Author Topic: 1950 - 1969 Unsolved Murders and Missing - Canada  (Read 90349 times)

barbclark

• View Profile
Re: 1950 - 1969 Unsolved Murders and Missing - Canada
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2013, 06:17:20 PM »
finally..i found something on Evangeline...wow...Evangeline..i have never forgotten you..i remember the day after she went missing..we stood on the same corner to cross the street to go home.20th and ash street, at the end of the school day...Edith Cavell Elementary.going to school in the morning, i remember her dad standing at the corner with her picture, asking all of us if we had seen her. i remember being really confused. not understanding.I do remember that it really scared me, as i had been told, i believe by the school, that someone had stopped their car at the cross walk and told her that her dad had sent him to pick her up, and she got in...i was 7 at the time, and this was all very new, due to age etc. and really at that time, it wasnt that common.I do know as well, that it stuck in my head eternally that, if he had told me that, i would have gotten in the car as well.  that is so scary. There wasnt too much talk about it, as i recall. at the time, i dont think they talked to kids much about such things...As well, what i do remember, was that on more than one occasion, we were told by the school or our teacher, that if we saw a man outside of the school wearing a long coat, to run the other direction...(flasher)  My younger sister  and myself, who lived with my mom who was single, often had no sitter, so we were on our own abit. me being older of course i watched over her and i was very responsible, and even more so since this had occured. we both did alot of bike riding around there, the school douglas park heather park etc.  It happened on more than one occasion that we were followed by a man in a car..he drove right beside us very slow..i dont believe he spoke, but he drove right beside us at the same pace...Brenda was ahead of me..i yelled at her go...go go....and i hoped like heck she knew i meant it..im not sure she knew what was going on...i caught up to her and told her to follow me...we eventually ducked down and ally, i turned my back fast beside a fence, and a garage..and it told her to get down....i cant believe i did that, and knew back then..i knew we were in trouble...i watched as the car went back and forth up the ally and when i thought it was safe, we came out.  i even knew back then to get the liscense plate number..and it was a darker little sports car. i remember that number for years and years...I have tried over the years, espeically wih the internet now, to find anything about her...she has never left my mind.ever. i cant let her go, i want her killer to be found. She was found out, in surrey, as i recall. she had been buried..i remember being told it was a garbage dump...strangled and raped, and with her i remember being told they had found her lunch box as well...and i remember that too. it was one of those tin, picnic type boxes...and it was red plaid. they were pretty common then.i feel such a relief finding this...and i so wish this could be solved.  There was an article in the province in the 90s regarding her and the unsolved case...Her family apparently returned to California later.yes. relief. extreme release... i have been waiting to find out about her, see her name again....love you evangelinexoxox

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2013, 08:30:16 PM »
barb; I hope you have shared that story with police who were investigating her disappearance.  If you haven't already, I hope you do now.  That sports car might be relevant.  And don't be shy to tell them you already shared your story on this site.  That could make a difference in their acting on your information or not.  I know I would do that.  Good luck; and I'm glad you were such a good sister, although that trip in the alley could have turned into the culprit's favor.  It is best to stay in full view... and preferably to go into a store or a known family home.

barbclark

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2013, 11:43:53 PM »
well yes, i realize that now...but at the time, i had not learned any of the safety rules in regards to such things, i was probably about 8 at the time...and just reacting quickly as i could in terror..I remember that my mom spoke with a police..who told her at the time, that the area , the cambie street area, was a area where there was alot of sex crimes at the time.i live in squamish now..since the 80s. my ex brother in law, told me the story of Judy howie, he went to school with her,and i always wondered if they were connected...maybe....one never knows...i have been trying throughout the years to find anything on i could on Evangeline....this is the first time i ever have, and i have looked...she has never gone far from my thoughts...im not sure how much help that would be at this point..although i would gladly speak with someone...do u have any idea of whom one would speak with....who knows, maybe this is why she never left my mind....

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2013, 02:41:38 AM »
barb; if you would just clear for us Evangeline who?  .... there are others... so just tell us where she was from, and when she disappeared... we will help you fill in all the rest.   :)...

barbclark

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 09:17:39 AM »
after posting my recollection of the unsolved murder of Evangeline Azarcon.. in 1969  .today, it was pointed out perhaps maybe the police would appreciate any info i had regarding this and other incidents at that time occuring around the Edith Cavell Elementary School in the late 60s.such as being tailed by a man in car a couple of times and having to escape and the fact that there were exhibitionists around the school at the time...Before anyone suggests i held back info for  my own reasons....in 1969 i was 7, when evangeline disappeared, and the incidents that ocurred after...i was afraid i was going to get into trouble..for whatever reason i dont know.
anyways, ive spent time searching as to where exactly the info should be sent...i decided that perhaps, it would be best to just for that information on here..i want to make sure it goes to the right place, rather than rely on it being forwarded to the correct place..i find it amazing that Evangeline Azacar, does not show up at all in the unsolved murders list, as well as nancy, the little girl from surrey....i just dont get it....thanks

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
Hi Barb - don't worry about people questioning whether you came forward before or not...you were only 7 or 8 years old. Having that traumatic happen to you and your friend at such a young age would be terrifying and, being concerned about getting in trouble is completely understandable too.
I am just really glad you have found some info on your friend, Evangeline. I actually haven't posted on this site in a few years - I found Evangeline's and Nancy's cases heartbreakingly similar because of their age and location. Understanding now that Evangeline was actually taken from Vancouver and left near where Nancy was makes me think the killer may have actually been from Nancy's area.
I had noted some other cases that I thought were connected to each other but the young ladies were older and all were within 18 km of a place called Furry Creek...still makes me wonder about those cases.

barbclark

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
thank you so much. ive been up all night, purging...she never left my mind. ever. all of it. i remember so clearly her dad standing at the corner in a panic, looking for her, picture in hand..we stood at the same corner everyday, even the day she disappeared, we would have been on the same corner...yes, i live in squamish,...there was a girl who was 12 who was murdered here in 72. her name was judy howie. her family is still here in town.  my ex brother in law went to school with her.  that is unsolved as well..furry creek is about 10 minutes south of here. as well i had an encounter with clifford robert olsen in pemberton one day. he was following me as i walked down the road. i approached the vehicle to get in as at that time, people often gave others ride, even if u didnt know them, u recognized them. as i approached the door handle to open it, he was in the vehicle, he was masturbating as he drove beside me. i screamed yelled and swore at him..i was so angry and yes very scared...there were big huge ditches on either side of the road, and my reasoning was i could get stuck in them trying to get out. i was 18 at the time. i ran to the other side of the road where i found a big stick which i grabbed and swung at him as he continued to drive beside me. i was so lucky as a vehicle came by at that time, and he took off. it wasnt until years later, watching the news one night, and they were showing pictures of his vehicle he was driving back then winter 81....and a pic of what he looked like that i realized that i had escaped terror.....i never said anything at that time either...#@$#@# because i was 18 and i didnt want to have to tell the rcmp that he was masturbating.  it was known that at that time, he was coming over the duffy lake road, most likely with a body in the back of his jimmy. these things just dont leave you..they are always there....

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 10:52:17 AM »
Hi barbclark,

I'm sorry that you had such a traumatic childhood experience in losing a school mate to a horrific murder.  I know it is something that you will never forget, and I am happy to know that Unsolved Canada provided you with some long sought information on Evangeline Azarcon. 

Thanks to Fraser for providing info on Evangeline (reply#17) and on Nancy Johnson (reply#16 and 20). 

I've listed the RCMP phone numbers below that you can call as a start.  Other UC members in BC might have more advice for you.  Fortunately, the BC RCMP seem to have the staff and funding for historical unsolved homicides. 

RCMP Surrey Main Detachment
604-599-0502

RCMP Port Kells District Office
604-502-6266

Have Faith

barbclark

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »
wow.thank you so much all for your kindness..... i will definately give them a call...i need to settle down a bit..i am so incredibly glad i finally found some information regarding Evangeline.  Over the years as i searched, i found it really hard to believe that the fact that her murder, was, it seemed to be forgotten.. she has been on my mind so much the past little while. i sat up last night, and kept trying and trying. it was such a relief to finally find her....she isnt forgotten...you have no idea, and i had no idea, how much effect it really has had on me, given me incredible sense of relief i am feeling right now. maybe Evangeline, has been following me around all these years. it sure has felt like it....and lately even more so....i hear her name in my mind......maybe its time....thanks to everyone.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
For Have Faith - do you think the RCMP you listed would have noticed the connection of all those Furry Creek cases? I looked a bit at some Highway of Tears info and noticed that that Hwy, going under different names eventually ends in the Squamish Furry Creek area. And, I've always wondering if the four young ladies I noticed that were killed in that area were of native heritage as they seem to have been targets for many of the crimes.

For Barb - Not sure if you saw the info that I had put in my notes that her family seemed to have moved to California. I feel so bad for them. I really hope they have closure one day.

barbclark

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2013, 12:58:49 PM »
yes i remember that they moved to california. that was the last i heard. there was an article in the province in the early 90s and it did talk about evangeline, and some other unsolved murders. ive been unable to locate that, but know very littlle about accessing that information. that is wherei learned the family moved.but other than that, everything i have read, which is very little, i already knew..i just remember circumstances and what was said at the time, quite clearly. no ther information at all...the girl that went missing here in 72 judy howie, she was not of native decent. her body, i was told was found in a field, just behind the mamquam elementary school. at that time highway 99 did not exist there, the old road parralled it, to the west on the other side of the school. this is what i have heard locally and more specifically, my ex brother in law who went to school with her. it too is unsolved, and i really did think, and always have that they could very likely be related. thanks so much, it makes me feel so much better knowing that someone really does care about her..i just felt she was so lost...somebody had to remember, and or care...and i feel freer that way...and i will mention all those thoughts...the thing is, one assumes that if i thought that, wouldnt they have thought about it too.......barb

barbclark

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »
as well, i think ive already mentioned, that at the time, my mom was told by a police officer, that the area cambie...had the highest crime rate in the city. as well, there were exhibitionists hanging out by the school. that was all at that time, and it was on more than one occasion. one would think that they had information regarding the identity of such people in the area at that time. but then again, i do remember when we were told, it was a very sort of casual thing. i dont remember really feeling fear at the thought.  it certainly wasnt something that at school was drilled into us,. we werent told to go to adults or anything, to just go the other way, not approach him. But danger, real danger wasnt something that was put across...but who were the indivuals hanging around there at that time...

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »
barb; you are doing real good at remembering things and putting things together.  Good for you.  I realize where Evangeline is from now.  I must have missed that in your first post.  I find once you start getting it all off your chest, it clears your head enough so that you can remember more and/or at least sort out why those awful memories weigh so heavy. 

Clearly you are a kindhearted person.  Clearly you are also the type that doesn't forget how quickly we can lose a loved one, but how it often takes a lifetime to accept.... and that fact is modified ten times over when you know justice has not been served.... nobody paid for what was done to those you knew and/or loved.  Even worse, after all those years you can't help but feel that you are the only one who cares.  Rest assured you are not.  All of us here care very much; that is why were here.  And luckily you are here now too, and I think that is a plus for us.

If you do a search in the search area at the right hand top of the main page here, and just put in your friends names and others you know of who have gone missing or were murdered, you will find out if they are listed here.  If they are not, you can start a thread for any one of them yourself.  We are all here to help.  ...again, it is good to have you with us.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »
Hi Barb - when I mentioned the girls of native descent I was talking about the 4 in their late teens/twenties who were killed in the Furry Creek area. Your memory for detail is really good and helps me understand the area a lot better. Thank you

barbclark

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
hi fraser...can u give me their names.....yes furry creek is where the golf course is...runs up the side of the mountain along highway 99....just up and over the hill past britannia beach if you are heading south