Author Topic: Corrine Belanger-DNA testing helped police lay charges in 2001 cold case murder  (Read 12868 times)

Sue

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:16:43 PM by Sue »

amIam

A Calgary man has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with a 2001 slaying.

Corinne Rita Belanger, 37, was found dead inside her northeast Calgary home on April 16, 2001. She died of gunshot wounds.

Barry David Brown, 50, was arrested by Calgary police on Friday. He has been charged with second-degree murder and will remain in police custody until his next court appearance.

Police say Brown was a friend of Belanger's estranged husband, but do not believe the husband played a role in her death.
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/12/18/cgy-murder-charges.html#ixzz18VUn2t3lhttp://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/12/18/cgy-murder-charges.html

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
From Sue:
I'm so happy for Corrine Belanger and her son and Family !! They arrested her husband for her MURDER! Way to go Calgary Detectives in the Homicide Department!

From amIam:
Police say Brown was a friend of Belanger's estranged husband, but do not believe the husband played a role in her death.
Read more:

I'm confused by these posts. This clearly says that the person who killler Corrine, Barry David Brown, was a friend of  the estanged husband, but do not believe the husband played a role in her death.

So it wasn't the husband?

amIam

Deb, yes, very confusing info.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
The killer was a friend of her ex husband.  I am confused to, because why is this on Terry Ann's thread? Did Terry and Corinne know each other? Or is it posted here, because Corinne did not have her own thread? ???

Carol-Lynn

Sue

From Sue:
I'm so happy for Corrine Belanger and her son and Family !! They arrested her husband for her MURDER! Way to go Calgary Detectives in the Homicide Department!
[/quote

From amIam:
Read more:

I'm confused by these posts. This clearly says that the person who killler Corrine, Barry David Brown, was a friend of  the estanged husband, but do not believe the husband played a role in her death.

So it wasn't the husband?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:58:55 PM by Sue »

Sue

jellybean,
I know Corrine sister . Also this was in the news paper about 3 weeks ago for New evidence on 4 cold cases in Calgary along with our daughter Terrie' case!
I'm sorry for the confusion on a early post saying the Detectives arrested the husband!
I was just so happy they caught the MURDERER, and that the family and Corrine will have justice.

Carol-Lynn

This is GREAT news. ;D Your right Sue I jumped to fast and debbiec helped out, It is now just a matter of time now,tick tick tick tick.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Sue, this is cause for celebration.  At last some justice and eventual peace for her family. Now let us hope and pray that they can do the same for your lovely Terry.

PEACE
JB

raisinpie

• View Profile
What could possibly be the motive?

both sides

• the deeper you dig..the more you find
    • View Profile
Vollmin, who retained custody of their son, was long considered a person of interest in the case, but police sources said he is no longer under suspicion.

At the time of the killing, Vollmin and Belanger, 37, were estranged, but still living in the same house with their son. Vollmin lived in the basement, while Corinne remained on the main floor.

This is excellent news that charges have been made. Hopefully a conviction and sentencing will follow.
However, the estranged ex being the POI and turns out it wasnt him..how often does this happen?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
He was probably considered a POI not because they believed he killed her, but more likely because they beleived his was involved in the killing. He had an alibi that was solid, and the DNA was not his. The police likely knew who did it a long time ago, but just short on proof.

It is weird his friend did the killing and he was not involved. It is not 100% certain yet I am sure, he still might have been, we might find out.

But I am glad that man talked to police and the media about the case. He did not run and hide, hiring a lawyer.

Just glad the Calgary cold case has the time and resources to start clearing these old cases, it is always good to steal the sleep from people who thought they got away with it.