Author Topic: Carol Hodge | 64 | Missing | Peterborough | August 9, 2010  (Read 16873 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Carol Hodge | 64 | Missing | Peterborough | August 9, 2010
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:04:55 PM »
Another senior woman, missing from her home. Regular life. Hopes and prayers to her family.

Woman's family worried

Local News

Posted By SARAH DEETH
Where is Carol Hodge?
The prolonged disappearance of the 64-year-old woman continues to baffle family members, her son, Mike, told The Examiner Wednesday.

As time marches on, concern about her disappearance grows.

Mike and his wife Lisa have been making trips to the city from Hamilton for the past 10 days.

On Wednesday the two were putting up missing-person posters in high-traffic areas throughout the city.

So far, he said, he has no sense that something bad has happened.

But his worries are starting to take root, he said, and conversations with police are taking a different tone.

It was Mike who phoned city police Aug. 9 and asked them to check on Carol.

He and his mom chat on the phone every two weeks. Carol and her sister talk more often, about twice a week.

Around Aug. 7 Carol's sister called, Mike said, and asked if he'd heard from her.

The two began leaving phone messages, he said, and when none of them were returned, he phoned police.

Initially, officers went over to check and make sure everything was all right.

Mike said he thought that his mom had just gone out and forgotten to tell someone.

City police Staff Sgt. John Lyons said police found nothing untoward at the house.

But there was a pile of newspapers at the front door, he said.

Her dog was found shut in the main bedroom with no extra food or water. The television in the bedroom was on and so were some of the lights.

That was a Monday and police returned again to check Tuesday. There was still no sign of Carol.

By Wednesday Mike arrived in the city to pick up the dog. That's when the search for his mom really began.

Everything looked like she had left to go run a few errands, Mike said.

"The key is that she left the dog behind, which is really unusual," he said. "It doesn't look like she meant to leave home for a long time."

On Saturday the two returned to the city and went through the house with the police.

Both Lisa and Mike said they felt like Carol wasn't really missing, that she'd drive up any second and berate them for going through her house.

It feels, Lisa said, like there's just something they're missing, a puzzle piece that can explain her disappearance perfectly.

Carol and her husband Tom moved to the city in the mid- 1970s. He died about a decade ago. Mike grew up in the city, moving away in 1992 to go to school.

Carol used to work at Purolator, Mike said, retiring about seven or eight years ago.

Since then she has dabbled in a couple of different things, Lisa said.

Carol likes decorating, landscaping and working around her house. She took classes at Fleming College once, Lisa said.

She was also a private person, Mike said, who liked to stay in and around her house.

She had a computer but Mike said she wasn't proficient with it, preferring to use it to play CDs than to communicate.

There's no history of mental health issues, he said, no indication that something sinister has gone on.

"We just want to know she's OK," he said.

Lyons said the next step in the police investigation is a forensic examination of Carol's computer.

There's always a chance she was communicating with someone her family didn't know, he said, or they could find a lead about where she was thinking of going.

"These days, people leave an electronic trail," he said.

Investigators have been patiently following every lead.

Lyons said they'll talk to anyone she knew and get a sense of where she liked to spend time.

They visit those locations, speak to people there, he said, and that almost always turns into a new set of leads.

"Really, it's a lot of beating the bushes," Lyons said.

Officers pursue everything, he said.

Sometimes it turns into a dead end, so they keep searching. Sometimes, he said, they find a missing person.

sdeeth@peterboroghexaminer.com
http://www.peterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2719798

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Carol Hodge | 64 | Missing | Peterborough | August 9, 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:10:02 PM »
|Aug 11, 2010 - 5:39 PM
Carol Hodge missing

Police seek public's help in finding woman. Call 876-1122 if you can help.

Carol Hodge. Courtesy of Peterborough Lakefield Community Police Service
Peterborough police are asking the public to help them find Carol Hodge, 64, who has been missing since Monday. 

She is described as 152 cm tall, weighing 63 kg, with short auburn brown hair and gray eyes.  She normally wears glasses and may be driving a silver Honda Civic, Ontario licence AFKB513.

Anyone who has seen Carol or knows of her whereabouts is asked to call police (876-1122) or Crimestoppers (1-800-222-8477).

amIam

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »
Today there was an article in the Brighton Independent newspaper..a Crimestoppers
article  regarding Carol's disappearance.  I have the hard copy but cannot find the article on their website.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 05:44:39 PM »
To state the obvious - all is not well here.  I hate like heck to say it, but I hope LE can check the finances of any family member that tends to gain by her demise.  I'm just saying...

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »
Well if Carol's car is missing and she had her dog locked up in a room without extra food or water, that is definitely a red flag. Things are not looking good here, I think she could be a victim of foul play. She is missing now quite a while. And the fact she was always talking to family members often and she did not indicate going anywhere, that is quite surprising. Does she have close neighbours? And are there any sex offenders or violent criminals in or near where she lives. Someone could have been watching her. And is there any way of knowing when she left the house,  yes, I saw where some lights were on and the TV in the bedroom. She possibly opened the door to someone she trusted.  And did she have any CC that she would use and when were they last used. And also, does she have a cell phone and also a land line. Checking the calls that she last made on her phones or any incoming calls may help. Maybe someone came to the door and the dog was barking so much she put him in a room to keep him quiet, while she answered the door. She must have opened the door to someone she trusted. :o :o :o :o :o :o

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:49:18 PM by capeheart »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:03:14 AM »
I'm beginning to get a very odd feeling about all these seniors missing in Canada. No bank account activity, etc. Is it open season on seniors for people thinking that maybe nobody cares about them, and it is a place to stay for a short period of time, or a car to get from point A to point B without paying a rental. After all, we had the guy that took the woman's apartment over and assumed the place as his, the couple whose trailer was borrowed for a few days and they remain missing....    I'm beginning to think these perps are ignorant, and seniors are losing their lives because of it. Maybe its time for a national awareness campaign that gears people up towards keeping in touch with their loved ones and monitors for activity. If it saves a few of these precious lives, I'm all for it. Educate the damn perps.

Looks like Carol Hodge disappeared without a trace: police

Local News

Search continues for missing 64-year-old

Posted By SARAH DEETH, Examiner Staff Writer

Posted 2 days ago

It's beginning to look as if Carol Hodge has disappeared without a trace.

The 64-year-old resident has been missing since Aug. 9.

City police have been working the case since her son, Michael, alerted them to her disappearance.

He hadn't heard from her for about two weeks, and asked police to check on Hodge.

When officers arrived they found her dog shut in the master bedroom, the television on and a pile of newspapers at the front door.
City police Staff Sgt. John Lyons said an aerial search of the area failed to turn up any new clues.

As the investigation continues police are making a push to get more national attention in the hopes that it'll create more leads.

Solid leads, Lyons said, have been scarce during the investigation.

Investigators have followed up with friends and family, have monitored her bank accounts and have registered her vehicle, a silver Honda Civic, on police databases across the country.

Usually, Lyons said, investigators have a few solid clues, or an "aha!" moment they can work with.

Vehicles tend to show up because someone's noticed them parked in an odd spot, he said, or phone police because they've been parked in the same place for a long time.
But Hodge's vehicle hasn't been found. And her bank accounts remain inactive.

While information continues to come in, it hasn't led to anything of significance, he said.

Hodge is about five feet tall and weighs about 140 lbs.

She has short hair dyed auburn brown, and brown-grey eyes.

Her silver Honda Civic has the licence plate number AFKB 513.

Anyone with information can call police at 876-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Article ID# 2737211

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »
The OPP are also looking for Jeffrey Bishop (35) from Peterborough...last seen June 21,2010.... last known to have been at the LCBO in Omemee.....family is very concerned, as Jeffrey was depressed.    He was driving a 2007 silver, Freestar Van...This is on the OPP ( missing )website..

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 12:28:04 PM »
Seniors do have to be made aware of what is happening these days. But also in Carol's case, who were the people who did live around her and knew she was living alone??? They might look close to home for the perp in this case. Someone she recognized came to that door and she locked the dog in to keep him from barking. Does her family think she would open her door to anyone in the evening or was she a nervous person and kept the doors locked. Did she have anyone doing yard work??? Any new people doing chores around her property?? Any new delivery people or someone like that, who would believe she is an easy target. Just about a month now and nothing. Also, her vehicle has not been found, very troubling. But I hope they check out her phone records and see if she had called anyone or anyone called her that was not a familiar number. :o :o :o :o

amIam

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 01:19:35 PM »
I haven't heard or read anything as of late regarding Carol, or any sign of her car.  At least nothing that has been reported to media.  It's odd she placed her dog in another room, obviuosly it must have been a stranger who came to her door..and not a family member. 

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
Someone coming to her door is a good theory - but a theory so far.  Did Carol drive away in her car or did someone put her unwillingly in her car and drive away?

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 07:19:18 PM »
I believe she recognized the person at the door, but her dog may just bark at whoever comes to the door and she just put him in the room temporarily. I don't think she would have opened the door to someone who was not familiar to her. If it could only be noted at what time she opened the door. Why would someone abduct her, for her car I would say. I believe it is someone from around her area that knew she lived alone. Somebody that waited for the opportune time. They had to take her with them, because she recognized them. There would be no other reason for them to take her unless she recognized them. That is my feeling on it. She trusted the person and opened the door to them. :o :o :o :o :o :o

amIam

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 02:48:29 PM »
So if Carol's car VIN has been registered with the data bank as missing..why hasn't it surfaced?

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »
In early 2001 my husband was a victim of identity theft - some guy drove out of a car lot in Toronto behind the wheel of a $48,000 Mercedes using his good name and good credit.

It's never been found.

At the time, LE figured that by the following day in was on a boat and landed somewhere between Eastern Europe and Russia.

Stuff happens.  VIN or no VIN.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »
There are so many cars on the road and so much traffic, unless there was a different detail on the car and it was hot pink in colour or something like that, it could go unnoticed for a very long time. With no activity on Carol's bank cards, she certainly did not leave voluntarily, I would say. If a person took this vehicle, they could be anywhere right now., US or Canada. Because she was missing for quite some time possibly before anybody reported her missing. It certainly is a mystery of what has happened to her. Is there another Russell Williams out there????

amIam

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »
Is anyone aware of the breed of dog Carol owned?  I am curious as to why she felt the need to  to place it in another room.  I know a number of single, older women who so dote on their
pets to such a degree they are ones who are controlled..small dogs seem the worst to this
degree. A canine Napoleon syndrome... if you will.  Her dog locked in a room likely means nothing, it probably figured out long ago that if  it yapped enough,  it got a treat.  I know of an older lady who owns a Siberian Huskey, she gave up her bed for the dog and now sleeps on the couch..

I would gather registering a missing vehicle is waste of time.  Most owners of lost, stolen or missing vehicles if they are legitimately insured will contact LE who will (of course) take the info
and the rest is up to the insurance companies.  And since Carol is still just a missing person insurance companies won't pay out..and even if she is found deceased they probably won't pay out.