Author Topic: Just in Case You Need Some Hope Today  (Read 100248 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Just in Case You Need Some Hope Today
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:35:36 PM »
When you search for someone missing and feel like you have failed in all your attempts to bring them home, you need some hope. It gets lonely. You have fear. You feel so incredibly powerless. And, then there is hope. 

This thread is about Hope; just in case you need some hope today.  May God bless you, if you do.

Many of you may recall a boy who went missing on October 6, 2002, while riding his bike. He went missing for 1558 days, at the hands of a guy who took it upon himself to take the boy, on a rural road, back to his home. Shawn went through things no one, no boy, should ever have to go through.  But when he was missing he would see posters or see their online pleas from his parents who were still looking for him. His quote:

"There was a time when I was thinking about giving up, but then I just thought of what they were doing and searching for me and looking for me. And then I knew they weren't giving up so I figured I shouldn't"
   - Shawn Hornbeck, 1/17/2007

Shawn was found on January 15, 2007 and brought back to his parents' loving arms and an embracing community.

On January 12, 2008, one year later, Shawn posted this message:
"This upcoming weekend is a very special. On the 12th it will be a whole year I have been home. There are so many people I have met this past year. All of them are really good people. Most of them have searched for me or for other missing kids. I have also leaned a lot too since I started to school. I have met some really cool people. Even though I am the oldest kid at my school I get along with everyone really well. It was weird at first starting school again. I've come to enjoy it though and like all of my teachers. There are even some teachers that aren't mine that I am good friends with. "

"I am so glad to be home. There is nothing else that can match the love of your family. For four and one half years I wasn't able to have that feeling. On January 12, 2007 my life changed again - it was the happiest and best day of my life."

And, his parents, Craig and Pan Akers, posted this message:
Today marks the one year anniversary of Shawn's miraculous rescue and return to his family. It hardly seems possible that a year has passed since his return - a year filled with hope, love, laughter and joy. Shawn has made remarkable progress in every aspect of his life. Educationally he has excelled in every subject, making extraordinary strides forward to reach his current 9th grade placement and 3.96 grade point average. Emotionally Shawn has also made great progress in coping with the horrific events that defined his abduction and captivity. We are so very proud of the progress he has made in every aspect of his life. Listening to his laughter and seeing the sparkle in his eyes makes every hardship we endured during his captivity seem so distant and insignificant."

"We ask that everyone join us in our celebration on January 12 by spending the day with their family and loved ones. Pick an activity the whole family enjoys and can participate in and let laughter fill the air. Thanks again to everyone who stood by us in our days of darkness and all those that have been there to share in our days of sunshine. We truly appreciate the displays of kindness and generosity that have graced us from the very beginning of this ordeal."

These messages and more can be found at:  http://www.shawnhornbeck.com/

There is always hope.

Hope.

Woodland

• View Profile
Re: Just in Case You Need Some Hope Today
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:52:45 PM »
Concerned - your words along with the quotes are so beautiful.  I have not walked in your shoes, but you have taught me much today.  Thank-you.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:31:42 PM »

I also followed both of the stories that you posted about here Concerned. In both cases it was miraculous to me that each of these children was returned safe and sound to their family. Unfortunately I have to say that I have walked in your shoes. I know what it is like to have a loved one go missing.

You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself with words and the beautiful things you have written will be a source of hope and inspiration to any who feel they are in need of that. Thank you.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »
Woodland and debbiec, the people on this site give energy. It's like that scenario where you feel like you are in a boat alongside a bunch of others all with a row, rowing.  And there comes that moment when you feel you can't row again, so you stop and you just don't have the strength to push that ore through the rough and rocky waters, and all the others keep rowing, and rowing, and rowing.  They don't stop. And, soon you learn from their energy and you pick up and row again.  You know someday, one of them might have to stop too, but that's ok, they'll row again.  I can only hope that those that are missing will know that there are those rowing for them. Those that never even knew them and those that love them. And, we can't wait until they can pick up their ore and row alongside us.  Now, wouldn't that be heavenly.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:37:51 PM by Concerned »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »
Concerned - you are a 'light' in shining armour - showing others the way.  I'm proud to be an aquaintence.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 09:30:40 AM »
Little Jessie Chmiel is 3 years old. He was helping his family get ready for a bonfire on his family's farm in Bradford, near Toronto. And, he disappeared around 7 p.m.  There are vast fields of corn almost three metres high. High enough to lose an adult, much less a child of 3. The family looked but needed help. They needed immediate help.

Not to wait for three days when they can issue an Amber Alert. It was dark, and cold, and the air was filled with bugs. They got help. Yes, immediately. Not by one police force, but by four. Yes, four. My, how things have changed.

The Simcoe Police, Durham Regional Police, RCMP and York Regional in tandem, at immediate notice, went into action. They took it seriously. The boy needed to be found and time was, quite frankly, of essence. They didn't wait until morning, after a good night's sleep, after an official missing person's wait period, or to agree over jurisdiction. There was ground, and air, and canine units. And, twelve hours later there was little 3-year-old Jessie Chmiel. He was a little cold and covered in bug bites. He asked for his daddy who carried him out of the cornfield.

And, then he wanted another ride on the ATV.

The father admitted that without the help of those that rushed on scene, the ending could have been much different, "They are the heroes in this story. I can't tell you how much gratitude my family and myself owe them." 

Let's see, immediate assistance, serious search efforts, cooperation amongst law enforcement at all levels, and persistence...we can't agree more.

Things change. We get better. We have better results. We have hope.

Hope.

For the dad's interview:  http://www.globaltoronto.com/found+safe+after+night+spent+corn+field/3343425/story.html

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:06:47 AM »
On February 26, 2010, a 54-year-old woman from Moncton was leaving work at Highfield Square Mall. She was excited to get home to watch the men's semi-final hockey game at the Olympics. She is a hockey fanatic. She didn't know her daughters who lived a distance away were planning a Skype call that night to let her know she was going to be a grandmother, again--and again!

Instead, Romeo Jacques Cormier, 62, decided she wouldn't get the chance to go home. According to the charges filed later, he would allegedly commit forcible confinement, assault with a weapon, sexual assault, utter threats and steal money from her.  He had done something similar to an elderly couple when he broke into their home and held a knife to their throats with demands. He had done this before.

The Moncton woman would hear about her new grandmother status from the television in the basement of Cormier's existence, during the next 24 days he assaulted her.

Then on March 24, Cormier left for food or supplies, and she escaped the house, past a guy sitting on the porch of the house next door and into the street towards a truck traveling down the road. He stopped even though she was only in a T-shirt and some underclothing. He let her in the truck even though he didn't know her, the nature of her distress, if the guy on the porch was a danger, or the danger he may be in. But, he knew what was right. And, he did it.

He took her directly to the police station. She had the opportunity to come home after 27 days captivity.

They say when she was reunited with her husband, they shared a long, long hug.

One of the first things she said to her daughters was "Congratulations."

Her daughter says, "We always knew she was a fantastic mother. We always knew she was strong and people have been commenting to us, just saying that we had strength, but we get it from her," she says. "I know that now and again, I'm just absolutely blown away how much strength she actually does have and I admire her even more, something I didn't know I could do."

The Moncton woman says she would see the media support, the family's efforts and the community outpouring and that is what gave her hope.

And, to the truck driver, the Moncton woman issued a statement from the hospital: "I would like to send a special thanks to my guardian angel, the driver who picked me up moments after my escape. Although my recovery will take time, I know that the strength of my family will help me through. Please accept my appreciation for all the support that was shown to my family during this time."

A news article reported the following:

The woman's two daughters, who live in Ontario, have been in Moncton since she disappeared Feb. 26. After weeks of waiting for any scrap of news, they were out of the house when word first came that their mother had been found alive.

"It was probably the first day that we let our guard down," her daughter says. "None of us had our cell phones on, so we had gone to the mall for an hour and when we pulled into the driveway some family and friends were waiting there for us and they just opened the door and started screaming and everyone was screaming. I can't even explain to you. It's what we'd been waiting for, but in all honesty had begun to lose hope that it was ever going to happen."

The woman's husband did not appear at a news conference the family held at Codiac Regional RCMP headquarters yesterday afternoon, but his daughters say he is overjoyed to have his wife home. At previous news conferences held while the woman was still missing, the pain he was going through was more than evident on his face. He often broke down in tears when trying to answer media questions about his missing wife.

"I wish you could see his smile," his younger daughter says when asked about how he is doing now. "When we got our mother back, we got our father back too. He's got his life back. He is just so happy."

The woman's younger daughter read a short statement on her mother's behalf.

"I would like you to know that I am so happy to have this horrible experience come to an end," the woman wrote. "Being home with family is the mental image that kept me focused on surviving each day and now is reality again.

"I would like to send a special thanks to my guardian angel, the driver who picked me up moments after my escape. Although my recovery will take time, I know that the strength of my family will help me through. Please accept my appreciation for all the support that was shown to my family during this time."

One of the woman's sisters lives in Riverview. She says the family never doubted for a second that something terrible had befallen her.

She says the worst part of the whole ordeal was just sitting around imagining all of the bad things that could be happening to her sister.

"And not knowing if she was alive or dead. Not knowing was brutal," she says, adding it was devastating and frustrating to have 600 tips come in and still not have a single clue that would lead them to their sister.

"The feeling of helplessness was getting stronger as the days went on. I pictured myself at 80 years old still having hope that she is out there."

The woman's family never completely gave up hope that they would find their mother, wife, and sister alive. Throughout the ordeal they continued to say they had a strong feeling that she was still out there.

You can read more at: 
Mom's return 'a miracle'
Published Friday March 26th, 2010
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/997504

Miracles do happen.

Hope.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 07:36:45 PM »
Some may not agree that finding your loved one, and bringing them home is always a sign of hope. But, some, will understand.

http://www.allvoices.com/s/event-6491367/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5teWZveHBob2VuaXguY29tL2RwcC9uZXdzL2xvY2FsL2ZsYWdzdGFmZi9kaXN0YW50LWNvdXNpbi1maW5kcy1yZW1haW5zLTgtMTEtMjAxMA==

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »
A Texas grandmother, Sharrel Blankenbaker, did the right thing. Most grandmother's would know, she did the only possible thing. She gave her life to save her granddaughter from the hands of an abducter, and in doing so, she probably saved an already abducted 11-year-old girl, and possibly so many more in the future. 

When stopped at the gas station a man grabbed the granddaughter, but the grandmother did, too. The man threatened the grandmother that he would kill the grandmother if she didn't let go and the grandmother didn't let go. The man shot grandmother but she broke her granddaughter free in doing so. The granddaughter ran for help. A tough decision for her to chose to help her grandmother, or run for help. The granddaughter chose to get help rationalizing rather that if she stopped for her grandmother the perp would probably take her.

It was discovered that the man had abducted an 11-year-old girl earlier that day, and tried to abduct two others unsuccessfully, as well. The guy was gunned down by police within hours of the grandmother being shot. Unfortunately, the grandmother was shot in front of three of her grandchildren. She died later that day in the hospital.

The granddaughter Cassidy Blankenbaker states, "I hope that when I'm older, that I can be exactly like her. I want to be the best mother-in-law, mother, grandmother, just be her. She was my role model. She was, I think, the woman everyone should be."

I couldn't agree with you more Cassidy. And, I would like to say, you did the right thing. What you did was the best chance that your grandmother could get help.  And, for the record, thanks to grandma Blankenbaker, Cassidy, I have no doubt you will undoubtedly do just that.

...be the woman everyone should be. I am so glad you have that opportunity.

There is hope.

Girl Mourns Hero Grandma Who Thwarted Kidnapper
(Aug. 17) -- Cassidy Blankenbaker says her grandmother died defending her from a violent kidnapper. The 12-year-old is calling her grandmother, Sharrel Blankenbaker, a hero for saving her from a man who tried to grab her at a gas station in Texas earlier this month...
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/video-cassidy-blankenbaker-12-mourns-hero-grandma-sharrel-blankenbaker/19596812
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:14:18 PM by Concerned »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »
Maybe you saw the tribute John Walsh made to Frank Bender, a long-time friend of the America's Most Wanted show. Frank Bender spent decades volunteering his time to fill a need that many on this site have in trying to connect found unidentified human remains with family members that are looking for their missing loved ones. Trying to solve, unsolvable crimes. He does this free-of-charge, on his own time. He is successful.

Frank Bender is a talented commercial photographer, turned sculptor and forensic artist.  After his naval service he found himself in a morgue during an art anatomy class where his mission was to create a bust from a badly damaged body. His bust led to the successful identification of a murder victim and started his interest in forensic science.  Sadly, just recently Bender worked on his last bust which was featured on AMW this month. Reportedly, Bender not only helped on AMW, but worked with police departments on many levels, the FBI, and with the governments of many countries. He started sculpting busts before computer-generated images were invented. Last year, he briefly stopped working while he spent the year caring for his wife who died from lung cancer.

Sadly, Frank will no longer be able to continue his work, as he was diagnosed with Mesothelioma which is an aggressive cancer. So far he has lived longer than doctor's thought he would. Infact, while sick he was on a mission of his own to save another little girl who remains unidentified, but Bender wants her to find her way home. AMW featured the work, and a tribute to Frank Bender, with one of the most heartfelt well wishes and sincere appreciation for all Bender has done for others out of the shear beauty of his heart, for a significant part of his life.  John Walsh stated that when Bender makes his final journey home, he believes Bender will be picked up in a rolls royce and taken to his next stop.

In his lifetime, on his own time, Bender was key in solving at least nine murders and helping to track many criminals, including Emil List a New Jersey accountant who killed his wife, mother and children before disappearing. He was called upon by the US when Mexican authorities asked for assistance in solving the feminididios of 400 female murder victims.  "The busts are based in part on the painstaking application of forensic science and art to fleshless human skulls and in part on deep intuition, an uncanny ability to discern not only a missing face but the personality behind it," reported Ted Botha in a book about Bender. Drawn to one particular skull, Bender worked in secrecy, under a culture of corruption, with casual violence, and even receiving anonymous threats --he worked on eight skulls.

His motivation:  He believed these individuals have been almost forgotten, except by their family. He wanted to bring them home.

And, I sincerely wish, as Bender journeys to a new home with his wife,  he will know that he too is tremendously appreciated and will not be forgotten. He has given us so much hope and so much faith in the goodness of mankind and what tomorrow will bring. God bless you.

When there are Benders, there is hope.

For the AMW tribute:
http://www.amw.com/features/feature_story_detail.cfm?id=3905&mid=0&refresh=1

For Bender's Website:
http://www.frankbender.us/

For an article about Bender:
http://blog.mesotheliomahelp.net/2010/08/americas-most-wanted-pays-tribute-to-frank-bender-as-he-battles-mesothelioma.asp
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:53:16 PM by Concerned »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 06:11:15 PM »
They took Happy Jack to camp. They had adopted the 9-year-old dog from a rescue years ago. Happy Jack had three legs, was blind and was deaf. They took him camping, but unlike other times, Happy Jack wandered away from camp. They got on their horses, woke adjacent campers up, who all jumped on their ATV's, their motorcycles, and their horses and joined in the search. But they didn't find Happy Jack. Then three weeks later, a group of horse riders who had seen Happy Jack posters, were determined to find him. They did, out of the corner of their eye, when canvassing a trail. He was hungry, perhaps tired, and reportedly barely alive. They called Keter, Happy Jack's owner, from the number on the poster. Keter had had sleepless nights, days of calling vets and area shelters. But now, Keter has Happy Jack.

There is hope.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/24709887/detail.html?source=bend

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 06:15:04 PM »
What a nice story C.  You always find a happy ending to share.  Thank you for that.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »
WGRZ-TV posted a note to would-be bank robbers on August 21, 2010, simply stating "When robbing a bank, be sure to put on your mask." You see, the bank robber had a dust mask secured around his neck, but in the excitement of robbing a bank and terrorizing bank tellers, he must have forgotten to pull the dust mask over his face when he walked into the HSBC bank in Eden, south of Buffalo, in the states. He did, however, remember to walk into the bank, hand the bank teller a note demanding money. And, the bank video shows the beautifully positioned dust mask centered around his neck. And, they believe perhaps, his friend may have noticed it too, because in the middle of the bank robbery he gets a phone call. Nobody is saying what was said, but he did grab the note and high-tailed it out of the bank into a get-away car. He does remain at large at the moment.

Just a good reminder that in crime, mistakes happen. That's a good thing.

Hope.

Information from: WGRZ-TV, http://www.wgrz.com

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 09:16:35 PM »
Samantha Goodyear came home last night. Her parents were able to hug her. I bet that was some hug!

Hope.