Author Topic: Carol Hodge | 64 | Missing | Peterborough | August 9, 2010  (Read 16857 times)

jobo

• View Profile
Re: Carol Hodge | 64 | Missing | Peterborough | August 9, 2010
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »
Everytime I go out, I look for Carol's car.   I have the license plate memorized.   
The dog is on my mind too.     Some people will put their dog in another room, so they can answer their door without a huge commotion from the dog.
Others put their dog in a room when they go out.
Another thing, what if the dog went into the bedroom and the door closed behind him?   And he couldn't get out.   Yes, I have had dogs do this. 
We need to know what was Carol's usual procedure with her dog?

amIam

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »
One has to be so very careful with identity theft, I am sorry your hubby had to go through all of this.  It's a great turmoil and one must to be so very wary.  I hope he managed to reassume his good credit rating. 
Personally, I shred and or burn anything where my name appears.  I split the shredded paperwork into two piles and NEVER put them out on the same recycling day.
I know of someone who recently registered for online banking and rec'd one of those phishing emails, he responded and 80 grand was removed from his bank account.  In the end TD covered his losses as all CDN banks do ( by law) up to 100 grand. 
However, I am surprised that if LE had any idea as to where this Mercedes went..why couldn't they make an arrest..of sorts??

In early 2001 my husband was a victim of identity theft - some guy drove out of a car lot in Toronto behind the wheel of a $48,000 Mercedes using his good name and good credit.

It's never been found.

At the time, LE figured that by the following day in was on a boat and landed somewhere between Eastern Europe and Russia.

Stuff happens.  VIN or no VIN.

amIam

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
Jobo, there is very little info as it always seems to be there is really nothing background wise to add to yet another missing single older woman in Ontario, with grown children, who live elsewhere and check in from time to time.

Everytime I go out, I look for Carol's car.   I have the license plate memorized.   
The dog is on my mind too.     Some people will put their dog in another room, so they can answer their door without a huge commotion from the dog.
Others put their dog in a room when they go out.
Another thing, what if the dog went into the bedroom and the door closed behind him?   And he couldn't get out.   Yes, I have had dogs do this. 
We need to know what was Carol's usual procedure with her dog?

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 05:25:44 PM »
It's irrelevant to Carol's thead but there was an arrest - the brazen a-hole called the car lot a couple of days later to say that his friend really likes the car and made an appointment to bring him down to see one.  LE attended the appointment as well.  The car lot ended up eating the cost.  Hubby's a newfie by birth - a rather alert person noticed that the gene pool of the guy that drove off in the Mercedes didn't match that of The Rock in the 50's.

Getting back to Carol - her car could be anywhere - even right under everyone's nose.  Painted, a different plate, wrecking yard or shipped anywhere in the 24,500 mile circumference of the the plant.

Just as intriguing is where is her purse and ID?

amIam

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »
Yes..it's far irrelevant to Carol's thread but you commented regarding stolen vehicles, your Newfie husband, stolen identity and costs incurred.  I am glad it all worked out and there was an arrest.  Being a Newf myself, I have always been partial to their observations.  For that matter anyone from the East Coast....

Carol's car could be anywhere, painted any color and bedecked with stolen plates.

My son's truck was stolen a few years back,,right out his driveway, it was cute little short boz side step '89 GMC, the cops here have never found it..the VIN is also registered.  Such joke as with nost everything else in Ontario regarding LE.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »
Attached is an article from 4 September 2010 where police indicate it looks like Carol had just gone out for a short time and disappeared.  If so, she would have taken her purse which imo is why it was difficult to raise the alarm immediately.

http://www.northumberlandnews.com/news/northumberlandcountynews/article/161189

Besides the dog locked in a room, her TV and some lights were on - indicating she left after dark or was intending to get back after dark?

I'm wondering if she was called out by someone she knew with a ruse similar to 'my car broke down, can you pick me up'?

Leaving of her own accord would not raise any concerns with anyone noticing her drive away - everything would appear normal.  Trying to think back days later when exactly the last time you saw a neighbor could difficult - sometimes you see them and wave, sometimes you don't.

Also attached is a twitter alert from CHEX news stating police have made a change in direction in the search for Carol.  Does anyone know what that was?

http://twitter.com/CHEXNewsWatch/status/22202615145

By now, someone else will have to care for her property, finances, bills etc.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 12:50:25 PM »
When was that newscast supposed to be, what date?? I wonder too what is the different direction they are looking at here. I don't think she would leave her beloved pet without food in a room, if she was contemplating suicide, if that is what the direction is. Hard to know what was going on here and how people disappear without a trace. I am going to be posting a case on here, a new thread related to a person who went missing 20 years ago in North Wales. I know that is a world away from us, but very strange circumstances and she was never found. This has to be very hard on the family members when they cannot find where Carol is. :o :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:14:02 PM by capeheart »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 01:21:51 PM »
26 August 2010.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 01:44:10 PM »
Here you go W. Interesting last sentence.

Known sex offenders to be interviewed in disappearance
By SARAH DEETH , EXAMINER POLICE WRITER
Posted 3 days ago

City police will be digging into the backgrounds of people who knew Carol Hodge and knocking on the doors of known sex offenders as they continue their search for the missing 64- year-old.

It has been six weeks since Hodge was reported missing, seemingly vanishing.

No one has seen any trace of the resident since at least Aug. 9. Investigators say she hasn't accessed her bank account, or used any credit cards.

Her vehicle, a silver Honda Civic, has also disappeared.

City police Sgt. Deb Gillis said speaking with known offenders and examining backgrounds of Hodge's associates is just another part of the investigation.

Police still have no reason to suspect any foul play, she said.

A recently released photo-graph of Hodge in a blue hat was taken July 28 at a bank, Gillis said.

Hodge's son called city police to check on Hodge after he hadn't heard from her for about two weeks.

When officers arrived to check her north-end home they found her dog shut in the master bedro om with no extra food or water.

The television in that room was on and a pile of newspapers was at the front door.

Her missing car continues to aggravate the investigation. Police have said that a vehicle, found in a parking lot or on the side of the road, can be a good indicator of where investigators should look.
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2767790

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 01:54:58 PM »
Thanks, Woodland.

amIam

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »
No one seems to have any clue as to when Carol disappeared, surely the piled up newspapers could give an approximate time.  And then there is her dog..food they can do without but not
water.  Was it near death when rescued?  This seems much similar to Penny Warne, her little dog was her buddy and yet found outside in the bitter Feb. cold and yet seemingly with no apparent ill effects. 

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 03:19:35 PM »
Thanks C I missed the sex offender interview article.  This article tells me LE is doing alot here - nothing we will hear about in the short term.

Her missing car would definitely aggravate the investigation.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 07:35:20 PM »
Good going there Am, definite clue would be the dates on the newspapers and it would then have the exact date of when she went missing and would narrow it down. I posted a while back that I was wondering if there were any sex offenders living in her neighbourhood. I am glad to know the police are checking that out.

amIam

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »
C, what is the date of the article below?
The article you posted states, no activity regarding Carol's bank accounts or credit cards since Aug 9th, the last time Carol was sighted.

City police, Sgt.  Debbie Gilles goes on to say LE at this point have no reason to suspect
foul play.

Am wondering why the interest in interviewing known sex offenders " in the area" is of a priority when there is supposedly no reason to suspect foul play?

LE probably has no idea who is in their midst..as is the norm. 

Known sex offenders to be interviewed in disappearance
By SARAH DEETH , EXAMINER POLICE WRITER
Posted 3 days ago

City police will be digging into the backgrounds of people who knew Carol Hodge and knocking on the doors of known sex offenders as they continue their search for the missing 64- year-old.

It has been six weeks since Hodge was reported missing, seemingly vanishing.

No one has seen any trace of the resident since at least Aug. 9. Investigators say she hasn't accessed her bank account, or used any credit cards.

Her vehicle, a silver Honda Civic, has also disappeared.

City police Sgt. Deb Gillis said speaking with known offenders and examining backgrounds of Hodge's associates is just another part of the investigation.

Police still have no reason to suspect any foul play, she said.

A recently released photo-graph of Hodge in a blue hat was taken July 28 at a bank, Gillis said.

Hodge's son called city police to check on Hodge after he hadn't heard from her for about two weeks.

When officers arrived to check her north-end home they found her dog shut in the master bedro om with no extra food or water.

The television in that room was on and a pile of newspapers was at the front door.

Her missing car continues to aggravate the investigation. Police have said that a vehicle, found in a parking lot or on the side of the road, can be a good indicator of where investigators should look.
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2767790

[/quote]

amIam

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 03:07:35 PM »
Cape, way too little info in my opinion has been released by LE.  I doubt much that a sex offender went to the trouble of abducting Carol from her home as there was no sign of a struggle.  seemingly. it was as if she ran off suddenly to run a last minute forgotten errand and something happened along the way.
As per usual, in cases such as these, there are the veiled comments that tend to elude to a certain degree of inside knowledge...which as a rule never has a basis.