Author Topic: Mary Ann Plett - September 15, 1971 - Age 29 - Edmonton - Murdered  (Read 16862 times)

FairJustice

• View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Plett - September 15, 1971 - Age 29 - Edmonton - Murdered
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »
As the people who named the suspect are now in their late 70's and 80's, soon there will be little chance to interview anyone related to this case. The suspect named was also employed at a rival real estate office in Edmonton, and was vocal in his belief that woman in real estate were unwelcome competition. The suspect still lives in Edmonton. The media was contacted when case updates were featured in the Edmonton Sun and Edmonton Journal. We can only assume that there was little evidence to charge the suspect and interest was dropped. The Canadian legal system just doesn't seem to have the tenacity, follow-through and media support (Dateline, 20/20) perceived in the US, nor is Canadian sentencing appropriate. I don't agree with suspect "witch-hunts", but would like to see full disclosure of the reasoning behind clearing the suspect in this case.   

Sap1

• View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Plett - September 15, 1971 - Age 29 - Edmonton - Murdered
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 12:54:26 PM »
I don't know if things have changed in the real estate field/other sales fields over the years but it's true that there was a lot of backstabbing and competition between people in the field. I tried the sales field in the late 70's and had enough of the back biting and customer grabbing people and the uninvited advances the males seemed to project towards females who worked hard.
So I do believe that a jealous competitor could have been the culprit.
Yes our justice system leaves a lot to be desired. I am still floored over the fact that defense lawyers can keep heavily damning evidence sealed b/c it is too prejudicial to the perpetrator of a crime!