Author Topic: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers  (Read 129526 times)


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 01:10:40 PM »
Karla Leanne Homolka, also known as Karla Leanne Teale (born 4 May 1970 in Port Credit, Ontario, Canada), is a Canadian convicted killer, torturer & sexual deviant. She attracted worldwide media attention when she was convicted of manslaughter following a plea bargain in the 1991 and 1992 rape-murders of two Ontario teenage girls, Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French, as well as the rape and death of her own sister Tammy.[2]

Paul Bernardo was arrested in 1993 and in 1995 was convicted of the two teenagers' murders. He received life in prison, the full maximum sentence allowed in Canada. Homolka, however, "portrayed herself as the innocent victim of a murderous monster. [In 1993], she struck a deal with prosecutors (later dubbed the "Deal with the Devil") and pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the deaths in exchange for a 12-year prison sentence. But videotapes of the crimes, found after the plea bargain, showed her to be a more active participant. Public outrage about Homolka's sentence had barely cooled by the time of her extremely high-profile release from prison in 2005".[3] She lived in the province of Quebec for a time and in 2007, was speculated to have left Canada for the Antilles, new partner and baby in hand.[4] In December 2009, La Presse claimed that Homolka was back in Ontario studying Law and living with her partner Luka Magnotta.[5][6]

Early life
Homolka is the eldest of three daughters (the others being Lori (b. 1971), and Tammy (1975–1990)). Her parents are Karel and Dorothy Homolka of St. Catharines, Ontario. Homolka attended Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School and began working part time in a pet shop at a nearby mall. In October, 1987, she attended a convention in Toronto where she met her husband-to-be, Paul Bernardo. After Karla received her high school diploma in 1989 she was hired as a veterinary assistant by Thorold Veterinary Clinic, from which she was terminated after being hired for a similar job at the Martindale Animal Clinic.

[edit] Homolka meets Bernardo
On 17 October 1987, Homolka, then 17, met 23-year-old Bernardo at a Scarborough restaurant. Bernardo proposed to Homolka on 24 December.

[edit] Victims
[edit] Tammy Homolka
During the summer of 1990, Bernardo became obsessed with Karla's sister. Bernardo had told Karla that if she really loved him she would let him deflower her sister. Homolka agreed, seeing "an opportunity to minimize risk, take control, and keep it all in the family".[7] In July, "according to Bernardo's testimony, he and Karla served her younger sister, Tammy, a spaghetti dinner spiked with valium stolen from Karla's workplace. Bernardo rapes Tammy for about a minute before she starts to wake up".[8]

Six months before their wedding in 1991, Homolka stole the anesthetic agent halothane from the Martindale Veterinarian Clinic where she worked. On 23 December 1990, "after a Homolka family Christmas party, Bernardo and Karla Homolka drug Tammy Homolka with the animal tranquilizers. Bernardo and Karla Homolka rape Tammy while she's unconscious. Tammy later chokes on her own vomit and dies. Bernardo tells police he tried to revive her, but failed, and her death is ruled an accident.[8] Before calling 911 they hid the evidence, redressed Tammy, who had a chemical burn on her face, and moved her into her basement bedroom. A few hours later Tammy was pronounced dead at St. Catharines General Hospital without having regained consciousness. Despite the pair's behaviour — vacuuming and washing laundry in the middle of the night,[citation needed] as well as the presence of a "huge, bright raspberry-coloured burn" that consumed most of Tammy's left cheek, Niagara Regional Police accepted the pair's version of events.[citation needed]

[edit] Leslie Mahaffy
On 15 June 1991, two weeks before his wedding, Bernardo — while stealing license plates to aid in a cigarette smuggling scheme he had devised — met Leslie Mahaffy, who was standing at the door of her Burlington home. Leslie had told her parents she would be home by 11 p.m., after attending the wake of her friend who had died in a car crash — she arrived home at 2 a.m. The two spoke for some time and went back to Bernardo's car for a cigarette, at which point he forced her into the car and drove her to his house, 53 kilometres away. There, Homolka and Bernardo held Leslie Mahaffey hostage for 24 hours, repeatedly sexually assaulting her. They recorded the assaults on videotape, including one scene in which Homolka pretties herself for the camera before raping the girl. Eventually, they killed her.

Homolka claimed later that Bernardo had strangled the heavily drugged Mahaffey with an electrical cord. Bernardo said that she died while he was out of the room, that Homolka had killed her with an overdose of Halcion. They put her body into the basement until they could decide how to get rid of it.

The following day Homolka's parents and Lori visited for Father's Day dinner. After they left, the pair cut up Leslie Mahaffey's body and disposed of it in cement blocks. Bernardo dismembered the body with a circular saw in a makeshift plastic tent in the basement. The body parts then were encased in cement and dumped in Lake Gibson.

On June 29, a couple canoeing on the lake at the edge of St. Catharines found the badly prepared cement blocks, one of which had split open to reveal its contents. At about the same time, Homolka and Bernardo were married in a lavish ceremony, riding together in a horse-drawn carriage at Niagara-on-the-Lake.

[edit] Kristen French
On 16 April 1992, Homolka and Bernardo drove into a St. Catharines church parking lot, having spotted Kristen French. Homolka stepped out of the car with a map, pretending to be lost, and asking for directions from French. Bernardo then forced her into the car at knife point. There were several witnesses, who did not realize what they were seeing. A piece of the map, one of French's shoes and some of her hair were later found at the crime scene.[citation needed]

Homolka and Bernardo took French to Port Dalhousie, where for three days they sexually assaulted, abused, and tortured her. Because the pair were to spend Easter dinner with her parents, Kristen French's murder had to take place before they left, each gave an account blaming the other. Homolka claimed that Bernardo strangled her for precisely seven minutes while she watched.[citation needed] Bernardo claimed that Homolka had beaten Kristen French with a mallet as she tried to escape, and she was strangled on a noose tied around her neck secured to a hope chest. Homolka immediately left to blow dry her hair. After returning from the Easter dinner, Bernardo and Homolka cut off her hair and washed the body before dumping it in a ditch in Burlington less than a kilometer from Leslie Mahaffy's burial place. Kristen French's body was found on 30 April 1992.[citation needed]

From the outset, Kristen French's disappearance was treated as a criminal matter. Unlike Leslie Mahaffy, she did not have disagreements at home and had a dog that required scheduled walks and feeding; when she did not arrive on time her parents immediately contacted police. The witnesses recalled what they thought was a Camaro – Bernardo's car was a gold Nissan 240SX. A full-scale search ensued, with anyone driving a Camaro under suspicion until cleared by investigators.[citation needed]


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
David Russell Williams[2] (born March 7, 1963), formerly referred to as Colonel Russell Williams, is a murderer, rapist, and former Colonel in the Canadian Forces. From July 2009 to his arrest in February 2010, he commanded Canadian Forces Base Trenton, a hub for air transport operations in Canada and abroad and the country's largest and busiest airbase. Williams was also a decorated military pilot who had flown Canadian Forces VIP aircraft for Canadian dignitaries such as Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, the governor general, the prime minister, and others.[3]

On February 8, 2010, he was relieved as the base commander at CFB Trenton due to criminal charges. He was formally charged by the Crown Attorney pursuant to provisions set forth in the Criminal Code of Canada on evidence collected by the Ontario Provincial Police with two counts of first-degree murder along with two counts of forcible confinement and two counts of breaking and entering and sexual assault;[4] another 82 charges relating to breaking and entry were subsequently added.[5] On October 21, 2010, Williams was sentenced to two life sentences for first-degree murder, two ten-year sentences for other sexual assaults, two ten-year sentences for forcible confinement and 82 one-year sentences for burglary; all the sentences will be served concurrently at Kingston Penitentiary. The life sentences mean Williams will serve a minimum of 25 years before parole eligibility. Since he has been convicted of multiple murders, Williams is not eligible for early parole under the so-called "faint hope clause" of the Canadian Criminal Code. [6]

On October 22, 2010, Williams was stripped of his commission, ranks, and awards by the Governor General of Canada on the recommendation of the Chief of the Defence Staff. His severance pay was terminated and the salary he received following his arrest was seized, although he is still entitled to a pension.[7][8][9]

Personal life
Williams was born in Bromsgrove, England in 1963 to Cedric David Williams and Christine Nonie Williams, before the family moved to Chalk River, Ontario where his father was hired as a metallurgist at Chalk River Laboratories, Canada's premier nuclear research laboratory.[1][10][11]

After relocating to Chalk River, the Williams family met another family, the Sovkas, and they became good friends. The families would spend a lot of time together. Russell Williams' parents divorced when he was six years old and soon after, Nonie Williams married Jerry Sovka. During this time Williams took on the name Sovka from his stepfather Dr. Jerry Sovka, and moved again to Scarborough, Ontario. While in the Scarborough Bluffs area, Williams began high school at Toronto's Birchmount Collegiate, but finished at Upper Canada College. He delivered The Globe and Mail newspaper and learned piano. By 1979 his family had moved to South Korea, where Dr. Sovka was overseeing another reactor project. Russell completed his final two years of high school as a boarding student at Toronto's Upper Canada College while his parents were in South Korea. In his final year in 1982, he was elected as one of two prefects for his boarding house, and reported to his house steward, Andrew Saxton, now the Conservative Member of Parliament for North Vancouver.[1][12][13]

On June 1, 1991 he married Mary Elizabeth Harriman, who is an associate director of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.[14][15] According to Canadian Defence Department Williams biography,[16] Williams is a keen photographer, fisherman and runner, and he and his wife Mary Elizabeth are also avid golfers.[17][18]

The couple moved to Orleans, a suburb of Ottawa in July 2006. By then Williams had been posted to the Directorate of Air Requirements at NDHQ. He served at the Airlift Capability Projects Strategic (CC177 Globemaster III) and Tactical (CC130J Hercules J), and Fixed-Wing Search and Rescue.[19]

[edit] Military service
Williams was regarded as a model military man over the course of his 23-year career.[10][20] He enrolled in the Canadian Forces in 1987 after graduating from the University of Toronto with an economics and political science degree. He received his flying wings in 1990, and was posted to 3 Canadian Forces Flying Training School, based at CFB Portage La Prairie, Manitoba, where he served for two years as an instructor.

Promoted to captain on January 1, 1991[21], Williams was posted to 434 Combat Support Squadron at CFB Shearwater, N.S. in 1992, where he flew the CC-144 Challenger in the electronic warfare and coastal patrol role.In 1994, he was posted to the 412 Transport Squadron in Ottawa, where he transported VIPs, including high-ranking government officials and foreign dignitaries, also on Challengers.

Williams was promoted to major in November 1999 and was posted to Director General Military Careers, in Ottawa, where he served as the multi-engine pilot career manager.[21]

He obtained a Master of Defence Studies from the Royal Military College of Canada in 2004 with a 55-page thesis that supported pre-emptive war in Iraq, and in June 2004, he was promoted to lieutenant-colonel and on July 19, 2004 he was appointed commanding officer of 437 Transport Squadron at CFB Trenton, Ont., a post he held for two years.[21][10][20][22][23][24]

From December 2005 to May 2006, Williams also served as the commanding officer of Camp Mirage, a secretive logistics facility believed to be located at Al Minhad Air Base in Dubai, United Arab Emirates that provides support to Canadian Forces operations in Afghanistan.[21][10][20][25]

He was posted to the Directorate of Air Requirements on July 21, 2006 where he served as project director for the Airlift Capability Projects Strategic (C-17 Globemaster III) and Tactical (CC-130J Hercules J), and Fixed-Wing Search and Rescue, working under Lieutenant General Angus Watt at this posting.[26][21]

In January 2009 he was posted to the Canadian Forces Language School in Gatineau, Quebec, for a six-month period of French language training, during which he was promoted to colonel by recommendation of now retired Lieutenant-General Angus Watt.[27]

On July 15, 2009, Colonel Williams was sworn in as the Wing Commander at Canadian Forces Base Trenton by the outgoing Wing Commander Brigadier General Mike Hood.[28] Canadian Forces Base Trenton is Canada's busiest air base and locus of support for overseas military operations. Located in Trenton, Ontario, the base also functions as the point of arrival for the bodies of all Canadian Forces personnel killed in Afghanistan, and the starting point for funeral processions along the "Highway of Heroes" whence their bodies are brought to Toronto for autopsy.[21][20][29][30][31][32]

Williams has been described as an elite pilot and "shining bright star" of the military. He had flown Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh, the Governor General of Canada, the Prime Minister of Canada, and many other dignitaries across Canada and overseas in Canadian Forces VIP aircraft.[10][20][23]

[edit] Investigation and arrest
Jessica Lloyd was a 27-year-old woman who had vanished January 28, 2010. Investigators identified matched distinctive tire tracks left in snow near Jessica Lloyd's home. One week after her disappearance, the Ontario Provincial Police conducted an extensive canvassing of all motorists using the highway near her home from 7 pm on Thursday, February 4, 2010, to 6 am on Friday, looking for the unusual tire treads. Williams was driving his Pathfinder that day—and not the BMW he usually drove—and an officer noticed the resemblance of his tire treads. These were subsequently matched to the treads near Lloyd's home.[13][20]

On Sunday, February 7, 2010, the CFB Trenton base commander was at his newly built home in Ottawa, where his wife lived full time and he lived part time, when he was called by the OPP in Ottawa and asked to come in for questioning. During the 10 hour interview he confessed to the numerous crimes of which he was later convicted. Early the next morning Williams led investigators to the woman's body in a secluded area on Cary Road, about 13 minutes away from where he lived. The 46-year-old colonel was also charged in the death of Corporal Marie-France Comeau, a 37-year-old military flight attendant based at CFB Trenton who had been found dead inside her home in late November 2009.[12][20][33][34]

Along with the murder charges, Williams was charged with breaking and entering, forcible confinement, and the sexual assault of two other women in connection with two separate home invasions near Tweed, Ontario in September 2009. According to reports, the women had been bound in their homes and the attacker had taken photos of them.[20][33][35]

Williams was arraigned and remanded into custody on Monday, February 8, 2010. The Canadian Forces announced that day that an interim commander would soon be appointed to replace him (Dave Cochrane took over 11 days later), and removed his biography from the Department of National Defence website the following day.[22][25]

Hours after the announcement of Williams' arrest, police services across the country reopened unsolved homicide cases involving young women in areas where Williams, a career military man, had previously been stationed. According to news reports, police began looking at other unsolved cases based on a full statement that Williams gave to police.[22][33][34]

A week after his arrest, investigators reported that, along with hidden keepsakes and other evidence they had found in his home, they had matched a print from one of the homicide scenes to his boot.[36]

In addition to the four primary incidents, the investigation into Williams includes probes into 48 cases of theft of women's underwear dating back to 2006. In the searches of his Ottawa home, police discovered stolen lingerie that was neatly stored, catalogued, and concealed.[37]

In April 2010, Williams was placed on suicide watch after he tried to kill himself by wedging a stuffed cardboard toilet paper roll down his throat.[38]

[edit] Confession
On February 7, 2010, Colonel Russel Williams was interrogated at Ottawa Police Service headquarters by Detective Sergeant Jim Smyth, a member of the Ontario Provincial Police's Behavioural Sciences Unit. The interview started at 3 p.m. and by 7:45 p.m. he was describing his crimes. The interrogation lasted approximately ten hours. Excerpts of the confession were shown in court at Williams' sentencing hearing on October 20, 2010.

In the confession, Williams gave details of his crimes, including the sex assaults in Tweed and 82 fetish break-ins and thefts . Some of them occurred in Ottawa homes within walking distance of Orleans, Ontario home where he lived with his wife. Other break-ins and thefts occurred in Belleville, and in Tweed, where the couple had a cottage since 2004. He also told police where they could find evidence, including hidden keepsakes, inside the Ottawa home. The couple had moved to a new house two months before he was interrogated by police.[39][40][41][42] He told Detective Sergeant Jim Smyth where police could find the thousands of images he took, of Lloyd and Comeau and the two women he sexually assaulted. He then identified on a map where he dumped Jessica Lloyd’s body. A video of the interrogation was made available to the public and was posted online by several newspapers and on Youtube.

[edit] Court proceedings and trial
Williams appeared before the Ontario Court of Justice in Belleville, Ontario via video link from the Quinte Detention Centre on July 22, 2010, where his next court appearance was set for August 26.[43] Again via video link, Williams waived his right to a preliminary inquiry and thus had his next appearance scheduled at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice for October 7, 2010.[44] Williams' lawyer stated then that his client would plead guilty to all 82 Criminal Code charges filed against him.[45]

On October 18, 2010 Williams pleaded guilty to all charges.[46] On the first day of Williams' trial and guilty plea, details emerged of other sex assaults he committed, including the sex assault of a new mother who was wakened with a blow to the head while she and her baby were asleep in her house.[47] The first day of trial revealed that Williams also had pedophile tendencies, stealing underwear of girls as young as 9 years old. He made 82 fetish home invasions and attempted break-ins between September 2007 and November 2009.[48]

Russell Williams progressed from fetish break-ins to sex assaults with no penetration to rape and murder. He kept detailed track of police reports of the crimes he was committing, logged his crimes, kept photos and videos and even left notes and messages for his victims.[49] In a break-in into the bedroom of a 12-year-old, he left a message in her computer saying: "Merci" ("Thank you" in French). He took thousands of pictures of his crimes and kept the photos on his computer. Crown Attorney Robert Morrison presented numerous pictures of Williams dressed in underwear and bras he stole, frequently masturbating while lying on the beds of his victims.[48]

Some of the photos presented on the first day of his trial were published in several newspapers. As some newspapers explained, although troubling, the photos were published because they capture the essence of the crimes of Williams and show the true nature of his crimes. Among the news media that published some of the released photographs were The Montreal Gazette, The Toronto Star.[50][51]

Ontario Superior Court Justice Robert F. Scott sentenced Williams on October 22, 2010 to two concurrent terms of life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.[52]

In what is believed to be a first, Williams' uniform was destroyed through burning by the Canadian Forces, as his name had been stitched into the fabric. [53]


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
Gordon Stewart NORTHCOTT
Canadian born in 1908, Northcott would later claim that his father sodomized him at age ten. The old man finished his life in a lunatic asylum, and one of Northcott's paternal uncles died years later, in San Quentin, while serving a life term for murder. A homosexual sadist in the mold of Dean Corll and John Gacy, by age 21, Northcott was living on a poultry ranch near Riverside, California, sharing quarters with his mother and a 15-year-old nephew, Sanford Clark. For years, Northcott mixed business with pleasure in Riverside, abducting boys and hiding them out on his ranch, renting his victims to wealthy Southern California pedophiles. When he tired of the boys, they were shot or brained with an ax, their flesh dissolved with quick lime and their bones transported to the desert for disposal. Only one was ever found - a headless, teenage Mexican, discovered near La Puente during February 1928 - but homicide detectives identified three other victims. Walter Collins disappeared from home on March 10, 1928, and Northcott's mother was convicted of his death, but evidence suggests that she was acting under orders from her son. Twelve-year-old Lewis Winslow and his brother Nelson, 10, vanished from Pomona on May 16, 1928, and Northcott was later condemned for their murders, despite the absence of bodies. Gordon might have gone on raping and killing indefinitely, but in the summer of 1928, he visited the district attorney's office, complaining about a neighbor's "profane and violent" behavior. The outbursts reportedly upset his nephew, who was "training for the priesthood" by tending chickens at age 15. Under investigation, the neighbor recalled seeing Gordon beat Clark on occasion, and he urged detectives to "find out what goes on" at Northcott's ranch. Immigration officials struck first, taking Clark into custody on a complaint from his Canadian parents, and the boy regaled authorities with tales of murder, pointing out newly-excavated "grave sites" on the ranch. Detectives dug up blood-soaked earth, unearthing human ankle bones and fingers on September 17. They also found a bloodstained ax and hatchet on the premises, that Clark said had been used on human prey, as well as chickens. Northcott fled to Canada, but he was captured there and extradited back to Riverside. His mother claimed responsibility for slaying Walter Collins, but Clark fingered Gordon as the actual killer. Convicted on three counts of murder, including the Winslow brothers and the anonymous Mexican, Northcott was sentenced to death. Spared by her sex, his mother received a life sentence in the Collins case. Marking time at San Quentin, Northcott alternated between protestations of innocence and detailed confessions to the murder of "18 or 19, maybe 20" victims. A pathological liar who cherished the spotlight, he several times offered to point out remains of more victims, always reneging at the last moment. (Northcott also named several of his wealthy "customers" at the ranch, but their identities were never published.) Warden Duffy recalled his conversations with Northcott as "a lurid account of mass murder, sodomy, oral copulation, and torture so vivid it made my flesh creep." Northcott mounted the gallows on October 2, 1930, finally quailing in the face of death. Before the trap was sprung, he screamed, "A prayer! Please, say a prayer for me!" His mother subsequently died in prison, of old age.


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 12:14:31 PM »
Shannon Murrin (suspected serial killer)
A child killer is a rare bird in Canada and once one is identified he needs to have his past whereabouts and activities scrutinized. In light of the Police obstruction and evidence destruction, discovered in the Mindy Tran case, all other cases in which Murrin was a suspect, need to be watched closely. These are some of the other crimes that Shannon Murrin has been implicated in or suspected of:

1976- Newfoundland Animal mutilation. Sources in Newfoundland claim that Murrin had been convicted for horribly mutilating a cow in a church yard and then leaving her there to slowly bleed to death. A Newfoundland prison warder reported that Shannon Murrin had completed a taxidermy course while in prison and then roamed the streets looking for road kill to experiment with upon his release. According to behavioral profilers, these activities are how many serial killers began.
see- list of killers who began by mutilating animals

1980- Kelowna rapist: A serial rapist was on the loose, another step towards murder. Murrin was secretly operating as an informant for the RCMP in Kelowna at the time. Sources claim that the Newfoundland police have privately confirmed that Murrin was in B.C. at this time. Very little evidence was left behind to prove Murrin's presence, except a sketch of the suspect circulated at the time. The sketch of the rapist closely matches Murrin's appearance at the time.
see- story and sketch
see- photo comparison

March 1981 disappearance of "Elizabeth" of Campbell River: There were several  witnesses at the time who knew Shannon Murrin and saw him leave with Elizabeth. She has never been seen since. Murrin disappeared from Kelowna shortly afterwards. Police forced witnesses to shutup!
see past events

December 1981- murder of Dana Bradley in Newfoundland following Murrin's sudden departure from Kelowna in the fall of 1981. Murrin left Kelowna claiming to have gone home to Newfoundland for Christmas in late fall of 1980.  Murrin claimed he was moving to his sisters in Edmonton In the fall of 1981 following the disappearance of Elizabeth. Did he also go home for Christmas that year? The description of Dana's killer matches Murrin. A member of the Newfoundland Constabulary purportedly admitted that Murrin is the prime suspect.
See story
CTV story 
Description of Dana's killer 
Description of a person of interest in the Mindy Tran murder.   
Compare the sketch of the 1980 Kelowna rapist with the sketch of Dana's killer

Updates- 25years later

There are several other girls who also went missing from the St. John's area, all disappearing around Christmas time.  Was a serial killer returning home for Christmas year after year?
1978- Dec.29 - Sharon Drover
1981- Dec.18 -  Dana Bradley
1982- Dec.10 - Henrietta Mille
1984- Nov.12 - Pamela Asprey

Kelowna mid eighties- bank robbery and a reported three others. Former associates claim that Murrin was involved in a series of bank robberies. He was supposedly caught and arrested for this one.

Halifax 1989-
Murrin has recently been named by a tipster in another case involving a murdered girl.
see- Kimberly McAndrew

Murrin resurfaces again in reports from Edmonton where he was staying in a half way house. These crimes followed.

1992- kidnapping and murder of Corrine "Punky" Gustavson: 
For years Shannon Murrin was investigated as a suspect in this murder. One of the few details released about the suspect in "Punky's" murder was that he wore a size six men's shoe. Murrin is known to have very small feet and he was in Edmonton at the time. (out on day parole)
see- original news report of the size six shoe
Mathew Sleigh, was arrested and convicted of the crime a decade later. More questions arose about the handling of this case as the details leaked out. Sleigh confessed to everything right up to the point where he would have to fit the size six shoe in order for his confession to match the evidence. There his story deviates and reports later surfaced claiming the shoe evidence did not match. Was another suspect involved?
see- tracking the size six
see- the strange DNA results-  Updates:

Edmonton 1992: sexual assaults: Murrin is the prime suspect in several other Edmonton sexual assaults. The Kelowna RCMP have taken possession of the DNA evidence from the Alberta cases even though they are known to have tampered with and destroyed the DNA evidence from Mindy Tran's case. No charges were ever laid in the Edmonton assaults and no explanation was provided for what happened to the DNA evidence.
see- Kelowna obtains DNA from Edmonton case

Edmonton 1992. Another child abduction and the attempted murder of a 3/1/2 year old girl. 
see- story
Abduction and Attempted Murder of Mandy Tremblay
On the evening of 1992 May 26, Mandy Tremblay (3 1/2 years) was abducted from the area of her home at Village Acres (129 Avenue and 67 Street, Edmonton). Mandy was found the next day at 1400 hours in a farmer's field near 188 Avenue and 17 Street, Edmonton. Physical evidence suggests that she was strangled and left for dead.To date, approximately 300 tips have been received, none of which have led to the arrest of the person(s) responsible.A reward of $40,000 is available for information leading to the apprehension and conviction of the person(s) responsible for this crime.

1993- Murrin briefly returns to Newfoundland where these murders occur.

There is a 50,000.00 reward offered for information in the disappearance of Worthman Lockyer.
see- reward
Two bodies have recently been discovered  in a wooded area directly behind Murrin's family home.
see- case updates
The Newfoundland RCMP list Murrin as the prime suspect in several other murders and assaults on children.
See Tidsbury's notes.

Murrin resurfaces back in the Okanagan Valley B.C. again where these crimes followed.

1993 murder of Jennifer Cusworth. Murrin moved back to Kelowna just before Jennifer was murdered. Sources claim that Jennifer had been associating with a woman who was involved in drugs and was said to be a known associate of Murrin's. Jenn was seen at this woman's residence. This woman was found dead just shortly before Jenn herself was found murdered. Sources claim that Murrin was staying at a residence located only one block away from where Jennifer was last seen alive. The map shows how close Murrin was supposedly staying to where Jennifer was last seen. The rooming house at 911 Borden had a small upper room with a private entrance. Over one hundred and eighty people who had attended the same party as Jennifer submitted their DNA for testing in this case. Has Murrin's DNA been compared?
see- story
see- RCMP cold case file
see- map and photo of the residence where Murrin was staying.
see- updates RCMP investigate new leads

Finally an arrest!
see- Cusworth updates

1994 break and enter and theft of numerous weapons from a Rutland gun shop. It was disclosed that Murrin had robbed a Rutland gun shop several weeks prior to the abduction of Mindy Tran. The person who disclosed this information was fencing these weapons for Murrin but disappeared from Kelowna shortly after Mindy's abduction. During an interview Murrin admitted to be selling weapons at the time of Mindy's abduction.
see- story

1994 kidnapping and murder of Mindy Tran:
This investigation became part of a huge serial killer investigation involving police agencies from all over western Canada. There were more than enough witnesses and the evidence was available for the RCMP to solve this murder. After finding the perpetrator, the RCMP obstructed the investigation to the point where the suspect had to be acquitted due to the actions of the RCMP. The RCMP have not yet even obtained or secured the evidence that is still available. The serial killer investigation appears to have been terminated!
see the  serial killer investigation
However, tracing the crime locations reveals a possible itinerary beginning in Victoria for
the first abduction, sweeping northeast to Edmonton for two murders, moving back to B.C. for an abduction in Kamloops followed by four murders in the Okanagan.
Along with Mindy Tran, the grisly list of victims includes:

* Michael Dunahee, 4, abducted from a Victoria playground on March
24, 1991, while his parents were playing touch football. He has never
been found.
* Corrine (Punky) Gustavson, 6, abducted outside her Edmonton home
on September 6, 1992. Her body was located two days later in a truck
yard in southeast Edmonton. She had been sexually assaulted.
* Mandy Tremblay, 3, abducted in May of 1992 outside her Edmonton
home. Her body was found 19 hours later in a farmer's field. She had
been strangled.
* Sherri McLaughlin, 21, disappeared in the early hours of
September 19, 1993, while riding her bicycle in Kamloops. Her body has
never been found.
* Jennifer Cusworth, 19, found dead on October 17, 1993, in a
ditch beside a Kelowna home.
* Jamie Dawn Vanwieren, 17, disappeared last July 22 in Vernon.
Her semi-nude body was found the next day in Vernon Creek. Police
believe her drowning was a murder.
* Tina Louise Parr, 25, whose partially nude body was found
September 26 in Kelowna. She had been strangled.

Given the number of victims attributed to Murrin, with several disappearing right after last being seen with him, or their bodies found virtually in his back yard, the odds of this being entirely co-incidental are slim. Murrin claimed that he was writing a tell all book. This would have confirmed his where-a bouts at the times of the crimes that he has been implicated in. Apparently this book was just a ruse so that the public would believe that they were eventually going to hear the real story from an honest and innocent person. No such luck. Almost a decade later and counting, why the silence, where is the book? This is serving as a delaying tactic while public outrage subsides. Murrin was on parole for most of the time while he operated as an informant for the RCMP. He would be required to check in, there would be records and there fore his activities and where a bouts are verifiable within the RCMP.  Why has this not warranted a geographic profiling investigation? The RCMP have a new geographic computer profiling system and the evidence easily demonstrates a similar pattern of travel.  What happened to the RCMP's Behavioral Profilers. Maybe someone should file a missing person report. Murrin's crimes continue.


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 12:53:59 PM »
Thomas Svekla (possible serial killer), a 40-year-old auto mechanic, went on trial Feb. 18, 2007, charged with second-degree murder in the deaths of Theresa Innes, 36, and Rachel Quinney, 19.

In June 2008, an Edmonton judge found Svekla guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Innes. Her remains were found in May 2006, stuffed in a hockey bag discovered in a home in Fort Saskatchewan, just northeast of Edmonton. Svekla was also convicted of offering an indignity to a human body in the Innes case.

According to court documents released after Svekla's preliminary hearing, he told RCMP he did not kill the young woman, but was transporting her body from High Level, in northern Alberta, to Edmonton to give her a decent burial.

Judge Sterling Sanderman found Svekla not guilty on charges of second-degree murder in Quinney's death. He was also acquitted on an indignity to a human body charge in connection with her death.

Quinney's body was found in a wooded area east of Sherwood Park, an Edmonton suburb, in June 2004. Svekla told investigators he stumbled upon the gruesome discovery and then reported it to police.

Svekla was charged with the Quinney killing eight months after he was first arrested in the Innes case.

Project Kare, a joint task force between the RCMP and Edmonton police formed in 2003, is investigating the cases of more than 20 Edmonton women who have been killed or are missing since 1983.

All were either prostitutes, or involved with drugs and living what police call "high-risk lifestyles." The charges against Svekla are the only ones the team has laid.

Records of police interrogations released by the court show Svekla was told he was a suspect in a handful of other cases, but he has not been charged with any of the other deaths or disappearances.

"We have maintained right from the beginning that we have reason to believe that more than one person is responsible for more than one death," RCMP Cpl. Wayne Oakes told a news conference in January 2007.

The situation has stoked the growing fear in the city's estimated yearly population of more than 400 sex-trade workers.

The RCMP's Behavioural Science Branch released a criminal profile of the killer of one or more of the women. The profile suggests he:

•Drives a reliable, high-mileage truck, van or sport utility vehicle, and is comfortable driving in rural areas.
•Likes to hunt, fish, camp or participate in other outdoor activities.
•Has a past or present connection to the area south of Edmonton, including Leduc, Camrose and New Sarepta.
•May clean his vehicle at odd times of the day.
Here is a list of women who have been found under similar circumstances since 1983:

May 19, 2006

RCMP in Alberta identify the body of Bonnie Lynn Jack, also known as Bonnie Lynn Loyie. She was found in a rural area east of Edmonton near Sherwood Park. Police said she lived a "high-risk lifestyle, including activities in the sex trade."

 Theresa Innes's body was found stuffed in a hockey bag in a Fort Saskatchewan home in May 2006. (RCMP) Oct. 20, 2005
Edmonton police announce they suspect Delores Brower, who had been reported missing five months earlier, may have been a victim of foul play. She was last seen along 118th Avenue, an area known for sex-trade activity, on May 13, 2005.

May 6, 2005
The body of sex-trade worker Ellie May Meyer, 33, is found near Sherwood Park.

April 22, 2005
Police put out a missing person alert for Maggie Burke, a 21-year-old believed to have worked in the sex-trade industry. She was last seen on Dec. 9, 2004 and police suspect foul play in her disappearance.
April 18, 2005
RCMP in Alberta identify the body of Charlene Gauld, 20, whose burned remains were found near Camrose.

Jan. 25, 2005
The body of 19-year-old Samantha Tayleen Berg is discovered under snow in a parking lot on Edmonton's North Side. The teenager worked in the sex trade.

 Police found Rachel Quinney's body in a wooded area east of Edmonton in June 2004. (RCMP) Jan. 20, 2005
Police add Corrie Ottenbreit, 27, to their list of missing and murdered women, more than eight months after she was last seen on May 9, 2004. Ottenbreit was believed to have worked in the sex-trade industry in the 118th Avenue area.

July 7, 2003
The body of 40-year-old Katie Sylvia Ballentyne, who worked in the sex trade, is found in Leduc County, about 20 km south of Edmonton. She is the fourth female found outside Edmonton in 2003, the fifth in 10 months. Her body was located in a field near Range Road 235, just north of Township Road 500.

April 12, 2003
The skull and remains of 29-year-old Debbie Lake, a former prostitute, are found near Highway 623 near Miquelon Lake Provincial Park, approximately 70 km southeast of Edmonton.

Jan. 12, 2003
20-year-old Melissa Munch is found dead in a stand of trees on a farmer's field west of Range Road 220 and south of Highway 16 in Strathcona County. The discovery is made four days after the body of Monique Pitre was found less than 10 kilometres away.

Jan. 8, 2003
The frozen body of Monique Pitre, 30, is found in a field south of Fort Saskatchewan (Range Road 222 and Township Rd). There is trauma to her entire body.

Sept. 23, 2002
The burned body of 28-year-old Edna Bernard is found in a field east of Leduc, near Range Road 245, north of Highway 623.

Jan. 27, 2001
24-year-old Kelly Dawn Reilly is found dead behind a gravel operation in the area of Range Road 264 and secondary highway 633, near Villeneuve.

Sept. 1, 1997
22-year-old Cara King is found in a canola field in Sherwood Park (Highway 214 and Hwy. 16), east of Edmonton.

June 14, 1997
The body of 24-year-old Jessica Cardinal is found in an alley behind a commercial building at 9325-111th Avenue. Her body is discovered behind a discarded shelving unit. Edmonton police have no suspect in her death.

Oct. 19, 1997
The body of Joyce Hewitt is found in Sherwood Park, near 17th Street and 89th Avenue. RCMP spokesperson Roxanne Beaubien says Hewitt had a "high-risk lifestyle." The circumstances of her death were not available.

Dec. 25, 1996
24-year-old Joanne Ghostkeeper is found strangled in her Edmonton apartment at 11925-34th Street East. Police have no suspect in her death.

Feb. 11, 1993
The partially decomposed body of 25-year-old Elaine Ross is found stuffed under a bed in a motel room on 183rd Street near Stony Plain Road, Edmonton. Autopsy results were inconclusive and a cause of death is unknown, but police are treating it as a homicide.

Dec. 21, 1990
Lorraine Wray, a 46-year-old masseuse and mother of one, is found strangled in the bathroom of her Edmonton business, West End Studio, at 15526 Stony Plain Road. According to Edmonton police spokesperson Dean Parthenis, several autopsies were performed, leading investigators to determine "manual strangulation" as the cause of death.

Oct. 25, 1990
29-year-old Mavis Mason is found stabbed to death on a rural road west of Edmonton.

Oct. 25, 1989
Bernadette Ahenakew, a 22-year-old mother of three, is found dead in a ditch alongside a rural road near Sherwood Park.

Sept. 13, 1988
The body of 20-year-old Georgette Flint is found in Elk Island National Park. An exact cause of death is not determined.

Sept. 21, 1986
The body of 21-year-old Melodie Joy Riegel is found on a hotel-room bed. She was last seen entering the hotel with a client.

The skeletal remains of 21-year-old Gail Cardinal are found 10 kilometres south of Fort Saskatchewan. RCMP spokesperson Roxanne Beaubien says Cardinal had a "high-risk lifestyle." No cause was determined in her death.


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 01:55:13 PM »
Davey Mato BUTORAC
On March 1, 2010 Thirty-one-year-old Davey Mato BUTORAC of Aldergrove was charged with one count of second degree murder in relation to Margaret REDFORD’S murder.

BUTORAC is currently in custody in relation to two other charges of second degree murder in which he was arrested just over two years ago, on January 7, 2008. At that time BUTORAC was charged in connection to the murder of 50-year-old Sheryl Lynn KOROLL of Langley and 46-year-old Gwendolyn Jo Lawton of Abbotsford. Both victims were strangled and beaten.

The Crown linked Butorac to the women through DNA evidence, including blood on his shoes.

Prosecutors said it had a one in 200 billion chance of coming from anyone but Koroll.


On Saturday May 20, 2006 at approximately 07:55 AM the murdered body of Margaret REDFORD was discovered face down in Bertrand Creek by a local area resident walking on the public trail adjacent to the creek.. This point of Bertrand Creek runs through the 27300 block of Fraser Hwy in Aldergrove.

On March 13, 2007 City of Abbotsford employees discovered the deceased body of 46-year-old Gwendolyn Jo Lawton of Abbotsford off the side of a gravel road in the Pemberton Hill area of North West Abbotsford. Investigators have continued to work this investigation since the discovery.

On July 7, 2007 employees of a business in an industrial area off Mufford Crescent in the City of Langley discovered the deceased body of 50-year-old Sheryl Lynn KOROLL of Langley. Investigators have continued to work this investigation since the discovery.

Possible victim.
Michelle Choiniere was involved in prostitution and drug use, a profile similar to that of three women who have been linked to accused serial killer Davey Mato Butorac. However, it is not clear whether the RCMP is investigating him in connection with Choiniere.

After Butorac was charged with two murders last week, RCMP Cpl. Dale Carr said the Integrated Homicide Investigations Team was "looking at him linked to other homicides."

Carr said Tuesday he didn't recall Choiniere being among the files IHIT was reviewing for the Butorac probe, but added it would be standard for investigators to check for any similarities. "That name hasn't surfaced to my knowledge as an interest in the Butorac case," Carr said.

"However, we'll certainly look at it as a possibility to see if there were links because we are open to any and all possibilities," Carr said.

Choiniere's aunt told The Sun Tuesday that bones found in an undisclosed location in the Fraser Valley on Dec. 7 have been confirmed as belonging to the missing woman. Although the RCMP announced Choiniere was missing in the fall of 2005, no news release was issued to indicate her remains had been found.
Butorac’s residence at 27456 32nd Avenue Aldergrove BC
Drove a white 1990 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 coupe


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 02:30:45 PM »
Marcello Palma
Long before Marcello Palma shot to death three prostitutes in a two-hour killing spree, he had put a gun to his wife's head and repeatedly threatened to shoot himself.

But Rosa Palma never told her family or the police about her husband's bizarre behaviour because he said he'd kill himself if she called police, she told a hearing yesterday to determine Palma's mental competence.

Palma admits he killed the three but was not criminally responsible when he did it, his lawyer, Edward Geenspan, has said.

The 33-year-old father of one daughter was under a psychiatrist's care at the time of the killings but still had six restricted-weapons certificates and owned six firearms, including the .357 Magnum revolver he used to kill Brenda Ludgate, 25, transvestite prostitute Shawn Keegan, 19, and transsexual prostitute Thomas (Deanna) Wilkinson, 31, on May 20, 1996 — the Victoria Day holiday.

As his wife of almost 10 years answered questions from Greenspan and Attorney Chris McGoey yesterday, Palma sat in the prisoner's dock, repeatedly making hand signals at her.

He turned several times toward his parents, Adamo and Teresa Palma and older brother Francesco and mouthed words. Muttered expletives came from the direction of the trio several times during Rosa Palma's testimony.

Earlier, as he was brought into the courtroom in handcuffs, Palma struck out his tongue in the direction of the public benches where several members of the victims' families were seated.

In response to questions from Greenspan, Rosa Palma, 40, said Palma was her second husband. They married in 1990, after her first marriage to an alcoholic, abusive spouse was annulled.

In August, 1995, Palma started talking about wanting to die, and things got progressively worse, she said.

Early in 1996, he came home one evening and as was his custom, she gave him about a half hour to himself before going downstairs to talk to him.

I found him in a walk-in-closet, with a gun pointed to his head… I asked him what he was doing. He said he wanted to die.

"I told him he couldn't do that, because he had a responsibility to me and his daughter."

When she told Palma she would call the police," he said he would kill himself by the time they got there."

In answer to the crown's questions, Rosa Palma said her husband had put a gun to her head in February, 1996.

Palma had been acting strangely, and she called her brother-in-law to pick up their daughter. Palma started to get dressed to go out, and when she asked him to stay home so she could talk to him, he called her a slut, she said.

They argued, and he took out a gun.

"I told him I was going to call police. He held the gun to my head and took it away quickly."

Gun held to wife's head, trial told
Her brother-in-law walked in and saw Palma with the gun. They fought when Palma would not give up the weapon.

After an argument on Easter Sunday, 1996, Rosa Palma found a napkin he had been writing on. On it was a poem. Titled "A Poem to You," it began: I haven't cherished our love, as I should have My heart is filled with confusion, love, hate and so many other feelings of which I don't have words for In another verse, Palma writes: Your words of sweetness have turned to bitter stabbing arrows. Of which my shield has worn thin. Now I must protect myself With closed hands, and wicked eyes.

Rosa Palma said she took the poem and kept it to show her husband's psychiatrist.

Palma at one point told her that he had been a victim of sexual abuse at age 10. The abuser was a man, but he would not say who. "He was in a great deal of pain and started to cry," she said.

In answer to questions from McGoey, Rosa Palma said she had started divorce proceedings against her husband in April, 1996, after she found out he had a girlfriend.

Greenspan said he would be calling Claudia Taylor, whom the wife testified was Palma's girlfriend.

However, the proceedings were put on hold after he became a suspect in the killings.

According to the statement of fact, during several sessions with a psychiatrist, Palma said he wanted to kill people, particularly street people or "scum."

He also talked of marital problems during the sessions, which began in September, 1991, and admitted to having sex with prostitutes, transvestites and homosexuals, the statement says.

That May 20 afternoon, Palma became irate after receiving a call from his girlfriend. He rampaged around his air-conditioning business, punching and kicking things.

He eventually used a hammer to attack vehicles and equipment belonging to others with whom he shared the office.

Friends who witnessed the outburst persuaded him to come with them to a golf driving range, where he became calmer after hitting balls for five or 10 minutes.

Then he threw the club down and said, "To hell with you, I hate this game," and drove off, the statement says.

He visited his parents between 8 and 8:30 p. m., then left. According to the statement of fact, in the middle of a thunderstorm, as the rest of the city set off celebratory Victoria Day firecrackers. Palma loaded his Sturm Ruger .357 with five illegal hollow-point bullets, took the revolver and a knife and drove off in his red truck.

At about 11 p. m., he picked up Ludgate in the King St. W. area and drove to the back of a lighting supply company, where she was to perform oral sex.

Once there, Palma changed his mind and told her to get out of the truck. When she wouldn't leave, he hit her, then pulled her from the truck.

A resident of a nearby apartment building heard a scared voice shouting what sounded like "No!" before Ludgate was shot in the back of the head.

Two days later, Palma confessed to a friend as they chatted in a coffee shop.

"She wouldn't get out of the car, and I popped her," he said, adding, "(Later) I did the other two."

About 40 minutes after killing Ludgate, Palma picked up Keegan as he plied his trade, dressed as a woman, at Homewood Ave. and Carton St.

A witness in a nearby apartment building saw Palma and Keegan struggling at the top of a stairwell to the parking garage.

Palma pushed Keegan down the stairs, then shot him in the head, the statement says. But he was not dead.

Palma told his friend that as he left — putting up his umbrella to shield him from the rain — he saw Keegan "kind of getting up and shot him again."

A few minutes later, Palma crossed paths with his third victim, Wilkinson, as he walked along Homewood Ave.

Moments later a resident heard a man call out "You bastard!" and then a gunshot.

Wilkinson's body was not discovered until 9 the next morning. He had also been shot in the head.

Palma remained in Toronto for more than a week after the killings before leaving for Montreal with his brother, Frank.

He was arrested June 1, sitting on a Halifax wharf


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »
Serge Archambault (not much info on him)
Near Montreal, a husband comes home from work and finds his wife bound, gagged and shot in the head. There is no evidence of sexual assault or theft and police are left without a lead to go on. Some years later, police are called out to a crime scene very similar to the scene four years earlier, but this time they find that the killer has stolen the victim's bankcard. They trace the card to a convenience store and by ingeniously matching the security camera to the bank records detectives acquire an image of their prime suspect. Police quickly locate and arrest the man who promptly admits to both murders as well as the murder of a woman gone missing 7 years earlier.


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 03:15:07 PM »
Michael Durant
Police investigating the possibility of a serial killer in the Niagara region of Southern Ontario have laid a first-degree murder charge against a man already accused of killing another woman.

Michael Durant, a 33-year-old Niagara region man, has been charged with the murder of 28-year-old Diane Dimitri, whose body was discovered in a ditch in Welland, Ont., in 2003. A court appearance has been scheduled for June 15.

In late January, police charged Durant with Cassey Cichocki's murder, less than a week after her body was found in a low-lying bush area in Niagara Falls, Ont. Police said Cichocki, a 22-year-old exotic dancer, died of ''physical trauma.''

Police formed a task force comprised of 12 investigators with the Niagara Regional Police earlier this year to investigate the unsolved homicides of five young women, including Dimitri and Cichocki.

They say the women were associated with ''high-risk'' lifestyles (namely, the sex trade or drug use) and their discarded bodies were found in the same region from as early as 1996.

Police said officers will continue to investigate whether their murders are linked. But Det. Sgt. Cliff Sexton, who heads up the task force, said he is keeping an open mind.

''I don't want to be heading down one path in my mind and exclude others,'' said Sexton, a 27-year police veteran who's worked on dozens of homicide cases in the region.

He said there is nothing to suggest that the accused ''is involved or not involved'' in the remaining three cases.

Police would not comment on details surrounding the ongoing investigations or what led them to make the second arrest, other than to say information from the public played a key role.

Police found Dimitri on Aug. 9, 2003. She was born in Montreal and moved to the Niagara region in 2001.

Cichocki's body was found on Jan. 24 in Niagara Falls, over a month after she was last heard from.

The first victim in the unsolved Niagara murders was Dawn Stewart, 32, who vanished in 1995. Her skeletal remains, as well as those of her unborn fetus, were found a year later in a roadside ditch in Pelham, Ont. Nadine Gurczenski was also found in a roadside ditch, in Vineland, Ont., in May 1999. Margaret Jeanette Jugaru, 26, was discovered in 2004.

National Post


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »
Peter Dale MacDonald
MacDonald, 52, was charged with three counts of first-degree murder Thursday in Toronto, on top of a murder charge he was already facing in Windsor, Ont. He is serving a life sentence for another Toronto slaying.

MacDonald grew up in the tiny P.E.I. community of Carleton Siding.

He had six siblings. People in the area say his parents were a hard-working couple who ran a general store and a potato warehouse. MacDonald's brothers and sisters all grew up to have careers, marriages and families of their own.

Those who knew MacDonald as a child say it's difficult to think of him as a killer. Brian O'Connor remembers playing with a young MacDonald in a local field.

"Then in the wintertime, down there in the hollow, used to be a great big pond," O'Connor said. "We used to spend pretty well a lot of time there playing hockey. Lot of good times."

"He never seemed to have a real bad temper or anything like that," said Hal MacWilliams, another acquaintaince."It had to have been something else that triggered off the way he turned out."

Peter Dale MacDonald grew up in the tiny P.E.I. community of Carleton Siding. (CBC)
At Carleton Siding's school, he became known as the student nobody wanted to cross, according to former classmates.

"Out of class, he'd get a little rowdy by times," Keith Lowther said. "I guess we all done that. Some of us just knew better when to stop."

MacDonald dropped out of school in Grade 9 and started having run-ins with police.

"Peter had a high IQ and school boredom," said retired RCMP officer Dave Holmes, who was a young corporal at the time police first encountered MacDonald. "So he dropped out of school and he started hanging around Summerside and Borden."

MacDonald became what a judge at the Prince County courthouse called "a regular customer."

Crimes became more violent
"I think he liked the feelings of committing crime because if you look at his record today, each time he seemed to be only out of jail for a few months or whatever before he was back in again," Holmes said. "And each offence seemed to be getting progressively more violent."

MacDonald was barely 18 when he was sentenced to two years in Dorchester Penitentiary in New Brunswick.

Peter Dale MacDonald once broke out of jail by digging this hole under his bunk. (CBC)
After his prison term, he worked a stint at an auctioneering business but was fired. He moved to Charlottetown, where Holmes said he got involved in drugs and prostitution. Judges continually sent MacDonald to jail, but he was undeterred.

MacDonald broke out of jail twice, once by tunnelling a hole through the wall under his bunk. He was picked up and sent back to prison.

He eventually moved to Hamilton, Ont., where he was sentenced to a total of 11 years in prison for robberies.

His record prompted police in Toronto to take a look at him when three women were killed in that city. Their bodies were found in Lake Ontario, between 1994 and 1997, but MacDonald wasn't charged with their deaths until this week. .

Julieanne Middleton, Virginia Coote and Darlene MacNeill were all sexually assaulted and strangled. They all worked in the sex trade.

Patrick Middleton, whose sister Julieanne is among MacDonald's alleged victims, went to court to see the accused for himself. (CBC)
Some of the victims' relatives were in court Thursday to see MacDonald for themselves.

"He's cold," said Patrick Middleton, Julieanne's brother. "He's evil. You felt the evil off of him."

Earlier this year, police in Windsor, Ont., charged MacDonald in another cold case, the sexual assault and strangling of Michelle Charette 10 years ago.

MacDonald is awaiting trial on all four charges of murder. He is already behind bars for killing Jimmy Campbell, a 63-year-old retiree he'd met in a Toronto park.

Read more:


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 03:40:02 PM »
Terry Arnold

In 1999, he was also convicted of raping and murdering Christine Browne, a 15-year-old runaway from Kimberley whose body was found in the hills west of Keremeos. He served five years of a life sentence, won a new trial on appeal, and then was released in 2002 when the Crown decided to stay the charge. 

He also had been investigated in the unsolved 1987 slaying of Denise Lapierre, 17, of Calgary.

The last words of a reputed serial killer -- also considered to be the prime suspect in the unsolved murder of a Calgary teen -- came in the form of a suicide note denying he murdered anyone, said B.C. cops. Terry Arnold, 42, was found in his Victoria apartment Saturday, the victim of a drug and alcohol overdose, Victoria police Sgt. Clark Russell said.

A three-page, unaddressed note with Arnold's prints on it was found next to the corpse.

"He denied killing anyone -- anyone

Terry Arnold not only fit the description of the person who killed doughnut shop waitress Barbara Stoppel in 1981, he fit it better than Thomas Sophonow -- the man wrongfully convicted of the murder and who spent four years in jail for a crime he did not commit. Arnold, a suspect in the case from the beginning of the murder investigation, was found dead on the weekend.

The death, a suicide, all but puts the brakes on any future prosecution in the Stoppel case.

Arnold was really the only suspect in this case from the outset. And when you read the commission of inquiry report into Sophonow's wrongful conviction, it's stunning to think police didn't arrest and charge Arnold back then.

Arnold was first interviewed by police shortly after the attack when he visited Stoppel in the hospital.

He told the family he was a truck driver who frequented the Ideal Donut Shop where Stoppel worked.

The constable who interviewed Arnold noticed he resembled the composite drawing of the killer.

Arnold had pimples and acne, just like the killer.

Sophonow did not have pimples and acne.

Arnold wore dark framed glasses, another feature described by witnesses.

The constable thought Arnold was "somewhat strange" and noted that Arnold lived only five minutes from the doughnut shop.

About the same time, a friend of Arnold called police to say Arnold bore a striking similarity to the composite sketch of the killer in the newspapers.

The friend also said Arnold regularly wore a cowboy hat and cowboy boots -- just like the killer.

Arnold was interviewed again by police. This time he told them that at one time, he had a crush on Stoppel.

Despite this, police -- amazingly -- didn't pursue Arnold further. They even had his fingerprints on file but didn't bother to compare them with the ones found at the murder scene.


"It is unfortunate that the investigation of Terry Arnold did not proceed further," commissioner Peter Cory wrote in his report. "This is a very sad and telling conclusion."

That's putting it mildly.

There was even more compelling evidence against Arnold that never came out at the time of the murder, according to police, who re-opened the investigation in 1999.

In a warrant application to obtain palm prints from Arnold in 2001, police claimed they had two unnamed witnesses who testified in 1985 that they knew and saw Arnold in the doughnut shop the afternoon of the murder.

Police also interviewed a waitress who provided a bogus alibi for Arnold in 1981. She admitted to police that she lied.

She told police Arnold came to her hours after the murder "shaking and appearing nervous," urging her to tell police -- if they asked -- that he was in the restaurant at the beginning of her shift, even though he wasn't.

Fortunately, much has improved in policing since 1981, including the science of profiling suspects.

Also, there is now a senior officer in charge of each major crime, something that didn't exist back then as work overlapped from one day to the next with no single officer handling the file.

That doesn't help the Stoppel family today, though.

Arnold's death means they will never have real closure in Barbara's murder.

And for that, all those involved in the botching of this case should be hanging their heads very low today.


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 03:53:05 PM »
Valery Fabrikant (born 28 January 1940[1] in Minsk, USSR), is a former associate professor of mechanical engineering at Concordia University. He was the gunman in the Concordia University massacre in which he killed four colleagues.

Born in the Soviet Union to a Jewish family, he immigrated to Canada in 1979 and began teaching at Concordia in 1980. Fabrikant blamed his colleagues for his being denied tenure on four successive occasions and for attempting to have his employment terminated. He also accused the university of tolerating the practice of academics being listed as co-authors on papers to which they have not contributed; in 1992 he went to court to try to have the names of several colleagues removed from research papers he had written in the 1980s. The case was to be heard in November of 2007, but the judge recused himself.[2] On November 26, 2007, his case was dismissed by Quebec Superior Court Judge Nicole Morneau. Morneau used a provision of the Quebec Code of Civil Procedures to dismiss cases that are found to be frivolous or unfounded.[3]

A contempt of court charge and threat of being killed in jail culminated in a shooting rampage on August 24, 1992 on the ninth floor of the Henry F. Hall Building at Concordia. Killed in the shooting spree were Departmental Chair Phoivos Ziogas and professors Matthew Douglass, Michael Hogben, and Jaan Saber. A departmental staff secretary, Elizabeth Horwood, was injured. Fabrikant believes that these killings were justified and that anyone else faced with a similar situation would have followed his actions. Fabrikant writes on his website: "I hope to be remembered as a person who had enough courage to fight lawlessness with deadly force and I hope to encourage others to do the same." [4]

Fabrikant represented himself at his trial. After several weeks of eccentric behaviour, the judge suspended the proceedings in order to conduct a hearing into Fabrikant's mental fitness to stand trial. He was eventually found fit and after three months of proceedings by two psychiatrists, the judge stopped his defense and he was found guilty of first-degree murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.

Despite two psychiatrists ruling in his favor, Fabrikant thought he was insulted by these two psychologists, and, according to Dr. Louis Morisette, asked to meet with Morisette,[5] working at Philippe-Pinel Institute specializing in legal psychiatry (prison for the mentally disturbed) where Fabrikant spent several days during the time of his trial. Morisette spent several hours over a few days with Fabrikant. "Fabrikant wanted my help to counter argue the two psychiatrists opinion on him in court, and to help him argue that psychology has no scientific basis and proves nothing.” Morisette does in fact disagree with the two psychologists, noting that co-workers' and students' satisfaction reports had always been fine until Fabrikant’s leave of absence for a heart attack. Problems reported by students coincide with his return in 1992. "Mr. Fabrikant suffers, in my opinion, from more than a simple personality disorder, [...] he could be treated by pharmaceutical products, a treatment he always refused.” “We often push the trial dates of people who suffer from complications because of heart attacks. In my opinion Fabrikant is not fit to stand trial.” [6]

Fabrikant is serving his sentence at Archambault Prison in Sainte-Anne-Des-Plaines. He continues his academic research from within prison.[7] Recently he published a paper in IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics.[8] The author's address was Prisoner #167932D, Archambault Jail, Ste-Anne-des-Plaines, Quebec, Canada J0N 1H0.

Fabrikant is a usenet user known for posting in newsgroups, particularly can.general and can.politics, claiming that he is the innocent victim of a conspiracy against him.

The Fabrikant incident resulted in a series of investigations and a formalization of research ethics guidelines by Canada's research funding agencies. An investigation on the conduct of the faculty in Fabrikant's department revealed that some of Fabrikant's claims were indeed true. The three researchers who were the primary target of Fabrikant's allegations have since then had their research accounts frozen by NSERC for misappropriating research funds and have been forced to take early retirement.


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »
Denis Lortie is a former Canadian army corporal. In 1984, he stormed into the National Assembly of Quebec building and killed three Quebec government employees.

Cpl Lortie was a Supply Technician in the Canadian Forces and was disgruntled with a number of policies of the Quebec and federal governments. He planned a killing spree as a means of broadcasting his discontent.

On May 7 of that year, Lortie left the CFS Carp military base (better known as the Diefenbunker) pretending that he needed time off to arrange a divorce with his wife. Instead, he rented a car, drove to Quebec City and took a guided tour of the Quebec Parliament Building. He then rented a room in a motel on Laurier Boulevard for the night.

The next day, at 9:30 a.m., Lortie walked into CJRP radio station in Quebec City and dropped off a sealed envelope containing an audiotape for one of the station's hosts, André Arthur. He instructed the radio staff not to open the envelope until 10:30 a.m. but they opened it anyway, discovering that it was a statement of Lortie's plans, in which he declared that "The government now in power is going to be destroyed." However, by the time radio staff contacted police, Lortie's plan had already been put into action.

At 9:45 a.m., Lortie entered the Quebec Parliament Building through a side door located on Grande-Allée. He was dressed in combat fatigues and armed with two submachine guns. As he entered the building, he shot at a receptionist, then killed a messenger that he encountered in a corridor. He went into a smoking room and shot at the people there. He then went to the cafeteria, but finally found his way into the Assembly Chamber.

Based on later testimony, it is clear he intended to assassinate Premier René Lévesque and other members of the governing Parti Québécois. His plan was to enter the Assembly Chamber during the parliamentary committee starting at 10:00 that morning. However instead of using a watch, Lortie timed his attack by listening to CJRP and waited for the station's host, André Arthur, to end his segment. Fortunately that day, André Arthur ended his broadcast 20 minutes early, leading Lortie to enter the building and make his way to the Assembly Chamber while it was still mostly empty. Nevertheless, Lortie killed three government employees (Georges Boyer, Camille Lepage and Roger Lefrançois) and wounded 13 others. No politicians were killed or wounded.

The National Assembly's Sergeant-at-Arms, René Jalbert, was told there was a man with a gun in the Assembly Chamber. Upon stepping out the elevator, Lortie fired on him. Seeing that Lortie was in a military uniform, Jalbert told him that he too had been a soldier with the Van Doos (slang for the Royal 22e Régiment), and that if Lortie allowed he would show him his discharge card. Lortie agreed, after which Jalbert persuaded him to show his own identification.

After this exchange, Jalbert persuaded Lortie to come to his office to discuss the matter, and release the other civilians in the Assembly Chamber. Jalbert talked to Lortie for over four hours, ultimately persuading him to surrender to military police (he was unwilling to surrender to civilian police) at 14:22. For his heroic act which likely prevented further death, the Canadian government several months later awarded Jalbert the Cross of Valour.

One of the factors contributing to the crime was the easy access that Lortie had to both weapons and ammunition. Unlike other non-combat Canadian Forces Bases, the CFS Carp "Diefenbunker" did not have room for separate weapons and ammunition lockers[1].

According to psychiatrist Pierre Mailloux who was assigned to the case, Lortie suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and had organized his crime during a psychotic episode, believed his was acting on instructions from God. Nevertheless, in 1985, Lortie was convicted of first-degree murder, but a new trial was ordered due to legal errors. Lortie pleaded guilty to reduced charges of second-degree murder in 1987.

Lortie was paroled in December 1995.


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 04:31:45 PM »
David Threinen
killed four Saskatoon children in the summer of 1975.
DAHRLYNE CRANFIELD (12) and ROBERT GRUBESIC (9) - abducted June 1975
SAMANTHA TURNER ( and CATHY SCOTT (7) - abducted July 1975
David Threinen, 52 - "fixated pedophile" with predatory and homicidal tendencies
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and Agassiz, British Columbia, Canada
Serial child killer says he doesn't want parole or useless treatment -- (CP)
A serial child killer who terrorized Saskatoon with a string of murders in the mid-1970s told a parole board Thursday he's where he belongs - in prison until he dies.

David Threinen was also questioned in the murder of 11 year old Karen Ewanciw, but was never charged.
Last reported news on him, was that


  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Re: Reference - Canadian Serial Killers
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 04:36:48 PM »
Camille Cleroux (possible serial killer)
The man accused of killing a south end Ottawa woman and taking over her apartment now faces two additional murder charges involving two former spouses.

56-year-old Camille Cleroux made a brief court appearance today for the formal reading of two more first-degree murder charges against him.

27-year-old Lise Roy has not been heard from since 1990; 32-year-old Jean Rock disappeared in 2003. Neither women had ever been reported missing, and had had no contact with their families. It was not until police began investigating Cleroux, that their disappearances have come to light.

Cleroux was already charged with first-degree murder in the death of Paula Leclair earlier this month. He had told Leclair's neighbours she went to Florida after winning the lottery and had turned her apartment over to him. Her body was found in a wooded area near her Fairlea Crescent apartment on June 2nd.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 04:40:43 PM by Edsonmom »