Author Topic: (SOLVED)Neighbours mourn Cape Breton senior's suspicious death Angus MacLean  (Read 10362 times)

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
Figured I'd post it anyways.. if it get solved in a few days It can be moved to solved..until then here it is. I wonder what happened. random attack or planned, or suicide?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/12/10/ns-angus-maclean-death-investigation.html
From CBC
People who knew an elderly Cape Breton man who died under suspicious circumstances are remembering him as a kind gentleman.

Angus MacLean, 82, was found dead in his country farmhouse in Colindale, N.S., on Wednesday by a neighbour. The neighbour called the RCMP, who responded to the call at 7:47 p.m on the western shore of Cape Breton.

The Mounties have launched an intensive investigation into MacLean's death. They are not saying how he died, but they are calling the death suspicious.

"He was a very nice man, I knew him quite well," said John M. Beaton. "He was very easy going, I thought a lot of him."

Colindale Road, where MacLean lived, is about five kilometres northeast of Port Hood and is dotted with farmhouses.

Margaret Beaton, who lives on the same road, said MacLean kept to himself.

"Angus was a kind gentleman, loved children, never missed a Halloween coming to our house and bringing our boys pumpkins when they were small," she told CBC News.

"Lived his own quiet life and didn't bother anyone."

Inverness RCMP Const. Brad Anderson said on Thursday that while there is likely to be an autopsy, it has not been scheduled yet.

"We have Inverness identification services are there, our police dog services are assisting, we have Northeast Nova Major Crime Unit is assisting, Inverness district RCMP and in addition to that, we have Inverness district street crime enforcement unit assisting," he said.

John M. Beaton said given the large police presence in the area, residents are fearing the worst.

"Doesn't make me feel very good, come a little too close to home. I hope, if it's murder, whoever the hell did it, they'll get him for it," Beaton told CBC News.

Neighbours said MacLean was a retired farmer who lived alone in his home. They said he never married and had no children.

"He would go to the dances in West Mabou on Saturday nights. He was a fantastic step dancer but very shy. He was the kindest man. He was always there to do anything for anyone. A very quiet, good man," said Rita MacInnis.

"He was all alone. It's so devastating if someone did that to him."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/12/10/ns-angus-maclean-death-investigation.html#ixzz17jKq6yAm
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:05:57 AM by whispersoftly »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Neighbours mourn Cape Breton senior's suspicious death Angus MacLean
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »

This is so sad. It sounds like Angus was a kind and gentle soul, well liked by those that knew him. I hope he did not meet a violent end.

RIP Angus.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »
Cape Breton seems to be "right up there" lately as far as drugs, murders and attacks go!  The place seems to have reach  a point of people with "no conscience" and people who don't notice anything.

The lastest was a 60 yr. old gentleman (name not yet realeased) who was out putting up xmas lights yesterday when his dog ran off.  He got in his vehicle to go get the dog.  Just up the road a bit, he got out of his vehicle to go get the dog, when a blue truck comes along (approx. 5:30 pm) struck and killed him, and kept going ..... there was also a small make vehicle behind this truck .... that car didn't stop either.  I hope the police resolve this pretty quick.  It has reached beyond the point where people don't seem to care what happens to others .... or don't notice.  ....they fly around on neighborhood roads ....especially in rural areas like Lingan.  Something is bound to happen with this reckless selfish attitude.  Police are way too scarce in rural areas... and it just can't be helped.  It time people started using their cell phones for something good.  They use them enough when they shouldn't... causing accidents and taking lives.  Let's see where this one goes!  RIP,  and God Bless this family who are left hurting so bad this season.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:47:24 PM by lostlinganer »

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 02:28:25 PM »
Now confirmed a homicide

From cbc
Nova Scotia RCMP say the death of an elderly Cape Breton man was a homicide.

A neighbour found 82-year old Angus MacLean dead Wednesday in his farmhouse in Colindale in western Cape Breton, police said.

An autopsy was completed in Halifax on Friday, but police won't say how the retired farmer died.

Const. Brad Anderson of Inverness County RCMP said police encourage the public to come forward with any information that might help the investigation. Police especially want to talk to anyone who had contact with MacLean on Dec. 7 or Dec. 8 and with anyone who saw unusual or suspicious activity in the area.

Anderson would not say whether police have any suspects.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/12/12/ns-rcmp-confirm-death-of-elderly-man-a-homicide.html#ixzz17vnigdSy

capernan

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 07:28:33 AM »
Rumor has it in the community that there has been an arrest. 

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 08:01:26 AM »
okay well as soon as I can find it on a news site that there has been an arrest... i'll ask someone to move it to solved.. because I dont know how to move it there myself.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:33:21 AM by whispersoftly »

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 09:31:56 AM »
C.B. man murdered, autopsy confirms
Motive for killing 82-year-old unclear
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1216838.htmlThe RCMP are asking anyone with information to call them at the Inverness detachment or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

capernan

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
I may have spoken too soon, perhaps it's just community talk.

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »
they could have someone arrested but they may not be saying anything just yet... who knows?

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 06:49:11 AM »
People in the Port Hood, Cape Breton say with the killer of Angus MacLean still at large, many senior citizens are living in fear.

The 82-year-old was murdered in his rural farmhouse on Dec. 8.

"Where everyone cared so much for Mr. MacLean, it's not going to leave our minds very quickly," said neighbour Margaret Beaton.

RCMP Sgt. Brigdit Leger said the North East Nova Division is following up on leads and tips that have come in, but RCMP are still hoping for new information.

"Anyone who was in the area on the night of this horrible event, we are requesting them to think back to anything that they may have noted, anyone in the area, anything suspicious in nature, any suspicious vehicles, persons, again, they may feel it is irrelevant or not applicable," said Leger. "Bring it before the police and let us decide if it's relevant to this investigation."

Margaret Beaton said until the killer is caught, many people in the area will be afraid.

"Absolutely, especially the elderly, people that live alone, they're still wondering and keeping their doors locked. They are a lot more cautious than they were previously," said Beaton.

MacLean's niece, Mary Chandler, said she knows the RCMP are doing their best, but she is afraid that with the passage of time, people will forget the details.

She is urging anyone with information, no matter how small, to bring it forward to police before the details are forgotten.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/01/14/ns-port-hood-residents-in-fear-of-seniors-killer.html#ixzz1B6k04llc

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 12:44:05 PM »
No family, got along well with everyone.  How terrible.  This smells of Juvenile druggies if you ask me. Out looking for any prescrip's they can find and money.

Peace
JB

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:05:35 AM »
Man charged in C.B. senior's murder

By MARY ELLEN MacINTYRE Cape Breton Bureau
Fri, Apr 8 - 11:50 AM

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9020499.htmlhttp://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/04/08/ns-maclean-murder-charge.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:13:52 AM by whispersoftly »

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
And of course it's someone with a history of violent crime..almost always ishttp://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1237510.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:09:20 AM by whispersoftly »

Burchell13

• View Profile
good to hear the caught the monster that did that to him. 

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
RCMP charged a Port Hood man with first-degree murder today in the Dec. 8, 2010 death of 82-year-old Angus MacLean of Colindale.

This sickens me. Seniors are among the most vulnerable people in our society. It sounds like Angus was a good man. To think he was murdered in his own home where he should been safe, is unthinkable.

Spears has a record of 19 criminal convictions dating back to 1993, including assault, two counts of uttering death threats and two counts of impaired driving.

Why was this guy still walking around at all?