Author Topic: Unsolved Murders - Michigan - 1960's  (Read 7064 times)

Desespere

Unsolved Murders - Michigan - 1960's
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:00:04 AM »
This is a really sad case... a whole family murdered in their vacation cabin in 1968.

http://www.unsolvedhomicide.com/

Good Heart, MI - Tuesday, June 24, 2003 marked the 35th anniversary of the tragic Robison murders. On June 24, 1968 all six members of the Richard Robison family were murdered in northern Emmet County. They were found in their cabin north of Petoskey on July 22, 1968. this case is still unsolved.

The Emmet County Sheriff's Department, along with the Emmet County Prosecutor's Office, Michigan Attorney General's office and the Michigan State Police met in Emmet County in early June, 1998. Also at that meeting was a friend of the family and a representative from the Grand Rapids Silent Observer program.

Now five years later, on the 35th anniversary the Emmet County Sheriff's Department and the Michigan State Police have teamed up to investigate the Robison case. They are aided by the friend of the family, and the tip/reward programs of the Grand Rapids Silent Observer and the Crime Stoppers Alliance of Michigan The hope is that, the tip/reward programs in combination with the DNA exam and the 35th anniversary, will get the attention of someone who knows who killed the Robison family.

Some foreign hairs were removed from one family member. These hairs will be examined to see if they have some DNA and if there is some DNA, it will be compared to the lead suspect as well as the CODIS DNA samples taken from convicted felons. CODIS is the national Combined DNA Index System database.

It may take until well after the 35th anniversary has passed to know if there is a usable sample of DNA, so it is necessary to publicize the unsolved case now, in the hope that some new information can be gleaned about the unsolved homicides of the Robison family.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Murders - Michigan - 1960's
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 01:54:17 PM »
Yes I have been to SSM, this is a very busy border town. So busy in fact there is always a major traffic jam in the city from people crossing over. I had to abondon my trip to Second Cup and KFC because of it.

SSM is quite a remote place, over 7 hours from Toronto and at least another 8 hours I think to Thunder Bay. But, the area is HUGE hunting and for outdoors people. Heading south from SSM would be the fastest route back to Windsor area.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 04:55:15 PM »
Hech yeah they'd do that, especially back in those days. The highway is 1 lane on the Canada side and double lane divided mostly on the USA side. I am sure you would get there at least an hour faster that way.

And I am sure the roads in Canada were worse then.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 07:33:35 PM »
And I have read that the highway past Newmarket was notoriously horrible until the 80's when they started to widen and regrade it. It used to be single lane all the way thru.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 07:38:47 PM »
According to my map program, going from London to SSM via USA is 662 kms.
Going via Canada is 853.

Add the different speed limits due to types of highway, it would be almost 3 hours faster via USA.