Author Topic: Re: Audrey GLEAVE | 73, Murdered (Dec 2010) | Hamilton/Lynden  (Read 191682 times)

me

• View Profile
Re: Re: Audrey GLEAVE | 73, Murdered (Dec 2010) | Hamilton/Lynden
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
Capeheart, I agree with all you are saying, but what I think has happened here is that people are spreading rumours that may or may not have happened.  I'm quite certain that our local cops taken arsons very seriously, and if they had any hint that a homeless person was starting fires, they would have been all over him long ago.  This whole thing about the homeless man just doesn't sit right, it doesn't add up at all.  Who wouldn't make the effort to contact their neighbour to tell them that someone was living in their barn?  And if you didn't know the neighbour's name, wouldn't you put in a call to your local police?

2 german sheppards and a stranger got passed them, yet the dogs belonging to other neighbours went crazy?  Again, doesn't add up.

amIam

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 03:54:48 PM »
I as well feel this is a local rumour mill run wild.  Granted I don't live in Audrey's town but if so I would be frightendd as well.
2 german sheppards and a stranger got passed them, yet the dogs belonging to other neighbours went crazy?  Again, doesn't add up.
No..it doesn't add up.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
I am just wondering why the man that owned the barn had given this man permission to stay there? If that is true, would he have done a background check on him. Of course, he may not be the person who committed this crime. It also could be someone that certainly was not afraid of those dogs and they must have been in that home before. ??? ??? ???

DanielE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »
i think i can show some insight to this.
i live about five minutes from the crime scene and my family and i were questioned about suspicious activity in the area
first off, they are looking at the homeless man because he had been seen in the area walking the streets (which is very uncommon in the area we live) i myself have seen him leaning on our mailbox looking into our front window
the reason he was living in the barn was he had been assisting in cleaning the interior of the barn in trade for somewhere to live
the two large German Shepards she had in her home were called 'a vital role in the investigation' because a detail pertaining to the animals (location we assume) would only be known by the murder. we later learned that they had been locked in another room during the time of the attack
and yes, the neighbor's are quite unsettled by this, two years before a womens body was found in the graveyard beside Audreys home during a movie shoot. for a sleepy little town of 300 people this is shocking.
any other questions i could help with please ask, and i will try to answer. i dint know Audrey personally but i have met her a number of times and she will be a missed member of the community.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 11:27:35 PM »
Thanks DanielE!

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 09:49:04 AM »
DanielE, he certainly could be the person that committed this crime, especially if in broad daylight he was leaning on your mailbox, looking into your window. Now that would have freaked me out and I certainly would be contacting the police and asking some questions about his wanderings. I know the owner had wanted him to clean the barn and all, that is why he let him stay there. But the man that owned the barn should know better, especially if he did not know anything about this man. He should have done a background check. Who knows who this guy is, he could be in the country illegally and could be a serial killer for all anyone knows there. And was the crime related to the body found in the graveyard, solved. Just wondering. Thanks for posting your information. And this is a lot of crime for a small community. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

me

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
DanielE, you mention a woman's body being found next door to Mrs. Gleave's home a few years ago - was that murder solved?

DanielE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »
we have already contacted the police about the suspicious activity around our own home and have been questioned about it, which lead police to search buildings near my home which turned out to be vacant. There are issues connecting the homeless man to the murder because even though he had been seen wandering, there are no positive id's of him to say he is the same person as found to be living in the barn. All sightings have either been obstructed or too far of a distance to be sure. He hasn't been seen since the murder occurred but that is not viable evidence to pin the crime on him. As per the body in the graveyard, it hadn't been a recent crime when it was discovered and there was very minimal media coverage leading me to believe it it was a cold case. Although don't quote me on it.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
Was the homeless man around at the time of the body being found in the graveyard?  Or is he fairly new to the area?  How old would you put him at?   

I thought I read that they had just put the homeless guy in jail on other charges...No?   

The dogs may have been somewhat familiar with this guy if he was seen around...and he may have befriended them with treats, so it was easy to lock them in a room.

DanielE

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »
he is fairly new to the area as far as i know, the earliest i know of him being seen was about a month before the murder happened. he was seen in front of our home on December 17th. and yes the homeless man from the barn they were investigating is in jail for weapons charges right now. The dogs are a difficult aspect to understand because since there were no witnesses, they may have been locked in the room before the time of the murder. I myself keep my dog locked in my basement during the night to keep him from destroying our house.

amIam

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »
DanielE..so we are speaking of 2 homeless men?  I am confused.  Not meaning you making this convoluted..just that it's confusing with LE giving so much info. IE cause of death, etc  and now what??  Not much LE info coming forward.
Was it habit for Audrey to place her Sheppard's in a room when someone came?  Am wondering if she had an appointment scheduled..a repair or something?
I for one prefer to permit my dog to do her thing when strangers come to the door.  I do not hustle her off to  a room and lock her in..I have her for a reason and this is one.  All too often, smiling strangers show up at a front door, dogs go nuts and to dispel the din, the owners hustle them off to  a room and lock them up.
No point to have a guard dog at that rate.
Not meaning Audrey was in error and a victim of her own demise..just a caution.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »
I usually step outside the door and close it behind me when a stranger comes knocking.   My 2 dogs are on the other side, and my hand is on the doorknob, I would open it, if need be.     I think said stranger would be very scared at that point.    If I am expecting a delivery, I put the big dog outside, and leave the little one in (drives every crazy with his sniffing...lol)
I understand some people just lock their dogs away in a room, as they tend to 'nip' visitor's hands on entry.  Perhaps that is what Audrey did.  Although, on the other hand, I am not so sure she would trust anyone if she was a reclusive type person.  Especially 2 German Shephards...pretty good guard dogs....usually.

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
I have a VERY friendly Labrador that can turn vicious in a heart-beat.  I had her trained to be a guard dog.  The trainer told ME to listen to HER.  When she barks, don't tell her to stop.... she is trying to tell you something.  As she gets older she has become more discerning with her attempts at getting my attention.  Also, when someone comes to the door, whether I am expecting company or not, regardless of whether I know them or not, the routine is always the same:  She barks her fool head off, she comes to my left side, I hold her collar with my left hand, open the door with my right hand.... and I don't talk to the guest until the dog has stopped barking.  Once "vicious guard dog" starts to wag her tail (because she recognizes the person) then I ask them to pet her.  I NEVER use her name in front of people I don't know.  Also, when we are out for a walk, it is for exercise.  I don't allow her "to sniff the flowers" or stop to meet other dogs or visit people.  There's a time and place for socializing.... we do that with our friends and family.

To make a long story short, for being a VERY friendly dog and probably the most popular breed, you would never guess that she is a diehard guard dog that means business.  It's a God-send for me to have her and she is worth her weight in gold.  She hears, senses and smells things long before I ever would.  She is extremely loyal (that is why I chose a Labrador) and she never leaves my side.

A few years ago I placed an order with Bell Canada to have ExpressVu Satellite installed.  During the booking they told me that it was their company policy that their employees would not enter the premises if a dog was on the loose.  I told them to cancel my order (and I would sign up with Shaw).  Conveniently enough, they were able to locate a service technician who was "dog-friendly" who could come the next day to do the installation.  He explained to me that it was a Liability Issue.... and Workers' Compensation had enforced that policy on Bell's Employees.  Funny thing was, the Satellite install guy didn't even have proper ID on him.

Anyway.... instill a good relationship with your dog and they will cherish you forever!   :) :) :) :)

amIam

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 04:03:40 PM »
Been thinking of Audrey being labled by the media and a few neighbours as being reclusive.  This to mind conjures up a hermit type of person.  And yet she had friends..met them each Weds.  Her real friends have mentioned she was a very private person, never remarried even years after
her divorce.  Audrey was a dedicated teacher, her students adored her..doesn't seem a
reculsive sort to me..to the contrary, she was very outgoing.  But however a private person.  Nothing really wrong with that to my mind. 
Perhaps Audrey..a long time resident of the area really did not have the need to interact with t5he neighbours that come and go in a year or so.  To me, it's obvious there were only one or two who even bothered. 
So really, how can these people even make a comment Audrey was a recluse? 
Did the " neighbours" in her area even bother to knock on her door and check up?

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 06:03:59 PM »
You have a point.  Just because one doesn't socialize with the neighbours, they really shouldn't be branded reclusive.   We don't socialize much with the neighbours, but tend to stick more with family.  Never did partake much in the bonfires/pig roasts...but I don't think we are recluses..we are just more private too.