Author Topic: Sandra Lamb | Age 49 | November 29, 2010 | Edmonton  (Read 24118 times)

SAP

Re: Sandra Lamb | Age 49 | November 29, 2010 | Edmonton
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/09/11/accused-mother-killer-found-not-fit-for-trial-in-edmonton-court

An Edmonton woman accused of murdering her mother - who has somehow become pregnant while in custody at Alberta Hospital - has been found unfit to stand trial.

A Court of Queen's Bench jury of eight women and four men declared Kirsten Michelle Lamb, 31, to be "unfit" Thursday morning after a two-day hearing that ended Wednesday, a day of deliberations and a night at a hotel.

Lamb - a mother of three who prefers to go by her father's name and calls herself Kirsten Throndson - is charged with second-degree murder for the November 2010 slaying of Sandra Lamb, 49, at her Capilano-area home.

On Monday, psychiatrist Dr. Roger Brown testified at the fitness hearing that Lamb has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and said she is currently unfit to stand trial as a result of her not understanding her current legal situation due to multiple persecutory delusional beliefs.

These beliefs include her claiming that her mother is still alive and actively involved in a conspiracy to frame her on the murder charge and keep her detained.

Brown told the jury Lamb also believes she has been tried for the same offence multiple times and been acquitted each time.

CLAIMS SHE IS MARRIED TO CROWN

She also maintains that the Crown prosecutor in the case is her current or past spouse.

Lamb has also revealed she is pregnant, although she has refused to name the father, and the jury heard she is due to give birth in early November.

In a report by Brown, which was made an exhibit in the hearing, the psychiatrist says Lamb was admitted to Alberta Hospital on Dec. 16, 2013 for a court-ordered assessment and has remained there since.

She has refused psychiatric treatment and, after hospital officials had her certified under the Mental Health Act and declared her incompetent to make treatment decisions in July, she finally agreed to have a pregnancy test done to avoid being treated with psychiatric medication.

The pregnancy was also confirmed by an ultrasound.

Based on the times involved, Lamb became pregnant while in secure custody at Alberta Hospital and it can only be assumed the father would have to be either a fellow patient, a staff member or someone who visited her.

According to Brown's report, Lamb has endorsed various grandiose beliefs of being a surgeon, a psychiatrist, and dean of a university, among other professions, all simultaneously. She also mentioned she has been practicing medicine for a long time, had performed thousands of surgeries and is much older than her stated age.

ACTED AS THOUGH SHE WAS A DOCTOR

The report says she interacted with patients as if she were a doctor and presented herself as a wealthy real estate owner with multiple properties and investments in low income areas as acts of charity and goodwill and using the profits to hire nannies for her children. Collateral information contradicts these beliefs.

The report also says Lamb's sister mentioned unusual behaviour of hanging a voodoo doll in front of one of her daughter's rooms. It was also reported that Lamb had shaved half the head of one daughter and told the kids that she "had to lie down to get the demons out."

Regarding her time at Alberta Hospital, the report says Lamb mostly keeps herself isolated, usually staying in her room. And while she denies hearing any voices or experiencing any perceptual disturbances, nursing staff consistently report hearing her screaming and yelling when she is alone in her room. She appears to be yelling at individuals, asking them to leave her alone. In interviews, she occasionally mumbles and appears to make remarks to someone near her, when there is nobody present.

The jury also heard Lamb was in the Edmonton Remand Centre for three years prior to being transferred to Alberta Hospital and psychiatric reports from that time indicate she endorsed delusions of physical concerns relating to having suffered a chronic traumatic brain injury, heart attacks, loss of eyesight and fainting spells.

It also says she endorsed various grandiose themes of being an entrepreneur and being accepted into the doctorate program in dentistry at Grant MacEwan, as well as opening several Best Buy stores in Edmonton.

COMPLAINT OF SERIOUS INJURY

Brown writes Lamb has complained of multiple medical symptoms during his interviews and refers to being severely injured. However, he says it is not apparent that she has any significant medical issues at present.

Typically, when an accused person is found unfit, they are referred to the Alberta Review Board - who holds a disposition hearing, usually resulting in the person being held at Alberta Hospital - and then periodically has the person reassessed as to their fitness to stand trial.

However, Lamb said in court that she wants the judge to hold a disposition hearing. The matter was then adjourned to Monday to discuss that possibility.

Brown has said that doctors want to treat Lamb with psychiatric medication once her baby is born.

It is not known what would happen to the child.

At the time of Sandra Lamb's slaying, police said they were called to her 10816 52 St. home on Nov. 29, 2010, to check on her welfare and officers discovered the pipe-fitter's body inside.

An autopsy was performed, but police have not released the cause of her death.

Kirsten Lamb was charged in the slaying on Dec. 26, 2010.

Sandra Lamb was a member of the Pipefitters Union Local 488. In a statement released at the time, the union called the killing "devastating" and said "it's a loss of a sister of our union."

According to a newspaper obituary, Sandra Lamb left behind three daughters and five grandchildren.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 08:06:04 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kirsten-lamb-testifies-about-the-night-her-mother-was-killed-1.3463096

Kirsten Lamb testifies about the night her mother was killed
'I can live with myself just fine,' she tells court, 'my children are alive, safe and sound'
By Janice Johnston, CBC News Posted: Feb 24, 2016 6:40 PM MT Last Updated: Feb 24, 2016 7:01 PM MT

Kirsten Lamb took the stand in her own defence Wednesday and admitted she smashed her mother's head several times with a hammer, then slit her throat.

Under cross-examination, Lamb insisted that fear, not anger, motivated the gruesome attack.

At one point, Crown Prosecutor Danielle Green asked Lamb why she kept attacking an unarmed woman.

"Would you agree you did that because you were angry with her?" Green asked.

"No, I was frightened," Lamb testified. "I couldn't risk being hit in the head again. She had her fists. She was still armed. And very dangerous."

blood on stairs
This police photograph of blood on the stairway was entered as an exhibit at the trial. (CBC)

Lamb, 32, is charged with second-degree murder. On the stand Wednesday, she described a lifetime dysfunctional relationship with her mother.

But she testified she didn't hate her mother, but rather was "scared of her."

Lamb told court her mother, Sandra, was a terrible parent and refused to call her by anything but her first name.

Lamb said she was abandoned by her mother when she was four.

She testified her mother attacked her with a hammer when she was 16, and "caved in" her skull.

Sixteen years later, she told court about another hammer, this time in her own hands.

Late on a Saturday night in November 2010, Kirsten Lamb showed up at the back door of her mother's Capilano-area bungalow. It was dark outside, and Lamb knocked. When her mother opened the door, she stepped inside the back hallway.

The two women argued. Lamb said her mother punched her in the face, then stepped into the kitchen. 

The Crown prosecutor asked Lamb why she didn't just leave. 

"I froze," she testified. "I didn't have time to leave."

'Dazed and confused'

Lamb claimed her mother came back to the hallway with a hammer. They wrestled for control of the weapon. More punches were thrown and Lamb said her mother lost her balance and they both "plummeted" down the stairs.

"I was dazed and confused", she said. "Disoriented." 

Lamb testified her mother stood up and walked down the short basement hallway to turn on the laundry room light. Her mother had the hammer. The two struggled and the daughter took it away.

Lamb admitted she bashed her mother on the head with the hammer more than five times before the older woman collapsed to the floor.

"As she fell, I was hitting her," Lamb testified.

She continued to strike her mother while she was on the floor. 

She then cut her mother's throat with a knife because, she testified, because she didn't think her mother "was injured badly enough."

"At some point before you left the basement, did you look to see what you had done?" Green asked.

"I tried to check her once," Lamb replied. "All I could see was blood."

After the killing, the accused said she left her mother's house and made the 90-minute trip back to her home in the village of Rosalind. She admitted she was "covered in blood" and said she "couldn't think straight."

"I felt I had to get to somewhere safe before I collapsed."

Once inside her house, Lamb got rid of the hammer and knife, then peeled off her blood-soaked clothes and threw them in the garbage.

Her ex-husband brought her three young daughters back to her that night. Lamb didn't tell him or anyone else what she had done. 

The accused returned to her normal life. She said she "just took each moment as it came," continued to care for her daughters, cleaned the blood stains in her car and went to her mother's funeral.

Lamb had Christmas at a friend's house. On Boxing Day, the police knocked on her door to arrest her. 

She said she wasn't surprised. 

"By that time, I knew that I had killed her," she testified. 

The Crown suggested Lamb hated her mother. That she wanted her dead and out of her life. That the attack was motivated by anger. 

Lamb denied those suggestions. 

"I can live with myself just fine," she said. "My children are alive, safe and sound". 

Lamb is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic.

The jury has been told the defence may argue she should be found not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder.

janice.johnston@cbc.ca   

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2016, 01:52:51 PM »
There are two sides to most stories, Kirsten and her sister had theirs'.  Very, very sad.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kirsten-lamb-jury-told-mom-used-drugs-abandoned-her-girls-1.3445061

Kirsten Lamb jury told mom used drugs, abandoned her girls
Jill Felzien told a jury Thursday she and her sister were physically abused by their mother
By Janice Johnston, CBC News Posted: Feb 11, 2016 6:34 PM MT Last Updated: Feb 11, 2016 7:38 PM MT

One sister sat weeping in the prisoner's box, while the other testified about their troubled childhood, growing up with a mother who had a "really, really, really mean temper."

Jill Felzien told a jury Thursday that both sisters were physically abused by their mother. That she often saw her mom smoking pot, and was told she also used methamphetamine and crack cocaine.

Felzien's mother, Sandra Lamb, was found murdered in the basement of her Capilano home in November 2010.

Older sister Kirsten Lamb is now on trial for second-degree murder.

On the witness stand, Felzien said her mother abandoned her daughters: Felzien was six weeks old at the time; her sister was four.

She said Sandra Lamb "had never been much of a mother."

For a time after they were abandoned, the two sisters remained close, but had little contact with their mother.

At one point, Kirsten Lamb told her sister she thought their mother "would die lonely and old."

"My mom moved around a lot," said Felzien, now 28.

When she was 14, Felzien moved in with her mother and sister. She said the arrangement only lasted four or five months, before her mother "kicked her out."

Felzien told the jury her mother sometimes locked her in the basement, "because she would have her friends over and she said they would want their privacy." She said the smell of drugs wafted into the basement on those occasions. 

When she was told to leave at age 14, Felzien returned with police to retrieve her belongings. She testified her mother was behaving erratically, "yelling and screaming on the front lawn."

That was the last time Felzien spoke to her mother.

Neighbour testifies

Four years passed.

Kirsten Lamb had just given birth to her second child, and her younger sister began to worry about her. Felzien said she thought her sister might be suffering from postpartum depression.

"She seemed that she wasn't taking care of herself and the girls the way that she was before," Felzien said.

Two years later, Kirsten Lamb had another daughter, and her marriage crumbled. 

Around that time, Kirsten Lamb's oldest daughter, who was 4 at the time, told Felzien: "Mommy is sick; mommy needs to go to the doctor; she always lays down and has to get the monsters out of her head."

Felzien said she was also concerned about another niece, who had a strip of hair the width of a disposable razor shaved from the back of her head. Kirsten Lamb had given her a "haircut."

At that point, the two sisters stopped talking to each other. Felzien said she had no idea what sort of relationship her older sister had with their mother. 

Mike Synowec also testified on Thursday.

In November 2010, he lived across the street from Sandra Lamb. He said he occasionally took Lamb's dog out for walks, when his neighbour put in long hours as a pipefitter. He had a key to her house.

On November 29, 2010, Synowec heard barking inside Lamb's home. He told the jury he thought it was strange, because her car had been parked in front of the house for two days, and her dog "wasn't the type" to bark inside.

"It had to be something was not right," he testified. "It really bothered me what could be wrong." Synowec said he decided to investigate. He went to Lamb's house and was about to open the back screen door when something caught his attention. At first he thought it was a piece of fabric, then realized it was a clump of hair.

"A small piece of hair," he said. "A little wad. Got a couple of red spots on it."

Then, with dawning horror, he spotted more blood.

"Lots of blood on the door. Some of it is smeared. There's blood on the floor. On the step. On the deck. The screen door was just splattered. I just panicked."

Synowec went next door to call 911 and waited for police.

He never went inside Lamb's house. He never saw the horrific scene in the basement laundry room, where Lamb lay dead on the floor.

The jury has been told the 49 year old's head was severely beaten, and her neck had been slashed almost to the point of decapitation. 

Kirsten Lamb is a diagnosed schizophrenic.

The jury has been told Lamb's lawyer may argue during the course of the trial that his client was not criminally responsible.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2016, 01:57:54 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kirsten-lamb-case-ends-in-mistrial-after-jurors-fail-to-reach-verdict-1.3477266

Kirsten Lamb case ends in mistrial after jurors fail to reach verdict
Juror breaks down, crying uncontrollably while two other jurors appeared upset

CBC News Posted: Mar 04, 2016 5:29 PM MT Last Updated: Mar 04, 2016 5:38 PM MT

The murder trial of a woman accused of beating her mother with a hammer before slashing her throat has ended in a mistrial.

After two days of deliberations in the Kirsten Lamb trial, jurors returned to the courtroom Friday afternoon telling Justice Paul Belzil they were hopelessly deadlocked and could not reach a verdict.

When the Belzil asked them to go back and try again, one juror broke down and began sobbing uncontrollably. Two other jurors also appeared upset.

Within minutes the jurors sent word back that they were not going to be able to reach an unanimous decision.

Belzil told the Crown and defence lawyers the jurors' stress levels were of grave concern to him and that it was his job to protect the jurors as well as the accused.

The lawyers pushed for a cooling-off period to let the situation settle down after the five-week trial.

But when the jurors rejected the offer, Belzil declared a mistrial.

"I'm going to declare a mistrial and discharge you and thank you for your patience," he said.

Lamb, 32, showed no emotion during the proceedings.

Lamb is charged in the November 2010 death of her 49-year-old mother Sandra Lamb who was found severely beaten and her neck slashed almost to the point of decapitation. 

During the trial the jury heard Kirsten Lamb, a diagnosed schizophrenic, and her sister were physically abused by their mother, who often smoked pot and used crystal meth and crack cocaine.

The murder trial began on Feb. 9 with the jury of six men and five women beginning deliberations Wednesday morning.

Lamb was sent back to Alberta Hospital Friday. A date will be set for the retrial next month.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
This is all very confusing to me.  Lamb is mentally ill.  Spent most of her time in Alberta Hospital. I believe she suffered from Schizophrenia.

Yet, she is to serve time in jail. 

In the matter of Mr. Lee - the Greyhound bus murderer - he is out of the mental institution, has served all of his time receiving medical treatment, and is on parole.

Why the difference in treatment between the two of them?

They both have severe mental illness.  Is it because Lee "heard the voices" - and perhaps Lamb did not?
Was it determined that Ms. Lamb knew right from wrong at the time of murdering her mother, and Lee was so delusional that he did not?

jb
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:53:08 PM by jellybean »