Author Topic: 1950 - 1969 Unsolved Murders and Missing - Canada  (Read 89939 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: 1950 - 1969 Unsolved Murders and Missing - Canada
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »
Those are very similar. Interesting that these cases are not solved, yet there is no effort by the police to get the word out to solve them. I wonder why that is?

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »
That is what I have wondered. These cases just seem to have been forgotten/gone by the wayside. It took a bit to find anything on them...I got the first articel on Nancy Johnsen from ancestry.ca and the other two only because someone at the Surrey Archives was very helpful and did the research.
If they are made into threads can they be cross-referred to each other?

kristimaree

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 10:34:50 AM »
Hi!  I have a great big spreadsheet where I've been assembling information regarding missing and murdered women across Canada.  After pouring through Des's post last night,  I found a TINY bit of information about Judy Maria Dick (murdered 1/19/75 in Richmond BC).  According to my list,  an Ontario man was charged with her murder 27 years after her death.  This is all I have.  No name of the murderer,  no information about his sentence.  I hope this helps!

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »
Hi - I was able to find her registration of death. It lists her name as Judy Mariea Dick...slight variation on the middle name spelling. She was 14 when she was murdered.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 12:21:27 PM »
More info from the "Review" November 2002
I found a couple of other links that I will check out....

Convicted rapist refused treatment
Martin van den Hemel, Staff Reporter

The Richmond RCMP are actively sharing information with other police agencies about a Kitchener man who was arrested this week in connection with a 1975 double murder in Richmond.

RCMP Cpl. Peter Thiessen said that Robert Burleigh Bonisteel, 54, is being looked at regarding other unsolved murder cases. Police are sharing what they know with other agencies, including details of Bonisteel's movements over the years. He was released from Saskatchewan Penitentiary in July 1995 and has spent the last five years in the Kitchener, Ont. area.

Bonisteel has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the stabbing deaths of Vancouver's Elisabeth Zeschner and Judy Mariea Dick, both 14.

Their bodies were found on Feb. 6, 1975 under a blanket of snow near the base of a hydro tower on the 21000 block of Westminster Highway in east Richmond.

Although Bonisteel spent 20 years in jail for two rapes he confessed to in Saskatchewan and Man-itoba in 1975, he never received treatment for his sexual deviancy, according to the Toronto Sun.

National Parole Board documents show that Bonisteel was ordered kept in prison for his full sentence after a parole board panel ruled he was "likely to kill or cause serious harm to someone if released," the Toronto Sun reported.

"He refuses to meet with (prison) case management, and has not participated in any treatment or programming that addresses his sexual deviancy or other criminogenic factors," the parole board stated.

"Given the above, the board concludes that Bonisteel is likely to commit an offence causing death or serious harm to another person prior to (the end of his sentence)."

Placing Bonisteel in a halfway house was not an option, the board said, because the risk was too high.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »
Apparently Bonisteel appealed his conviction and lost. On the web page where I found this info, I also found an article by the host of the web page that claims Bonisteel didn' know the details of the crime...Kind of scary if it is true

http://cancrime.com/2009/02/mr-big-still-inflicts-sharp-sting.html

kristimaree

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »
Wow,  Fraser!  What an awesome job!  Your research actually found the man charged with the murder of TWO little girls.  These are two solved cases.  Wonderful!  Thank you!

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 08:14:45 PM »
Thanks, but I wouldn't have even heard of these cases if you hadn't posted your note.
Good for you!

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »
I saw on court TV they did a show on crime files or something about that bust. The man who found one or both bodies was the suspect for years. Glad this is solved and I hope like that are coming

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 06:38:39 PM »
Okay - I've been doing a little more digging and here is a bit more on the next group. I will keep trying to see what I can find while starting on some others. It does not look like any of these were solved.

1. Lillian Johanna Olafson 19 Jul 1970 Vancouver, couldn't find anything on the incident or its resolution. However, I did find that her death was registered as 19 July 1970 and she was 42 at the time

2. Catherine Barabara Laraway Vancouver, again, nothing except her registration of death, 23 Jun 1971, she was only 16.

3. Louise Wise, "Theresa Louise Wise", Vancouver - nothing except her registration of death, 13 Jul 1971, only 17 years old...I want to to try find out more about these last two girls, they were gone only 3 weeks apart from each other and close in age...makes me wonder

UPDATE on Mary Ann Plett and Louise Stoll
The Alberta archives got back to me very quickly and this is the info they provided.Please note I couldn't access the additional articles they list:

answered by the Edmonton PublicLibrary in Edmonton, Alberta. We found several articles that may help with your searchfor information about these women.

"Mary Ann Plett was an Edmonton real estate saleswomanwho went missing in the Looma area 30 k southeast ofEdmonton on Sept 15, 1971 after meeting with a prospectiveclient named "James Cooper." Police were apparently neverable to locate such a person. The most recent article that we found is from 1989, and at that time the case was stillopen and unsolved. We found this information in the following article: Acreage sale led agent to her death; Trip with clientturned; [Final Edition]GREG OWENS. Edmonton Journal. Edmonton, Alta.: Jun 24,1989. pg. B.2 "

5. "Louise Stoll was found murdered in Edmonton on Sept. 21,1971, apparently strangled and beaten to death.The perpetrator was located 18 years later when hisfingerprint obtained in another case was found to match afingerprint on a key piece of evidence in the Stoll case.The man, Garnet Joseph Berard, plead guilty to manslaughterand was sentenced to three years in jail on June 8, 1990.
We found this information in the following article: Long-forgotten killer finally tripped up by fingerprintcheck; [FINAL Edition]Stories by DAVID STAPLES, GREG OWENS, Journal StaffWriters. Edmonton Journal. Edmonton, Alta.: Dec 16, 1995.pg. H.24. "

- Solved  

I
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:27:47 PM by Fraser »

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
Edith Mae Smallpiece - Chris had previously posted  way more info than  I could find in this link:

http://winnipeg.ca/police/Unsolved_Cases/Homicides/1973_smallpiece.stm

Miss Smallpiece has her own thread in this forum

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 07:51:49 PM »
More info:

1. Betty Shepherd 3 Mar 1972 Vancouver - death not registered and I couldn't find any info

2. Christa Pederson age 54 - her death was registered as 13 Oct 1972, no other info

3. Helen Hopcraft, age 17, Squamish BC, - the date in Desespre's database is 12 April 1973. I found Helen's obituary and death registration:
Death Registration - 13 May 1973, Furry Creek, BC
Obituary - Winnipeg Free Press, 7 June 1973, indicated she was from Vancouver, BC - she was buried in P.A. Memorial Gardens

4. Mary Bowen, Vancouver, BC - could only find her death registration, age 28, 4 June 1973

I'll let you know if I find more.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 06:12:31 AM »
You are very welcome Desespere. Don't worry about trying to track it all/read it all...as you said "there are just so many aren't there?".
It is overwhelming but at least this is something I can try to chip away at. I think that the date difference is probably the time between when she disappeared and was found. There is also a big lag between when she was found and buried, probably something to do with investigation etc.
Does is look like the original writer might do an update?
Thanks for all your work...wish I could find more info.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 05:39:18 PM »
Not sure if the forum lets people know about amendments to posts or not...so, just in case, I'll let you know that I added more info on Mary Ann Plett and Louise Stoll to my post above. Louise's murder was solved.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 05:51:59 PM »
Next group - not much I'm afraid...I'll keep at it.

1. Albina Lequica, 86, North Vancouver, 16 Dec 1973 - couldn't find anything, not even registration of death

2. Kim Cuff, Oct 17, 1974 - Found Margarite Ann Cuff - death registered as 16 Oct 1974, age 31 I suspect that this is the same young lady and that maybe "Kim" was a nickname. Couldn't find anything else yet.

3. Barbara Ann Laroque, age 21, Langley BC,  10 Dec 1974 - her death is registered as 13 Dec 1974 - perhaps she went missing on the 10th and was found on the 13th...nothing more

4. Judy Dick and Elizabeth Zeschner - these were in an earlier post. Solved, Bonisteel convicted of both