Author Topic: Nadine Taylor, Halifax NS went missing July 31, 2010  (Read 38222 times)

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: Nadine Ann Taylor missing, Halifax,NS
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 09:08:56 AM »

Accused sex worker killer 'respectful': Judge

By QMI Agency

A Nova Scotia man accused of killing one sex worker and torturing another charmed a judge during an attempted armed robbery trial in 2006, court documents show.

Steven Elliot Laffin, 36, of Dartmouth is charged with the second-degree murder of Nadine Taylor, a sex worker who has been missing since July. Shortly after she disappeared, police upgraded her missing person's file to a homicide, though they never recovered a body.

Halifax Regional Police were led to Laffin because he was already in jail for allegedly kidnapping and torturing a former sex worker. In that case, he is charged with abduction, forcible confinement, aggravated sexual assault and uttering death threats. Laffin's house was the focus of Taylor's murder investigation, police said.

In 2006, he got a two-year conditional sentence for attempted armed robbery after walking into a convenience store with a knife and demanding money.

He later went before Judge Jamie Campbell to ask for an amendment to his house arrest, which the judge granted, noting Laffin had a "dignified carriage" and wore "carefully chosen business suits."

Campbell described Laffin as an "articulate and respectful man" with the potential for a "bright future," according to documents obtained by CBC.

"At 32 years old he appears in every outward respect to be a person who should be looking forward to a bright future," Campbell wrote.

Laffin's effort to work a legitimate job at Tim Hortons after his arrest also factored into the decision.

"He works more than regular hours. He has been promoted to a supervisory position. He has money saved and is paying off his debts. Apparently he has not lost his work ethic. He could have taken a very different approach."

Campbell said Laffin was driven to crime after he lost his job and his marriage fell apart.

The Halifax Chronicle Herald reports Laffin is the uncle of 18-year-old Dillon Jewett, who was found murdered in the woods in early October, near a quarry in East Uniacke, N.S. Amanda Allison Greene, 18, has been charged with first-degree murder.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2010/10/28/15861646.html

me

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:48 AM »
Are these judges insane?  So, I lose my job and my marriage falls apart and that drives me to a life of crime?  Really? And I show up in court, dressed professionally and speaking politely, and that makes everything okay?  Man alive, how the hell do these people get to be judges?

Carol-Lynn

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »
RIP. :'( She was a beautiful young lady

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Nadine Ann Taylor MURDER July 28-2010 Halifax,NS. STW
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Are these judges insane?  So, I lose my job and my marriage falls apart and that drives me to a life of crime?  Really? And I show up in court, dressed professionally and speaking politely, and that makes everything okay?  Man alive, how the hell do these people get to be judges?

Boy is that bang on!!

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Nadine Ann Taylor | MURDERed | July 28-2010 Halifax (SOLVED)
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »
Whether one likes Harper or not, his government is trying to change these things.  Since he is in a minority government, it makes it difficult to bring the laws, up to snuff, in accordance with the public desire. 
That is where it stands now.
Our present government is attempting to change;
Our immigration laws
Our criminal laws
Our "boat people" laws
Well, he has had difficulty, in the past, because the Senate, bleeding hearts, usually put the kabash on it.
All bills must be finalized by the Senate.
These people are appointed - not elected!
They are very powerful and their decisions rests.
No recourse. 
Their decision is final!!
Peace
JB

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Nadine Ann Taylor | MURDERed | July 28-2010 Halifax (SOLVED)
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 12:49:25 AM »
It is weird how come all these powerful people are so convinced we must tolerate certain things and put with judges who pervert the spirit of the law.

I'm all for second chances and compassion. But that does not apply to everything.

And these boat people! It's like Cuba in the states. More people die or suffer, then who actually make it, thsu they should stop accepting them, so they won't try. It is deadly to encourage people to rid a boat across the ocean.

But if i could start anywhere, it would be moron judges. We elected judges in Houston. They do a pretty good job. Nutty judges are sooooo demoralizing and create distrust in the system, and make criminals figure they have a reasonable chance of getting nothing or little.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Nadine Taylor, Halifax NS went missing July 31, 2010
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »
Last Updated: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 | 10:23 PM AT
CBC News
Nadine Taylor, 29, was reported missing in July. (Family photo)
A Nova Scotia man accused of kidnapping and brutalizing a prostitute has been charged with second-degree murder in the case of another sex worker who disappeared three months ago.

Steven Laffin, 36, is accused of killing Nadine Taylor, police announced Wednesday in Halifax.

Taylor, 29, was reported missing on July 31. Nearly two months later, police said they were investigating her disappearance as a homicide.

"This was a complicated investigation in that Nadine's body has yet to be located and we have reason to believe that we will not be able to locate her remains," said Deputy Chief Chris McNeil.

Laffin, from Dartmouth, is charged with abduction, forcible confinement, aggravated sexual assault and uttering death threats in connection with an Aug. 16 attack on another sex-trade worker.

Investigators spent several days searching his house on Weyburn Road after his arrest.

Police said they had information from witnesses and physical evidence that led them to charge Laffin with Taylor's death, but they didn't give details.

Left to make call
Taylor was last seen on the evening of July 28.

Gene Hape said his fiancee left her Halifax home to make a call from a payphone because she didn't have her own phone. She never returned, and he called police three days later.

Taylor was a known prostitute, but police aren't saying whether she was working at the time she was killed.

Both Hape and Taylor's father declined an interview with CBC News. Hape said he was too upset to talk.

Taylor's friend, Claudette Collee-Lavoie, said she was shocked by the murder charge.

"I knew it was eventually coming but I didn't want to believe it," she told CBC News. "She was a good person."

Stepping Stone, a group for sex-trade workers in the Maritimes, issued a statement Wednesday saying there are more missing women.

Staff, volunteers and the people who use Stepping Stone's services are relieved that charges have been laid and "hope that justice will prevail," the short message reads.

Charges laid
Earlier this year, Laffin was charged with sexual assault with a knife. But that charge was dropped in June because the alleged victim, a sex worker, did not show up to court, court records show.

Another sex-trade worker told CBC News a harrowing story about an attack on her in August, that led to the string of charges against Laffin.

The 29-year-old said she got into a man's car in Spryfield, and he drove her to a parking lot.

The woman said the man grabbed her throat and choked her. She said when she regained consciousness, her mouth was covered in duct tape and her ankles and wrists were bound.

She said as the man sexually assaulted her, he slammed her face into the ground and said he would kill her.

The woman said she was stuffed into the trunk of the man's car, but managed to escape.

Laffin is currently at the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility. He is expected to be in court on Thursday to face the second-degree murder charge.
This story is closed to commenting.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/10/27/ns-taylor-missing-police.html#ixzz1BQjaH8pz

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/10/27/ns-taylor-missing-police.html

lostlinganer

• View Profile

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile

lostlinganer

• View Profile
Re: Nadine Taylor, Halifax NS went missing July 31, 2010
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »
whisper; isn't  this an interesting development!

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »
I did see that on the news this evening. I hope that he turns up. He is the one who reported his girlfriend missing and obviously knew where she was headed on the night she went missing. He certainly would be involved greatly in the upcoming murder trial, possibly the star witness. I do hope they find him safe and sound. :o :o :o :o

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2011, 07:31:11 AM »
a very interesting turn indeed... :o

I do hope he found safe. however one must wonder what has happened.

did he see something he shouldnt have the night she went missing/know too much?

OR, well i'll keep that speculation to myself ::)

Cape Breton

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
Boy oh boy, that Laffin nut must have some heavy friends unless the boyfriend cancelled his own check. Halifax, Dartmouth, what a chilling place late at night. Please CANADA bring back the death penalty for those who want to act and feel safe.

kassiepoo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »
The boyfriend was found and he is fine....no connection to Nadine's murder.