Author Topic: Everton and Elaine Biddersingh charged in 1994 murder of Melonie Biddersingh  (Read 7825 times)

Woodland

• View Profile
Attached is the OPP notice on a young female found 1 September 1994 behind an industrial area in Vaughn.  Case no. 20060060OPP.

She is determined to be 14 - 23 years, slim with protruding upper teeth.  Her injuries are so horrific it boggles the mind - then she was set on fire.

It's unreal no one reported her missing at such a young age.  Makes one wonder if she was even enrolled in school.

http://www.missing-u.ca/UIDetail.aspx?PersonID=161

By coincidence an unidentified female was pulled from the Niagara River on 3 September 1995 - one year and 2 days later, near the Maid of the Mist dock.  Case no. 20050046OPP.

No age rage is listed for this person.  She has a slight build, nice clothing and polished nails.  She also had a fracture of the right femur - no indication if this was healed, but if not, she would have been immobile.

http://www.missing-u.ca/UIDetail.aspx?PersonID=70

On 31 August 1996 - one day shy of a year later - another unidentified female was pulled from the Niagara River, near the Maid of the Mist dock.  Case no. 20050044OPP.

She is determined to be 17 - 30 years, heavy build and found in inexpensive clothing.  No mention of injuries.

http://www.missing-u.ca/UIDetail.aspx?PersonID=68

art-hu

• View Profile
Good work Woodlands, for sure these cases are very similar. The first one in Vaughn is quite a distance away from the Niagra river though. Really horrific what someone could do. Healing fractures, 3-6 mths. before death, leads me to believe she likely abused for quite sometime before her death. Being a very light wieght, I don't think she was in an accident, she was likely thrown around. She also may have been abducted at a young age.???? Any other cases in Vaughn Township around that time. ???

Woodland

• View Profile
The dates are similar - almost like an anniversary - but little else in the OPP posts.

There is an interesting article under the thread for Darlene MacNeill - Toronto - dated 25 June 2006 stating that 25 women have been murdered in the last 15 years in the Golden Horseshoe area (Niagara around the end of Lake Ontario to Toronto).  Who knows why the unidentified women were targeted, without knowing who they were and what lifestyle they led.

navyperfume

• View Profile
WELLAND - After nearly 18 years, Toronto police have arrested a married couple from Welland in connection to a 1994 murder.

Niagara Regional Police Det. Sgt. Randy Bleich said local officers assisted the Toronto officers arresting the unidentified couple on Monday, March 5.

He had few details about the case itself, since the investigation was handled by Toronto police.

"It's a cold case. They've done a lot of work on it and been around a lot of places. This couple gravitated to our area from Toronto back awhile ago, and that's how they ended up here," Bleich said.

He said the man that was arrested was believed to be the biological father of the murder victim. The Toronto Sun is reporting that police have made an arrest in the case of a 17 year old girl whose remains were found in Vaughan on Sept. 1, 1994. The girl's body was found in a suitcase left between two burning tires.

Bleich said Toronto police continued their investigation following the arrest and as of Wednesday, reached the point where they could publicly announce the arrest.

navyperfume

• View Profile
Anyone familiar with this case?

SAP

This sounds quite familiar; perhaps the case is posted here somewhere?

http://www.brandonsun.com/national/breaking-news/cold-case-break-father-stepmom-charged-in-death-of-teen-found-in-suitcase-in-1994-143651776.html?thx=y

TORONTO - A major break in a cold case involving human remains found in a burning suitcase in 1994 has resulted in first-degree murder charges against the victim's father and stepmother.
Toronto police say even the identity of the victim remained a mystery until a "person of conscience" phoned investigators.
That tip allowed them to identify the victim as a 17-year-old girl named Melanie after visiting the girl's biological mother in Jamaica and obtaining a DNA sample.
Det.-Sgt. Steve Ryan says the teen's stepmother, Elaine Biddersingh, and father, Everton Biddersingh, were arrested on March 5 and charged with first-degree murder.
Ryan wouldn't comment on reports that Melanie had been a victim of ongoing abuse, saying only that based on the information he'd gathered, "her life in Toronto wasn't pleasant."
He says Melanie travelled to Toronto from Jamaica in 1990 to live with the accused along with her half-brother and brother, who fell off their apartment's balcony in 1992 when he was 15.
His death was deemed to be a suicide, but officials will take another look at it as part of their investigation.
Police also say the girl's biological mother hadn't been aware of her death.

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
OMG, that poor girl... :'( and coincidental her brother "fell" off a balcony (I want to add the word "too" here). Fry the parents... How could a parent do that to their own children?? I always find crimes against children unforgivable but when it is a parent involved it makes it that much more disgusting

SAP

Poor Melonie and her brother. What a beautiful girl she was. May they rest in peace after the terrors the parents inflicted on them. I agree they should be fried!

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Melonie Biddersingh is pictured below. 

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
The cold case detectives deserve great praise for solving the mystery of the "girl in the suitcase".  At times, we forget that the police do not "give up", even when it fades in the public minds.
It is encouraging to know and especially for other familes who are still waiting for answers as to the loss of their loved ones.

JB

jobo

• View Profile
Thank God for the "person with a conscience".  And thanks to the Cops that perservered.  Now to see if the brother was murdered too.

I do remember hearing about this case.  A deceased child in a suitcase...I believe near the factories in the GTA (Vaughan).

Coral

So the girl and one of the brothers are deceased.  I wonder what ever happened to the other brother.  Is he still alive?  How did he survive these 2 monster parents?  It's sad to think they were sent here for a better life.  How much worse would it have been had they stayed in Jamaica?

Coral

Why did it take the "person with a conscience" 18 years to finally come forward?  What triggered it?  We should have a national "person of conscience day", a day when anyone who knows anything is invited to call in to LE.  No questions asked.  Maybe it would be enough of a trigger for some people.  I'm glad this person came forward, but REALLY, they allowed those two monsters to live freely for 18 years.  Couldn't the conscience have been triggered at 18 days, 18 weeks, 18 months?  Why wait 18 years? Better late than never I guess.