Author Topic: Alleged sexual assault victim speaks out  (Read 1660 times)

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Alleged sexual assault victim speaks out
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:14:50 AM »
I just wanted to post this story, for all of us, who have been raped or sexualy assulted, by a family member/friend of the family, and have never went to the police. I have so much respect for this woman & her children for finally comming forward. Rape by a family member, takes its toll on ones soul. It affects you for the rest of your life. Without proper therapy, it destroys you.

Alleged sexual assault victim speaks out

By TAMARA CHERRY, Toronto Sun

Last week, Toronto Police announced the arrest of a 70-year-old man on sex assault allegations dating back four decades. This is the story of two of his alleged victims, whose names have been changed. None of the allegations have been proven in court.

TORONTO - This time, Theresa isn't keeping quiet.

For 40 years, she was told not to say what "Uncle Tom" allegedly did to her, not to talk about his late-night visits into her bedroom. For 40 years, she listened.

But three months ago, something changed.

The 47-year-old Toronto woman found out that she wasn't the only victim - Uncle Tom allegedly molested her son, too.

The 70-year-old man was granted bail Friday and Theresa fears that if he is convicted, the courts will go easy on him because of his age.

"I don't care if you're 80 years old, you're not getting away with this," Theresa said Sunday inside her east-end apartment. "This man should not be out in public. 

"He is a pedophile. He is a child molester in my eyes. He is a predator. He's attacked the innocent. He's destroyed lives," she alleged. "And I have nothing to hide. I want to tell the truth."

It was between 1969 and 1971 that Theresa and her sister were sent to a babysitter they knew as Uncle Tom on the weekends.

"He literally came over to the bed, sat on the side of the bed and stuck his hands down my pants and fondled my private area," she alleged. "I never knew what that was for, but I knew that it wasn't right."

Theresa recalled the fear she felt as a six-year-old when she went to bed and heard him walk past her room.

"I was petrified when I went to sleep. I mean, petrified," she said. "There were times my sister and I would lay in bed just going, 'Please, God, let him just pass through'."

Not until she was 13 did Theresa build up the courage to tell her mother what happened.

The man's wife had a heart condition that made Theresa's mother fearful that should the abuse be made public, the woman may die. She asked Theresa to "do nothing."

Theresa complied and carried a dark past with her.

She dropped out of school after Grade 8 and fell into a wild life filled with abusive boyfriends, broken bones and a drug addiction. She stripped to make ends meet.

At 19, she had her first son, Bill, and at 21, she had her second.

"Don't ever let anyone touch you," Theresa would tell her kids throughout the years.

In October 1987, Theresa was arrested for selling LSD to an undercover cop and possession of cocaine. The following June, she was sentenced to three months in jail and two years probation.

With Theresa in jail, her two sons were left with her mother who, for one week, sent them to the same babysitter that allegedly molested Theresa.

Theresa maintains that others were molested by the same man.

After Uncle Tom's wife died about a decade ago, Theresa was asked by one of those people to keep her mouth shut for the sake of the other alleged victim's family, she said. Again, Theresa complied.

Uncle Tom moved to Newfoundland shortly after.

Meanwhile, Theresa noticed there was something wrong with Bill, who began using drugs at 14, "maybe 12, I don't know," she said.

He would later be charged with assault and today, at 28, is a "synthetic heroine junkie, sticking needles in his arms."

It was three months ago that Theresa got a call from Bill's girlfriend.

"She said, 'Theresa, he was touched by Uncle Tom'."

Theresa went to police that night and, some weeks later, Bill did, too.

"He touched my son on several occasions throughout that week," she alleged, charging the man would turn on the Atari game and masturbate while he fondled the youngster.

Last week, Toronto Police brought Thomas Duval back to Toronto on charges of indecent assault against a female and sexual assault.

On Friday, he was granted $5,000 bail on conditions that include him staying away from Theresa, Bill and children, Theresa said.

"I have not been the same person since I found out (about Bill)," she said. "I wake up in the morning and the tears keep coming ... I'm just thinking, 'Oh my God, my poor kid'."

Reflecting on her own tortured life, Theresa said she fears her son won't make it through his nightmare.

"That's an awful feeling as a mother, to know that I'm hoping he makes it because he might not make it. His mind's been traumatized, tortured by that man," she alleged. "This is his life and he's losing this time because now it's hit him. But at least he's talking now so there's hope for healing."

Anyone with information was asked to contact police at 416-808-4100 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

tamara.cherry@sunmedia.ca
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2010/12/06/16441766.html

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
Re: Alleged sexual assault victim speaks out
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »
well good for her. I myself wouldnt go to the news or any type of media,  but I would do whatever I could to put him away.