Author Topic: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 1  (Read 651339 times)

soccermom

Re: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 1
« Reply #1635 on: February 13, 2012, 06:41:33 AM »
Hi jellybean --

It's hard to find any comfort with Sonia's murder still unsolved, but I think I find the suggestion that hers was a "stand alone" crime a little easier, if only in the hope that whoever committed this horrendous crime won't strike again. So I hope you're right.  But in my mind, Sonia's murder is connected to Audrey Gleave's death and possibly to others as well. There is a poster on the page I started for the missing US woman (Fairfield, Ohio) Katelyn Markham named Buster who noticed that for all the women who match a profile (petitte and blond) who have been missing or murdered along that region (ish) since 2009 (all for whom journalists seem to suggest a serial connection) there's always a number three in the dates. You can read Buster's post on Katelyn's page. I read this comment at http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981076363
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:45:59 AM by soccermom »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 23, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
Soccermom.  This is not "too far out" at all.  Anything is possible in my opinion.  There is one difference between Audrey and Sonia.  Sonia was removed from her home, Audrey was not.
Not one word has been given out by either law enforcements since their deaths. The mystery continues.......
Even though Orangeville police, and the OPP said that there was no connection to Sonia and the brutal beating of the woman in Mono, (Not one word from them as to her attacker either), it makes me wonder at times if these two are indeed connected.
Both of them were similar in appearance, both lived in the general area, her husband was in nurses training at the time of her attack.  This was also risky behaviour as she was attacked in the daylight hours. She also did not have any known enemies.

However, here is a video (one year after her death, with an interview of a reporter who has been following her story since day one.)
http://www.torontosun.com/videos/money/money/1225519524001/unsolved-sonia-varaschin/1135861702001
JB
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:43:26 PM by jellybean »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 23, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »

joojoo

« Reply #1638 on: February 23, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »
Just trying to put things together as these cases are disturbing---I do believe that Sonia and Audrey are related cases, the scenarios could be different because the perp has learned from the previous crime(Sonia) and chose to leave the body in  the home in the latter case (Audrey) because he panicked with the first and after going through the ordeal of trying to hide Sonia and she was found fairly quickly he thought it wasn't worth the chance again. Also woods/rural seem to be a common link. I find it does have a flow as Sonia was taken to a wooded area from her home, Shelley L. was attacked in her home in a wooded area and Audrey was killed in her home in a wooded area. I hope LE can put DNA together and find out if this is the case and someone is arrested soon. Too long with no arrests or answers and more time for the perp?s? to continue in their sick ways. Let's pray for a break stat.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 23, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »
I guess I am sticking with my orignial opinion that the person who killed Sonia was much closer to her than we realize.  Just a gut feeling.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »
Here is a recent article in the TO Sun.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/01/loving-tribute-for-lost-friend

Also, her townhouse belonged to a condo corporation.  Perhaps this may also be considered.

Read it in one of the TO Sun articles.

JB

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 24, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »
Jb not sure where you got the idea that her home was owned by a condo corp.  She owned her town house , and the family put it up for sale after her death.  A condo corp builds the town houses and does the maintenance for a monthly maintenance fee but the people own their town houses just as Sonia did.

sunshine11

• View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 25, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »
Jobo - they were indeed. It is so close to everything that has happened - Sonia, Kyra. Only confirmation so far is that the skull was that of a woman. Hmmm.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: February 26, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
Is it just me or do these photos look alike?  One is the POI in the SL (the woman viciously beaten on Mono) case, and the other is the person arrested in and charged (case is in the court system now) for the first degree murder and performing an indignity on a human being, in the case of Alexandra Flanagan. Andrew Keene the accused is 29 and from Innisfil. He was arrested and charged on October 20, 2011. SL was viciously attacked and left for dead in her home/studio on December 7, 2010. Alexandra Flanagan was missing from her home (pot on stove still cooking) July 8, 2007. Her remains were found in three different locations near wooded areas.

I'm just wondering what size shoe Andrew wears. And, whether he has any DNA in the system yet? As I wonder if SL, and SV and AF all have DNA evidence of some sort.

Common theme vicious violence against women.

For more information:
http://www.orangeville.com/news/local/article/1261834--search-for-attempted-murderer-reaches-one-year-mark
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3342324&archive=true

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 26, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
Sorry Eyes, I should have said that Sonia belonged to the Condo Association of 5 Spring Street.  I used a wrong word there. lol.
Here is a link.
http://www.orangeville.org/cms/documents/4005/May_16_Council_Agenda_Pkg_WEB.pdf
Look to the left hand side and scroll down to item 10.1 -  Spring Street and you will find a letter sent to Council from the Association regarding a need for a security fence due to Sonia's murder.

Would maintenance be provided in this type of thing, which would require maintenace workers?  I am not familiar with condo associations and town houses.
jb

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:03:07 PM by jellybean »

Dew

• View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 26, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »
Hi, Concerned.

At first I thought, no, no resemblance.  After looking closer, yes, I do see it.  The description accompanying the SL POI composite notes "reddish/orange" hair, which it appears AK does not have.  But, notice the red in AK's beard in this pic:

ps:  I am thinking of you as we await the Caledon identification.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: February 26, 2012, 09:12:49 PM »
Dew,

I didn't think about the red hair. Hmmm..  The resemblance I saw was in the positioning of the eyes. The hair springs fanning out on the forehead with receding hairline, hair over the ears, the fairly large chin, the bumps on the sides of the bottom lip, and the crook in the nose.  I wonder when he grew a beard?  I wonder what is known about this guy. I really want to know his shoe size.

Dew, I'm thinking they really need to have groups scour those wooded areas when the weather clears. I'm just wondering if others will be found. And, if so, whether together they will tell a story. At least perhaps some answers for families.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:34:55 AM by Concerned »

art-hu

• View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: February 26, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »
I guess I am sticking with my orignial opinion that the person who killed Sonia was much closer to her than we realize.  Just a gut feeling.
[/quote/]

I agree eyes, close to her as in friends. Someone she knew, she let them in.
Both doors were open on the car. Therefore more than one perp.

Dew

• View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: February 26, 2012, 10:02:49 PM »
Concerned,

I saw the facial similarities as you did.  Also, the physical description, age, weight, etc. seem to be close. 
Yes, I'd like to know his shoe size, too.

Art Hu,
How do we know the doors were left open by the perp(s)?  LE, as far as I know, have not confirmed this.  Media would have - or I should say, most likely would have - arrived on scene after LE, so it's entirely possible (and in my view, probable) that LE opened the doors and perhaps trunk.  I posted awhile back that a sister of one of the fired employees at the "tack shop" (the 2 women who observed and reported the state of the car) says the car was "not necessarily found in that condition", ie, with the doors/trunk open. 

ETA:  Concerned, YES... the hair style!!   Looks identical to the composite sketch.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:09:23 PM by Dew »

art-hu

• View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: February 26, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »
You have a point Dew, but I think, the vehicle was parked and likeley not touched or moved by anyone till forensics were finnished with it. They would close the doors to move it. Who knows, maybe media got there soon after.? Just say the doors were open,? that could mean more than one perp.? and they didn't want to make a sound therefore not closing the car doors. Their vehicle was close by.