Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: 1950 - 1969 Unsolved Murders and Missing - Canada  (Read 72410 times)

Fraser

• View Profile
Re: 1950 - 1969 Unsolved Murders and Missing - Canada
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »
Have Faith - that's interesting...Do you have any idea if the Historical Homicide group is open to new observations?

Thank you

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
The OPP state that all unsolved cases remain "open" and they welcome any new tips, observations etc.  The RCMP would state the same thing, and they actually have the manpower and funding to investigate.  Whether they will act on any new info is hard to tell, but they always say that they look into all new leads. 

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
Thank you - I tried to track down some point of contact for the Unsolved homicides in BC. I found some articles but no contact info. I don't think it would be appropriate to contact a Tips line because I don't have new info just an observation.
I am really busy the next couple of days but if I have time, I'll try to dig around more and find a contact.

TheBgcheez

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »
Kim Cuff was my mother and I clearly remember the day I was told she was dead. Her full name was - Margarite Ann Cuff and she was murdered at 1915 Haro Street in her apartment, she was 32 years old. She was married to **** but he did not sign the death certificate, his step father did. I printed off her death certificate this morning from the public records division online. I spoke with VPD Sgt. yesterday via phone and he is pulling her records to re-investigate this case per my request. I think my mothers day is tragic not only because of the way she was murdered but by the way it was so easily swept under the carpet, largely because of her life style. I know this was 38 years ago but any information about her close friends etc. during that time would be appreciated. You can contact me directly and I'll give you my telephone number etc.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:36:42 PM by debbiec »

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
Thank you for posting on this board. I cannot imagine how hard losing your mum and having no resolution after all this time. I really hope that they are able to find out more and solve her case. No one, no matter what their lifestyle should be "brushed under the carpet"...they lived, were loved and are missed and any of those  three things should make their tragedy worth investigating.
I wish I could help but the only info I could find was what was listed in my first post on this.
There are a lot of really good people on this forum, hopefully someone will be able to help. It does sound like the police Sgt is going to try to help and that is really good to hear.
Take care and best wishes in all this.

TheBgcheez

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2013, 10:06:13 PM »
Thank you for posting on this board. I cannot imagine how hard losing your mum and having no resolution after all this time. I really hope that they are able to find out more and solve her case. No one, no matter what their lifestyle should be "brushed under the carpet"...they lived, were loved and are missed and any of those  three things should make their tragedy worth investigating.
I wish I could help but the only info I could find was what was listed in my first post on this.
There are a lot of really good people on this forum, hopefully someone will be able to help. It does sound like the police Sgt is going to try to help and that is really good to hear.
Take care and best wishes in all this.

Thank you! I know so much more today than I did yesterday and I think this new Sgt. Will be able to help this time. I offered a couple ideas that hadn't been considered previously. He also assured me that this wouldn't be swept under the carpet, and I believe him. I will post updates if and when they happen.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2013, 06:06:16 AM »
I wish you luck TheBgcheez.   I am glad you found a Sgt. that will look into your Mom's death.  I hope you and the Cop can work together for answers....and Justice.
Your Mom would be proud to know that after all this time, you are searching for the truth....you deserve it, and I hope it comes.

evelazarus

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »
I'm writing a book on historical unsolved murders to be published next year. Two that really haunt me are the murders of Nancy Joan Johnsen, 7 of Surrey in 1967 and Evangeline Azarcon, 7 of Vancouver in 1969. The bodies were found in Surrey. There was a third murder, Tanya Busch, 7, in 1972 who lived in Vancouver, was abducted in Vancouver and her body was dumped in Surrey also. Tanya's murder was solved and I believe there's a strong possibility of a connection between all three. I would very much like to talk to the people here that knew these girls, or at least had contact with them. Please contact me at evelazarus@shaw.ca 

TheBgcheez

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »
If you ever do want to know anything else please feel free to email me directly and I'll fill in the blanks for you.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2016, 06:36:32 PM »
Here is one that has been identified from Des's list in this thread./jb

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2009/03/09/police_identify_victim_in_1967_cold_case.html

Police identify victim in 1967 cold case
Ontario Provincial Police have finally been able to identify a homicide victim whose remains were found in eastern Ontario more than 40 years ago.

By ROBYN DOOLITTLEStaff Reporter
Mon., March 9, 2009
Ontario Provincial Police have finally been able to identify a homicide victim whose remains were found in eastern Ontario more than 40 years ago.

Eric Jones, 18, was last seen by family members in April 1967. A hunter discovered what turned out to be his skeletal remains in December of that year in a wooded area near Coboconk.

Last month, the television program W5 aired a special on two unsolved murders from 1967. The two victims, both young men with slight builds from the Toronto area, were found in secluded rural areas without clothing and appeared to have been bound by the hands.

One of the victims was identified in 2006 as Richard Hovey, 17, but the identity of the other man remained unknown until detectives showed a facial reconstruction on the W5 episode.

One of Jones' sisters saw the broadcast and called police. Using DNA analysis, police were then able to positively identify the victim as Jones.

"It's really remarkable to have this happen after so many years," OPP Deputy Commissioner Vince Hawkes said this morning. "Now we're asking anyone who might have known (Jones) to contact us."

Investigators hope to learn who Jones friends were at the time, if he had any enemies, or if he was involved in any type of illegal activity.

Oscar Jones said today that the last time he saw his younger brother Eric, they were at a family wedding.

It was April 1967, and the normally joyous occasion of siblings celebrating their sister's nuptials had its rocky moments.

"I was giving him heck because he was quitting school and going away. He wasn't happy with me," Jones said Monday from his home in St. Charles, Ont., just east of Sudbury.

The wedding was the last time the pair would see one another.

Oscar Jones said his siblings held out hope for years that Eric, who had moved to Toronto from the family's hometown of Noelville, had disappeared to start a new life without telling anyone.

"But then you kind of feel after he got a bit older and grew up, he'd get back to his family," said Jones, 66.

"Now that we find out... he was murdered, it's very hard to take."

The new lead in Jones' case could help shed some light on two other cold cases in Ontario.

Jones' murder might be linked to Hovey's murder and that of a third Ontario cold case.

In July 1980, the skeletal remains of another young man were found in a wooded area near Markham, Ont. He was found unclothed.

Police believe the man was killed approximately one to two years before his body was found.

Investigators believe the three cases could be connected, said Sgt. Pierre Chamberland of the Ontario Provincial Police.

"It's suspicious as a sex-related crime," he said.

Right now, the only known connections between the killings are similarities in the crime scenes.

Hovey's remains were found along a hedgerow in a farmer's field near Schomberg in May 1968. He was last seen getting into a car on Yorkville Ave. in June 1967.

The three cases could also be linked to a murder and abduction in the summer of 1967 for which a man in his 70s is serving time in a British Columbia prison.

The breakthrough in Jones' case is tinged with sadness as the family is "dealing with a loss 42 years later as though it had just happened to them today," OPP Det.-Insp. Dave Quigley said during a news conference in Orillia, Ont.

"Our sincere condolences go out to them. Our thoughts are with them."

- With files from The Canadian Press
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:02:59 PM by jellybean »