Author Topic: Just in Case You Need Some Hope Today  (Read 101645 times)

amIam

Re: Just in Case You Need Some Hope Today
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2011, 05:23:04 PM »
So sad for you eyes.    I would have thought the Salvation Army would have bent over backward to have helped. 
But then again, I am thinking the old school Sally Ann and combined with the Cdn Red Cross have been so helpful to those in need. Times have oh so changed.
As with any church, the Salvation Army receives funding from various organizations in order to support their programs such as hostels. And it's tax free.  There is no accounting.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »
Jaswinder (Jassi) Kaur Sidhu, 25, was a resident of Maple Ridge, B.C. (born in Canada on August 4, 1975) when she was murdered in Punjab, India, on June 8, 2000. Her body was found in an irrigation ditch in India, her throat slit. Her husband, Sukwinder (Mithu) Singh Sidhu, was seriously injured. They had secretly married against her family's wishes.  In 1995 she met her strikingly handsome husband while visiting family in Punjab with her mother and uncle. She was from a wealthy family known as millionaire blueberry farmers. He was considered a humble rickshaw driver and they fell in love. Some call it an "honor" killing. Most don't believe there was anything "honorable" about it.

Facts show it was a contract killing and 11 men were originally arrested in connection with her death. Seven later convicted had been linked to Sidhu's family in Maple RIdge through a series of cellphone calls in the days and minutes before the killing.  They kidnapped and tortured her telling her that her husband had been killed and that she would have to return to Canada. (Seriously, what family orders such treatment to a loved one?) Eventually the "order to kill came from Canada" as well and her throat was slit.

Her husband, a day earlier had been beaten and left for dead. He survived though. Her husband feared for his life. In fact, they hired a woman to proclaim that he assaulted her so he would be jailed for four years.

What is the chance that Canadian RCMP can find justice for the couple over a decade later? Look at the odds: It was an international crime. It happened overseas. It is considered a "cultural/religious" rite to some, in a country that condones arranged marriages and tradition. It was ordered and organized by an extremely wealthy family--her family for her murder. It required cooperation and coordination and dedication with and from the government of India. Involved family. Lots of family.

In 2005, the RCMP said there was an ongoing investigation, but they had no jurisdiction over crimes committed in India. They found a loophole though. They may have jurisdiction if the crime was planned in Canada and committed elsewhere. Seven men were convicted for murdering Jassi and attempted murder of Sidhu on October 21, 2005, but Jassi's mother and uncle, from a well-to-do family "got away with murder." They claimed "we did not kill her." At India's request the Ridge-Meadows RCMP investigated the case under a mutual legal assistance treaty (MLAT) filed with Ottawa

....Until January 6, 2012 in Maple Ridge, B.C. when Malkit Kaur Sidhu, 63, and Surjit Singh Badesha, 67, were arrested in connection with the murder. RCMP proudly announce that after "an exhaustive eleven-year international investigation." The mother and uncle are being held. Extradition hearing is required. It could take years.

The odds were against LE. It requires patience. Dedication. Sometimes, against all odds (including political, cultural, geographic, jurisdiction, and religious values...). Sometimes it happens.

They worked with India to uncover evidence that indicated Jassi Sidhu's family were involved in the homicide. Members of the RCMP's Serious Crime Unit were actively involved due to the international scope and instrumental in obtaining extradition of the Canadian citizens.

What's the chances for justice?  They just got better.

There is hope.

Hope.

Unbelievable Kudos RCMP! Nice job!

The Global News nicely outlines the series of events:

http://www.globalnews.ca/timeline+jassi+kaur+sidhu/6442554858/story.html

http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2012/01/07/19213631.html

Sources: 
http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2012/01/07/19213631.html
http://www.globalnews.ca/timeline+jassi+kaur+sidhu/6442554858/story.html
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=d80baed6-d391-47c6-85e6-a8cc03fbfbdf
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:40:17 AM by Concerned »

meechie

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2012, 09:43:42 AM »
I didn't want to post this here because it is a thread for hope, but.......

if you think that the RCMP did a good job on this case, and those people who were convicted in India are free and out of jail even though they got life in prison.. watch the 5th estates show from last night link below you will change your mind about this.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/the_fifth_estate/1278707885/ID=2184376952

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2012, 08:49:11 PM »
Elizabeth Smart is getting married. Yes, Elizabeth Smart!

If that isn't hope at its finest proven state, what would be?

I almost don't want to repeat what she's been through. Because she has worked so very hard to be past it and why should we bring it up again? To give the perp victory? A sense that his works could still be relevant? That he could continue to make others sick by his actions? No, he doesn't deserve another breathe. So forgive me if I only offer up (for those that may need a reference) Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped from her parent's home while everyone slept inside. She was abducted, kidnapped, held against her will and much much worse. Again, he doesn't deserve one more wasted breath on him.

What I would like to say here, though, is how very wonderful that her family was able to have her back, alive after nine months. Not everyone has had that opportunity, and many still wait believing in hope. I can't even imagine what that phone call would be like. They didn't write the book on that one. I think a whole country was crying along with them, when we all heard the news she was alive and she was relatively healthy and she was headed home.

Today, she is engaged. She is going to keep her family, her fiance and any future children private. I can't blame her for wanting that. She has after all this time, gracefully presented herself to the nation so eager to hug her, so eager to love her, so eager to want to know what happened even if it was too painful for her to speak. She did. And, she continues to be an advocate for children--something her smile and existence does naturally, and effortlessly.

Elizabeth Smart is getting married!!!! I know, I've said that a number of times today. And, I'm sorry if I have repeated it. It is just so nice to be able to say those words. What are the odds that we would ever be able to celebrate such an event?  She's a gift of hope, strength, and grace all bundled in one.

She's getting married!!!! (Sorry... I can't help it.) Cartwheels anyone?

Source:  http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/20/10201087-former-utah-kidnapping-victim-elizabeth-smart-gets-engaged

UPDATE:  Elizebth Smart tied the knot in Hawaii over the February 18-19 2012 weekend. She got engaged to Matthew Gilmour, a native of Scotland who she met while performing missionary work in France, last month and planned to get married in the summer, but moved up the wedding to avoid media attention.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:01:44 AM by Concerned »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »
It was 20 hours after little 9 year-old Calista Cordova went missing that she stood her ground to her abductor with simple words "I'm not going anywhere I'm going to wait for my mom to get here....

She was expected to walk home from her bus and return home after school Thursday. She didn't. Her mom reported her missing. An Amber Alert was issued. No word of her wherabouts for a day. Her captor's car broke down Friday In Colorado Springs, with two flat tires. A passerby who thought it was an apparent accident, picked up  Jose Garcia, 29, and Calista and drove them to a gas station.

Upon arriving at the gas station, Calista was the first out of the car and bolted into the gas station. She asked the station attendant to call her uncle, then she proceeded to call 911 herself. Her captor ran into the gas station to get her. That's when she said, "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to wait for my mom to get here..." And she didn't budge.

Former profiler and current NBC Analyst Clint VanDant (sp?) was interviewed about the case on TV. He says sometimes a person abducted only has one chance to survive, and this apparently was hers. He said often a person gets the deer-in-the-headlights look and can't move, but not Calista. He said although she was victimized, she was determined not to be a victim.  He says only 1 in 5 make it and we lose one child every three days to kidnap, assault or murder. Calista was a lucky one. Maybe no luck at all... maybe it was just her very quick instincts, and her strong will. Or, maybe it was some instruction someone gave her along the way.

Whatever it was, it worked. VanDant says never go with an abductor. Always fight. Always run. Always get attention. Not just yell, but yell the situation. For instance, scream "He's not my father. I don't know this man. He is taking me against my will...." If you are in the store, start knocking things off the shelf, make a scene...  If a car approaches you going in one direction, run in the exact opposite direction.....

Calista's perp wanted her to go with him. But she held her ground. And, the perp looked at the store clerk, then ran.

Calista has two black eyes, a hug bruise on her face, and a cut on her lip. Her parents, have her home, once again.

"We have a very, very brave, courageous young lady who did things to save her life, and I'm very, very proud of her," says Interim Colorado Springs police chief Pete Carey.

The perp, well, he is arrested. Police indicate he is being considered for another similar crime in the area that happened to another girl Calista went to school with. They will be checking their files and his background for more unsolved crimes. 

I'm glad you are home Calista. You have probably not only saved yourself, but many many more young girls.

Sources:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089709/Calista-Cordova-9-escapes-kidnapper-911-gas-station-Colorado-Springs.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/quick-thinking-girl-9-escapes-captor/6syg5zk?q=msnbc+videos&rel=msn&from=enus_msnhp&form=msnrll

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »
Thank you Concerned for the wonderful articles.  Yes, there is hope, and miracles do happen.
Elizabeth Smart survived and is no longer a victim. That is the most precious thing of all.

JB

rebelgirl

• Reaching Everyone By Exposing Lies
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
It was 20 hours after little 9 year-old Calista Cordova went missing that she stood her ground to her abductor with simple words "I'm not going anywhere I'm going to wait for my mom to get here....

Wow...so proud of this little girl...I hope someone lets her know she may have saved other children.  She needs to know she was a hero this day.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2012, 08:30:07 AM »
They call him the "Lego Man" and they had the audacity to believe they could launch him into "space." They did. They (Mathew Ho and Asad Muhammad, Toronto teens) weren't looking for fame, just wanted to invent something and test their theories.  You see, many, many people were spending billions upon billions internationally to find a way to launch suborbital trips 62 miles/100 kilometers in altitude and found it "devilishly hard"--this included the likes of Virgin Galactic, XCOR Aerospace, Blue Origin, and Armadillo Aerospace.

All they had was THE man made out of Legos and a thought or two. They were inspired by MIT students who kicked off the $150 balloon mission craze in 2009. In essence they wondered why it was so hard. They thought outside the box. They believed they could send "Lego Man" into "space" at a mere $500. I mean, what's the deal?

So they did. They devoted a couple Saturdays to put together their balloon-borne package which included four cameras, a cell phone GPS with app, a home-sewn parachute and a little handsome Lego guy holding a Canadian flag.  (Can you see the space engineers scratching their heads yet?) When they determined the right wind conditions, and calculated balloon trajectories, they headed to the local soccer field (who needs fancy launch stations anyways). They sent their "rig" up on a weather balloon that cost them $85.

The balloon rose 80,000 feet in 65 minutes with a scheduled disintegration. Lego man, with cameras recording his proud journey, can be seen above the clouds, amongst sunsets, with heaven like views and more as he descended back to Earth within a half-hour. He had a parachute, and plastic-foam box protection (wonder what that cost) and landed 75 miles away from launch point. Of course, the  boys had the cell phone GPS to find the now infamous "Lego Man" and bring him home. And, did I mention, they recorded two videos (now the talk on YouTube) and 1,500 photos. 

(Well don't tell them it wasn't necessarily "space" because they know that...but they made their point--it could be. I mean, if two teens with $500 could get a quarter of the way, isn't it possible big guys--huh????)  It should be able to be done without all the billions that everyone is so concentrated on these days. Their balloon ascended to 80,000 feet, a quarter of the way to outer space boundary, after all.

If you recall SpaceX made three million dollar launches before its first success. It does make you wonder, doesn't it. Granted, launching payloads in orbit may be a bit different than Lego Man journeys, but hmmmm.....

Ho says "We never knew it would be this good." They never knew Lego would send it's congratulations. Media would want interviews. Donations would be made including top-of-the-line cameras to inspire further Lego Man adventures. Or, that a Toronto couple would offer to reimburse their past expenses.

And, perhaps equally important, the lesson of "Lego Man" may also be far-reaching. If we imagine. Sometimes simply, but sometimes with our own new thinking, experience, imagination, and persistence, maybe just maybe the impossible is possible. Even if the experts are already on the case.

Good job Ho and Muhammad. We can't wait to see what else "Lego Man" with Canadian flag, of course, can accomplish. Thanks for taking us on your journey!

What do you say, can Lego Man go all the way for $1,000?

Source: http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/27/10253843-teens-send-toy-above-the-clouds
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:46:16 AM by Concerned »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2012, 08:31:08 AM »
Twin laws. The term is rare to many. Important to a few that matter. It is all about two children born at the same time to the same parents but raised in separate situations. For some it is simply a decision to have them placed in different classrooms while learning. But, for some its more complicated. It's about whether two twins are separated at birth and whether they should ever be able to see each other again. If so, how is that going to work?

Twins aren't always adopted together. Agencies often make the decision on whether the parents adopting should even know the child has a twin. Even if the parents know there is a twin, do they do anything about it? Do they let the child grow up with some sort of relationship with the other?

Meet Lily MacLeod and her identical twin sister Gillian Shaw. Both adopted from China. Separate adoptive parents, both from Ontario. MacLeod's are from Keswick, north of Toronto, while the Shaws are from Amherstburg, just outside of Windsor. As fate had it, both sets of parents adopted through the same agency, and went to China at the same time to pick up their children. At first there was fear as both carried the picture of their soon to be child and feared one baby had been assigned to both parents. But there were two--exact mirror resemblance of each other. The resemblance was obvious. But the agency in China insisted the children were not related, even though they had the same birthday. They placed the girls on blankets next to each other and one turned to the left while the other turned to the right instinctively to touch and play with each other.

It was if they had done that before. It was that day that the MacLeod's and the Shaw's made a pact to be "Twin Laws." Later the families privately confirmed the relationship through DNA/genetics testing.

The term "Twin Laws" is similar to "In Laws" in ways. It carries different meanings to others. They invent the rules as they go along.

They agreed that the identical twins would be raised apart, yet as sisters. Quite unheard of, actually. This is rare. Or, at least rare to know about it. The families are now related, but different. One Catholic the other Presbyterian, but bonded by family. A responsibility to make some effort to sustain a relationship between the girls and get along, even if miles apart. For twins there is a twist. Same age, same life stages, and some competition. Both crawled with their bums in the air. Seven months later both learned to walk the same day. They monitor the length of their hair, their choice in clothes. Different sets of friends, one has other siblings the other doesn't. One can wear make-up, while the other is discouraged. But, make no bones about it the MacLeods and the Shaws now consider their daughters to have a set of parents, a set of aunt/uncle, eight grandparents and are a "blended family" they wouldn't have otherwise. They admit it is not always easy. They know it is not about them, it is all about the girls.

Some twin or sibling families meet once, and their families are too different and never meet again. It doesn't work for all.

It's a cute story. Of two sisters separated at birth, an agency that looked away, and two sets of parents that "got married" the day they found their daughters. And, how two adopted sisters had the chance to grow up knowing each other, against all odds. It's admirable. You wonder, will they go to the same college some day?

"Twin Laws" they are defining them, together.

Hope and praise.

Source:  http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/1140038--identical-twins-adopted-from-china-by-two-different-ontario-families-grow-up-400-km-apart
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:43:34 AM by Concerned »

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »
Wow concerned!.. ..thank you very much for posting this..
They know it is not about them, it is all about the girls.
I have nothing but admiration for the MacLeod and Shaw families who put the twin girls first.....awesome story!

Concerned

• View Profile
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:02:06 AM by Concerned »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2012, 07:53:10 PM »
In 2004, Miguel Morin disappeared. He was 8-months-old then. Today he is 8-years-old, and returning home. His mother is awaiting DNA confirmation that this is her son. She can't wait. Neither can his five other siblings.

Since 2004, when it was believed that the baby's babysitter Krystie Rochelle Tanner (also once the mother's friend, and even the baby's godmother) took him. Investigators lost track of her. Relatives said she just vanished. The case went cold. Infact, it was even closed. In February 2005 Houston prosecutors had enough evidence against Tanner, but no charges were filed because "authorities could not verify the exact date the boy was reported missing." (Seriously?) Today, the chief deputy  of the sheriff's department does not know why the case was closed. The police kept changing personnel responsible for the case.

Little is known about Miquel's experience these past 8 years. There was a complaint that Tanner and her boyfriend were neglecting their two children. They couldn't find the older one. He did have a leg injury last summer. The fact that the "mother" couldn't produce a social security number caused hospital staff to contact child welfare. Tanner used creative excuses, all different. Couldn't quite justify not sending him to school either. So in January the LE began investigating with the missing child's case listings, but that quickly went south because his name had been removed from the national missing children database.  They didn't have his real name anyways, although one of the names Tanner gave him was "Dirty." Caseworkers got tricky and discovered Tanner's older child was reported missing in Houston years earlier.

Today, Miquel sits in foster care, doesn't know his name, lacks education and doesn't know his age. His mother, Auboni Champion-Morin, doesn't know when she will be able to see him. Authorities said she must undergo a DNA test "even though they're sure of his identity." (Seriously?) She makes one thing clear, "I want to hold him in  my arms and let him know who I am," she said. "It's hard for me to hear that he's had no type of education, that he didn't know his age. I want to tell him that I love him." And, hopefully soon... he will know that first hand.

Champion-Morin said, "I prayed every night that he was safe, loved and he would come home one day." These prayers have a good chance of working. Hope. Pray. Hope. Pray. Hope. (You know the routine!)

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mom-reunited-son-vanished-04-15927298?page=2#.T2KZtZi4L8s and http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/national_world&id=8582183

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:56:25 PM by Concerned »

rebelgirl

• Reaching Everyone By Exposing Lies
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »

Since 2004, when it was believed that the baby's babysitter Krystie Rochelle Tanner (also once the mother's friend, and even the baby's godmother) took him. Investigators lost track of her. Relatives said she just vanished. The case went cold. Infact, it was even closed. In February 2005 Houston prosecutors had enough evidence against Tanner, but no charges were filed because "authorities could not verify the exact date the boy was reported missing." (Seriously?) Today, the chief deputy  of the sheriff's department does not know why the case was closed. The police kept changing personnel responsible for the case.

This exactly why I don't understand why they told Kayla LaBelle's mother they would file a report and still haven't. She pregnant! If she is a captive what will happen to her baby before the believe she's missing.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »
Rescues, they come in many forms. This one, though, lets you know what it feels like to be set free against all odds. If you can't view from the link, then go to YouTube and search for "Humpback Whale Shows AMAZING Appreciation After Being Freed From Nets" it is well worth it. A nice visual to keep in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcXU7G6zhjU&feature=related

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
Glad someone was rescued from death row? This little boy is. I think so is his father.

(Photo: Hembree Family/Vetstreet.com)<<this picture is just precious!!!!
http://www.takepart.com/blog-series/paw-and-order/2012/02/02/dog-saved-death-row-dedicates-her-life-disabled-boy