Author Topic: Carol Hodge | 64 | Missing | Peterborough | August 9, 2010  (Read 16791 times)

Woodland

• View Profile
Re: Carol Hodge | 64 | Missing | Peterborough | August 9, 2010
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2010, 06:41:41 AM »
The alarm was first raised about Carol on 7 August (Saturday) when her sister had not been able to reach her during the week prior to 7 August.

Other family left messages 7 and 8 August but did not make the drive to her house to check on her on the Sunday.  It's easy to find neighbours now using 411, maybe not everyone knows that feature.  Instead police were called on Monday to check on Carol and found the dog and a pile of newspapers.

It must be difficult to determine exactly when Carol left her home, including the time of day.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2010, 07:28:08 AM »
I would like more info too....as to where her car went into the Otonobee River.   Peterborough is a busy little city...where did her car go off the road and into the river, where no one saw??
I don't find the dog in the bedroom too suspicious....although I lock mine out of the bedrooms..as I don't want him peeing on the carpet (yes, the buggar does)...
But some people might opt to do that, to keep him contained and relaxed while they go out on errands.
I had read that sometimes Carol goes to Curve Lk., shopping.  If she was a smoker, she probably got her smokes there....and the family would know that info, and whether or not she needed them. Usually when people drive up there for smokes, they take orders from friends and family...    Perhaps she was going there that day, and just put the dog in the room for a few hours.   That's all it would take her to go there and back.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »
Not much info on Carol since she was identified, which is all that has been released from the autopsy.

Was she released for burial?

An explanation of how she ended up in her car in a river with no witnesses seems in order.  Hopefully her son will allow that to be released soon.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
W, I had read this on Carol, from the son's interview since Carol was found. Even though the cause of death has yet to be determined, as well as how the vehicle got in the water, the son says he is relieved that it was an accident.  The investigation is pending toxicology reports, still.

Ordeal over for family after police confirm woman's death
News
By SARAH DEETH , EXAMINER POLICE WRITER
Posted 11 days ago

Michael Hodge realized about six weeks ago his mother, Carol Hodge, likely wouldn't be coming home.

Mrs. Hodge was reported missing Aug. 9 and city police launched an extensive investigation, speaking with Michael about every three days.

It was her son who had called police and asked them to check on Mrs. Hodge, 64, after he hadn't heard from her for about two weeks.

At first, he said, he thought his mother had gone on a road trip or decided to take a break from people.
He thought when she returned she'd be angry that her hiatus had caused such a fuss, he said.

But as the weeks wore on, the conversations he had with investigators took on a different tone.

"I knew, at this point, that this was a case where she was somewhere where she wasn't able to let people know where she was," he said.

"The odds were really stacked against a more joyous outcome."

She was found in her car in the Otonabee River on Oct. 30 after an OPP helicopter spotted the vehicle just north of the dam at Trent University.

Autopsy results confirmed Friday the body found inside the vehicle was that of Mrs. Hodge.

Speaking with The Examiner on Monday morning, Hodge said he has mixed feelings.

"You're relieved it's over, but it's not the outcome you wanted," he said.

The weeks of worrying, the stress of a missing person's investigation, the waiting and the constant unknown aren't something that he'd wish on anyone, he said.

"The whole thing has been exhausting," Michael said. "It drains you, emotionally."

But, he said, there is a sense of relief.

A cause of death hasn't been determined. Investigators haven't determined how the car got into the river. Foul play isn't suspected.

Hodge said he hopes his mother was unconscious when the car went into the river.

"The only thing that vexes my sleep is whether she had to struggle in the car," he said.

Many different outcomes ran through his mind, he said, some of them much worse than others.

This, he said, was one of the better ones.

"It was an accident," Hodge said. "Thank God, it was just an accident."

City police Staff Sgt. John Lyons said police are waiting for the results of a toxicology report from the Centre of Forensic Science.

That information could take months to receive, he said, but it could help determine the cause of death.

Investigators are still trying to determine how Mrs. Hodge's car wound up in the Otonabee and spent a part of last week searching the shores of the Otonabee.

Answering those questions is part of the investigation, but Lyons said there's a chance police may never get definitive answers.

Officers will keep investigating until they've exhausted all possible leads, he said.

NOTE: Services for Carol Hodge are being held Thursday at the Turner and Porter Chapel at 2180 Hurontario St. in Mississauga. Friends are welcome to arrive at 2 p.m. A memorial service takes place at 3 p.m.

sdeeth@peterboroughexaminer.com
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2837189

Obituary:
http://yourlifemoments.ca/sitepages/obituary.asp?oid=437738

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:06:07 PM by Concerned »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2010, 06:37:54 PM »
Thanks Concerned.

I'm wondering why officers will continue to investigate when the son has determined this to be an accident ahead of the ME determining the COD, completed toxicology reports and LE determining how her vehicle ended up in the river without any witnesses.

Good for LE.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2010, 05:57:26 PM »
If you go up County Rd #32 just north of Trent University, the Otonobee River runs pretty close to the road in spots, and there isn't guardrails in some areas. 

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2011, 11:14:05 AM »
Any determination on the cause of death? What did completed toxicology reports say?