Author Topic: Steven Duggan missing from Banff  (Read 12461 times)

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
Steven Duggan missing from Banff
« on: November 15, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
I knew him from out here in Nova Scotia. I cant find him on this site or anywhere but a small newspapers site in Nova Scotia'. so here is the link to all stories and the very last one I've posted. I would like to know what happened to him. we werent close but I just wonder...

http://www.southshorenow.ca/cgi-bin/omega?P=steven+duggan&Submit=Submit+Query

Chester family learns that remains are those of missing son

By ANGIE ZINCK

CHESTER - A family's worst nightmare has ended in a swell of unanswered questions.
 The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of Calgary has identified the remains found in a remote area of Banff, Alberta as 22-year-old Steve Duggan.
 Mr. Duggan went missing on July 27. He had not been heard from or seen since.

Earlier this fall skeletal remains were found in the northern region of Banff between the CN railroad lines and the Trans-Canada Highway.

As there were no dental records available, Mr. Duggan's mother, Linda Saltzman, offered a sample of her DNA for testing purposes. DNA analysis found that the remains found were those of her son. She says she wasn't surprised.
 "I knew down deep in my heart that Steven wasn't with us any longer," she says from the Chester home she shares with Mr. Duggan's stepfather, John Saltzman.

Steve's father, Steven Duggan Sr., will fly to Banff on January 5 to bring their only son home.

At this point the family does not know what happened to their son. The Banff RCMP detachment would not comment on the case, but Mr. Duggan Sr. says because wildlife destroyed most of the body, there isn't much to go on.

"They can make assumptions, but that's about all they can be," he says.

After the remains were found in late October, Banff RCMP Sgt. Wayne Wiebe said there's no indication at this point that the skeletal remains were those of someone who had met with foul play.

The family is keeping themselves busy contacting their son's friends to let them know the news. Mr. Duggan's funeral will be held January 14 and he will be buried in Canaan.

"It's bad, bad, bad, bad," says Ms Saltzman. "As time goes nearer to the actual funeral date, I know it's going to be worse.

"Even though we're going to be burying him here there's nothing to look at because all that's left is the basic skeleton andthat's it," says Ms Saltzman. "You still don't get your closure as far as seeing is believing.

"I guess a person just learns to deal with that kind of stuff but I think I would have felt better if I would have been able to look at him laying there with his eyes closed and say goodbye to him that way." 

there is a pic of him with this story but I have no idea how to post them

24mindy

Re: Steven Duggan missing from Banff
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
so sad. I feel as the mother does that theres no real closer if u cant see them..But as for the missing mccanns im afraid thats all there wil be too. So aweful..

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »

I've posted Steve's picture from the link you provided whisper.

SAP

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »
So very sad! If forensics were able to determine DNA, would they also not have been able to have  better judgement whether there was injury to skeletal remains? In other much older cases of skeletal remains found answers have been more definitive.

One thing that has been bad in the Rockies, is people driving through and feeding the wildlife for reasons of shooting unusual pictures. Police and wardens have warned against this for many years, yet some visitors still feed the wild animals. The huge problem with the feeding is that animals get used to it and expect it and have been known to get agressive towards humans walking as well as vehicles driven when not offered food/snacks.
I was in a vehicle that had to stop due to others stopping and bears trying to get into windows expecting treats. The majority were getting pictures as bears scratched the doors.
IMO, perhaps Steven was attacked for the same reason.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »
This is very sad that Steven was found deceased. It must have been a shock to his family, but also wondering always what really happened to him. Did anybody know where he was going that day, what were his plans? It is hard to know if he just walked out the door and said nothing of his plans. It could have been an accident or it could have been foul play, hard to know as the investigators have stated. RIP Steven. I send my sympathy to his parents and relatives. :'( :'( :'(

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
... he wouldnt have been driving or trying to take pics of wildlife. Pretty sure he hand no license and well,wasnt the type to take pics of animals.

we werent close but ... lets just say he wasnt a "beauty of nature" kind of guy. lol

edited to fix a spelling mistake
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:06:03 PM by whispersoftly »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 12:08:45 PM »
Well it's not likely he went into an isolated area by himself to take nature pictures. And in that area there would be a lot of wild life that could attack you. I mean there would be cougars and other types of wild life that certainly would be a dangerous place to be. I am more apt to think he may have taken a drive hitch hiking and ran into trouble. Was he in the habit of hitching a ride??? If he was new to that area, how many people did he really know and trust. Young people tend to trust everybody, did he have any long time friends there or were these people all new to him. And who did see him after he left the residence he was at, can anybody else vouch for seeing Steven after he left his residence???? Go back to the last person who spoke with Steve, get more answers on where he was headed.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:35:06 PM by capeheart »

SAP

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »
I didn't imply that Steven was feeding the wildlife, nor that he was taking pictures of wildlife. Perhaps I need to take the English language course all over again as I am often misunderstood.

What I did mean was that just maybe he was attacked by wildlife that expected food from him b/c many people do feed the wildlife, and animals in the area tend to expect it from humans they encounter.
Most likely though he could have met with foul play. We've hitched in that area, pretty well all through the mountains, walked past bears and other wildlife without incidents. The animals are very much used to people and the bears that did attack people were tranquilized and airlifted quite distant from the area. Cougers follow rivers and only usually come inland when food is scarce along the rivers.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »
SAP, I didn't mean that, I guess I was misunderstood. I thought that someone had implied that he was not a nature lover as such and that is what I took from it. And I don't think he would be into feeding wild life, especially if he was not from that area for very long. I was just wondering, who knew where he was going, if they knew when he left, he must have mentioned what his intentions were? I say go back to where he left from and some kind of answer should be forthcoming. But if he didn't have a car, he possibly hitched a ride and got into trouble there. :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:35:57 PM by capeheart »

SAP

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
This case did not get much attention here that I can see. I wonder why that may be? No family investigations and not much, if any, requests by Police for info. Strange all the way around.
Could it be that he was involved with untoward people and police are quietly investigating. He "appears" to look clean cut. Not that he deserves what he got if he was into drugs; no one "deserves" to be snuffed out and left to the elements. Banff like any other area nowadays, had quite a heavy drug culture. 

SAP

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
According to this article he went home after a party, changed his clothes, left all his personal items behind and vanished. Never showed up for work, which was unusual for him and worried his friends and co-workers. So seems he had good rapor with all those he had contact with. If he went for a walk he probably ran into the wrong persons.

http://banffcragandcanyon.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=2363751

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »
It sounds to me like Stevie had plans to meet someone for some reason and did not indicate who that person was. I am wondering why he would be found by someone hiking, I mean he would be far off the beaten path for sure if he was found in the woods. Working in bars and lounges in those areas is a dangerous business. He may have come across something that he knew and someone didn't like it and took care of Steve, so he couldn't blow the whistle. A dangerous world out there for young people. There actually was a case here in Nova Scotia which is similar to this case. It happened quite some time ago, a young man from Cape Breton was in Halifax and he went to a party.  He came home from the party and got washed and dressed and he left his sister's place and went in his red car the next morning, apparently to meet someone and he has never been seen since. His car was never found. At least Steve's parents know what has happened to him and can bring his remains back home. I sure feel sad for the family, they have my deepest sympathy. ??? :o :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:45:40 PM by capeheart »

superbee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »
I had never heard of this case either until I read Whispersoftly's and all your posts.  This is so tragic, and yet I heard nothing on the news that I recall.  His poor dad, so far away, coming out to try to find his son, it sounds he did alot of investigating himself.  At least now the poor dad has some closure, and laid his son to rest.  RIP Steven.  One thing so many cases of missing or deceased young people have in common--around drinking or drugs--they don't even need to be partaking.  It seems add those to the mix, and there is trouble.  Some people think, act, and react differently just from one drink.  Then something is taken the wrong way, and evil enters the picture.  We all have read that the young person comes back home, often changes, then leaves--taking little with them, and disappear.  It must be they meet someone, then wickedness happens.  There is something I am not getting here--most parties are at night. Steve comes home and leaves at 9:45 am?  Didn't he sleep? Or he slept, and then left?  His remains being found near train tracks seem bizarre to me too, unless that's where he went for walks.  To me it sounds like his body was dumped there.  Wouldn't track maintenance crews have seen his body?

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 08:23:07 AM »
I had never heard of this case either until I read Whispersoftly's and all your posts.  This is so tragic, and yet I heard nothing on the news that I recall.  His poor dad, so far away, coming out to try to find his son, it sounds he did alot of investigating himself.  At least now the poor dad has some closure, and laid his son to rest.  RIP Steven.  One thing so many cases of missing or deceased young people have in common--around drinking or drugs--they don't even need to be partaking.  It seems add those to the mix, and there is trouble.  Some people think, act, and react differently just from one drink.  Then something is taken the wrong way, and evil enters the picture.  We all have read that the young person comes back home, often changes, then leaves--taking little with them, and disappear.  It must be they meet someone, then wickedness happens.  There is something I am not getting here--most parties are at night. Steve comes home and leaves at 9:45 am?  Didn't he sleep? Or he slept, and then left?  His remains being found near train tracks seem bizarre to me too, unless that's where he went for walks.  To me it sounds like his body was dumped there.  Wouldn't track maintenance crews have seen his body?

all very good points. unfortunately, all I know is what was in those articles.... too bad someone close wuldnt come on here and shed some light as to why his remains were found where they were found without anyone smelling or seeing his body that close to train tracks.

sherlockholmes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »
First of all, the newspaper article quoted in the original post was erronous in that the railroad tracks were those of CP, and not CN. As for nobody seeing or smelling anything when the body was close to the tracks, we were not told how close to the track the body was, and wind direction has a lot to do with what one can smell. Also, with the abundant wildlife in the area, a foul smell would not necessarily set alarm bells off in one's mind. Also keep in mind that the smell would dissipate in a short period of time, and track workers are not a daily presence on the tracks. By the way, cougar attacks on humans are not an infrequent occurrence in the Banff area.