Author Topic: 1950 - 1969 Unsolved Murders and Missing - Canada  (Read 87740 times)

Desespere

1950 - 1969 Unsolved Murders and Missing - Canada
« on: June 07, 2007, 09:53:40 PM »
I have only a few in this time frame so thought I would include them together. They also have location and some other elements in common to look at the possibility of a serial killer or two during that time frame as well throughout Ontario. If the killers of the women, young men and children during this time frame are still alive he or they would be relatively old to old in age now - 55-75 - perhaps a little older.

I will continue to update this first post as it's easier to put it together... so look for updates in this post as well as recent replies. Please keep in mind the information I include here is available on the internet and primary sources are judicial and law enforcement web sites. I include all this information because details help people see patterns and I believe and have heard others in these forums talk of how the lack of details available to the public hinders progress to finding people or thier killers if that is the outcome. These details also show the various modes in which these killers operate and some of these details echo throughout the decades. Whether related or not, the repetitive nature of these crimes throughout the past fifty years is evident in the details. I don't know what that repetition means, but it is there, in the details. My heart is with these people and their families and I mean no disrespect for anyone. If anyone has any difficulty with the details presented in this public area, please let me know and I will move all research to the members area. Thank you.

UPDATE - After doing some reading I have edited and added to this list. Additions are in red. - Updated Jan 13/08

Judy Carter - February 27, 1955 - Age 8 - Murdered - Toronto, ON - Judy was last seen alive going home from school. There was a massive search for Judy but she wasn't found until April 9, 1955, when the weather warmed and the snow melted. She was found face down in the mud on the banks of the Rouge River but it is thought her body had been thrown off a bridge and had been transported in the swelling waters and was left there when the waters receeded. Her shoes were found weeks earlier placed neatly side by side on a different bridge down the road. A farmer found them there but did not report them until Judy's body was found. Judy had been strangled but there was an apparent sign of sexual assault attempt.

Susan Cadieux - January 6, 1956 - Age 5 - Murdered - London, ON - Susan was playing with friends on a Friday evening in London, ON when a man who appeared to be going to visit St. Mary?s church at about 8:10p.m. stopped to talk to her. After a few moments Susan and the man were gone but they were not seen leaving together. Her brothers provided a detailed description and a composite sketch was made. After a huge search involving thousands of Londoners, her body was found the next morning in a construction supply yard at about 10:15am. This is near the CP Rail tracks near William Street. She had been sexually assaulted and died from hypothermia/exposure to the -25 degree temperatures after being left alone after the assault.

Lois McLaughlin - July 9, 1957 - Age 22 - Murdered - Chesterville, ON - Lois' husband came home with the children after a day away from this remote farm and found his wife on the ground in front of their home. She had been brutally murdered with items found in a shed on the farm, a scythe, a hammer etc. This farm is so remote that the police figure the killer got in on foot because there is only one road leading in and out and no one saw a vehicle coming up the road all day. Chesterville is about 20km east of Cornwall. There is possibly a Naval history in Cornwall during this year but it is known that the Coast Guard had a radar training facility there until it was moved to Cornwallis, NS - across the water.

A poster named Mike Kragg said there may have been a murder in 1957 in Dartmouth, NS but I have not been able to find anything in the unsolved category.

Patricia Lupton - March 9, 1959 - Age 12 - Murdered - Toronto, ON - Patricia and three friends posted a babysitting ad at a supermarket. The killer called Patricia to meet her somewhere on the pretense of babysitting and within 1-1/2 hours her body was found in a snow bank. She had been strangled with her own scarf. An assault was attempted.

Lynne Harper - June 9, 1959 - Age 12 - Murdered - Clinton, ON - Lynne was abducted from the road and sexually assaulted in a wooded grove. She had been strangled with her own blouse. Steven Truscotte was recently acquitted of this murder so her murder is now unsolved. Alexander Kalichuk was an air-force member in Aylmer, ON at the time of Lynne's murder but he worked with Lynne's father in Clinton in the few years prior to her murder and often visited Clinton from Aylmer (which is southeast of London, ON). It is unknown if Kalichuk, who died in 1975, was ever suspected in her murder.

Alexandra Wiwcharuk - May 18, 1962 - Age 23 - Murdered - Saskatoon, SK - Alexandra was a nurse out walking along the river at about 9:00pm on this Friday of a long weekend. Her body was recovered two weeks later six blocks from her home in a shallow grave under a CP Rail bridge. She had been beaten with a rock and buried alive.

Julian Wolanski - August 12, 1962 - Age 16 - Murdered - Toronto, ON - Julian met a man posing as a teacher at the Yonge-Eglinton subway station about the end of July in 1962. Her partially nude body was found in a ditch at Albion and Finch and she had been beaten, assaulted, torchured and shot.

Frances Mary Phillips - July 31, 1963 - Age 76 - Murdered - Toronto, ON - Frances was a nurse on her way to work when someone robbed her and brutally beat her to death. Frances was found in an Albert St lane behind Toronto City Hall.

Dianne Carrier - September 27, 1963 - Age 6 - Missing - Quebec City, QC - Dianne was last seen on du Porche Street going to the park to get brother.

Margaret Sheeler ? December 1963 - Age 20 - Murdered - London, ON - Margaret left her London home in December 1963. Her partially clothed body was found nearly a month later in a field beside Kipps Lane. Killed by head injuries, she showed signs of being sexually assaulted.

Marie Norma Mike - February 22, 1964 - Age 22 - Missing - Rosthern, SK - Marie was last seen on Beardy's/Okemasis First Nation reserve. This is an hour North of Saskatoon.

Victoria Mayo ? August 6, 1964 - Age 32 ? Murdered - London, ON - Victoria was found dead of multiple stab wounds on in her basement apartment on London?s Sydenham Street. Entry to the apartment had been forced. Police exhumed the body of a man who died in 1996 and matched his DNA. This case is deemed SOLVED.

Geraldine Pickford -  September 19, 1965 ? Age 41 ? Murdered - Aurora, ON - Geraldine?s body was found in the Tannery Creek, which runs through the grounds of St. Andrews College, Town of Aurora. Geraldine Pickford, 41 years of age at the time of her death was employed in the Kitchen and Dining Room areas of the College, and had been employed at St. Andrews College since April of 1965. Investigation revealed that Geraldine Pickford was last seen alive on Saturday September 18, 1965 at approximately 9:15 pm, when she left the women's quarters of St. Andrews College. An autopsy determined that Geraldine Pickford died as a result of asphyxiation.

Rose Baillargeon - December 1966 - Age ?? - Murdered - Ottawa, ON - Rose was sexually assaulted and strangled in her basement apartment of 249 Frank Street.

Richard Hovey - Spring 1967 - Age 17 - Murdered - Toronto, ON - Richard, a guitar player from New Brunswick, was abducted likely from somewhere in Toronto's night life. He was found nude with his arms bound behind his back in a farmer's field west side of Sideroad 17, approximately 2 kms (1.3 miles) north of Highway 9 near Schomberg. His remains were found in May 1968 and was unidentied for 38 years or so. He played guitar in cafes etc.

Unknown Male - Spring 1967 - Age 15-22 - Murdered - Coboconk, ON - This young man was likely missing the same time Richard Hovey went missing. His nude and still unidentified body was found in December 1967 in a wooded area of Balsam Lake Provincial Park, south of Highway 48. I am assuming he comes from similar circumstances to Richard Hovey because he's unidentified for so long.

Jacqueline Dunleavy ? January 1968 ? Age 16 ? Murdered - London, ON - Jacqueline, of Byron, was a Grade 10 student at Westminster secondary school when she was killed in January. She was strangled with either her scarf or a belt and struck on the head. Her partially clothed body was found in the driveway of what was then Katherine Harley school, near the London Hunt and Country Club. There is evidence she was sexually assaulted.

Frankie Jensen ? February 9, 1968 - Age 9 ? Murdered - Thorndale, ON - Frankie disappeared on his way to Westdale public school in London. His body was found two months later in the Thames River near Thorndale. He had a fractured skull and was partially clothed. It is unclear if he was sexually assaulted. (From London, found Thorndale)

Scott Leishman ? February 15, 1968 - Age 16 ? Murdered - London, ON - Scott, of RR 1, Thorndale, was missing for three months before his body was found in Port Burwell harbor on May 15. There were no signs of violence but some of his clothing was disturbed. It is unclear if he was sexually assaulted. (From Thorndale, found London)

Helga Beer ? August 6, 1968 - Age 31 ? Murdered - London, ON - Helga was found in the rear seat of her car in a parking lot off Carling Street near Dundas Street. She had been beaten, strangled and sexually assaulted. She was last seen alive leaving a friend?s downtown apartment Aug. 6 with an unknown man.

Lynda White ? November 13, 1968 ? Age 19 ? Murdered - London, ON - Lynda was a student at the University of Western Ontario and disappeared after writing a French exam on Nov. 13 in London. Her remains were found five years later in a shallow grave near St. Williams in Norfolk County. No clothing was found and police were unable to determine the cause of death.

Gloria Moody - 1969 - Missing - William's Lake, BC - Gloria was added to Highway of Tears list

1969 -- Jane Wooley, 62, of London, was found partially clothed Feb. 3 in her apartment on York Street three days after she was killed. She had been brutally beaten. She was last seen leaving the London House on Dundas Street where she was a $40-a-week hotel chambermaid. There was no evidence of sexual assault.

1969 -- Patricia Anne Bovin, 22, of London, was found stabbed and strangled April 24 on the second floor of the King Street apartment where she lived with her two young sons.

1969 -- Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, of London, disappeared from his Piccadilly Street home June 7. His body was found in a woodlot in London Township, six kilometres from his home. Police could not determine the cause of death and there was no evidence of sexual assault.

1969 -- Jacqueline English, 15, of London, was last seen getting into a car Oct. 4 at the cafeteria of a store in the former Treasure Island shopping plaza on Wellington Road, near the London Ice House. Her nude body was found five days later in Big Otter Creek near Tillsonburg. She had been sexually assaulted and killed by a blow to the head.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:18:32 PM by Desespere »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: 1950 - 1969 Unsolved Murders and Missing - Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 11:23:21 PM »
Des, by chance have you ever read up old newspaper articles about these? I'm thinking of getting a one month TO Star achive account for a month, would that be useful?

Mamaraine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 07:10:39 AM »
Not answering for Chris, by any means, but I think, in all actuality, the expense is worth it, if perhaps, someone could shed new light on an old case, perhaps take a different vantage point...perhaps someone's loved one may get some closure... you never know what kind of brainpower is put into the cases even marked on this site...however, online news articles may/can be difficult to acquire...I personally know of cases where I KNOW, for a fact, that they've received much reporting, and yet, locating the news/media coverage of said cases are almost impossible to find online...ie the Helene Boivin case here in the Okanagan.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 04:47:22 PM »
OK, I think I will do that in another week. I so busy right now I would not even get to start. I'd be interested in reading up on some of these.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 07:01:17 AM »
Very good. So sad to read these.

Baba Donya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »
In the early 80's a newspaper article in the Edmonton Journal written by Darcy Henton. Entitled "20 Years of Unsolved Death".

"It is almost like a state of war. Women are under seige. We're unsafe in the street, in our homes --- we're even unsafe in our marriages. People have got to get together an dput a stop to this and stop blaming the victims." (Jane Karstaedt, Edmonton Sexual Assault Centre - Executive Director)

As the article continues it subtitle is "Over 120 killings still on books", and that is in the 1980's.

Then it lists the names....which should be added...
of course Alexandra Wiwcharuk, 1962, but also...

1962 - Lottie Preszlack, Edmonton
1964 - Mary Passage, Winnipeg
1964 - Judith Francis Howey, Squamish (12)
1967 - Nancy Joan Johnsen, Surrey (7)

there is another 115 names...

Baba Donya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 01:46:35 AM »
Des, I will try to find out when exactly this article came out...

But I will try!  :)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »
"It is almost like a state of war. Women are under seige. We're unsafe in the street, in our homes --- we're even unsafe in our marriages. People have got to get together an dput a stop to this and stop blaming the victims." (Jane Karstaedt, Edmonton Sexual Assault Centre - Executive Director)

Well, I think this statement is a little misleading. Truth is, Canada has almost 600 murders a year and about 20% are female or 120. But it is true, most of those victims will at the hands of men and will almost always be someone they know.

But the statement should read. People are under seige. Because it is no safer for me either.

The persons most likely to meet a grim death and have it unsolved are stw's, homeless and drug users. So it is much much worse for those folks then us who have homes, stable lives and or do not have to face creeps and perverts day in day out.

Overall, I think in Canada we have a level of safety unlike just about any other country. 600 is a high number, but it was 600 30 years ago with almost 1/3 less people too.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Is anyone chipping away at these clusters of 5? I could start to do some. I'll go with the first 5 posted unless someone else is already doing them. Please let me know if you are so we are not doing extra research.
Nov 6, 1967 - Nancy Joan Johnsen, age 7 - Surrey, BC
Sep 15, 1968 - Jessie Kolibaba, age 74 - New Westminster, BC
Nov 20, 1969 - Evangeline Azarcon, age 7 - Surrey, BC
Jan 2, 1970 - Geraldine Settee, Age 11 - Winnipeg, MB
Jun 27, 1970 - Kathleen Parsons - Vancouver, BC

Thanks, Ohna

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
Evangeline Azarcon
http://www.library.ubc.ca/archives/pdfs/ubyssey/UBYSSEY_1969_11_28.pdf

Found this from the University newspaper

"Thanks
Dear Fellow Students:
On behalf of the few Filipin o students at UBC, the parents of Evangeline Azarcon and th e Consul General of the Philipin e
Consulate, allow me to express our sincere and heartfelt gratitude for your commendable service of joining the search for Evangeline
around the University Endowment lands on Nov . 26 .Our special thanks to the officers of the AMS, the engineering and foresty student s
who led the groups, the hundreds of young ladies and men who braved the early morning chilly weather, the thick and thorny forest and stiff cliffs for the purpose. We regret the accidental injuries suffered by Ed Betterton and Dave Craik and wish and pray for their early recovery .
The Filipino community of Vancouver is still hoping for the safe return of Evangeline . In the process, we are touched by the spontaneous response and concern of the people of Vancouver. And because of this, we feel consoled and unalienated in this great
country of golden-hearted people .
JAIME GELLOR"

D1

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 12:22:40 PM »
Most everyone posts new information as it is found. So if no new posts, likely no one has found anything yet so go ahead and see what you can find.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »
A bit more info on Nancy Johnsen

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 04:09:46 PM »
Evangeline Azarcon - I was able to find some more dates on this:
The date given here was 20 Nov 1969 which I assume is the date she went missing. Her death from the Ancestry web site was registered as 20 Jan 1970 which may have been when they found her. I couldn't find anything else except it does appear that her family moved to California at some point after this.

As far as I can determine this was UNSOLVED. The part that gets me about this little one and Nancy Johnsen is that they both disappeared from Surrey in November two years apart. Has anyone else ever wondered about a connection between these two girls?

Wish I could find more. I did write the Surrey RCMP to see if these cases were ever solved but have received no reply.

UPDATE: Evangeline Azarcon was not abducted in Surrey. She was taken off teh streets in Vancouver, in late-1969, and her body was located in the Post Kells area in Jan. 1970
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:45:57 PM by Chris »

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 04:15:54 PM »
Jessie Kolibaba - couldn't find anything more on this except her death was registered as 15 Sept 1968 - UNSOLVED??

Kathleen Parsons - 27 June 1970 - I could not find anything on this one. Her death does not appear to have been registered so it appears she is still missing - UNSOLVED???

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 10:00:31 PM »
Nancy Johnsen and Evangeline Azarcon

The Surrey Archives were very helpful and they sent me a news clipping about each of these little girls. Once I figure out how to post/upload them, I will.
The part that bothers me is that, unless my internet mapping skills are out to lunch, Nancy and Evangeline's bodies were found in the same area, about 8km apart. Nancy went missing and was found in November 1967 and Evangeline went missing in Nov 1969 and was found  in  January 1970.
As soon as I can I'll post the info from the clippings.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:16:22 AM by ohna »