Author Topic: Steven Duggan missing from Banff  (Read 11969 times)

SAP

Re: Steven Duggan missing from Banff
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 08:48:33 AM »
http://www.southshorenow.ca/archives/2005/092805/news/8.html

Interesting article on Steve. Laid back type of person; carried cash, no bank account, etc.
Two mother bears spotted in the area he was killed/ or found at...

If they found all the skeletal remains in one place, I'd hardly think it was an animal though. People who travel that area often, or live there, tend to have a healthy respect for the animals and keep their distance. Since he was a cash carrier, I'd worry more about the animals on 2 legs. I practically lived in the mountains when the wild animals were more abundant in and near the towns and we never had problems with 4 footed animals.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »
Sad Dad:  how fortunate he was, to have you!!
And you are still on his side! Yes, something perhaps is very fishy, but what can you do?? The room mate should be under suspicion - that is for sure!! Keep showing Steven's light!!
Keeping pressing on, keep asking the RCMP questions until you receive satisfacory answers. Just my thoughts on this.
PEACE
JB
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:16:35 PM by jellybean »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »
I am so sorry about your step son, my condolences.

I just moved to Banff days before he was found in the woods. I remember going for my walk and seeing all the police cars.

They guy who worked at the Shell station, I do not remember his name, but he knew your son. He liked him too and was very sad about this. If I recall, he said he had left a party or gathering, either lost money or spent it, maybe gambled or something, and felt he went into the woods himself.

Locals in Banff felt it was suicide. There were no rumors or talk of murder or anything. Perhaps some of those people he hung around took advantage of your step son or something, that happened a lot in Banff.

ANd for what it is worth, the police did seem to ask as many people as possible about this. I do know there is an abnormally high number of suicides in Banff, not sure why, but I think everyone had the sense before he was found, that this is what happened.

Chris

SAP

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
My sincere condolences "Sad-dad".

It was I that mentioned not much of any investigating was done and perhaps I could have worded that differently to ... not much was reported on the case of your step-son here that I can remember. I'm sorry if my off the cuff comment has hurt feelings.

There seem to be alot of strange circumstances in Steven's disappearance as was noted by your post and while Chris mentioned that Police were asking alot of people for info, perhaps they didn't ask the right people all they could have. For eg: the room mate ... 2 days missing and Steven's belongings were in storage ... I would be interested if police checked that angle as to what the roommate knew in order to remove Steven's personal items and why didn't the Police have them. The room mates actions are callous.
Keep pressing for info. It is your right.

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »
Hello Sad-dad. I am very happy someone who knew him has come on to shed some light on this thread.
I was in school with Steven, we werent close but when someone dissappears that you know then are found dead with no answers it can be troubling. That is why I posted it.
There are quite a few people who have passed on I went to school with, accidents/overdoses..and many who are in federal prison..
But Steven is the only one who has met a fate like this. Which is too bad. He was quite liked in school at least from my perspective.
Has any cause of death been stated?

SAP

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »
This is where it gets me, that myself, his mother and his father where all refused any search by the authorities in Banff, because of his age. We were told "he most likely took off, that's what people do at that age".

Some people just take off and are never found, some don't want to be found, but how can they attach that label without knowing anything about Steven, or at least letting you know if they know something? IMO, that was very poor judgement on the part of the officers. They are not the omnipotent gods that some may think they are. If that's all they could give you and expect you to go home and live happily ever after, it's a shame.
If I were you I would take all the info you have and hire a good PI; perhaps that may be the only recourse now.
Sure Steven was an adult and had a right to privacy, however that was violated in some manner and he was found deceased and you have a right to information.
I'm not condemning all police but there are a few handfuls who have had less than stellar reputations and have become more of a problem than an asset. (June Hibbs case on this forum). Many others as well.
If I were in your shoes, I would continue on whichever way possible to get answers. I find it unbelievable that forensics cannot find a cause of death in such a short time of death.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »
It was rather unfortunete that shortly after he went missing, a young girl was brutally rapes and almost died which probably took all the police effort for a week or so. She never did come out of coma.

Anyway, if there was something amiss, or any hint of foul play, rumors would have swirled. Everyone had great things to say about Steven, no one suspected anything.

BUt yes I do agree something could and should have been done sooner. Banff is a weird place, people leave and never say goodbye, the only thing that bothers me is that no one noticed until October. It's not an area with a trail or lots of people, but there are enough people around to notice something I think.

sdtg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 07:01:02 PM »
a few things people have wrong here..
1 he went home from work to change and then go to the party, not the other way around.
2 plenty of people gave it their all to convince the police that there was foul play involved. their response was let us do the investigation or you may end up like him.. go figure..
3 there was supposedly pieces of rope nearby and it was just called suicide.. end of story.. which apparently stemmed from him saying " id rather be dead than working at this stupid shawn desmond concert" none of this was public except verbally in the town of banff.
4 the clothing on and near the remains were not his and the shoes were 2 sizes too big
5 steve had the ability to be great friends with anyone.. both "good" and "bad" people. the latter got him judged by the law enforcement.
this was possibly one of the greatest men i had the luxury of knowing and after so many years there are a lot of us who still think we know what happened.. its unfortunate that nobody will now or would have listened and helped then.

sdtg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »
very interesting to read peoples opinions.. the roommate was in fact the person to call the police.. and continued each day until they finally did the dna test..and the clothes being in storage is absurd.. the parents went to the house and rummaged through the room for anything they may have wanted for personal and legal purpose..
 the two were best friends i assure you

SAP

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
sdtg:

Perhaps this is what gave the ideas that were posted here:

http://banffcragandcanyon.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=2363751

Media often turn things around in their rush to get the story first. Some will also mainly report what cops want said, whether it's true or not.

Steve's step dad had mentioned that his belongings were in  storage, leaving that open to speculation as to why a room mate would do that. Thank you for setting the record straight.
If Steven was friends with untoward persons, perhaps that is why police dragged their feet and lied on this case, and perhaps  Steven even ran into them and may have lipped off to the wrong officer? Some of them who think they are God's given don't take kindly to such and it could even be one of their own who could have beaten up Steve. There are good cops and then there are those who "use" their badges to intimidate etc.

This would be the second case I have heard about that the wrong size clothing and shoes were found with a body, and both cases were classed as suicide. Is that a crooked policeman's way out? The other case was in Ontario some years back.

At the moment I don't know what else can be done, except take all the info you have to a PI that isn't handshake friends with a cop and have him investigate. From what you have said, and also from what Steve's step dad has said, this is very suspect for the RCMP.
Don't get me wrong ... I'm not a cop hater, but I do know there are good cops and then there are those who are criminals themselves ... just that they wear a badge.

This is the other case from Ontario:

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=2793.msg78400#msg78400

Some years ago the police in Saskatoon, took a drunk native man who was dressed only in a thin shirt and jeans, out of town in -35 degree weather and dropped him off. He froze to death. I personally know of a cop who cuffed a drunken man, took him out of town and gave him the beating of his life, leaving him with a hairline fracture in his skull and never saw his rightful justice ... so who knows what sadistic cop Steven ran into. I would pursue this farther if I were family and friends.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:29:27 PM by SAP »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
While looking for updates on Steven Duggen I came across a link from 2012 and thinking there may be some news finally, I clicked on it. It was a writer who claimed he/she popped into a forum where a thread was made for Steven, although much of the conversation was idle speculation. Speculation is okay. Police and other investigators do it too and that is how they arrive at conclusions sometimes by ruling out theories/speculations with too many gaps.

Since it seems possible the media made up some "facts" and left out other facts, speculation is all forum posters have to deal with. At least that keeps the missing/murdered person relevant. Perhaps speculations may even jog a memory that could provide new clues in these types of cases.

Since this is an opinion piece, and not a media article, I will not copy and paste the article but it is there for anyone interested in reading.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/can.politics/aSk6IOtXdus

sdtg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
The only facts were that he went to a party as happy as a person could ever be and never came home.. found in clothes too big that he didnt own, in the woods he would never go to.. this is not rocket science..

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 01:34:16 PM »
This is a print out of the link I left above. It does not sound good for the powers that were back then and I hope it has changed since then. Banff is too beautiful of a place to have a reputation much like an old frontier town, especially when it come to law.

In the past I've posted on some 'irregularities' I've seen in what they call
the 'criminal justice system' in Banff, Alberta.  Much of this comes from
personal experience.  I lived there for over seven years plus a year back in
the 90's; I first visited when I was nine, I had a family connection there
going back to the 1950's, and I'd spent time in that part of the Rockies for
much of the past two decades.  I left the town specifically due to issues
similar to what I've been writing about.

So, tonight I stumble across a forum with a thread devoted to this Mr. Duggan -
a young man from back east who disappeared from the town back in 2005, and
whose remains were later discovered on the far side of the CPR tracks near
Banff.  I then looked up other stories telling about the frustration of his
family...

http://tinyurl.com/7o7ceqw

Apparently not everyone forgets as fast as Banff does.  When the only local
media outlets are fed their stories by the local authorities, be they police,
government (Banff, in its unique situation, is likely the most heavily-
governed, and corrupt, town in Canada IMO), or local business interests, this
is hardly surprising.
  While much of what's posted on that forum is idle
speculation, at least Mr. Duggan isn't forgotten.

As I lived there at the time I vaguely followed the case, but forgot about it.

"This is where it gets me, that myself, his mother and his father where all
refused any search by the authorities in Banff, because of his age
. We were
told "he most likely took off, that's what people do at that age"."

- Mr. Duggan's stepfather

There was another story contrasting the quick response of the Canmore
detachment just down the valley to a missing persons complaint with this one.

Remarkable - given the antics of Banff RCMP regarding another case I've written
about here in the past (Google 'Kristen Banff') in which they first tried to
hide the fact there was a sexual assault on this young Aussie woman at all, and
later obfuscated the description of the suspect.

Do I think Mr. Duggan was murdered, or died some other unnatural death?  I
don't know.  I hope not.  What I DO know is that his case is suspicious, and
that Banff RCMP will go to extreme measures to cover up criminal activity in
that town - when it's carried out by people with connections - and that some of
those people are capable of pretty much anything.
  That's my own experience.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »
I believe he was murdered. I do wish that young men and women would be so careful about their financial activities. I mean if anyone knows you have any money on you in this day and age, you are at risk. Always act like you have enough for a few drinks, never open your wallet and just take a reasonable amount of money for the evening. I have had money stolen on me and at a place I would not expect it, because there were other people in the home that night. I just left my purse in a bedroom, I thought was okay. There was not one cent in my purse the next morning and I knew I had 35.00 in it, not a lot. But it was by chance that I took over 200.00 out of my purse before I went, because it was Christmas time. So never let on that you carry funds. There is a thread on here related to a young man who is from Nova Scotia, he was last seen going to cash a cheque, he did hitchhike, because it was a rural area,  he was never seen again and they still don't know what happened to him. I don't believe a wild animal got this man. Like someone said, he was not one to go around these areas alone. When the situation does not fit and you have a gut feeling about something, this is possibly a murder.  Also in that area, like you say, they do not want to let the public know how much crime goes on in those tourist areas, pathetic. Crimes should not be covered up and the public should know about it.  It's like cruise ships, there are hundreds of bad things happen, but we never hear of it. :( :( :( :( :( :(