Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Ernest Fenwick MacIntosh - Pedophile - Nova Scotia  (Read 18444 times)

bar1061

• View Profile
Re: Ernest Fenwick MacIntosh - Pedophile - Nova Scotia
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
yes it's a leaning experience for sure,, for me it's been hard but I am Finaly free of the pain ,, well free to deal with it,, I'm now working with a abuse victims group and plan to help others . and by this one learns to understand you are not alone,,,    What our fight now is with change,, maybe not in our life time but our kids their kids will have tool to coup,to understand the signs understand what kind of epidemic sexual abuse is,,, to say we will wipe it off the face of the earth is unrealistic  but we can instill a society that will not tolerate these acts,,,  I for one live in the USA,,and although we have a lot of problems here in other areas ,, we have a system that can deal with criminals on a much different scale ,,,    which Canada lacks,,    we need to put acts of sexual abuse on the same scale as murder,, rape,, etc,,  because they
 are on the same scale...       I have a Facebook page ,,, Nova Scotia justice system has failed society""    check it out,, there is a lot of info about this case and others,,   please   LIKE the page to join,, we need the support ,,,

SNAP

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »
Well hello everyone,

My name is Dave Mantin and I am the Atlantic Canada SNAP Director and we stand behind these victims in the MacIntosh case and for all the victims that are still suffering, I have noticed some of my articles here on your site to shine public attention to the problem with this case and how all cases are handled in N.S.

We here at SNAP are victims helping victims through the rough process, and to ensure that justice will be done in the case, that is why we have stepped into the MacInstosh case and demanded a federal public inquiry to get to the truth of the cover ups and lies that these victims were told.

We are also reaching out to all victims of sexual abuse to contact us and together we can help to get you through these times.  Bar1061, I have mentioned many times on the phone how glad I am that you have stepped forward and bringing this into the public eye and we here at SNAP will ensure that it will not go away.l

Dave Mantin
Atlantic Canada SNAP Director
snapmantin@gmail.com
http://snapatlantic.tk
(506) 977 4627

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 02:13:24 PM »
Dave,

I would like to be the first to welcome you to this site and I thank you for all that you do to help the people who are abused.

TKS, MW

Trouble445

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/56321-ns-appeal-fenwick-macintosh-ruling-countrys-top-court
N.S. to appeal Fenwick MacIntosh ruling to country's top court
January 27, 2012 - 10:45am

Nova Scotia’s public prosecution service will appeal the Fenwick MacIntosh case to the Supreme Court of Canada.

The former Port Hawkesbury businessman’s convictions on 17 charges of indecent assault and gross indecency were stayed by the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal in December.

A panel of judges ruled unanimously that his right to be tried within a reasonable period of time was infringed and that victim testimony wasn’t conclusive.

"After a careful legal analysis of the Court of Appeal's decision, we believe we have legal grounds involving issues of public importance which warrant consideration by the Supreme Court of Canada," Martin Herschorn, director of public prosecutions, said in a news release Friday morning.

In the days after the ruling, MacIntosh’s alleged victims were outraged, demanding an inquiry into why it took until 2007 to extradite him from India when a Canada-wide warrant was issued for his arrest in 1996. The alleged assaults took place during the 1970s.

A 2009 Toronto Star article by freelance reporter Matt McClure contained accusations that MacIntosh was banned from two orphanages in India for abusing boys during this period.

Despite the warrant, Passport Canada renewed MacIntosh’s passport twice.

Charges were first brought against MacIntosh in 1995, nearly 15 years before he went to trial in Port Hawkesbury in July 2010.

In 1995, he was living in India as vice-president of a cellphone company. His passport was later extended, and he would not be extradited to Canada until 2007.

He was convicted and sentenced to five and a half years in prison.

MacIntosh appealed and the panel of judges ruled that his right to be tried within a reasonable time was violated.

The Nova Scotia crown will file its application for appeal on Feb. 6.

***An appeal of that ruling is a very welcome bit of news.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »
Unfortunate, but yes, let's hope the Appeal will go through.   
Perhaps instead of banning Fen from the Orphanages, India should have charged him too.

Hopefully they will keep a close eye on this guy, once a pedo always a pedo.

Trouble445

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »
Unfortunate, but yes, let's hope the Appeal will go through.   
Perhaps instead of banning Fen from the Orphanages, India should have charged him too.

Hopefully they will keep a close eye on this guy, once a pedo always a pedo.

Could not have said it better jobo.

bar1061

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2012, 08:10:52 PM »
 It's really early to say if  the crown could even win this appeal ,let alone be given a chance to be heard in the supreme court of Canada..  The mistakes made are many,so they have their hands full. I'm not expecting much really. They are  in a position to try ,but that is meaningless at this point.. Can they win is the question.   So for now Macintosh is free to roam here to do as he pleases. Is Sydney NS the home of his next victim? hmm I wonder. Or is he reformed. Has any pediphile ever been reformed.  I say NO,, I say there are many victims still out there .Lets hope at some point they have their crack at him.. One day someone will get you,, o I just hope this happeneds soon before he  has any new victims..   Don't forget your slippers FEN ,Bubba is waiting for ya in cell block c     one day  one day
maybe.....

Trouble445

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 08:29:17 PM »
I sincerely hope that there is an Inquiry into this!
We need to know what happened in the past, what mistakes were made, who made the mistakes, and why it happened, to prevent crimes like this from happening in future.
Accountability means quite a bit to the survivors as well as the general public.

Trouble445

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 11:19:15 PM »
"Shakes in disbelief" while reading this:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/68329-ottawa-no-macintosh-probe

Ottawa: No MacIntosh probe
February 29, 2012 - 4:30am
The federal government says there will be no inquiry into why it took over a decade to bring Ernest Fenwick MacIntosh to trial as long as the province is continuing its legal proceedings against the one-time Port Hawkesbury businessman.

In a Feb. 21 letter to Cape Breton-Canso MP Rodger Cuzner, federal Justice Minister Rob Nicholson wrote it "would not be appropriate" to consider an inquiry while the Supreme Court of Canada is pondering the province’s request for an appeal of a Nova Scotia Court of Appeal ruling.

That decision last Dec. 8 stayed MacIntosh’s 18 convictions for gross indecency and indecent assault, citing the years-long delay in bringing him to trial and credibility issues among the complainants.

The Supreme Court is expected to decide by spring whether to hear the province’s appeal.

"The justice minister didn’t dismiss an inquiry outright, so I am somewhat encouraged," Cuzner said Tuesday. "I can understand him not wanting to have a parallel process, with the court case and inquiry running at the same time."

MacIntosh’s alleged victims had lobbied since 1996, when a Canada-wide warrant was issued for his arrest, to either have his passport cancelled or have him extradited back to Canada from India, where he was working as a communications executive. He was eventually brought back in 2007 and stood trial in 2010 in Port Hawkesbury.

"The reason why the ministry of justice and Passport Canada have refused to look into this themselves is because it would be like cutting their own throats," one of MacIntosh’s alleged victims, known as D.S., said Monday. The man’s name is protected by court order.

"They know there are people in their departments guilty of negligence for allowing MacIntosh to travel so long around the world."

Despite the arrest warrant, Passport Canada renewed

MacIntosh’s passport in 1997 and again in 2002. An attempt to cancel the passport in 1997 failed when a Justice Department lawyer couldn’t come up with a copy of the arrest warrant.

"The judge gave the Department of Justice three or four weeks to produce the warrant, which it didn’t do," Gar Pardy, a former director general of consular services at the Foreign Affairs Department in Ottawa, said Tuesday. "The next thing we hear, there’s an agreement between the Justice Department and MacIntosh’s lawyer to withdraw the passport cancellation.

"It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever."

Although the extradition process began in Ottawa in 1998, it wasn’t until July 2006 that a formal package was sent to India, according to court documents. The information had been ready since 2003.

A Toronto Star story in 2007 said MacIntosh had been barred from two orphanages in India after officials heard allegations he had sexually abused boys while taking them on trips.

The accusation infuriates D.S., who blames justice and Passport Canada bureaucrats in Canada.

"I think they should be held personally accountable for the boys who were (allegedly) violated in India while (the bureaucrats) were doing nothing," he said.

Pardy, who has long since retired, said an inquiry will be needed eventually so failures in the justice system can be identified and fixed.

** I do suppose they do have to wait for the appeal process to be completed but they really NEED an inquiry into this matter.......

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
** I do suppose they do have to wait for the appeal process to be completed but they really NEED an inquiry into this matter.......

Amen to that Trouble!!!!! >:(

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 12:37:33 AM »
the Canadian justice system let the disadvantage people of India down by allowing this criminal to have a field day sexually abusing financially vulnerable children for years in India.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 06:48:27 AM »
In the news today....it's saying MacIntosh was just arrested in Nepal.....
Our Justice system dropped the ball.....now there is more victims.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 03:28:15 AM »
Thanks, lostlinganer. 
I see by your link, that he was given seven years in jail.  Not quite long enough, but let's hope that's the end of him.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 08:18:34 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/how-canada-came-to-export-a-sex-offender/ar-BBieoub?ocid=iehp

Excellent article by Macleans.

How Canada came to export a sex offender

Anne Kingston

7 hrs ago