Author Topic: Curtis Barry | 49 | Bradford | Missing July 19, 2010  (Read 130320 times)

amIam

Re: Curtis Barry | 49 | Bradford | Missing July 19, 2010
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 04:18:18 PM »
Hello Michelle, it's nice to meet you and I am happy you have found us.  I am so sorry regarding Curtis and can't imagine your distress.   A number of us here are from Ontario and know the area of his disppearence.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and thoughts. 

We have covered a lot of ground in our search from Bradford to
Innisfil at the 3rd line.  I have put together 6 searches and the police co-ordinated one for me which was too dangerous for our family to do themselves.  We have put posters out everywhere. 

My son and I even drove to Sudbury on the weekend and went to see the Sudbury Police and the OPP as this was a
place he had mentioned going in the past.  It didn't really have any relevance, but I just needed to know that is was
 covered. 

We are starting to check abandoned barns, houses etc in hopes that we will find a clue. We have spoken to every
possible person that could have any lead.

He has worked for TTC for almost 30 years in February and was almost ready to retire. We have spoken to TTC and I
contacted All Trans Credit Union and they posted the poster on their site as well.

We will keep searching as long as we can in hopes that we can bring him home.

Thanks you so much for your kind words everyone, it is much appreciated.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »

Curtis Barry's picture is posted below. Click to enlarge.

missingu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »
Thanks Very much Angela for adding Curtis so quickly.  It is very much appreciated.
Michelle

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 08:43:17 PM »
Michelle, I don't know why, but I just have a good feeling that your Curtis will be ok. On so many cases I feel an overwhelming sense of sadness, but for some reason, it just feels like Curtis will be ok. Looking at his picture he seems like such a nice man. Healthy. Good spirits. He looks to be the kind that can use good thinking to handle situations.

Let's just hope that there is a simple, but good, common sense reason and that he will find a way to let you know that he is ok. Let's just hope he needed some space. Was going through some midlife crisis. Something acceptable. I'm hoping that times are just tough and its easy for people to feel inadequate, or directionless, or like they haven't lived up to their dreams. Sometimes people just need a moment to clear their minds and senses. I get a good feeling that Curtis is ok. I so hope this to be true. Fear, after all can consume some of our best energy. You need all the positive you can have going your way. It is tough not knowing. Keep up the faith! Keeping you in our prayers.

missingu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 11:37:49 PM »
Concerned,

Thank you so much for being so positive.  I truly hope you are right for the sake of the whole family.
Thanks again for your kind words and thoughts for us.
I am so glad to have joined this site.
There is still hope.

Michelle

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 08:28:52 AM »
Thought I would post information from the various police posts. In case it spurs someone's memory, theory or ideas.

July 19, 2010 - 2010-8628 Missing Person:
...The male left his residence at 8:00 am with his two dogs. They usually go for a 2 hour walk which is well known to the family, friends and neighbours. At 1600 hrs Police were contacted and advised that the male had not returned from his walk. The area usually travelled by the missing person while walking the dogs is Brittania Avenue to Dissette Street to Industrial Road at the dead end where there are several trails off in the bush. The area has been searched on foot by police...

July 21, 2010 - Update:
...Police officers have searched the area of the 8th Line of Bradford, west of the Holland River using Air 2 from York Regional police. Searches have also been conducted by a marine unit in the Holland River and its banks, as well as an extensive canine search was done until dark last night...Officers will be conducting another foot search today at 2 pm in the area that is covered in heavy brush and swamp members of Mr. Barry's family and the general public will also be assisting in the search this afternoon...

July 24, 2010 - Update on Missing Person - 2010-8628:
On Friday, July 23, 2010 officers from South Simcoe Police and York Regional Police conducted another search of the dense brush and swamp in the area of Industrial Road and the 8th Line of Bradford. Officers continued their ground search of this area for most of the day on Friday using specially trained canines. The search was negative and Mr. BARRY is still missing. On Saturday July 24, officers with the South Simcoe marine unit will be using sea doos to search low water areas along the Holland River in the area of the 8th Line of Bradford. Another ground search is also planned with officers searching factory properties in the area...

July 26, 2010 - Update...:
...On Monday July 26, 2010 one week after Curtis BARRY went missing, officers conducted a canvass of motor vehicles in the area where Curtis Barry is known to have walked.  Officers stopped several vehicles during the daytime hours on Disette Street at Industrial Road in Bradford to canvass motorists in attempts to gather further witnesses or any information that would assist in the search. In addition a ground search was conducted in the area E/B of Artesian Industrial Parkway and the 9th Line of Bradford. Officers on foot also searched the areas W/B on Bridge Street from Dissette Street to Canal Road (on North side)...

July 27, 2010 - Missing Person Curtis Barry 10-8628 - Update:
...On July 27, 2010 a second air search will be conducted with the assistance of the York Regional Police helicopter during the early evening hours. The search will focus in the are just North and to the East where Curtis Barry's dogs were located.  Police continue to investigate leads and follow-up on tips as reported by the public. To date there has been no sign of the whereabouts of Curtis Barry. It is anticipated that the South Simcoe Police will again conduct one more ground search with K9 units in specific locations on Wednesday July 28, 2010 along the Southern portion of the search area...

No other update posted in the South Simcoe Police Media Release, dated July 18-August 15, 2010:  http://www.southsimcoepolice.on.ca/enter/contentpages/documents/MediaRelease.pdf

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 08:52:38 AM »
Michelle, you are quite welcome.

I've thought of a few more items for you and your family:
* Were there any crimes in the area of his walk on the day and time of the walk? Sometimes we hear that a person is in the wrong place at the wrong time and that when the crime is happening, they notice a person that can be a witness and they panic. Or, the missing person comes to the other person's rescue and too becomes involved.

* Were there any crimes of robberies, assaults, etc. in the surrounding area on the same date. I'm thinking joy riders out looking for easy cash to feed habits. Perhaps they saw an opportunity to bother the jogger. (This also seems to be unlikely since his bank ATM remains undisturbed, unless of course he put up resistance. Plus, I don't know anyone that would willingly bother a man with dogs, for fear the dogs would become protective.)

* I noticed there were quite a few domestic abuse cases in the area around the the time of Curtis' disappearance, could Curtis have witnessed or come to the rescue of any of the calls police have on file for that timeframe?

* Have you checked with any of Curtis' doctors. If he had testing and any negative outcomes, sometimes people will get distraught, not wanting to be a burden on their families and do something drastic.

* Also, he is of the age when mid-life crisis kicks in. I've heard some pretty strange things that friends of mine have done, totally out of character around this time in life. From what have I accomplished in life? Am I happy? I need change. I need to be someone's "hero" and appreciated and they seek it from someone that they become acquainted with who in their minds fits the bill. This seems more popular with all the online media options (Facebook, MySpace, etc.) or can happen at the local bar, or from the work setting. This is unpleasant, but common.  The thing I've noticed with my friends is it comes out of left field. Little warning, but drastic action (buy a car, change hair, wear cologne, pay attention to clothes, change patterns, etc.) Some just head out the door and don't look back and they were absolutely wonderful hubbies.  Just thought you may want to sit back and take stock of any--even small--change in behavior.

To Curtis:
This is a note to Curtis. Just in case you are out there. Just in case you just needed to disappear. Just in case you are reading this. Tell a trusted friend. The resources that are expended, the effects your disappearance will have on your children, not just those in your immediate family but many many others lives are involved in trying to find you.  If you want to have peace, and privacy, it would be best if you did not have these resources looking for you. The way to do that is to tell a trusted friend. Let them inform the police, if need be. Police will call off seraches if people just want to "disappear" from life once they have confirmation that that is the case. But beyond loving family and friends, you will undoubtedly affect the health and welfare and valuable resources of a great many you have never met. All taking moments away from other searches and crimes to find you. It could mean a life, livelihood, and make a difference.   So, until you let us know, we will continue in the spirit that you need us to look and find you, and that there is something desperately wrong.  But, if this is not the case, then let someone know, please.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »
Once again, Concerned.....you are bang on with your post..Thanks for putting it so compassionately, and well thought out. 
 My thoughts on Curtis's disappearance are all over the place, I cannot seem to focus on anything concrete, except the missing leash is bothering me, it has not been found.

missingu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 10:27:31 AM »
Thanks for all of the info concerned.

I read your post in great detail. Curtis left without any identification at all or money.  I have everything at home.  He also
had cleaned out our dog run and left the food and water as usual in the run for when he returned.  It is very out of
character for him just to disappear.  He is very structured in his daily routines, and for the most part is a homebody.

The only changes that had occured during the last few weeks is his sleeping patterns.  He was having lots of trouble
sleeping so the doctor prescribed him some medication to help out with that.  It was prescribed Friday July 16th.  He
only took 3 pills and was gone on the 19th.

He had even written in his daytimer that day off from July 19th, resume work August 3rd.

Nothing really fits, unless it was a last minute spontaneous decision to leave.  If this is/was the case, I would have thought someone may have spotted him between 8am and 10am when the dogs were seen, or even after that sometime during the day.

We have gone through so many scenarios and always end up back at square 1 as they are all just guesses.

One thing I will say about him though, he comes across as being not too social when first introduced.  He is the type of guy that needs to get to know someone before warming up.  He is also very regimented from the time he gets up in the morning until the time he goes to bed at night.

He works for the TTC.  He would have been there 30 years in Feb 2011 and due to retire with full pension at the age
of 49.  This was his very first job right out of school....way back when.  He had never had a sick day in almost 30 years
of service. 

I'm hoping that if he is out there somewhere and still with us, that he contacts someone to ease the pain for all of us
that are involved.

Thanks to everyone for posting and thinking about us all.  It's really great to know that there are so many people out there still willing to help, even if it is just advice or kind words.

Michelle

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 10:54:35 AM »
A sudden change in medication could possibly cause a problem. If it was wrongfully prescribed (did you check with pharmacy to ensure the pills are exactly as prescribed and not a pharmacy error)?  Did you check with doctors to see what the side effects of the medication is, perhaps that can lead to looking in particular places.  Was there a possible reaction with competing medications or with that particular medication and an unknown (to the physician) medical condition? Perhaps have a second medical professional look at his health charts and go over the information provided to the doctor that last saw him, for a fresh eyes on the issue. I'm wondering if he had a medical condition wrongfully diagnosed and the medication may not have helped. Penny had a brain aneurism that went undetected, in similar fashion. Did he have the medication with him, or left at home?

Some improperly treated health conditions can disorient a person.

I'm beginning to think medical clinics, homeless shelters and food kitchens, if a person became disoriented.

And, then again, something was keeping him from sleeping. This could be a wealth of possibilities:  not feeling good, worried about something, dissatisfaction in something, sometimes people need something to make them sleep because they are taking something to keep them awake, etc. The more you know about what could have been keeping him awake at night suddenly, might help. The doctors, friends, and co-workers may just have some info.

Random question:  Was there anyone at his work that was not working on the day of his disappearance, or the day after? Called in sick?

Did he have a favorite, favorite place to go?  Did anyone check there recently?  Maybe a place with a peaceful vibe or a nice view?

Being that the dog's were found on the path, it just seems like maybe he was picked up by someone. Is there storefront/business cameras in the area to check passenger seats in cars that go by? Could he have hailed a passing car to take him to the hospital if he was suddenly not feeling well?

I know how hard it is to try to find someone, especially when you run out of ideas. Still looking for Penny Warne, 1 1/2 years later. Like your husband, disappeared without a trace. Been trying for a long time to figure out how that can happen.

Concerned.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:01:22 PM by Concerned »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 04:22:44 PM »
Dear Michell;
Thank you for sharing with us.  I don't believe that he had any intentions of disappearing, as he would not have brought his dogs, which he dearly loved.
You mentioned changes in his sleeping patterns.  Had this happened before, or was this something new?  Did Curtis appear to be worried about something? example: staring off into space at times - deep in thought? Being inattentive when spoken to?
You also shared the fact that he worked for Toronto's Transit, so I assume he was a member of the Union.  Did he have a post within the union? Did he ever discuss his job? Did he mention anything recently about his work that concerned him? I am just trying to extend  the circle of "his missing".

Also have you checked with the pharmacy re his prescription to see what,  if any,  side effects? Did he take as prescribed?

Hopefully, you will receive the answers that you are looking for.  I hope that you don't mind my asking these questions.  Somehow they seem so personal, and I hope that I have not stepped out of bounds.   A missing loved one is a personal thing. I pray that he will return home soon.

Keep The Faith Going.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:33:13 PM by jellybean »

missingu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
Hi Concerned and Jellybean,

Thanks again for your posts.

Curtis did take his medication as prescribed.  I spoke to the doctor as he is also my doctor, I even went to the
appointments with him to make sure he asked the questions that were needed.

Believe it or not, I went down to HR at TTC last Thursday, and it had not been communicated to them that he was even
missing.  I guess that's what happens in large companies, you are a number only.  I was only contacted by his
supervisor once.  He has a friend that the has worked with now for 23 years, and he has been my support down there
helping me with contacting the right people.

The police also visisted his place of work and interviewed many people last week.  They went through his locker and his
toolboxes in hopes of finding something, but nothing was found.

He was not real computer literate either.  He knew how to do the basics, but nothing too complicated.  The police took
our computer last Friday and did forensics on it, but nothing was found at all.  He didn't belong to any social networks.
He just wasn't interested in technology too much, just wanted the simple life.  He didn't even own a cell phone.

There hasn't been any activity at all with banking or credit cards, that has been checked in great detail.

I did go on the South Simcoe site and check of any crimes in and around the date of his dissapearance, but nothing
jumped out at me.

The area where he walked with the dogs is n Industrial area with large factories (only 2).  I went to the factories
the second day and asked if they had cameras facing the road.  They actually did, but there was a thunderstorm
the night before and the computer went down and didn't reboot itself.

The police also checked the surveillance video from the GO train that leaves the same area, but nothing.

Cameras were checked on the main street, but no one had images of him.

It's as if he took the dogs for their usual walk and just vanished into thin air.  The dual leash was never found.

The police believe at this point that it is at a "search and recovery" stage rather than "search and rescue".

I hope they are wrong.

All that we can hope for is that he did disappear on his own and will return one day, but I really don't think that
his overall character is the type to do this.  Our family is very close knit and it just doesn't make sense.

I will keep thinking positive until I am proved wrong for the sake of our family and kids, and everyone that has been so
helpful in trying to locate him. 

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 10:11:01 PM »
Dear Michelle,

You have done everything that you can (and more) to locate him. Now it is a wait and see situation.  The police are doing everything that they can to locate him.  You are a very lovely person, and I am sure you have a wonderful family.  This is the time when you will need each other for support more than ever.  I am confident that as a family you can do it. Lean on your faith, as it will give you strength, and some comfort.  I will be watching for any further postings you may have. I will continue to pray for all of you and Curtis.

Continue to be strong

With the deepest regards,
JB

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »
Michelle,

Wow...the employer HR department didn't even know. That is a shocker. 

I have a few questions, you mentioned that he worked for TTC, and you also mention the police checked the GO train. I am not familiar with either as I don't live in the area, but by any chance is the GO train related to the TTC business?  Is that a train system that could transport someone distances out of town? 

Woodland on here has been tracking some articles about crimes that happen next to train stations, I wonder if she would have any thoughts. Any information you can provide to us about the GO train would be helpful.

Also, the leash is bothering me tonight. Did Curtis usually take the leash off the dogs and let them run around at any particlular place on his walk?  It seems odd to me that the dogs are found but the leash is still missing.

Also, do the police know if there are any homeless or vagrant types that live in that area?  We have heard of people that go off their meds, and attack people in parks, etc, in some parts of Canada in the last year.  Sometimes police know of these people and if they can be harmful.

That was good suggestion jellybean. 

Michelle, by the way, I don't accept that there are search and recovery, when they don't know what they may be recovering from where. No disrespect to LE, but in my mind until told otherwise, there is always hope. Make sure to get enough sleep, exercise, nutrition and support. This is a hard process no doubt.

art-hu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 07:03:12 AM »
Lauren,

Has Curt ever been on a site like this before.?? I'ts great that you have posted, but it is not safe for you to leave your #.