Author Topic: Just in Case You Need Some Hope Today  (Read 101629 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Just in Case You Need Some Hope Today
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2012, 11:18:31 AM »
Went to the grocery store this morning. An announcement rang overhead. "Boy, 9, missing." Thought maybe a boy was at the front desk missing his mother. Saw people walking aisle to aisle looking. Then within two minutes another announcements, "Folks, we have a nine year old boy missing, blond hair..." And, before you knew it almost every mother in sight left her cart. Some went aisle to aisle. Others went to the doors and didn't let anyone out, or in. Guys looked around. Some ran out to the parking lot. Those with a child stood in place with their kids in their arms.

Then, another announcement. "Folks, we wish to thank you. The boy has been located." Women walked back to their carts. Some had tears.

Happy Mother's Day.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2012, 07:31:40 PM »
Rogue Orlando Montenegro, known as "Toti" was 20 when he disappeared in Buenos Aires in February 1976. He left behind a daughter only a few days old. It was in the midst of Argentina's so-called Dirty War that began when Marxist sympathizers were targeted by the military regime. Some were executed. Some went missing. Rogue went missing.

In 2000, Victoria Montenegro, Rogue's daughter, at the age of 24 learned that she was "appropriated" and a military couple had raised her.  Appropriated means "children whose parents were killed or disappeared during the Dirty War." She turned to Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo (May Square Grandmothers), an organization devoted to helping those who were taken away from their politically persecuted parents at a young age. The military couple told her that her biological parents had died in Buenos Aires in a shootout.

In 2002, The Argentinian Forensic Anthropology Team (EEAF), an independent organization, exhumed eight unidentified bodies located in a cemetery in Colonia, Uroguay. They didn't know how the bodies got there. They worked tirelessly to find out.

In 2007, the EEAF began the process of matching the DNA of unidentified bodies with that relatives of the missing. Victoria was one of 8,500 whose DNA was taken over a four year period.

This year, 2012, EEAF matched Victoria and Rogue's DNA.  The odds were against the discovery, primarily because the remains were discovered in another country. And it has been nearly 26 years of unanswered questions. DNA kits were compared across borders.

Although they don't know exactly why Rogue's remains were found in another country, the EEAF surmises Rogue was killed during a "dirty-flights" where military flights threw political prisoners who were alive into the sea.  They believe his body washed ashore on the Uruguayan coast where he and seven others were provided a nameless tombstone in the cemetary in Colonia.

Victoria calls it a "miracle" that the Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo organization took her blood. "Recovering my true identity was paramount," she said. "As painful as it may be, we need to find the truth about our history," she said. "By exhuming and identifying our loved ones after all these years, we give them back their identity."

Today, Victoria is still searching for her mother. She has no clues. Her "appropriators" (her words for her adoptive parents) are deceased. But, she has a son, age 20, who is as old as her father was when he disappeared.

They have hope.

(Bless those two organizations for caring so much, and finding answers for a few, over many years.) Heavenly hope.

Source:  http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/24/world/americas/argentina-body-identified/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2012, 06:07:15 AM »
Can you imagine. Being adopted at birth and always wondering who your parent is and if you will ever know them your biological parents. Sometimes time is against you. Sometimes luck is on your side.

For a man in Michigan, luck was on his side. He had been searching for his mother for years. But he was spelling her name incorrectly. When he realized, his search became easier. In fact, he found her. Her address was within close distance from his work, Lowe's. He told a co-worker that he had finally tracked his mother down, but had her last named spelled wrong. The co-worker said, "You mean the same spelling of the clerk's last name up front?"

Low and behold his co-worker is his biological mother. They had been working together for months. They finally found each other.

Wonderful story.

Source:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by2pkCyH3J0&feature=related

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »
http://news.sympatico.cbc.ca/locNEWS 
Wrong number may have saved N.S. woman's life
13/07/2012 4:09:11 AMCBC News

A woman from the Kentville, N.S., area who was in distress called a wrong number, which may have saved her life.
Eileen O'Hara, who's blind, thought she was having a stroke and dialed what she thought was her daughter's number.
By mistake, the 77-year-old called Stephen Dykens.
Dykens was driving home to drop off his dog when O'Hara's call suddenly changed his plans.
"I was going to ignore it, and she said, 'I'm scared, I can't find my daughter and I think I'm having a stroke,' and when she said the word stroke that made me think, 'Wow this person really needs some help,'" Dykens said.

After Dykens discovered where she lived, he realized he was just minutes away.
"I looked up at that moment and the Greenwich Road sign was right there so I said 'We're here, we got to help ya,'" he said.
Dykens and his passenger rushed to her door and did what they could while they waited for an ambulance after calling 911.

"I was afraid to walk, but I opened the door to let them in and they came in to rescue me," O'Hara said.
"I just sort of bent down on my knee and had my hand on her leg and just kind tried to talk calmly and assure her that help was on the way," Dykens said.

O'Hara, who has lung and brain cancer, was taken to hospital and treated for bleeding in her brain.

She says she's grateful for the kindness of strangers.
"I'd say thank you very much, I appreciate it," she said with tears in her eyes.
Ruth Gaul, O'Hara's daughter, says words are not enough.
"What do you do when that happens? You just say thank you over and over again, and I would like to meet him and thank him in person," Gaul said.

But Dykens says he doesn't consider himself a hero.
"It's not that big a deal, I can't see why anyone else wouldn't do it, I mean it's just kind of wild that she called the right car going by," he said.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »
There are more than 1,400 long-term missing person cases.
Of the 1,400 missing person's cases, OPP handles 300 of them.
The OPP has estimated 200 unidentified body cases can range from homicides to natural deaths.
In May 2006, the Ontario Provincial Police Missing Persons and Unidentified Bodies Unit launched its website.
Since May, 45 missing persons and 13 unidentified bodies cases have been resolved.
In 2014 they expect to launch a inaugural national database -- a multi-mimillion dollar analytical software program with informaiton about missing and unidentified human remains; sparked by the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police.

By centralizing the information, police forces will be able to make comparisons and more easily identify patterns in cases from one coast to another.

This is progress! Nice work.

Source:  http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/04/09/police-step-up-search-for-missing-persons
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:56:38 AM by Concerned »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
His name is Titan and he is 6 years old. He resides in Lawrenceville, GA.

Eight weeks ago, he came to the aid of Gloria Benton in the wee morning hours when she had fallen and broken her hip. Again in July 2011, Titan began behaving strangely, not letting Gloria's husband Benton leave the house. Titan positioned himself between the door and Benton not letting him leave the house. His actions made Benton walk back upstairs to find his wife had suffered a brain aneurysm and fallen causing a skull fracture.

Titan is a pit bull. Gloria will tell you she wasn't so keen, at first, having Titan around. Today, she thinks "He is so special. And you just can't give him enough love. He loves to be loved on."

Titan is the second runner up for the fifth annual Dogs of Valor Award from the Human Society.

Good job Titan. Lets all love on him.

Source:  http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/pitbull-honored-hero-163051715.html

SAP

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »
Not meaning to make this into a thread about dogs, but the article is very catching. Pitbulls are underestimated and over "devilized" for lack of a better word. When they are raised in a loving environment (as any dog really) they are not the vicious creatures that many make them out to be. Vicious pitbulls are the product of people who haven't learned how to train/raise them for protection. Titan is a great example of love and bonding with his humans. :)

SAP

« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2012, 08:42:06 AM »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2012, 06:03:48 AM »
She was listed as "missing" or "a runaway juvenile" a 15 year-old girl from St. Louis, MO, just disappeared on April 2010. No one could find her. No trace. No clue. (We've heard this many times, haven't we?). Then nearly two years later, Washington Park authorities raided a house and took a 24-year-old man and his mother into custody. It is believed that the captor's mother was in on it.

In those two years the girl, now 17, reports she was held against her will, beaten, and sexually assaulted almost daily. She tried to escape several times but was chased and brought back to the house at gunpoint. She was forced to give a false name during birth of her child. Neighbor's of the captor's house said they never witnessed anything that would raise concern. A "relative" helped her to escape, and this time it worked.

The girl is free, and with her comes her child, the result of a rape by her captor. It took two dozen SWAT team members wearing helmets and body armor, armed with assault rifles to rescue the baby.

There are blessings that live in hope.

Source:  http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/usatoday/article/57265696?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFrontpage%7Cp

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
Perhaps hope lies in the search party!

Missing woman unwittingly joins search party looking for herself

QMI AGENCY

FIRST POSTED: TUESDAY, AUGUST 28, 2012 07:17 PM EDT

A group of tourists spent hours Saturday night looking for a missing woman near Iceland's Eldgja canyon, only to find her among the search party.

The group was travelling through Iceland on a tour bus and stopped near the volcanic canyon in the southern highlands Saturday afternoon, reports the Icelandic news organization mbl.is.

One of the women on the bus left to change her clothes and freshen up. When she came back, her busmates didn't recognize her.

Soon, there was word of a missing passenger. The woman didn't recognize the description of herself, and joined in the search.

About 50 people searched the terrain by vehicles and on foot. The coast guard was even readying a helicopter to help.

But the search was called off at about 3 a.m., when it became clear the missing woman was, in fact, accounted for and searching for herself.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/28/missing-woman-unwittingly-joins-search-party-for-herself?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=recommend-button&utm_campaign=Missing%20woman%20unwittingly%20joins%20search%20party%20looking%20for%20herself

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2012, 05:10:13 AM »
A TV news report. An alert teen...a missing man found.

Missing man located, Sydney Barnes, 96, Police thank media and 14−year−old girl
Broadcast time: 09:42 Tuesday, September 4, 2012
42 Division 416−808−4200

The Toronto Police Service would like to thank the media and, especially, a 14−year−old girl for their assistance locating a missing man.

Sydney Barnes, 96, was last seen on Sunday, September 2, 2012, in the Horseley Hill Drive/Tapscott Road area.
See previous release.

He was located on Monday, September 3, 2012, at 1:15 p.m., in Etobicoke, when the girl insisted her mother stop the car after the girl saw the man who had been reported missing on the news the night before.

Constable Victor Kwong, Corporate Communications
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/24414.pdf

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
good for her, bet her mom is proud of her now.