Author Topic: Unidentified Human Remains | 40-65 Male | Hamilton | 2005 or 2006  (Read 6585 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Identity Unknown

In an attempt to make an identification, Hamilton Police are releasing facial reconstruction photos from human remains that were found in the Glanbrook area one year ago.

On April 9th, 2007 at approximately 6:10 p.m. a Glanbrook resident was walking their dog along Glancaster Road when they observed an object in the ditch just off the west side of the roadway.  They took a closer look and believed that what they were looking at was a human skull.  The Hamilton Police Service was notified and responded to the scene. 

Coroner Dr. Richard Porter attended the scene, confirmed that the skull was human, and issued a warrant for a post mortem to be conducted on the remains at the Hamilton General Hospital.

On April 18th, 2007 Hamilton Police commenced a search of the area utilizing their Ground Search and Rescue Team, O.P.P. cadaver dogs and volunteers from the community.  Approximately one hour into the search, O.P.P. cadaver dogs located human remains near the intersection of Glancaster Road and Fiddlers Green Road in a heavily forested area.

Coroner Dr. Richard Porter again attended the scene and ordered that the human remains be taken to the Hamilton General Hospital for an autopsy.  The scene was photographed and videotaped by members of the Hamilton Police Service Forensic Unit.

An autopsy was conducted at the Hamilton General Morgue by Forensic Pathologist Dr. Chitra Rao and Forensic Anthropologist Dr. Shelley R. Saunders of McMaster University.  As a result, the skull initially recovered was positively matched to the remains located in the wooded area.  Foul play has been ruled out.

On May 11th, 2007 the Hamilton Police Service and McMaster University Anthropology students re-attended the location where the remains were located and conducted another search locating additional exhibits for the investigation.

The human remains are described as follows:
http://www.hamiltonpolice.on.ca/HPS/CrimeFiles/UnidentifiedHumanRemains/missing.htm
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:24:46 PM by Concerned »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified Human Remains | 40-65 Male | Hamilton | 2005 or 2006
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
In an attempt to make an identification, Hamilton Police are releasing facial reconstruction photos from human remains that were found in the Glanbrook area one year ago.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »
I have always found this case odd, in that Hamilton Police state foul play is not suspected.

This person was found in the bush in a large farming area, did not live anywhere near this location and no report of a vehicle recovered to explain how he got there.

Hamilton airport is not far away, however there is literally nothing else closeby.  If he was observing planes taking off and landing, he needed transportation to get there.  Why did he go into the bush?

Hamilton Police should have circulated this picture much further afield that the nearest jurisdictions - he could have stepped off a plane from many locations.  Seems to me somewhere, a landlord had to dipose of his personal belongings or a home was foreclosed on with no missing persons report.

The OPP released pictures of clothing and other items found with the remains.

http://www.sardogsontario.com/Media%20Articles/HRD_Glancaster_Rd_2.pdf

WolverineBlue

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 05:08:14 PM »
I agree it's odd, but I'm guessing the police are holding some info back if they do not suspect foul play.

I highly doubt he had just got off a plane. He was found with a folding knife, which was an item not allowed on planes after 9/11 (as well as the nail clippers at one point). JMO

soccermom

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »
I also think the finding against foul play seems premature.  I mean this with no disrespect, but I think often these cases get lumped as such because under-resourced LE are being pressured by families, the media and public to solve crimes we already know exist and to locate folks whose families are in anguish seeking. We have lots of cases as crimes with missing bodies; here we have a body and no reported crime. It's easier for LE this way. But the news story seems to suggest the skull and remaining remains were found fairly far-ish apart. I know, I know: we're always told animals, wind, and water can relocate decayed parts.

I hope we can discover who this man was, and hopefully offer a family some peace.

hombres4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
The area is not walking distance to the airport. I know the area well. One side of bush has houses facing it and other side Has 1 home backing on to it. The one side even though gets heavy traffic can be quite isolated.

WolverineBlue

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:55:23 AM »
They can also tell after examining the remains if trauma was inflicted on the bones ante- or post-mortem. Usually things like bullet holes (not necessarily in the skull), knife marks on bone or other markings can indicate foul play. Bones scattered over an area without markings tends to be the results of animal foraging (animal teeth marks may also be seen) and/or weather.

I agree it's odd no one has reported him missing - I find that part the most suspicious.

AllApologies

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »
Any thoughts to John McCarthy from Ottawa as a match?

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=4236.0

Similar age, height, weight and date of his dissapearance lines up as well.