Author Topic: Aaron Shoulders - Unsolved Murder - Calgary (August 2003)  (Read 12943 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Aaron Shoulders - Unsolved Murder - Calgary (August 2003)
« on: June 17, 2007, 02:14:09 PM »

I normally don't include gang murders, but this victim was in fact not gang member rather a victim of gang violence. He was young and a good member of society when he was ruthlessly murdered by a bunch of thugs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a website his family made
http://www.aaronshoulders.ca

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE CALGARY SUN July 24th 2005

By Mike D?Amour

Grieving mom seeks justice
City mother still seeks son?s killer

Police admit one murder suspect dead

While a mother continues to crave justice for her son murdered in a violent brawl, cops admit one suspect is dead, gunned down outside a downtown bar.

Aaron Shoulders died after being beaten and stabbed Aug. 17, 2003, by a mob of men outside NYLA, a nightclub at 1 ST. and 12 AVE. S.W.

The 18-year-old died in Hospital 15 days later. No one has been arrested for the murder.
Police were looking at John Pheng, a gangster they say committed at least one murder before he was gunned down in a shootout, said Staff Sgt. Barry Cochran of homicide unit.
?Pheng certainly was a person of interest, someone we were looking at,? said Cochran.
Pheng was a 23-year old gang enforcer, who was feared on the streets.

He was killed February at the Shaken Drink Room, after a fight broke out between two groups at 17 Ave. S.W. bar.

Cops say Pheng is the man responsible for murdering 18-year-old Tay ?Jason? Dang in a Jan. 1, 2004, stabbing murder.

The question is whether or not he was also responsible for Shoulders stabbing death.
Shoulders would have turned 20 today. Now instead of throwing a party for her son, Steffi Stehwien is hoping someone will call the cops and bring her boy?s killer to justice.
Stehwien said she?s convinced there are witnesses who could put the finger on the person who killed her son.

?Before Aaron died, he told me from his Hospital bed he was attacked by a dozen Asian men, and the stabbed with a single thrust of a knife,? Stehwien said.

?People saw that attack, in fact, I know some of the witnesses went to school with Aaron, but they say they?re too scared to tell what they know.

?A murderer could be brought to justice with a phone call to police, but no one will make that call?.

That?s the hurdle in Shoulders? death and some of the other 11 unsolved murders in 2004 and 2005.

If you have any information about any unsolved murder, call the gang hotline at 206-8191 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

PLEA FOR HELP ? Steffi Stehwien, mom of murdered teen Aaron Shoulders, is asking witnesses to come forward.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:07:24 PM by Chris »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Aaron Shoulders - Unsolved Murder - Calgary (August 2003)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 02:06:56 PM »
He was just what appears to be, a good kid who went out for a night of fun only to be murdered by a gang of 12 savages.

And what bothers me the most is, all those witness's who must have seen something and don't come forward.

I'm pleased the police seem to be working on this still and they must be frustrated at how cowardly people can be at times.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:43:13 PM by Chris »

Jason van Rassel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:35:43 PM »
The reason I made this topic sticky, is because it is one of those cases that go almost no attention by any media. I think the reason is, they just assume the kid was a gang member.

With due respect, Chris, I have personally written nine articles about this case over the years -- and I have never assumed Aaron was a gang member.

I just searched the Infomart database and the case has been mentioned in 75 articles in the Herald and the Sun alone. While Aaron's case wouldn't be the focus of every article, certainly the majority of them would be primarily about his murder.

Additionally, I've mentioned Aaron's case several time on my crime blog -- often with details about the case not known or reported by other media outlets:

http://jasonvanrassel.wordpress.com/unsolved/ and here: http://jasonvanrassel.wordpress.com/2010/05/29/trial-reveals-killings-gang-links/

I don't think you meant to specifically pick on me, Chris, and I don't mean to pick on you because I respect what you do on this site. However, it just seems in many instances people unfairly accuse the media of "paying no attention" to a case based on their own hazy recollection of the press coverage. Yet time after time, I search the archives and turn up dozens of articles. I was on Facebook recently monitoring a group devoted to the unsolved killing of a Sikh man, where someone alleged the case received "no attention" and would have been on the front page if the victim was Caucasian. When I checked the media archive, I found out the story was on the front page. Again, I respect what this site is doing -- it would be nice if our efforts in the media were similarly recognized.

I've pasted below one of the many articles I've written about the case. It's not the best or the most lengthy -- in fact, it was a sidebar to an article about another unsolved case, the murder of Mark Poovong -- but it contains clarifying information regarding the role of John Pheng. Contrary to the Sun article from 2005, Pheng is NOT considered a suspect in Shoulders' killing, but was instead suspected of stabbing one of Aaron's friends.

'Does anybody have a conscience anymore?' asks grieving mom
Calgary Herald
Wed Apr 29 2009

Jason van Rassel
Calgary Herald

Steffi Stehwien knows the pain experienced by Mark Poovong's family all too well.

Not only was her son, Aaron Shoulders, likely killed by gang members, the crime also remains unsolved despite dozens of witnesses.

Shoulders, 18, was mortally wounded in August 2003 as he stepped in to protect a companion who was being attacked by a group of men outside the now defunct nyla nightclub on the 1st Street S. W. bar strip.

Like Poovong, Shoulders wasn't a gang member, but he fell victim to the violence that is all too common in their world.

"Aaron hated violence and would always step in. But that night was not a good night to step in," Stehwien said.

John Pheng, a member of the FOB Killers gang who was murdered two years later, was suspected of stabbing one of Shoulders' friends, but he was never charged with the crime.

A war between the FOB Killers and their rivals, FOB, is responsible for at least 25 homicides since 2002 -- 23 of them remain unsolved.

The death toll illustrates the gangs won't hesitate to use deadly violence against each other, and Pheng showed they also have little regard for the lives of anyone who crosses them.

In addition to being involved in the melee that led to Shoulders' death, Pheng stabbed and killed 18-year-old Jason Dang, who was dating his ex-girlfriend.

"Gang members in Calgary have a greater propensity for violence, and there are other families out there who are suffering like the Poovong family," said acting staff Sgt. Gord Eiriksson of the organized crime operations centre.

Pheng was never charged with killing Dang, but investigators linked him to the crime after he was shot and killed in 2005.

Shoulders' attacker, however, has never been identified, despite the crime happening on a crowded street as the bars on 1st Street S. W. emptied out.

the fact no one has ever provided investigators with information that could implicate shoulders' killer is doubly painful to his mother.

"It sickens me. It outrages me. I can't live in a society like that," Stehwien said.

"Does anybody have a conscience anymore?"
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 03:57:18 PM by Jason van Rassel »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:50:04 PM »
With due respect, Chris, I have personally written nine articles about this case over the years -- and I have never assumed Aaron was a gang member.

I just searched the Infomart database and the case has been mentioned in 75 articles in the Herald and the Sun alone. While Aaron's case wouldn't be the focus of every article, certainly the majority of them would be primarily about his murder.

Additionally, I've mentioned Aaron's case several time on my crime blog -- often with details about the case not known or reported by other media outlets:

Do you know what? You're right I was wrong. I know you guys in the Sun covered this back in the day, I was still living in Calgary then. I lived 1 block from that intersection for a while. I only read the Sun, but watching TV more for news then. A Channel barely covered it, and what they did cover, gave me the impression it was just a gang killing. Not srue why, it could have just been my assumption I admit.

I guess it bothers me because 1 year later, an innocent girl in Toronto was killed by gang members, although that case she was just a bystander and Aaron appears to hav been targeted.

That Toronto murder was national news for over a month. And I happened to be in Ottawa in Sept 2005 when a girl simply went missing and it became a national news story with 24 hour updates.

Aaron I believe was just a dude like me, who in my younger years, went to that same bar (under a different name) and think that could have been me.

I know you Sun folks write a lot of local news and cover things very well, I am sorry to have said what I said. It's probably just I identify with this guy I suppose.

Jason van Rassel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:23:15 AM »
Do you know what? You're right I was wrong. I know you guys in the Sun covered this back in the day, I was still living in Calgary then. I lived 1 block from that intersection for a while. I only read the Sun, but watching TV more for news then. A Channel barely covered it, and what they did cover, gave me the impression it was just a gang killing. Not srue why, it could have just been my assumption I admit.

No worries, Chris. I don't think it's a clear-cut case of right and wrong, and again, it's certainly not my intention to call you out. It's just been my experience that few people actually remember how much coverage there was -- or wasn't -- off the tops of their heads.

If I sounded defensive, it's probably only because I've taken a bit of a personal interest in the case over the years. Really, reporters shouldn't be in my business if they don't have a thick skin. My aim is not so much to "defend" as it is to "explain." I actually welcome forums like this and social media like Twitter because they give us an opportunity to engage people and talk to them about what we do and how and why.

And last, but not least, I actually work for the Herald -- you're not totally off, though, because I was a reporter at the Sun for a few years.  :D

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
Oh OK the Herald, sorry about that. I used to read the Sun when I was there. And no I did not take offense, and I do appreciate an honest response to issues and comments etc.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »
We have had in Alberta so many young, and bright men and yes even women taken down for no reason.  They are innocent. Where will it all end?

SAP

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 12:07:50 PM »
Canada rescued the Triad scum after the Americans messed up Viet Nam. They should never have been left into the country as in some cases their history with violence was known and government turned a blind eye. They (Triads) should all be sent back to receive their just punishment in their own country. Why save such scum? They are by far the most violent and their penchant for procuring very  young girls barely past puberty for prostitution is just evil. They have no conscience.