Author Topic: Mary Ann Plett - September 15, 1971 - Age 29 - Edmonton - Murdered  (Read 16861 times)

Desespere

Mary Ann Plett - September 15, 1971 - Age 29 - Edmonton - Murdered - Mary Ann was a successful young real estate agent working in Edmonton. Mary Ann Plett was an Edmonton real estate saleswomanwho went missing in the Looma area 30 k southeast ofEdmonton on Sept 15, 1971 after meeting with a prospectiveclient named "James Cooper." Police were apparently neverable to locate such a person. The most recent article that we found is from 1989, and at that time the case was stillopen and unsolved. We found this information in the following article: Acreage sale led agent to her death; Trip with clientturned; [Final Edition]GREG OWENS. Edmonton Journal. Edmonton, Alta.: Jun 24,1989. pg. B.2

The above taken from a post made by Fraser October 29, 2009 and quoted from this link
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,416.msg51740.html#msg51740

The man calling himself "James Cooper" claimed to be from Winnipeg but police feel he was and Edmontonian.

Not long after Mary Ann's disappearance another female real estate agent received a call from a man claiming to be "Dave Cooper", also claiming to be from out of town "east" wanted to arrange to see an acreage property out of town. She was too busy to schedule the viewing. The man who called the agent claiming to be Dave Cooper had a deep gravelly voice.

For over three years we have been searching whether Mary Ann Plett's murder was ever solved as there is no information on police sites. I haven't looked very well however and there could be more info on police sites and I just haven't found them.

A book recently reviewed online in a post dated July 10, 2010 and published by Lone Pine Publishing has a chapter about Mary Ann Plett's still unsolved murder. This confirms to me Mary Ann is another unsolved murder from Edmonton.

Another book published in 1993 is available to read online, at least some parts as I've not read other cases than Mary Ann's. That book is called Deadly Encounters: True Crime Stories of Alberta by Barbara Smith. There is a detailed chapter about Mary Ann Plett's murder and recovery. Google search the book and you should be linked to the online version of the book.

I wonder why there is no information on police sites? Perhaps because she was recovered in Fort Assiniboine the Edmonton Police have no jurisdiction and it is either RCMP then or Fort Assiniboine had it's own force?

Mary Ann was abducted in or near Edmonton, she was an Edmontonian. Her remains were recovered April 17, 1972. Only her skull with full sets of teeth and a partial femur were recovered. She was positively identified through her teeth. Items of her clothing were found scattered around as well as her briefcase. Mary Ann was recovered 170km NW of her home in Edmonton.

The killer then drove Mary Ann's car past her real estate office at Graham Realty on Whyte Avenue and parked it in the parking lot of Don Wheaton Chev Olds two blocks away where a car attendant discovered it a few days later. Mary Ann's husband saw his wife's car drive by that day and tried to chase it but lost it a few blocks away. There was a man driving and the driver slowed as he passed Mary Ann's office.

There is more information in the 1993 book. I haven't been able to find online version of the newest book. That one I believe we will have to buy and read. Hopefully over time we will be able to add more to this record.

Mary Ann's husband was ruled out by lie-detector early on and was never considered a suspect.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:26:04 PM by Desespere »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Plett - September 15, 1971 - Age 29 - Edmonton - Murdered
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »
DES:  I remember that when it happened.  All realtors were spooked, and female realtors would take a male realtor with her on any showings. With the forensics that they have today, perhaps he would have been caught. Will definately read the suggested portions of the book online as you suggest.  Thanks

Peace
JB

Glen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:40:48 AM »
If I'm correct, I vaguely remember Mary Ann Plett. When I was only about 3 years old, she and her husband Jake were at the Southern Alberta Bible camp in Vauxhall Alberta. She and my mom helped out in the kitchen in the dining hall, and I remember Mary Ann laughing and scolding me for getting in the way. I remember when the abduction happened, it was big news...I was 9 years old by then. When her body was discovered in April 1972, the news story and her picture was posted in the Lethbridge Herald, and I thought "Wow! that's the same lady I remember from the bible camp!" Anyway, her husband wrote a book about the whole incident called 'Valley Of The Shadow'. Jake Plett re-married, but a few years later, both he and his wife perished in a plane crash. It's been 41 years now since the crime happened, but I still hope and pray that some day the crime will be solved.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:03:20 AM by Glen D. »

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
Very sad and reminds me of the more recent murder of real estate agent Lindsay Buziak, also unsolved.

Brazen of Mary Ann's killer to drive her car around like that. In terms of the luring out under false pretexes and the brazen behavior, I wonder if this killer could be the same as the Kelly Cook killer (10 yrs later) near Calgary, who lured Kelly out on fake babysitting job?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:27:27 PM by leonagleant »

Glen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 01:57:40 AM »
leonagleant,
It could be possible, but Edmonton has been known as a city with a high crime rate. Jake Plett mentioned in his book that Mary Ann's murderer based himself from Winnipeg, but he also stated that the killer could have been from Edmonton...who knows? For many years I've heard the term "The Mounties always get their man", but unfortunately that's not always the case.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »
So Mary Ann's husband also wrote a book? How did he know the murderer was from Winnipeg?

Glen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:00:22 AM »
I guess Mary Ann told her husband that the murderer who called himself "Mr. Cooper" was from Winnipeg, but Mr. Plett stated in his book that Cooper might have actually resided in Edmonton. Mr. Cooper was very careful not to reveal his presence to anyone but Mary Ann Plett. Mary Ann drove alone with Cooper out to the property (an acreage) and that was the end of her.

SAP

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 05:16:52 AM »
I doubt he was from Winnipeg as well. He knew his way around here in AB, having disposed of her near Fort Assiniboine. Somewhere a red truck comes in to play ...
Fort Assiniboine I believe is covered by RCMP from Swan Hills or Barrhead and they were at one time after anyone who had driven a red truck. Family friends' son drove a red Chevy at the time Mary Ann was discovered and he lived near there. He was pulled out of his truck and man handled by RCMP in the worst way and he was suspect in Mary Ann's murder until cleared. Since the Mr. Cooper had used Mary Ann's vehicle, he must have been seen leaving her car in Edmonton and getting into a red truck. If police kept any dna they possibly found on/in Mary Ann's vehicle ... no matches ever made that we know of. The man could have been a transient worker from Swan Hills since at the time, SH was booming with oil companies. Some of the men employed there were of questionable character.

After Mary Ann went missing, a pregnant young lab tech who worked at Misericordia went missing from a bus stop on 111 ave and 124 str, never to be seen again and there was a third incident of a missing woman as well.

LadyVenom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 11:14:11 PM »
so sad  :(

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 08:57:20 PM »
On page 70 of "Deadly Encounters: True Crime Stories of Alberta" by Barbara Smith, there is a reference to a strange phone call to Jake Plett by a man at the Saxony Hotel. This book excerpt is on Google. The man claimed Mary Ann Plett's remains were buried southwest of Cooking Lake. He claimed to have gotten this information in a dream, and used a divining tool to determine the location.

I am not able to copy and paste an excerpt from the book .

FairJustice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
As my parent's friends were related to Mrs. Plett, I can verify that several people did contact law enforcement with the name of a suspect and their reasons for suspecting the man they named as a suspect. The suspected man lived in Edmonton, not far from where Mrs. Plett's car was found; he generally fit the description of the suspect; he was known as a difficult and unstable man; he was prejudiced against women; his connection was his wife knew friends of Mrs. Plett. To our knowledge, the man suspected by friends of Mrs. Plett was never seriously investigated. We can only wonder why.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »
As my parent's friends were related to Mrs. Plett, I can verify that several people did contact law enforcement with the name of a suspect and their reasons for suspecting the man they named as a suspect. The suspected man lived in Edmonton, not far from where Mrs. Plett's car was found; he generally fit the description of the suspect; he was known as a difficult and unstable man; he was prejudiced against women; his connection was his wife knew friends of Mrs. Plett. To our knowledge, the man suspected by friends of Mrs. Plett was never seriously investigated. We can only wonder why.

Thank you for that information FairJustice. Often police will say they follow every lead, yet we hear this time and again they don't. Perhaps for the remaining family's sake, the information can be given to concerned journalists?

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 10:33:22 AM »
That is so true... the police call out for information and tips, but seldom respond it seems.  That is presently happening in the Kelly Cook case.  Members of a family suspect a family member, have stated same to the police and Major Crime Unit (so they tell me), but are not getting a response.  I've been told they were responded to initially (way back), at which time police promised to come to do a "formal interview".  Not only have they never shown up, but they are not responding to telephone messages either.  I believe the witnesses because I too, contacted them, leaving a message:  no response! 

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 12:04:13 PM »
Welcome to Unsolved - Fair Justice.

It must be very frustrating to have knowledge as to a possible suspect, and nothing has come of it.

jb