Author Topic: Harris Hill - Missing Hunter NS 2010-11-12  (Read 14935 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Missing Hunter NS 2010-11-12
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 03:20:33 PM »
Whisper, those were my thoughts exactly as I had previously posted and I am almost positive of it now. If he had suffered a heart attack, with the great search they had, I think they would have found him. I think a triggerhappy hunter, took him for a deer and shot him and was in shock when they realized it. They in no way wanted the bullets to be recovered because they maybe identified later on by the firings. I believe they removed him from the area and took him possibly to another county and disposed of his remains, that's my theory. It is so sad for the family not to have found him. My prayers go out to the family, especially at this time of year when they will definitely feel their pain of not having him this Christmas. :'( :'( :'( :'(

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 12:10:41 PM »
Sorry to all of those who asked questions which I didnt reply to I didnt tell it to notify me and I apologize for forgetting to do such.

Keeping in mind that I am limited to what I can say I would like to note the following:

DebbieC- Distance from Truck to "deer stand"(Location of Apple drop) would have been less than 300meters, as per the terrain there are sections out there that I as a Search Manager wouldnt put teams because there are risks. BUT these areas were still checked. I myself went out and checked them because I was in the roll of a searcher. Being High Angle Rescue certified we covered off some steep sloped areas.  No ropes needed but still added safety required.
Your question as per could he have fallen and gone un-noticed I would have to say that it is very unlikely.. not impossible however with the amount of dogs, helicopters and searchers out looking for someone who was expected to have burrowed underneath brush and leaves in order to be masked from the game he was hunting. I would expect that we would have found him if he had simply had a medical distress issue while walking to or from the site. If he was under brush and had a heart attack maybe he was not noticed but we were specifically looking for this, so being as skilled and trained as we are I would hope that nobody was careless enough to miss him during a sweep.
I will note in this post numerous times however that where he has yet to be located anything is possible and I am not suggesting  that any theories are wrong or right.

JOBO- If I could show you the maps I have of the coverage that we completed you would understand how unlikely it is that he is just lying there. He would have to be very well hidden.

CapeHeart: Yes there could have been a hunting accident however it is very unlikely that they could shoot someone and remove them from this area with out leaving some sign or clue/trace behind. AGAIN it is possible but that is very unlikely, cant be rulled out though until he is located.

The New Brunswick teams have met with the RCMP officer who was in charge of this search and we have discussed all the areas that were covered and where we thought would be reasonable to look again. I know that the dog handlers(civilian ones) were thinking they would like to go back out and do some more work.

Anymore questions let me know I will do my best remembering that I can only say so much.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »
Thanks again, GSAR, that was a great deal of valuable information. I noted recently that a young boy had got lost in the woods for five hours, astonishing that he had gotten so far away for a young lad. Now that makes me wonder about Mr. Hill, he was older and nobody would expect him to wander far. But he could very well have gone quite a distance. I am not good at this 300 metres or whatever, it is hard for me even after all this time to figure out the distance. Mr. Hill could have gone three miles, especially if he thought he was going in the right direction. It was a nice day and he could have been enjoying nature, as he always did. It surely is a mystery that nothing was found.  :o :o :o :o :o :o

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 03:51:04 PM »
No Problem Cape Heart. Statistically you should assume that a person moved 2km the first hour and a kilometer an hour after that. Now thats a very basic assumption and each category of missing person has different statistics. I will post the information regarding lost hunters either later tonight or over the weekend.

Perhaps it will give you a bit more insight into what gets looked at when a call goes out for a search.

Mr. Hill was a very skilled gentleman, and normally carried a compass with him. I will definitly be following this one until he is located. It is the only case I have been involved in in the 3 years that I have been with SAR which we havent been able to bring a subject home. (This does not mean that they all have ended well but closure is better than the unknown.)

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »
Yes, because it would always be on your mind, where is this man and what happened to him. Especially since you have solved all other cases, even if they were not found alive. But it really is a mystery when they have not been found at all. Hoping in the future that there are answers as to what happened to Mr. Hill. :( :( :( :( :( :(

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 02:06:33 AM »
If there was sniffer dogs, wouldn't they zero in on any kind of sign that Mr Hill was shot? ( If that was the case).  Why didn't these dogs find him?  Or did they just stop at a spot?    I thought we could put more faith into these dogs...no?

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
Re: Harris Hill - Missing Hunter NS 2010-11-12
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 07:27:25 AM »
Jobo,

In regards to the dogs the way the work is they follow skin rafts for scent. We as humans are falling apart at the seems dropping millions of microscopic particles which are covered in our scent.

These dogs train to follow the trails of these skin rafts so alot comes into play, wet weather, temperature, if other people are in or have been in the area.

While I work and train with the local Police K-9 unit where I am from and I know how accurate this dog is, most dogs are not that effective during searches mainly because there are other people in the area(hunters, family, searchers)

Helicopters and dogs are merely an added resource in the Search Managers tool kit. You dont replace your set of box wrenches just because you have an adjustable.

Im not saying by any means that you were saying the dogs should be used more than other resources, my analogy there is just to prove that even though I have little faith in dogs locating the missing person before search teams will (in most cases) that they are still a VERY valuable asset to have

-Gsar_Mbr

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
I understand what you are saying, Gsar_Mbr.  Thanks, you are so right, the dogs, (like many other methods used), are an asset, but more than just dogs are required.   Many ways are used to find someone, and we can hope any one, or combination, are successful.

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 10:38:43 PM »
Just wanted to post to bump this topic back up as Harris Hill was a hunter and hunting season is again upon us. It is almost a year since this search and a good time to remind people of a person who is still out there and could be stumbled upon.

Gsar_Mbr

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 10:57:36 AM »
Yes, the hunting season is upon us once again. We do hope that everyone is very careful and is sure of what their target is.   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

daughter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »
Hello everyone,allow me to introduce myself,i am the youngest of Harris Hills children,one of his daughters.I do wish to thank you all for the comments and caring in all you have posted here,it was only just today actually that i found this as i rarely google up dads case as you can understand why i am sure,but today an event took place that brought it fresh home once again.
 To answer a few questions although answers  are few for us,i will say that it was definitely stated to us by the RCMP that there was no signs of foul play where Dad went missing.As for if he made it to the stand,i would say yesto that as the stand was within sight of his truck as he had the stand just feet from the road,i was there and seen it for myself..if any of you are wondering of his health,he was in better health than most of us,on no medication with the exception of artritic meds that he took.He was a very agile and mobile man,not one you wouldthink to be in his 80's.
 There is and always will be questions,the lack of closure,but i believe Dad seen a deer that day and followed it not realizing the darkness was falling and got turned in the woods.He would have been stubbron enough to keep walking which is what we the family believe he did as the very next morning in a different area ,miles from where he was supposed to be,men who knows my family spotted a man fitting Dads discription in an area  that was boggy and not one that is hunted,trying to cross the river at a very early hour.At the time these men were not aware of Dad being missing so thought nothing of it really,until they heard it on the radio and called it in, now the area was checked by air where the man was spotted but unfortunately they did not believe he could have gotten that far,the thing is..we knew Dad...he most certainly could have...that area being what it is,my brothers feel with his exaustion that he finally lost his battle there or got stuck in a bog....one way or the other we will never know, but i do wish to say that had there been a shooting there would have been blood and there was none.
 It has been over a year and still as fresh in my mind as if it were yesterday,there will be no peace until one day hopefully..an answer..Thankyou all ............i love you Dad

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 06:51:18 PM »
Welcome daughter. Thanks for being here, and for sharing with us about your dad. I can tell by your post that he was very special to you. Even though your family has no 'proof' of what happened to your dad it seems they have come to peace with what they believe. I hope your dad will be found.

Peace to you and to your family.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:44:52 AM by debbiec »

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 11:41:29 PM »
Daughter I know this is heart breaking for you and all of the family.  I pray he is found soon guess that is all we can do is pray

PEILady

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 12:33:36 AM »
Daughter...I am so sorry that this has happened to your family.  I pray he will be found very soon

daughter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
Still and forever missed, praying always that you will be found.
Love you Dad