Author Topic: Missing sister in Winnipeg area. FOUND!!!  (Read 19155 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Missing sister in Winnipeg area. FOUND!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 05:29:29 PM »
In my opinion, and it is my personal opinion, there are some people who go missing because they choose to.  There are others who go missing not of their own free will. It is difficult to know at times.  But I have learned from being on this site, that family members usually can distinguish between the two. They know it in their loved ones back ground, and feel it their hearts.

Peace
JB

I totally agree with this statement Jellybean. Wish families were taken more seriously, regarding 'what they feel' when someone first goes missing. Yes, some people go missing because they choose to, but many do not. 

Speaking from personal experience, and also from being on this site for a while, it is my opinion that in many instances and particularly in the case of young people who are often labeled as 'run aways', much valuable time is lost in the first hours, when time is so important.

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 11:50:47 PM »
I can agree too but as much as she liked her space I think, she still made contact with us and sometimes did ask for a little money but not often and only when she was really tight, I cant see her not needing anything in ten years but you never know. Being the loner she was she only had what she could make to survive on. I truely believe she had gone to live on the streets and may have gotten hurt or something, she didnt hesitate to call collect when she wanted contact but would be a year or so apart in calls. Sounds like I have a bad feeling about this but as years go by and nothing from her it gets harder to believe she is still around.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 12:12:06 AM »
from JB:
But I have learned from being on this site, that family members usually can distinguish between the two. They know it in their loved ones back ground, and feel it their hearts.

Sally, it seems like your last post is an example of what JB is referring to in the above quote. It does sound like you have some feeling about your sister.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
quote: I truely believe she had gone to live on the streets and may have gotten hurt or something, she didnt hesitate to call collect when she wanted contact but would be a year or so apart in calls. Sounds like I have a bad feeling about this but as years go by and nothing from her it gets harder to believe she is still around.

Ten years is a long time without hearing from her. Did family move and change their phone number??  If the phone number is still the same, and no calls in 10 years. .. who can say? But on the other hand, with your sister only calling once a year, it is hard to say why she stopped calling.

What about your parents?  How did they feel about losing contact with her? Did they make attempts to contact her over the years?  When did the family  become alarmed?
It is also possible that she passed on, and if she did not have any ID, she would be considered a Jane Doe. The police would do everything possible to contact the family if she had ID on her. 

On the other hand, your sister may be blissfully carrying on doing her own thing.
If you make the contacts as have been suggested by posters, you may be able to make some head way  in finding out what happened to or where your sister is.  It is good launching pad.

Also, Here is a link to homeless shelters in Winnipeg.  It is another possible connection for you.
http://homelessnation.org/node/338

This is given in hopes that you can locate your sister.

Peace
JB

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:56:35 PM by jellybean »

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 12:59:41 AM »
Thanks for those replies, sorry I haven been on in a coupla days. I am checking that link out JB, might help.

Family hasnt moved since she was last seen and phone numbers are still the same. The only change is that my brother in Onterio has moved but she could find him in the phone listings and my grand mother had passed on, Parents still same place and same number.

Parents did go to find her once before this happened when she had not called in a while and they found her but since that we have not found or heard from her. They feel quite bad about it, mother feels a loss. We became alarmed about it after the third Christmas because she could go two years but never went much longer then that before calling at least me if not our parents too.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
Sallysmart, it is a long time with no contact from your sister. And I am sure she would contact some family members at around Christmas time or check in around then. If you have checked all of the areas, homeless shelters and places for her, it is strange that nobody has a record of seeing her around the area. It is a cruel and violent world out there and I do wish you success in finding your sister. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;) ;) ;) ;)

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 04:18:21 PM »
Since 10 years have  passed,  and you wish to follow some resources, it is important that you give yourself a timeline.  A quitting point, and then you can assure yourself that you did your very best to locate her.  If you do not meet with success in locating her, remember her for the sweet eccentric that she was.

Peace
JB

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »
Given the time that has passed, I think you should report her as missing to the police.

I run the North American Missing Persons Network www.nampn.org and would be happy to assist you in any way I can. Please email me at nampnwebmaster@gmail.com if you want my help.

lilykins

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 06:57:53 AM »
Have you found your sister?

MSprenkels

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 11:54:21 AM »
I would file a police report as well.
I had a family member that went "missing" by choice.  We tried to track her down and police told us if they ever ran into her, they could tell her to call us but could not force anything.  Calling Social Assitance was useless for us as well.. The last time we had seen her was in the 90's when her son was 6, they contacted us via Facebook when he turned 18.  The man she had married had certain religous beliefs and her family had to follow them.  She was afraid we would call social services because they lived out of a truck and did not believe in the schooling system, ect.  They worked under the table, so their SIN numbers would not have given us any info anyways.
Hopefully she will decide to call.. If she was a proud person, as you say, she may be embaressed by her current situation and feels she shouldn't ask for help.  Most officers who patrole the streets may recognize your discription or possible a name.  If she had limited money, I doubt she would leave the area.  I know in Vancouver, the police are very familiar with the homeless people as they see them daily...

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »
Hi all. Just wanted to say thanks for everything you all said and did to help me with finding my sister. Having had other family medical issues to deal with as well I have not been in here much and with all the other searches I had going as well for my sister.
I want you all to know she has been found... Alive and doing ok. She has issues herself and those issues make her wander off and distance herself from family and friends, usually a year or so but this time she pulled a whammy on us. We could not find her, all attempts to find her were blocked by a name change she did.
I am glad there is a site like this and I am happy to report a good ending. We have made her promise to not let that happen again for that long, sure had us worried but like some people, she doesnt understand how family can worry so much.

Thank you all so much and I hope many more happy endings will happen. I will continue to recommend this site as I have already a few times. Good luck everyone and take care of yourselves. Hugs....

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 11:12:57 PM »
Thanks for the update on your sister Sallysmart. I'm happy she was found safe. I can imagine that it was a huge relief to know she was ok. A great outcome.

SAP

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 09:16:54 AM »
Thanks Sally. So happy you have found your sister. There are so few happy endings, so it is exciting when family have resolve like your family have. Best of health and happiness to all of you. :)

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »
Happy she has surfaced and hope the family can stay closer and be supportive as I think she needs it.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 06:04:07 PM »
What a wonderful ending, and a new beginning for your family.  Thank you so much Sallysmart for taking the time to let us know that your sister has been found safe.

How wonderful, Happy Happy Joy and what a relief it must be for you and her family.  :)

If there is one thing, if I might ask;

How did you track her down and locate her?

The reason why I am asking, is because whatever methods you used, might be helpful to OTHER FAMILIES, who are presently looking for their loved ones, and perhaps they may utilize the same route that you took in locating your sister.
It would be helpful to us if you would share!!

Take care, and Congratulations on locating your "special sister", after a 10 year absence from your life!!
God Bless you.

JB
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:11:43 PM by jellybean »