Author Topic: Prominent Edmonton realtor missing Mike Kozicki - Nov. 21, 2010  (Read 107917 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Prominent Edmonton realtor missing Mike Kozicki - Nov. 21, 2010
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2010, 07:04:17 PM »
How could his wife just sell the company, that doesn't even sound legal to me. He was just reported missing and it is not even a month yet. This doesn't sound right, unless she was the sole owner of this business and only her name was on the title. His name could not have been on as part owner of this business. I worked in the court system a long time and I have never heard of anyone selling a property when a person has only gone missing for three weeks. One time it was seven years before you could do anything, but I don't know if that is the correct time now or not. It sure makes it look very suspicious related to Mrs. K. I don't know what to think about that, a very cold hearted person, I would say. We wouldn't be privy to the business end of it, that would be all private with the investigator of this case. Sure sounds off the wall to me. :o :o :o :o

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2010, 07:12:19 PM »
If Mike's car was found in the middle of the bridge, and the police found a suicide note in it.....don't you think they would go straight to his wife?   Would they just phone her, when by all accounts it does look like a suicide from the first responders point of view.   Doesn't LE go straight to the person's home to deliver the news?    Or am I wrong.

SAP

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »
If Mike's car was found in the middle of the bridge, and the police found a suicide note in it.....don't you think they would go straight to his wife?   Would they just phone her, when by all accounts it does look like a suicide from the first responders point of view.   Doesn't LE go straight to the person's home to deliver the news?    Or am I wrong.

You aren't wrong Jobo. Police are usually very good about those kinds of things and come straight to the house.
With the vehicle in the middle of the bridge...isn't too clear either. Was it in the middle of two lanes of the bridge or halfway between the ends of the bridge?
Sylvia was quoted as saying for the past 3 weeks (after he went missing) she was watching the door thinking he would walk through at any time. Would she say that if she believed he committed suicide? We still don't know exactly what the note said. If he was forced to write a suicide note, forensics should be able to compare writing samples and find if he was under some kind of pressure or duress; and if he was forced to write a note, he would be smart enough to make some changes in style I would think.

Capeheart:
There is a mortgage co under Sylvia's name. Perhaps that company carried the mortgage on Mike's new building...but I don't know the legalities on that if she could sell his company...did she cancel the loan? It might be interesting to know who all had money invested in her company.

Insider1

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2010, 01:55:06 AM »
I don't know where or how the rumour started that Mike took off his clothes and left them in the car, but as someone who has spoken to the two investigators (Cst. Jim Gurney and Cst. Sean Jenkinson) who are working on this Missing Persons case - I can assure you that this rumour is absolutely 100% false.

AS I SAID when I posted it, that it was rumor that this was the case. It was not confirmed information, just something that had been flying around the Real Estate Industry as a possibility.

I realize You said it was a rumor that had been floating around (and I, myself, had heard it was going around as well..so I was moreso wondering how such a rumor could have even started in the first place - especially since it isn't true). Unfortunately, it seemed to have gotten accepted as a fact on this forum by others, and even spread to the comments section of a Gateway article ("The High Level's morbid legacy"), which is why I thought it was time to step in and clear things up.

Insider1

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2010, 03:06:50 AM »
Also, BB81 - I'm very sorry you lost your fiance in such a tragic way.

But thank you for providing us with insight into Sylvia's character - it's clear that your opinion of her is shared by many.

Your insight on the legality of her selling the business is also appreciated. Regardless of what the ownership details of it may be, one thing is certain: even though he has not been declared dead, she's definitely not wasting any time trying to sell off his business (which I'm sure we can agree Mike worked very hard to build up).

And I know Mike is well respected for his accomplishments in the real estate industry - it was his life. This situation is completely out of character for him, which only makes it more puzzling and difficult to comprehend. As people here share their "theories" on what they heard or think happened to him though, these theories often become rumours which end up reaching his loved ones - and that only makes this situation more painful for them. So while I completely agree we all want closure (and hopefully we get it soon), all I'm saying is that we also remember we're talking about a "real" person...and although he's Missing, he has two children who are able to read what you post about their father. So, for their sake, let's be respectful and not reduce this to a National Enquirer-type story.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2010, 07:29:06 AM »
Insider1  I had said in a previous post that out of respect for the family, I would not be posting again on this thread.  You have tactfully put forward the concern of the feelings of the son and daughter, sometimes this is forgotten in the mix of things. . We tend to forget that this is the INTERNET, and anything said spreads throughout the cyber world and is difficult to get rid of. And I include myself as being guilty of this at times. Mikes finances? None of my business, nor to millions of others.  His relationships? None of my business, nor to millions of others. His religion? None of my business, nor to millions of others.
My sincere condolences to his son and daughter.  Hold your head up high, you had a wonderful father. Respected by all who knew him, and his contribution to the City of Edmonton was enormous, and his name was well known and respected to those who never met him.  We need more citizens like him.

Peace
JB

Peace
JB
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:38:55 AM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2010, 10:02:04 AM »
Anrah:  Facts are inconsistent due to rumours and gossip, which are treated as"fact", which in turn creates a National Enquirer mentality. The man probably committed suicide.  And why he did, is none of my business. Remains are often not found for months.  The N. Sask river flows at 3-4 kms per hour. That is all that I will ever post on this topic. The family is not. obligated to come forward to give any reasons why, or to discuss their personal lives.  Suicide is a deeply personal affair to families, and conjecture  on other peoples part would be very hurtful to them.

I think the topic of suicide is a good topic to discuss, as we can learn alot about it, however it requires it's own thread would you not agree? Perhaps you may want to start a thread on this topic, as it would be very useful.  Thanks

Peace
JB
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:44:30 PM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2010, 10:23:17 AM »
And I know Mike is well respected for his accomplishments in the real estate industry - it was his life. This situation is completely out of character for him, which only makes it more puzzling and difficult to comprehend. As people here share their "theories" on what they heard or think happened to him though, these theories often become rumours which end up reaching his loved ones - and that only makes this situation more painful for them. So while I completely agree we all want closure (and hopefully we get it soon), all I'm saying is that we also remember we're talking about a "real" person...and although he's Missing, he has two children who are able to read what you post about their father. So, for their sake, let's be respectful and not reduce this to a National Enquirer-type story.

Thank you for this Insider. I also agree and wish my best to Mike's children/family at this difficult time.

SAP

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »
Thank you, Insider. I'm along with JB, Carol-Lynn, and Debbie. If you wish that I remove any of my postings, please let me know.
I mean no disrespect to Mike or his children and wish them peace in this difficult time. My main concern is always the victim/s and because I  don't like to see someone getting away with wrong doing if that happened.  It breaks my heart when people feel they have no other recourse than S. I too will refrain from further speculation.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2010, 12:09:50 AM »
I'm very sorry for his children too, and mean no harm. No one wants to upset them further. We'll remain respectful of the fact they could happen upon this site and read.

Mike is still missing. The police are asking for help. This means they are not ready to call it suicide yet. There are still questions that need answers, and even his loves ones will want to know those answers. Until this is solved, we should be open to any possibility, as more than one person here remains skeptical of what might have happened.

scotsquine

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2010, 07:21:46 AM »
I'm sorry for going off topic but I think a suicide thread would be very helpful.  I still struggle with the fact that my children's father shot himself this time of year 2 years ago.  A police officer called my daughter 21 when she was christmas shopping at Southgate Mall and told her dad killed himself.  Then she went on to call my 18 year old son at home and told him the same thing.  Shouldn't they have come to our house and delivered the news personally?  This still bothers me a great deal.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »
I don't see how this can be called respectful without covering his finances, his relationships, very personal things indeed. Police will still have him on the MIssing Persons List until his remains are found. Albert Kunkel drowned (see his thread) and since his remains have not been found, he is considered Missing.  To my mind, that is all that it is. The City Missing Persons Unit are asking if anyone saw anything unusual on the High Level Bridge - and if so to call them.  That's it!
Venting personal feelings about his wife is not respectful, musing over his finances is not respectful, wondering why property is being sold at this early date, and conspiracy theories is not respectful.
In my opinion, I don't see how anything positive can be achieved. Ha I said that I would not be posting on this thread  again, and look at me -- SHEESH.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:24:42 AM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2010, 12:04:21 PM »
I think perhaps the family may in the end,  Be the Big Brother in this case.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »
I'm sorry for going off topic but I think a suicide thread would be very helpful.  I still struggle with the fact that my children's father shot himself this time of year 2 years ago.  A police officer called my daughter 21 when she was christmas shopping at Southgate Mall and told her dad killed himself.  Then she went on to call my 18 year old son at home and told him the same thing.  Shouldn't they have come to our house and delivered the news personally?  This still bothers me a great deal.

That's an awful thing for your children to have to live with scots. In my opinion it is just plain wrong, the way it was done.

jellybean has started a thread for suicide and it's impact.
I've posted the link below.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,4329.msg51566.html#msg51566

Insider1

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2010, 06:52:35 PM »
Where are the clear reports stating the car was on the bridge, not by the police station, or the other way around. Why isn't just that fact being clarified?

I'm sorry, Ahnra, but I'm not sure how you think you will be able to solve this "mystery" on here (and think you can do a better job of it than EPS investigators) when you're not even keeping track of the Factual information that has been posted on this thread more than once.

There was a snippet in the Edmonton Sun about his disappearance on December 9th/10 ( Page 11)  I remember hearing about the abandoned Mercedes on the bridge that night ( On Edmonton Fire Radio)  Very strange disappearance! ( You have to wonder what transpired on that bridge that night... )

Help Sought

Jeff Cummings
Edmonton Sun

Edmonton City cops are asking the public's help in finding a well-known realtor who disappeared on Nov. 14.  Mike Kozicki, a 50 year old broker with Century 21 Royal Real Estate, was reported missing after police found his abandoned black 2008 Mercedes-Benz on the middle of the High Level Bridge that night. Dean Parthenis, a police spokesman says investigators are hoping to hear from any motorists who were on the bridge and may have seen "any unusual activity" that night. Police are asking witnesses to call 780-423-4567.  This case is considered to be non-criminal and it's still an active investigation, said Parthenis. Kozicki was named to the Edmonton Real Estate Board's elite  $ 10 Million club ( $10 Million in sales) in 1997. He was also named Century 21's top Canadian realtor in 1998.

jeff.cummings@sunmedia.ca

So to reiterate - Mike's car was NOT found near the police station downtown - that information was WRONG. That is why the police came forward and released the actual location his vehicle was found - "on the middle of the High Level Bridge" - in hopes that it would get any potential witnesses to come forward.

And as you see, Police have also said that "this case is considered to be non-criminal." So even though it may be hard to believe, and it may be more fun to play "detective" by coming up with conspiracy theories and taking rumours (like, for example, that he took off his clothes) for facts, I'm sure the police have their own "clues" (which you are by no means entitled to be informed about) which have led them to that conclusion.