Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Robert Hall, recently tried for crimes in London ON back in late 60's early 70's  (Read 7908 times)

Have faith

• View Profile
Re: Robert Hall, pedophile
I'll post this on this thread until we figure out where to put Hall.
 Hall is a brazen, prolific sexual abuser who came across as a friendly young man. There are a few of us who wonder if he was capable of murder.  Here are some of the red flags that made me suspicious of this.

-he was violent in an attack on a young boy, as far back as 1965
-In 1971 his finacee suffered a nervous breakdown shortly before their wedding. They never married.
-His good friend and boarder from the 60's and 70's apparently committed suicide, after police questioned him about the recent trial victims
-He owned "cool" vehicles, including a Jag, VW van,T-bird, Isetta, Amphicar (also goes in water) as well as a truck and motorcycle. "Kid Magnets" possibly. Strangely, all ownership documents were destroyed in a fire, where they were stored.
-He took some of his victims camping

Members on this site seem to be very interested in the locations of abductions and the locations where the bodies are found. These are considered to be the killer's "comfort zone", meaning he knows the area well and feels comfortable disposing of bodies there without detection. The fact that Hall was a camper led me to expand my research on Robert Staplyton to also include Frankie Jensen (9), Scott Leishman (16) and Robert James Brown (11). All 4 boys were abducted in 1968 or 1969.  With the exception of RS, the other 3 were either picked up, or dumped at, locations that were close to campgrounds.

I've tried to make connections between Hall and these victims, as outlined below.

Robert Bruce Stapylton, age 11, London
Disappeared June 1969, from Piccadilly St. home (2 blocks from Adelaide St. N)
Body found in a woodlot on Sunningdale Rd., just W of Adelaide St. N.
Cause of death: undetermined
No evidence of sexual assault (decomposition)

-Hall and RS lived 2 blocks, then 4 blocks apart in 1969
-Bruce was an avid camper
-Hall had a woodworking shop in his garage
- Robert S's father owned a Home Hardware store on Adelaide St. N.
- The local lumber store was 4 blocks from RS's home, on Adelaide St. N.
-Hall's backyard faced a park/field where young neighbour boys played. This was 2 blocks from RS's home.

Stapylton could have known Hall from the neighbourhood, or from hanging out at his father's store.

Scott Leishman, age 16, Thorndale
Disappeared March 21,1968 from Thorndale
Body found May 15, 1968 in Port burwell harbour
Cause of death: undetermined
Sexual assault: unclear
Some clothing was disturbed.

Scott spent the day with friends (school holiday) in Thorndale.  He was last seen getting into a cream coloured, medium compact car.

Campground in Thorndale:  River View, 22164 Valleyview Rd. Apparently the main intersection in Thorndale is Valleyview Rd. and Thorndale Rd.

Saunder's Auto Parts, Thorndale:  Hall was a mechanic.

Campgrounds in Port Burwell:  Big Otter Marina and Campground, Port Burwell Provincial Park

Frankie Jensen, age 9, London
Disappeared Feb. 9, 1968 from London
Body found April 9, 1968 In Thames River, Thorndale
Fractured skull, sexually assaulted, partially dressed

Frankie disappeared on his way to school in west London.  His body was found, as far as I can tell, very close to the River View campground at the Thames.  Valleyview and Nissouri roads run parallel with the Thames River between them.  The campground would be closed in April, and the two roads would be familiar (safe/comfort zone) to a camper or fisherman.

Robert James Brown, age 12, Wilfrid, On
Disappeared Aug. 3, 1968 from Pefferlaw, On
Last seen walking from a youth camp to his home in Wilfrid
Body never found.

Pefferlaw is a resort community on the SE shores of Lake Simcoe (York region), with camping, fishing, boating and many beaches. York Regional Police received a tip from "Western Ontario" of a possible connection of Robert to missing children in London.

I assume that Robert Hall's DNA is being processed, so time will tell if he was involved in any abductions. 

(I have phoned River View Campgrounds and left a message, and I also e-mailed them to ask if the camp, or another one was open in 1968. I have no replies, as yet).

Modify Jan. 4/11
River View was, and is the only campground in Thorndale.
Frankie Jensen's body was discovered north of this camp, which precludes it as a point of entry in the Thames.

Modified: July 3, 2011
Additional info re Bruce Stapylton being an avid camper
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:34:19 PM by Have faith »

goNgo

• View Profile
Robert Hall has been convicted of crimes against pre-pubescent/young adolescent boys.  The two most recent trials ocurred just this fall. 

Robert Hall was a mechanic, who also operated a boarding house.  One of the occupants of his boarding house was Bill Yates, a well-respected public school teacher.  A few days after police indicated to Robert Hall and Bill Yates in early 2008 that they were investigating sexual crimes against boys back in the late 60's/early 70's, Bill Yates disappeared.  Bill Yates' body was found drowned in the Thames River (which ran right behind his house) a couple of months later.

Since then Robert Hall has been charged for a number of offences against a number of young males.

Here are links to recent news articles:

Friendly London mechanic lured young boy, jury hears
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/11/08/16038741.html

Fear and shame 40 years later
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/11/09/16058166.html

‘It was not I,’ Hall testifies
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/11/15/16158646.html

Hall guilty on all counts
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/11/18/16207276.html

Hall 'rabid animal,' says victim
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/12/02/16410041.html

Elderly abuser gets three years in prison
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/12/09/16496241.html

Robert Hall is facing his next sentencing on Dec. 22.  Based on articles in the media, he has shown absolutely no remorse and tells his victims either that they are "cry babies", or that he has never known them. 

I believe that some people are born with an 'urge' that is socially unacceptable.  I also believe that most of these people feel guilty about their urges, since they know that they are socially unacceptable and that they are hurting someone else's life.  And then there are those that are like Robert Hall; those that are narcissistic and feel absolutely no remorse.  These people will never change (where is the motivation to change or to curb their desires?) and are an extreme danger to society.

I am very proud of the victims who came forward in this case so many years later.  I can't imagine how difficult that was after all of these year of suppressing feelings and feeling guilty (which is not justified!) to step forward and speak up.  I am so proud of you.  You are making it easier for other victims to step forward and recognize that it is NOT THEIR FAULT!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:53:50 AM by goNgo »

Have faith

• View Profile
Hi goNgo,

debbiec transferred my post from R. Stapylton's thread to this one. I didn't see your post until now.

I would aso like to express my admiration for those victims who came forward to put this pervert back in jail. They are incredibly brave to relive the nightmare of their childhood, and I hope that this trial has provided them with validation.  They were innocent victims of a "rabid animal".

Have faith

• View Profile
Can anyone answer these questions? Re: Robert Hall 1968 and 1969

-Where did Hall go camping, with or without victim(s)?

-Did he ever camp or fish in Thorndale on the Thames River, Port Burwell or Lake Simcoe?

-Did he ever sail the Amphicar in water?

-Did he own a cream coloured, medium compact car?

-What year did he move from Colborne St. to Waterloo St.?

-What London schools did his boarder Bill Yates teach at (Westdale Public School)?

Have faith

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Will both of you please keep us posted on this monster?  This type of person should be locked up forever. Who knows who will harm next if ever released.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Please keep us posted.

Peace
JB

Woodland

• View Profile
Between 1966 and 1996, Bill yates taught at the following schools in London, Ontario -

Woodland Hieghts
Wilton Grove
Aberdeen
Tweedsmuir

I did not see when he taught at these particular schools, if this was the correct order, or if this is all of them.

Have faith

• View Profile
Thank you Woodland for the elementary school list.

I received an e-mail from the owners of River View Campground in Thorndale.  They are the new owners and she states "I believe that the campground was here in the 1960's.  This is the only campground in Thorndale".
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:42:58 PM by Have faith »

goNgo

• View Profile
Carol-Lynn, here is the best I can do in this case (and not much help at that!).

This is a recent photo of Robert Hall, on the way to court in London with his wife.  (I found it 'creepy' that he and his wife -- who he married in the last number of years--  dressed alike.  Very weird.)

goNgo

• View Profile
Robert Hall spoke at his sentencing hearing.  It's a common tale.  Abuse begets abuse. (The judge reserved her decision until Jan. 4.

Molester recounts abuse as youth
By JANE SIMS, The London Free Press

Last Updated: December 23, 2010 7:34am

Convicted child molester Robert Hall didn’t apologize. Instead, he explained.

Standing in the prisoner’s box, at his sentencing hearing Wednesday for nine counts on four victims 40 years ago, the 72-year old cleared his throat and for the next 15 minutes said why he abused boys in his London neighbourhood.

“I heard (the victims) testify and I see their pain because I felt it too,” the former Londoner told Superior Court Justice Kelly Gorman.

“I understand it very deeply.”

Hall, jailed this month for another child-abuse case, described physical abuse at the hands of his uncaring mother and sexual abuse every Tuesday night as a boy at his Air Cadet meetings in Windsor.

Getting routinely sexually abused was better than “getting whacked around by mother,” he said.

Shock therapy in the mid-1970s, after he was released from jail for a similar offence, he said, erased memory of abusing the neighbourhood boys.
<snip>

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/12/22/16651966.html

Disgust

• View Profile
I think they need to ask his wife where her two sons are???  This case is sickening.  They probably got married to cover up.  Perhaps she has been abused big time!!!

Have faith

• View Profile
Hello Disgust.....sorry if that sounds offensive..it IS your user name :-)  I didn't know that Mrs. Hall had two sons or was married before.  Do you have any other information on her background that you could share with us?

Thanks,
Have faith

goNgo

• View Profile
More years in jail for Robert Hall.  The sentencing on his second trial was announced today.

‘He stole what . . . these boys could have been’
ROBERT HALL SEX TRIAL

Robert Hall’s twisted life was one of perversion and denial, baiting boys in his Old North London neighbourhood for his own sexual pleasure, then looking for someone else to blame for their pain.

Five of the boys from so long ago sat together at the back of a London courtroom Tuesday to hear their abuser, now 72 and diagnosed with prostate cancer, be dealt another six-year prison sentence for nine convictions — three counts of indecent assault, four of gross indecency and two of assault with the intent to commit gross indecency. The sentence was added to three years he was given last month for four other counts — two of indecent assault and two for gross indecency — for a total of nine years.

<snip>
The survivors — five good men who spent years carrying horrible secrets — said they found strength in each other and were grateful they were heard. What they didn’t hear was an apology from their abuser.

“There’s still no remorse whatsoever. Zero. Doesn’t exist,” one survivor said.

“This is a man who throughout the course of this, was quite arrogant about this. He knew what he had done; he thought he could get away with it,” another said.

<snip>

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/01/04/16753516.html

Have faith

• View Profile
Thanks goNgo for posting that.  Nine years of jail time in total. It isn't enough but it will most likely be a life sentence for him, like the pervert Father Sylvestre who died during his sentence.  He also refused an apology to his 47 victims.  Bravo to the survivors and may you find a sense of peace.

Have faith

Have faith

• View Profile
The Ontario Court of Appeal has upheld Hall's latest six year sentence, ensuring a nine year jail term in total. 

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/05/06/six-year-prison-term-seen-as-appropriate-although-pedophile-gets-credit-for-42-days-of-pre-trial-custody

Ontario’s highest court has upheld a lengthy nine-year prison term for a 76-year-old man convicted of sexually abusing neighbourhood boys in Old North London more than four decades ago.

In December 2010, Robert Hall, living in Aylmer at the time of his trials, was sentenced to three years on two counts of indecent assault and two counts of gross indecency involving one boy. In January 2011, he was dealt another six years on nine convictions for assaults on five other boys.

The six-year term was reviewed by the Ontario Court of Appeal, which agreed with Superior Court Justice Kelly Gorman’s decision.

“The offences on which the trial judge imposed sentence involved a number of innocent children,” the court said. “They were seriously scarred as a consequence of the appellant’s wrongful conduct. While the offences are historical, they involve a sexual predator abusing young victims.”

Gorman’s sentence took into account the three-year sentence Hall had been dealt before her decision. “Equally, she considered the appellant’s lack of insight into his crimes, but did not over-emphasize it,” the court said.

There was an adjustment ordered to the sentence, a reduction of 42 days to reflect Hall’s pre-trial custody that wasn’t included in the original sentencing calculation.

Hall, who lived on Waterloo St. in London for years, was convicted of abusing boys between 1962 and 1974.

He was initially seen as a friendly mechanic with cool cars and motorcycles, including a rare Amphicar, a vehicle that could be used both on land and water.

He would invite boys into his home to see his collection, but then would lure and terrorize them into participating in sexual acts, including touching Hall.

One of the boys was attacked in a park behind Hall’s home while flying model airplanes and was sexually assaulted. Another was a Free Press paper boy.

Two of the boys reported assaults while they were members of a pipe and drum band with Hall.

The boys, now adults, came forward after stories appeared in the newspaper. 

Hall has other criminal convictions for similar crimes. He said at his trial he had been successfully treated for pedophilia and that he had been sexually abused as a boy when he was an Air Cadet.

Janice61

• View Profile
I myself the death penalty would suffice. I feel no sympathy for these pedophile`s.