Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Cynthia Maas. MURDER Oct 09-2010-LC Gunn Park area in Prince George  (Read 5042 times)

Carol-Lynn

Prince George
RCMP investigating found human remains in the area of LC Gunn Park

File # 2010-30442
2010-10-09 21:00 PDT

The Prince George RCMP are currently conducting an investigation involving the discovery of found human .

A large area of the park is cordoned off by investigators in order to conduct a thorough ground search of the grounds and it's foot trails.

"At this time we can confirm that the body is that of a female. Numerous investigational resources from the Prince George RCMP General Investigation Section and RCMP North District Major Crimes Unit are involved at this point".

"This investigation commenced late Friday evening and we are currently looking at determining several key factors, which include confirmation of the woman's identity and whether foul play is a factor in her death" added Cpl Dan Moskaluk.

Media inquiries:

Cpl Dan Moskaluk is currently in Prince George to assist with media enquiries and is available via email or cellphone.

Please monitor bc.rcmp.ca for further updates.

Released by

Cpl. Dan Moskaluk
Senior Media Relations Officer
South East and North District
170 -395 Penno Road, Kelowna BC V1X-7W5
Office: (250) 863-7433 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (250) 863-7433      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Cell: (250) 863-7433 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (250) 863-7433      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Fax: (250) 491-2381
Email: dan.moskaluk@rcmp-grc.gc.ca
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:11:51 PM by Carol-Lynn »

solvy

• View Profile
Re: Human remains in the LC Gunn Park area in Prince George
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »
There are several young ladies missing from PG, recently.  Not sure if the rise in gang activities there is whats going on or something else.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:42:30 AM »
The Police have actually added manpower to for patrolling and investigating. Happy to hear they are serious.
I just wonder if one of those from Edmonton didn't move down the line after Svekla was incarcerated as I think there were a few deaths here after he was in jail.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »
I don't know if I should add my thoughts about this BUT hay why not it would not be the first time I get yelled at . :)

If in fact the person found is a sex trade worker, Then you should all ask yourselfs why would a worker take off from Edmonton and go to work in PG.  >:(

It was late when I wrote and I was tired; just rereading, I don't make sense. Sorry. I read another article stating that the area the remains were found was an area where sex trade workers were noted to be.
What I meant about Svekla, etc, was that after Svekla was incarcerated, there were still a few girls murdered in the Edmonton vicinity, iirc. So my belief is that Svekla was not the only murderer and whomever else was so heinous, could have moved on down the line, or up to PG where he may not be known so well. Police do say that happens frequently when the heat is on.
 I also believe Svekla was not a loner and worked in a small group, but he didn't rat anyone out and there was no one else jailed for the murders as far as I remember.
Also there's alot of ladies going missing in B.C. So I'm glad they have increased their manpower and stepping up security and it seems they may know more than they are saying, imo.

However if you prefer that I don't add my thoughts anymore, just tell me please.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:45:38 PM by SAP »

lost_souls

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »
I wonder if this discovery has a connection with the Highway of Tears. The RCMP has complained they have not enough funding for these cases, perhaps they will get some soon, now there is a recent discovery.
There are more than alot of missing and murdered women in this area. I just wish they could catch the person/person's responsible.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:56:47 PM »
AUTOPSY TAKING PLACE WEDNESDAY ON REMAINS FOUND NEAR LC GUNN PARK

Prince George, B.C.- An autopsy on the the body of a woman which was found near LC Gunn Park last Friday will be conducted tomorrow morning in Kamloops.

Corporal Dan Moskaluk, says the Prince George RCMP are continuing the investigation.

He says the investigators completed their examination of the remains on Saturday which were then sent to the Kamloops Royal Inland Hospital for post mortem examination.

Moskaluk says the autopsy will establish her identity and determine a cause of death.

Police say the area is known to be frequented by sex trade workers and they believe the death is suspicious.

Moskaluk says they have been in contact with some of the families of missing women from the city as the search for the victims identity is ongoing.

He urges anyone with information to call Prince George RCMP or Crime Stoppers.

Posted on October 12, 2010 by News Feed

http://hqprincegeorge.com/news/10754/AUTOPSY%20TAKING%20PLACE%20WEDNESDAY%20ON%20REMAINS%20FOUND%20NEAR%20LC%20GUNN%20PARK/

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »
Families await results of autopsy on woman’s body found near 'Highway of Tears'
Robert Matas
Vancouver— From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2010 8:17PM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2010 9:21PM EDT

Families of two missing women are anxiously awaiting results of an autopsy to be conducted Wednesday of a partially decomposed body discovered outside a Prince George park.

However, police on Tuesday said they could not confirm any link to the two missing women or to 18 other women who disappeared and are believed to have been slain along a stretch of Trans-Canada Highway known as the Highway of Tears.

“There is some sensitivity and awareness to the fact that we have this larger picture going on,” Corporal Dan Moskaluk said Tuesday in an interview.

The decomposed body was found on the edge of a dirt road running up a mountainside on the edge of L.C. Gunn park, southeast of the city. The park is located next to the Trans-Canada Highway. The road, used by mountain bikers and off-road enthusiasts, is also known as an area for prostitutes, Cpl. Moskaluk said.

Women who work as prostitutes have been speaking to police about the incident, he said. “People in the sex trade have approached officers and discussed this file this weekend,” Cpl. Moskaluk said. “They are all very concerned about what we are doing and if they can help.”

Plainclothes officers with a police dog found the body late Friday while conducting a foot search in a wooded area of the park as part of an unrelated investigation. The cause of death was not immediately obvious.

The officers could not tell whether the woman was killed at the spot or just dumped there after she was killed someplace else, Cpl. Moskaluk said. They have also been unable to tell whether she was one of the two recent missing women. “You are dealing with decomposed remains. It is not a matter of looking at a photo,” he said.

However, he raised doubts about whether the remains could be those of any of the women who disappeared years ago along the Highway of Tears. “These are not skeletal remains,” he said.

Police have been speaking to the families of two women who worked as prostitutes and were reported missing this fall in Prince George, he said.

Cynthia Frances Maas, a 35-year-old aboriginal woman with brown eyes and long brown hair, was last seen on Sept. 10 in Prince George. Her friends reported her as missing two weeks later. Police say her family and friends were concerned, as she normally had regular contact with them.

Natasha Lynn Montgomery, 23, was also reported missing in late September. Ms. Montgomery, who was from Quesnel, B.C., was seen in Prince George shortly before she went missing. She is a Caucasian woman with green eyes and brown hair.

Gladys Radek, the aunt of Tamara Chapman, who went missing along the Highway of Tears in 2005, said Tuesday she is still looking for answers about her niece. She had not spoken to the families of the Prince George women, but she knew what they were going through.

“They need time to absorb that it could be their daughter, sister, auntie or grandmother that is dead,” she said. “Right now, we have [two] families who are anticipating who this woman is. There is a lot of pain going on in that community, as there was when Tamara went missing.”

The police investigation into the decomposed body is headed by the Prince George RCMP general investigation section, assisted by the North District major crimes unit. A special investigative unit put together by the RCMP to investigate the missing and murdered women along the Highway of Tears, called Project E-Pana, have been consulted but they have not taken over the investigation.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/families-await-results-of-autopsy-on-womans-body-found-near-highway-of-tears/article1754320/

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »
Police have been speaking to the families of two women who worked as prostitutes and were reported missing this fall in Prince George, he said.

Cynthia Frances Maas, a 35-year-old aboriginal woman with brown eyes and long brown hair, was last seen on Sept. 10 in Prince George. Her friends reported her as missing two weeks later. Police say her family and friends were concerned, as she normally had regular contact with them.

Natasha Lynn Montgomery, 23, was also reported missing in late September. Ms. Montgomery, who was from Quesnel, B.C., was seen in Prince George shortly before she went missing. She is a Caucasian woman with green eyes and brown hair.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:34:55 PM by debbiec »

lost_souls

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:04:19 PM »
VANCOUVER — In their hunt to determine whether a serial killer is preying on girls and women along British Columbia’s roadways, investigators have identified 2,000 “persons of interest” in the so-called Highway of Tears investigation.

Project E-Pana, the joint RCMP-Vancouver police unit probing missing and murdered women along B.C. highways, has been tight-lipped about the high-profile investigation.

In his first extensive media interview, team commander Staff Sgt. Bruce Hulan revealed new details to The Vancouver Sun about a case that has generated much emotion and debate.

Until now, it has not been clear what criteria the RCMP used to draw up its list of 18 “Highway of Tears” victims, how it chose the geographical scope of the project and what headway has been made on possible suspects — including a person of interest targeted during a mysterious search this summer of a property in Prince George, B.C.

E-Pana began in 2005 with a review of three unsolved 1994 murders along northern B.C.’s Highway 16, but would soon expand its scope.

“We started doing the review but very early into it we recognized that, if we are looking for this serial killer, we’ll have to broaden our scope and have a look at other files,” Hulan said last week.

“I don’t think we’ll be able to say (whether there is a serial killer at play) until we’re at the point where we are satisfied that we have been successful in solving or charging in all 18 of the files, or the majority, or having determined what the circumstances were that led to the murders.”

To zero in on a suspect or suspects, police examined 619 unsolved files of violence against women along three highways, including murders and missing person cases, as well as sexual assaults and attempted sex assaults. A half-dozen of the cases are in the Hinton area of Alberta, about 280 kilometres west of Edmonton, while the majority are from B.C.

That file review, which wrapped up earlier this year, identified the 18 cases of missing and murdered women included on the official police list, as well as an additional 16 sex-crime cases that appeared very similar because the women were targeted on specific highways.

“Our purpose in reviewing the (sex crimes) files is to identify elements common to our homicide cases, which may assist us in identifying the person responsible,” said RCMP spokeswoman Cpl. Annie Linteau, who attended interview with Hulan.

Victims’ families and women’s advocates argue the official list should be much longer than 18 names, suggesting as many as twice that number of girls and women have met similar violence in northern and central B.C. over the past 40 years.

A Vancouver Sun investigation has uncovered 13 other victims who went missing or were murdered near a major roadway in B.C. or Alberta, who appear to be similar to the 18 on the official list and, in some cases, had been linked in the past to the “highway murders” by previous police investigations.

In some of the additional cases identified, Hulan argued the victims don’t meet the criteria the RCMP set for inclusion on the list. Victims must be female and match at least one of the two following scenarios: they were involved in a high-risk activity such as hitchhiking or the sex trade, or they were last seen — or their body was found — within a mile or so from three specific B.C. highways.

Hulan conceded other victims might potentially be linked to one or more of the women on the official list, but he added the RCMP had to make its investigation manageable, so it focused on a certain geographical area.

“There are other investigations out there that, when you look at them, would cause you to be concerned whether there are connections between them, but as I said before, we are constrained by resources,” Hulan said. “We couldn’t look at the entire province.”

The cases that are on the official list span: Highway 16 from Prince Rupert, B.C., all the way to Hinton; Highway 97 in British Columbia from Prince George to Kamloops; and Highway 5, which includes Merritt, B.C.

In addition to the 2,000 persons of interest identified in the cases reviewed by police, there is a secondary list of 5,000 people whose names surfaced in the files for various reasons. There have been common names in some files, Hulan said.

“With anyone identified in the files as a person of interest we do a background check and analysis on them, their criminal history and when they were in and out of custody and if they had the opportunity or not to commit the homicide.”

None of the 2,000 persons of interest has been identified, but in August police said a previous owner of a Prince George-area property they were searching was a person of interest in the disappearance of Highway of Tears victim Nicole Hoar.

Convicted murderer Leland Switzer, who has been in jail since 2005, previously owned the property.

Hulan revealed evidence was seized from the property and from a vehicle found at a nearby dump. The evidence is being analyzed for DNA and undergoing other testing.

E-Pana has also sent evidence recovered during the historical homicides to modern-day labs, which in some cases has created new leads and in other cases has ruled out past suspects.

It is often inaccurately reported that Nicole Hoar was the only non-native person on the Highway of Tears list, but The Sun determined eight of the 18 women and girls are non-native. Hulan estimated the list was half native and half non-native.

“These victims weren’t targeted because they were white or native or any other race, for that matter. They are victims because ... they were engaged in high-risk activity,” he said.

Hulan said it is possible detectives could provide some future answers for the families, but given that some files are four decades old, the perpetrators may no longer be alive.

“Is it likely we will be able to (make a) charge on all 18 of them? I’m doubtful about that.”

For some relatives, such as Kevin MacMillen, whose sister was killed near 100 Mile House, B.C., in 1974, being included on the Highway of Tears list has meant hope that the case is getting new attention.

“It was a great relief,” said MacMillen, who said he has always suspected the person who murdered Colleen had killed again, either before or after.

Brenda Wilson doesn’t like her sister Ramona’s name being on the list because of the negative connotations that her sister was doing something wrong the day she vanished from Smithers, B.C., in 1994.

“I think if there’s any justice that we receive it would be in finding answers to who did this to Ramona and why, and how can we prevent it from happening again, and just to see a change in the ways things are done with the investigation,” Brenda said.

For more, visit http://www.vancouversun.com/

I read another article that said the RCMP simply don't have enough funds to look for DNA matches in Cold Cases and that recent cases take priority. I have to say that with all the resources in today's society and the new forensics available. It is a sad state of affairs when money is stopping law enforcement from solving crimes.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 12:40:30 AM »
Global News Vancouver, reported tonight that a body found in LC Gunn Park has been identified as 35 year old Cynthia Frances Maas. She was last seen on Sept. 10 in Prince George. Her friends reported her missing two weeks later. Police are treating it as a suspicious death at this time, but  have not released the cause of death.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:32:29 AM by debbiec »

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »
RIP Cynthia!

Remains of missing B.C. woman ID'd

By QMI Agency

Prince George RCMP have identified the remains of a body found near LC Gunn Park on Oct. 8 as that of Cynthia Frances Maas.

Her death has been ruled as a homicide.

"The sole and most important fact that has been established, is that Cynthia Maas is a victim," said Cpl Dan Moskaluk in a statement. "Our duty and responsibility is to bring to justice, whomever is responsible for her death."

Maas. 35, was last seen alive on Sept. 10 and her body was found in an area frequented by those in the sex-trade. The RCMP say that a team of 30 to 40 investigators have been assigned to the investigation.

Two other women have been reported missing in Prince George in recent months. 

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2010/10/16/15716146.html

Livvy

• View Profile
Re: Cynthia Maas. MURDER Oct 09-2010-LC Gunn Park area in Prince George
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:38:56 AM »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »

Thanks for posting the link to the other article Livvy.  :)     

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 06:39:49 PM »
Thanks Livvy and welcome

It is interesting to note from the article that 2 police officers , one from Vanderhoof and one from Fort St James rondevued   sp? on hwy 27 to meet half way.   Wonder if this was a common nights event, or did they have cause to make the trip this night?

gumpslou

• Forever changed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 07:46:37 PM »
Hello,

I am Natasha Lynn Montgomery's mother she went missing around the same time as Cynthia... My heart goes out to the Maas family!!! Why I am posting here is I am trying to get the pictures of Natasha replace with a picture that serves her justice. Unfortunately the police were provided with a nice pic but for some reason they used her mug shot... =( debbiec can you please  replace the pic u posted with the new one at rcmpbc website. Thank you!

Lou

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here