Author Topic: Personal Safety & Safety Tips.  (Read 15379 times)

Carol-Lynn

Personal Safety & Safety Tips.
« on: November 17, 2010, 12:56:33 PM »
Maybe it is a good idea to start a new Topic on this as some have found a need to express there concerns over there safety and others. This would be a good place to discuss things like that.

SAP

Re: Personal Safety & Safety Tips.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:34:28 PM »
Thanks CL.
I seldom carry cash, rarely a purse. Just a small folder with Driver's license and ATM card, any other needed cards, and that fits into a pocket.

SAP

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »
ON HOME INVASIONS

Our normally very nice neighbourhood has had many break and enters and I'll give you an example of things I didn't know before. (We have a suspect in sights but not enough evidence at the moment, unless Police act on a report I'm handing in today)

Deadbolt locks: The keys have serial numbers so if you have ever left your keys in the door overnight like my dtr often did...the serial number can be copied and a key made without the key.
This is how we feel our break ins have ocurred, as the thieves didn't break in but came through the dead bolts with proper tools or keys (myself and a neighbour) and one on either side of the suspect. The RCMP have tunnel vision and claim that no one could get past my vicious dog unless it was a friend of ours. The fact that my neighbour was caught giving my dogs treats to "trust" him as he put it and my dogs are very used to him and his mom. They bark at everyone else.

AUTOMATIC GARAGE DOOR OPENERS;

Some people don't keep valuables in the garage and often don't lock the doors, but there may be sometimes there is something worth locking up, but the thieves have already been in and copied the serial number off the opener. They can get any opener at Canadian tire and programn it for your garage. LOCK UP.
A couple nights ago I came home from work to find one neighbour's garage door wide open and her house ilghts off so I knew it wasn't her. Watching from my house window, I saw THE "suspect" go into her garage and carry something out. Trouble is he saw me too. I have decided to make a report to Police and maybe they will decide to take a look at the house and garage for stolen items. This person is unemployed, into drugs and came to live with his mother 2 yrs ago and ever since we have been plagued with problems.

Guard your deadbolt keys and lock your garage doors no matter if you have anything in them or not.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:12:54 PM »
Thanks for that SAP. A couple of very good tips on things that are easy enough for everyone to do.
Seems we have to learn to think one step ahead of the bad guys these days.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »
I just heard today that gas stations are handing out free keychains to select individuals. Rumor has it the keychains have GPS and the perps are targeting those homes for robberies, etc. So, if that is true, don't accept freebies. Not worth, or if you do get them...drive them to LE so the perps can have fun at that house of business!!!   ;)

SAP

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »
I just heard today that gas stations are handing out free keychains to select individuals. Rumor has it the keychains have GPS and the perps are targeting those homes for robberies, etc. So, if that is true, don't accept freebies. Not worth, or if you do get them...drive them to LE so the perps can have fun at that house of business!!!   ;)

Thanks Concerned. Interesting.

While buying some spy cams today, some young fellows working there told me about "ghost keys". I had never heard of a ghost key. Supposedly they are used for B n E's also. They get s softer type of key like the ones you get for copies, put it in the lock and give it a good thump and it supposedly fits and can open a deadbolt.
My one neighbour has the deadbolt that has a key and number pad and she claims they are the best, just need to remember another number.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »
A good lock is nice but nothing beats perception better. Burglers case places and choose the easiest place. Nothing is more effective then proper lighting, and the appearance of security. Keep gates closed, garage door closed and locked, car doors locked, shed closed etc.

It's the little things that add up, that make a burger think your house is an easy target. He won't even get to the door if he feels you take safety seriously.

Motion detector lights and dogs, now those are good. Beware Of Dog sign visible in the very spot the motion light comes on would be worth the extra cash to install a video camera just to see the look on the poor bastards face.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »
SAP, as I understand it they get the instruction for opening the locks that way on a well known site that people post their videos on. Step by step instruction.

Chris, I laughed reading your post, because it made me remember a guy that was attempting to break into the car in the driveway. Sitting in the kitchen, by the window that you could probably reach out and touch the idiot through the screen, the perp was watched more out of fascination. How bold he looked, intent on finding goodies. Then when boredom set in...all it took was one distinctive clicking sound, and simple words "Ahhh, I wouldn't do that if I were you."  As his back was to the window and he was about to break glass. I think he pee'd his pants. But would have loved to have that camcorder to show the sissy run that took place afterwards.  A bit of a skip and mid air step that might not have touched the ground.

Made me think how nice it would be to have a bit of a strategically placed speaker system, and a bit of a high tech command center.  Depending on the entry of choice. If they dare to come in closer, then, well... it's not like they weren't warned.  And probably no question at that point the steps you took to secure your person. And, the steps they willingly took to harm.  But I must say when I looked into it, it was amusing to see the tapes of the Doberman's bark as the person was entering the door... the owner made sure they thought it was behind them when the perp got inside, made the tape even funnier to watch. They thought it was a good night when the perp dropped the gun and run. Could start a nice collection. 

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 08:24:48 AM »
Way to go Midland Police Service. Found this on their site today.....HELP ME HELP YOU...love it:

Collecting Quality Video Evidence From Your Surveillance System
Submitted by admin on Tue, 07/31/2007 - 15:28. General Interest

If you record video in your home or business there are some tips that will assist us in the event that your video might one day be used as evidence in a court proceeding.

These tips apply equally to large multi-camera installations as they do to a simple camera connected to a VCR.

The first thing to know is that most of what you see on CSI (fictional TV drama about forensic evidence collection) is fiction. No, we cannot 'extrapolate' a person's face from reflection off a lampshade across the room or from a reflection off your cornea. Nor can we identify a person in the back corner of a video and zoom in on them to have them magically materialize in vivid detail. We wish we could, but this is just not possible, especially with the low resolution security cameras, low frame rates, poor camera positioning, bad lighting and high compression found in today's typical security camera video.

That being said, we don't expect you to install IMAX cameras and high-definition video recorders in your business, complete with a crew of sound and lighting engineers either.

There is a famous line in the movie 'Jerry McGuire' where Tom Cruise's character states emphatically, 'HELP ME HELP YOU'.

That is the purpose of this article. We figure that if we want you to collect good quality video for us, we should tell you how to do just that.

Since most people record video to protect themselves, their property or their loved ones and to document evidence in case they are victimized, you might want to know what can you do to collect the best possible video?

Camera Placemement If you expect to use your video to identify a person, you need to capture their head and face. I know this sounds like common sense, but most of the video we get is taken from a high angle, far above the person we need to identify. Without being able to identify a person’s face, you are only recording the fact that a 'person' was there.

Compression Is Bad (but unavoidable) Most digital video recorders (DVR) use variable degrees of compression to shrink the size of the video to maximize storage on the internal hard disc. On the other hand, VCR recordings are completely uncompressed. Compressing a video results in a video of not only a smaller file size, but of lesser quality and detail. In addition, since compression actually discards information to compress the video, you are not recording all that your camera is actually capturing. Few DVRs actually allow you to turn compression off, but you can control to what degree (how much loss) it will compress your video. Consult your manual or check with your installer for help in reducing compression and increasing the video frame size.

Hard disc drives are cheaper than ever today, so whenever possible, set your DVR to record the largest image size at the least amount of compression. You will use up more hard disc space and may not be able to keep as many days or months of video but what you do have will be of higher quality and of higher evidentiary value.

Lighting Another fact, security cameras need light. Cameras used to record in dark environments are usually sensitive to IR (infrared) light and have some form of illumination. Well-lit scenes are always going to give you better video. Conversely, too much light will make your camera’s image ‘washed out’ and steps to adjust the camera’s iris are necessary. Ensure your camera view is clear, well lit and is not aimed into an area where light changes dramatically.

Color vs Black and White (grayscale) Color cameras provide more details. Determining a person’s skin tone, hair color, clothing colors etc. is only possible when using a color camera. Color cameras need more light to capture these details.

Black and White (or grayscale) cameras are better suited to low light areas. While some important information is not available from a grayscale image, the quality is superior in low-light or artificially lit (infrared) night recordings.

Multiplexing This process allows multiple camera views to be recorded onto a single VCR tape. The result is a stop-motion effect where each camera’s image is recorded on successive frames (or fields) that, when viewed on a system without the multiplexer, appears to be images flashing by at an imperceptibly high speed. The benefit of being able to record several camera sources on a single tape is offset by the fact that there are many frames of data missing from the final result, so when isolating a single camera’s view, even when slowed down to approximate real-time, the images have a strobe light effect and motion is not smooth.

Another way of recording is called Quad. This is where a video display is broken up into four quadrants and images are all displayed simultaneously. While this allows for non-multiplexed full motion video, the images are small and only occupy a fraction of the screen. This presents problems when trying to get details from a single camera. Once the video is recorded in this format, a single camera view cannot be isolated without distortion from zooming in.

Summing up, we recommend that you talk to your camera installer about these issues, review your operating manual to become familiar with your system’s settings and take steps to ensure that you are not wasting your time capturing video that may result in disappointment when you really need it.

If you record to VHS tape, you need to invest in new tapes every 6 months. Don’t just keep re-using the same tired old cassette until it jams up in your recorder. The magnetic particles on the tape are susceptible to wear and tear and cannot be relied upon to serve you well for any great period of time. In addition, pausing playback and scanning forward and backwards while paused will cause your tape to wear even faster.

A worn tape stores poor quality video and creates many unnecessary challenges for our video analysts; some of which can result in us not being able to use what little video you managed to record.

If you have any questions or comments about this article, feel free to contact S/Cst Bill Gordon at (705)526-2201 ext 2310.

http://www.police.midland.on.ca/node/27

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »
I also think the best deterrent is a dog or two.   I have one medium and one small dog.  Both are good watch dogs.   When any guy (delivery, or whatever) comes around and my female dog is outside, I tell the 'stranger' not to trust her, she is sketchy. It would be hard for a stranger to 'read' her body language.  They really can't trust her!  All have heeded my warning too, and not gone up to her  ;)   She is a 'pound puppy' that you can tell has been severely mistreated by a guy(s) in her past, so she gives mixed messages with many men, even a couple that she knows.    I feel pretty safe with my 2 dogs, and I don't live in a big city.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 05:22:24 PM »
Had neighbors who had two Doberman's trained to kill without asking questions. The only ones it let in the yard were the owners, or if the owners said it was ok. They had them as they were international business owners and I guess they felt the need to have them with them at work and at home. Don't know. Didn't ask.

But the dogs died. Rumor had it someone put poison in a cheeseburger and threw it into the yard.

So...how about heck with the dog. Date a specially trained bodyguard.   ;)  (And tell him/her not to eat the cheeseburgers lying around in the yard.   ;D

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 12:47:04 AM »
Another Point: Cats are useless when it comes to intruders.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
How about search lights sweeping across the back forty, with pellet shotguns  strategically placed around the property with trip wires?   Just kidding of course!! ;D  No 2 Rotties is a better bet.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:04:56 PM by jellybean »

SAP

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 04:06:03 AM »
A co-workers mother who lives near a lake in the country where there are high crimes/thefts, bought a machine she sets in the bushes and it is a motion detector that starts barking and the sounds get closer and closer along with a threshing sound making it appear a vicious dog is coming near very fast. She claims it works good.

Friendly Oracle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »
I travel a lot and often through remote areas. Cell phone and car charger. flashlight and floodlight. Some used to sell a flashing emergency kit that gives off a police siren sound.Scares off people. Warm survival blanket,(silver) or thick sleeping bag.
Carry raisins, nuts and bottled water, in the event you get stranded.Authorities take any "weapon" at the border, but you can improvise with hairspray, and such
. Best bet, do not travel alone. If you must, get a "dummy"hubby, using pillows and a mans shirt and a stuffed "face' with hat on top, as predators don't want to mess with a couple.You can buy them for hundreds of dollars or make one yourself.Use at twilight, so all they really see is another silhouette.If you can travel sunup to sundown. If you can't stick to heavily traveled roads.
Yellowhead16 is really,really rough in the winter, with steep and slippery spots, avalanche and mudslide spots, as well as blinding rain/snow fall.
Even a fake kid's gun may be enough to scare a predator away. It is better than nothing.
Have car prepped before any long trip, especially tires and tred.Call ahead to hotels letting them know your exact location so if bad  weather slows you down or something happens they will have some idea where to send help.
Park car directly outside hotel window where you can see it at night. Ask for security to watch the lot. Beware of hotels with two doors(outside and inside)and signs of vandals (torn up pop machines, ice machines)in the hall. Beware of hotels with only one way out and no widows(what if fire).
Try air and heat before paying. Lots of folks advertise heat and air but have it disconnected to save a buck. I've slept in a hot motel with the air conditioner disconnected in the summer, and froze in unheated rooms in the winter.Beware of super cheap with lots of ganglike activities going on.Checked into one that had a lot of underage teen sex and so on.Realized gangs were frequently using it as their pad.Found out later, lots of folks get robbed there, owner is probably in on it.This was just outside Regina.I got up and left and rented at much higher price better place.I am sure I would have been another victim if I stayed.
Fold back sheets, some places will only remake a bed. Check to see if clean.