Author Topic: Thought I Had Heard It All  (Read 1079 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Thought I Had Heard It All
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:22:39 AM »
Man charged with 2 counts of indecently assaulting human remains in Nunavut
By: The Canadian Press
Posted: 14/09/2010 4:10 PM
BAKER LAKE, Nunavut - A Nunavut man has been charged with indecently interfering with human remains after two graves were dug up in a remote Arctic community earlier this summer.

Nunavut RCMP say a suspect was arrested Monday after DNA tests on bodily fluids found at the graves. Sgt. Jimmy Akavak confirmed the charges involve sexual activity.

"That's the allegation at this point, yes," he said. "I've been instructed not to release the details on it."

The suspect was arrested in Baker Lake shortly after the test results came back.

Police allege that the desecrations took place on June 5 and June 6 in Baker Lake, which is in the central Arctic.
At the time, RCMP confirmed coffins had been opened and the contents disturbed. Relatives of the deceased had offered a $10,000 reward for any information on the crime, but it was unclear Tuesday if the reward had been claimed.

....Baker Lake resident Bobby Suwarak made his first court appearance on Monday and was expected to appear in court in Baker Lake again Wednesday.

He faces two counts of indecently interfering with human remains. The maximum penalty is five years in prison.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/man-charged-with-2-counts-of-indecently-assaulting-human-remains-in-nunavut-102900464.html