Author Topic: unsolved murder of young girl outside of Atlin, BC  (Read 8241 times)

Alaskagirl

• View Profile
unsolved murder of young girl outside of Atlin, BC
« on: November 09, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »
I've visited Atlin, BC several times it is a lovely small community. Here is the story I was told.  I've seen her grave site in Atlin.

Her name was Monique Stewart. She disappeared in 1979 I think and was found in the mid 80's at a place called Tahrahne Gulch about 5 miles out of Atlin off the road.  She was about 13 or 14 years of age. I heard that she was either found hanged or strangled.  I've never been able to find out any information about her.

Anyone out there know something or what happened to this girl...why is she not an unsolved murder?

Thanks,
Alaskagirl
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:00:36 PM by Alaskagirl »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: unsolved murder of young girl outside of Atlin, BC
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »
This is confirmed to be unsolved? I never heard of it. It very well could be if it is unsolved, the reason I never heard of it might be because the police know who did it, and he is dead or something.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
I heard that she was either found hanged or strangled.  I've never been able to find out any information about her.

I tried to find some information on this young girl and so far, haven't had any luck. Your statement above about her being either hanged or strangled has made me wonder if this could possibly have been a suicide. That may explain why information is so hard to come by.

Alaskagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »
I can't find any information on her either.  I was hoping you could point me in a few directions on how to get information.  Other than her grave stone I can't find out anything about her.  She was a friend of some of my friends when they were teens.  They never felt they really got any answers either.

At first she was considered a runaway in 1979 until her body was found sometime in the early 80's. People were questioned as if it were a homocide. The last anyone saw of her was in town Atlin with a group of friends.  Apparently, she agrued with a friend of hers and walked off.  No one saw her after that. 

If it was suicide she would have had to walk 5miles off the Atlin road to do this and it doesn't make any sense. 

Thanks for any assistance.

Alaskagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
This was a death that occurred outside of Whitehorse in Atlin, BC.  I can't find anything on this other than the girls grave site and what some of her friends told me.

Her name was Monique Stewart. She disappeared in 1979 I think and was found in the mid 80's at a place called Tahrahne Gulch about 5 miles out of Atlin off the road.  She was about 13 or 14 years of age. I heard that she was either found hanged or strangled.  I've never been able to find out any information about her.

Anyone out there know something or what happened to this girl...why is she not an unsolved murder?

Thanks,
Alaskagirl

Alaskagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »
I'm going to find out and get back to you.  Thanks for looking into this for me...

Alaskagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 03:36:03 PM »
Hi Carol-Lynn,

Here's what I know about the cemeteries.  The is one called the Pioneer Cemetery, and there is a Native cemetery she is not in those.  She is in the newest one and I think it is called the "Atlin Cemetery."

I hope this helps...thanks again for looking into this.

Alaskagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »
I spoke with one of Monique Stewarts friends and got some new information.  On the night she disappeared there was a group of friends, which included Monique in a truck.  Monique (called Minnie) got into an agruement with one of the other girls named Barbie.  Monquie got mad and jumped out of the truck and started walking down the street in downtown Atlin this was in the summer 1979.  That was the last anyone ever saw of her until her body was found sometime in the early 80's. 

She was then found about 5miles out on one of the Atlin roads in a place called Tahrahne Gulch.  Her skeletal remains with some clothing and a belt was mentioned (perhaps around her neck...she was under a tree.)

About 10 years ago a RCMP agent came to Alaska to interview one of the people who was in the truck as a witness because they had not gotten to interview him prior.  This person was from the cold case squad so at that time it was still being investigated as homocide or why else would the cold case unit be investigating.  And they flew one of their agents to Alaska to question this witness.  However, we can still find no information of the case.

Hope someone out there can help...thank you.

Alaskagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
Carol,

You are resourceful...that is her headstone.  There was a bunch of her friends in the truck I would have to ask again how many but the truck was full and there was also people in the back of the truck.  She was seen by others walking out of town and hitchhiking at some point.

I found her brother on facebook and will ask if they would be willing to add her picture.  I have emailed him asking if I could ask him some questions regarding his sister's case.  I am new to this can you give me some relevant questions to ask him if her agrees?

Thank you.

Alaskagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
I gave her brother and few other people (friends of hers that were with her that day) the website and hopefully they will come on and add some information.