Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Owen Rooney (24) | Missing | Grand Forks (August 14, 2010)  (Read 29227 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Rooney (24) | Missing | Grand Forks (August 14, 2010)
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »
August 14, 2014 marked the four year anniversary of Owen's disappearance. I often post a related newspaper article to keep the names and faces of the missing 'out there' on anniversary dates. This year I was unable to find anything in regard Owen. Sad.

Owen is still missing.

SAP

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2014, 01:08:39 AM »
People from other countries love the Canadians, saying we are warm and friendly people and I believe they think we are all up to snuff. Unfortunately dangers lurk everywhere. Very sad for the family.
I am still shocked the hospital allowed him to leave in his condition. I'm sure they won't make that mistake again.

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
I wonder if the Phoenix ski hill area just outside of Grand forks has been searched?  The area is very treed and of course hilly and remote. A very good place to put someone not to be found for some time.

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »
Sadly his family updated their Facebook page last evening to confirm that remains found just 3KM from the hospital where he was last seen are that of Owen.. I can't copy and paste on my current device but this is what Sharon Rooney posted in the "HELP FIND OWEN ROONEY" FACEBOOK GROUP

"We were notified a few weeks ago that human remains were found at Hardy Mountain BC..3Km from the hospital that Owen went missing from. We have come together as a family to receive the news via a phone appointment, the DNA results have confirmed it is our Owen. Emotionally digesting this news is a challenge. We take solace in the fact we can bring him home to us. Our resolution has been given. Many people have shared Owen's short and fulfilled life. He is well loved. We have no further information until we hear from the coroner.  We are so grateful to everyone here for your positive love and support. This has given us the ability to continue our connection, preservance and strength till this day. We thank the Grand Forks Search and Rescue for their bravery and diligence in bringing Owen home to us. For all of those with missing family members, may you find peace in your heats.. ambiguity is not easy and we send you much love.  A very grateful Rooney family XO""

Very sad but a relief for the family to have some closure finally. Wising them all peace while they grieve the loss of their beloved.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »
Years-long mystery of missing Australian comes to a sad end
BC Coroners Service confirms identity of deceased Owen Kiernan Rooney
Barry Coulter/Tue Jul 11th, 2017 8:03am

A mystery of a young Australian man who went missing in southern B.C. in 2010 has been tragically solved.

On Monday, July 10, the BC Coroners Service confirmed the identity of a man whose remains were found near Hardy Mountain near Grand Forks in June, 2017.

He was Owen Kiernan Rooney, an electrician from Australia, who was 24 years old when he went missing on Aug. 14, 2010.

Mr. Rooney left the Boundary Hospital in Grand Forks on that evening, leaving his belongings behind. He had been hitchhiking back to Kelowna where he was living after a trip to the Shambala music festival near Salmo. Despite extensive searches at the time, he could not be located.

While on a training exercise on June 10, 2017, members of the Grand Forks Search and Rescue Unit found what they believed to be human remains in a bush near the bottom of a steep cliff near the base of Hardy Mountain. Post-mortem testing, co-ordinated by the BC Coroners Service Special Investigations Unit, now has confirmed that those remains are those of Mr. Rooney.

The BC Coroners Service continues to investigate to try to discover the cause and manner of Mr. Rooney’s death.

The BC Coroners Service would like to thank the Grand Forks RCMP and members of the search-and-rescue teams who, over a period of almost seven years, never gave up on trying to discover what had happened to Mr. Rooney.

The family of Mr. Rooney, who returned to Australia after spending more than six months in Canada looking for Owen, has been notified of his death.

http://www.cranbrooktownsman.com/news/years-long-mystery-of-missing-australian-comes-to-a-sad-end/