Author Topic: Missing sister in Winnipeg area. FOUND!!!  (Read 19094 times)

Sallysmart

• View Profile
Missing sister in Winnipeg area. FOUND!!!
« on: December 27, 2010, 12:37:13 AM »
Hello all. I am new here and I hope to find my sister.
She went missng sometime after 1998 when she stopped calling any of the family. She is Blondish, usually short hair, 5.5ft, light skin, and would have been about 27 if she went missing then and would be 47 now. She had a bad habit of not calling anyone for a year or so but hasnt called anyone in the family since about 1998 or 99 as far as we can last figure. We have hopes she is still alive but some doubts too. Last seen in Winnipeg around the Portage ave area. She did not live on the streets usually but may have ended up there if work and money became a problem which is a good possibility.
She was not the kind to work the streets but was a street smart kind of person. She had an interest in mechanical stuff. For family protection I am going to give her initials only here for now till I talk to the rest of the family. If you know her please let me know. Her initials are S M. She always dressed in a boyish kind of way, jeans or cords and boots or hushpuppy kind of shoes, (comfort shoes) and sometimes died her hair black.
She road a bike often or walked even tho she had a licence and sometimes a car.
Last we seen of her she was living in a low income apartment building in the busy part of the city I believe near Portage area. My family hopes to hear from her soon or from someone about her where abouts. Please let me know if you know anything about her, I will say this and its not nice but she'd be seen as a hobo kinda girl and has lived in campers and possibly tents before due to rent costs and unability to cover it. She was also a collecter of gadgets and odd things. Ok that is my bit for now, hoping someone will be able to help me. And thanks Chris for helping me with my membership.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:09:55 PM by Sallysmart »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Missing sister in Winnipeg area. FOUND!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:51:13 AM »
Hi Sallysmart, and welcome.

I hope someone reading will recognize this person as your sister. You've included a lot of helpful information, but it would be better if you could include her full name, and not just initials. Perhaps after you talk to your family you can change the information?

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 01:24:16 AM »
I know but right now the family doesnt know I am going this route and not sure how it would be taken, our family has lived in many places in Canada holding on to many friends along the way and I wouldnt want someone to call my mother and start with that "Oh I am sorry to hear" stuff, is hard enough on her and my dad as it is now. If anyone does know her tho they will know her name by those initials unless she changed her name which would make it harder anyway and that too is possible cos she talked about it often when she was younger. What I have said so far will stand out to anyone who has crossed her path and also another thing, she can get uspet easily too if triggered, she was dealt a crappy hand of cards at one point in her life and was finding things hard to cope with.
She is a very standout kind of person just cos she is tomboyish like, also has a distinct walk like she is always headed somewhere in a hurry and her standing posture is not all that good.
One more thing, she wears perscrip glasses and usually shaded.
Thanks for your reply so soon.

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 01:27:47 AM »
BTW, I messed up on the dates and have changed them above, sorry fingers doing their own thing with the keys.

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 03:21:32 AM »
One other quick question I would like to ask. I used to be able to find cold case Jane Doe sites for Canada that I would go on and see if I could recongnise her from reconstructed photos and such of jane doe people. I cant seem to find the site anymore. Does anyone know if we can still access such a site for Canada? I have found several for the US but I dont believe she would go across the line.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:49:36 AM »

Hi Sally.

I've posted a link for 'The Doe Network' below. That will give you a place to start. Hope that helps.

http://www.doenetwork.org/

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »
Thank you, this looks like one of the sites I had before, must not be typing it in the search right. Will go through it today.

SAP

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
Welcome Sally.
I'm sure you and your family have already tried the following, but I'll mention a few things anyway.
Since you have mentioned that your sister may have had limited funds for apartments, etc, have you checked and rechecked with:

-friends your sister had; any people who may have known her in the past
-homeless shelters
-other provincially sponsored housing for people in need
-food bank personnel in various areas (with a description)
-Social Services
-hospitals
-secondary care facilities, in case she has become disabled to live on her own (in cases of amnesia, etc.)

I wish your family success in finding your sister and may the New Year bring resolutions for you and many others.  :)

eta: here's a checklist compiled by a member here; perhaps it may help in checking and ruling out:

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,3766.0.html
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:47:43 AM by SAP »

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 11:00:34 AM »
Yes SAP, we have tried most of those things but will be trying some of them again. As far as her friends she was kind of secretive so didnt bring us to her friends when we visited her, couldnt get to know many she knew. I know there was one woman who she knew that had a very different name she used to talk about, to try and remember it almost drove me nuts, would have written it down if I hada known this was gonna happen. She never shared much with us and if we asked she wanted to know if we were writing a book. We did find her SIN number in some stuff she left at my parents during a time she was looking for a new place to live so did a search with social services using that and nothing came up. I know she didnt like to ask for anything from others so would take lots for her to go to the system to ask for money but then again a person would if there is just nothing left. I think she'd go out on the street and end up being like a bag lady first but I could be wrong. My parents went looking for her in Winnipeg once before she actually did quit calling and spotted her on the street if you can believe that. She didnt take them to her place of living, instead suggested they go sit in a restaurant to visit. My parents were on their way across Canada and had just thought to try and find her so at that time they were just glad to have found her so that was ok at that time. That is the last time she was seen or heard from by any family and it was the Portage area.
Thanks for the link, I will go over that checklist, might be helpful. You are all being so helpful. Glad I found this site.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:27:04 AM by Sallysmart »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:12:08 PM »
Is it possible that your sister was embarrassed as to her then present lifestyle, for whatever reason, and hence the secretiveness? Independent people with pride, of which I believe your sister had by your description of her, will very often try and hide their present circumstances from their loved ones. As they feel that it would not be met with approval?

Obviously she is well loved.

Peace
JB

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »
That is quite a possibility, and is what we hope to be honest with you.

She never was a neat freak of any kind and collects lots of gadgets and stuff so was never one to invite others to her place often unless she wanted you there. I stayed with her a week while visiting before all of this when she was living in an apartment (I think on Winnipeg Ave) in a three story house on the top floor. It was a tiny place and was cluttered but You do what you can when that is all you can afford. That was back when she had a job tho and a couple years later my parents spotted her on the street I believe on Portage ave but she never brought them to where she lived at that time, instead they went to a restaurant and my parents were just happy they had found her during a trip across Canada they were on at the time. That was the last time she was seen or heard from about ten years ago.

If anyone one in Winnipeg was to spot her on the street they would spot her easily, she walks with a forward posture like she is headed somewhere fast, is always in warmer comfort kind of clothing boyish looking stuff. She didnt like the frilly things, ever, not even as a kid.

It was asked and even thought of, could she be in the gay scene or even cult like stuff. She has this huge thing about not letting anyone that close to her cos they might want what is hers. If you made friends with her she is all good about that till you ask for something in return or you dont agree with her woes. She has this thing about you taking other peoples side then if you dont just agree with her. Not that she wouldnt offer something, she has a good heart but she doesnt like to think you'd take from her without her offering. SHe was involved with the church of scientology for a short time till it was suggested she do something she didnt like, (Not sure what it was) so in anger she left that scene telling me it was cult like. I dont know much about it but I just remember the incident.

She is not religious but does look to find people who will listen to her and will support her thoughts and if you were the kind who would ask to hear both sides of the story you are not HER friend, this is a chip on her shoulder she had never been able to shake off. Even as a kid she wanted her side heard but didnt think the other persons side should be part of what happened. This is why she has trouble coping with jobs and people.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 04:00:33 PM »
I have a feeling that she will re-surface.  I wonder if it is possible that she has an undiagnosed mental health issue? Able to cope in her own way. Defensive and leery? I do not mean to be unkind. We human beings are complicated, are we not?  By your description of her one would call her nice, but eccentric.  In our society that is certainly allowed. But occasionally, some eccentric people can take it to the Max.

You said that the last time there was contact was 10 years ago. Am I right in this?  That is a very long time.  So, how old would she be today?

When making contact with social agencies,  such as welfare, or social housing.They are not allowed to say anything, Confidentiality and all of that. So it would be difficult to get a Real answer.  Not helpful, and frustrating.  On a topic of  bag ladies, or people of collector of items, they  will keep their own areas.  They will look for posessions in the same areas and they have their routine.  You can time them. They are very particular as to where they look, what they decide to keep, and keep a regular schedule.  This state of mind is a gradual thing, (in my opinion.)

I will watch for your postings.  She is very lucky that she has you. However,  being the independent soul that she is, she may not realize it.

Peace
JB

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 04:10:31 PM by jellybean »

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »
Thanks Jellybean, Nope wont be offended at what comes of this topic, All suggestions are a possibility and are and will be looked at. You are right she does have a special way of keeping things as they should be with her things and her way of doing stuff.

One thing that is possible is she had a breathing problem at birth and they told my parents back then she might have lost some oxygen to the brain. Of course that was not treated back then and people just gave her the "You have a bad attitude" thing when things went worng. I think she learned to just protect herself and deal with it as she knew best.

Yes we tried the social services thing and they wont give information, privacy thing, and sure makes it hard to search for someone lost in the Boonies.

Sallysmart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 04:12:02 PM »
Also I heard that people who collect want to be secure about something. One I heard lately is a woman who collects teddy bears (like a room full) might be a person who needs the security they wanted as a child but might not have had. She was a gadget collector and liked to fix things on her own even modify them for her use. She was smart about stuff like that, very mechaniccally inclined.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 04:12:18 PM »
How old would she be today?

Peace
JB