Author Topic: Ann Marie Shirran | Murdered | St. John's (July 18, 2010)  (Read 45784 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Marie Shirran, July 18, 2010 - Missing from St. John's:
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 04:33:58 PM »
sometimes when couples have a disagreement, one will be so mad, they'll say "I'm going for a walk".  ....and usually take their personal things, like purse and phone.... most people even take their phone in the laundy room with them nowadays ....

If they were having "words", I could see her do this and not bother coming back .... and him not bother looking for her.  .... that's if she went for a walk during a heated disagreement; especially is they get angry with each other, or have disagreements all the time???

Other than that, nothing is normal about your partner leaving for a walk and "disappearing" out of the blue!   .... and you not getting worried about their well being for all that time.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 04:49:19 PM »
that's the bottom line Chet.... a person "of age" is not considered legally missing before the 24-hr mark.  ...and that's too bad; because the trail of a would-be killer, or if there's an abductor, could have been pretty cold and contaminated by that time.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 05:53:26 PM »
Chet, I did think of that, the 24 hour deal about an adult gone missing. But if this person was not in the habit of staying out, surely we do not know what the spouse did in the hours before it was officially reported. It would be helpful to know what his actions were, but I guess we won't know that unless someone from the area can tell us some information.  :o :o :o :o :o

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 03:51:07 PM »
Capehart has asked all of the questions that I would ask.  But, remember it was stated that she had limited funds. This is often the case of an abused woman (am I jumping to conclusions re: abuse?) ..perhaps. She could not travel very far on limited funds.  Also wearing flip flops, can't walk too far in those.  Seen leaving after dark. No mention of time. Who would go for a walk in the dark with  no funds, and not even wearing a sweater.  or decent shoes.  Doesn't look good for the boyfriend. Who said that they saw her leave? Did a neighbour see her leave - or was it the boyfriend? I think the police suspect foul play but are not saying anything.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:02:21 PM by jellybean »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »
Jellybean, all questions I had asked earlier. It was many hours after she went missing that the boyfriend reported her missing. I hope the police have gone into the home with a search warrant and looked for some evidence. The laws have to be changed regarding a missing spouse. The police should have the right to go in with a search warrant if a person is missing. If the police had asked for permission to search the home, they should have gone in there and went through it with a fine tooth comb. Then they could rule the companion out. But unless they have looked into the home for clues, they are wasting time on this case. What will they do, wait until three years from now and say, oh, the boyfriend is the one, the companion, but we cannot prove it. Hooey on this crap, they have to start going in at the getgo and get to the bottom of it. If the boyfriend has nothing to hide, well so be it. But it looks like the light is shining brightly on her companion. She wasn't reported missing for many hours. He apparently is the only one who saw her leave and that is the story, very convenient. I makes me sick when there is lack of investigation in the early part of these cases. Sorry for going into a rant, but it just seems we hear the same story so many times.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »
Yes, you asked all of the questions that I would have asked. Regardless, the police have to wait 24 hours, and sad to say in many cases, they wait three days before they will even consider putting out a missing persons report.  I would not be surprised if he is already under the radar, and since they are checking bodies of water, etc., they are probably looking for someone who is deceased.  The statement that Anne Marie had very little money was given in such a way to infer that she never had much money generally.  I don't believe she left the house on her own. That being said, we must still hope and pray that she returns home safely, and that we are 100% wrong.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
I googled kilbride newfound news and got the cbc.ca and this is the article that I found there.  It is worth reading, as there are many comments from people, that follows, which may be helpful. To access the comments, go thru google.
A search for a missing St. John's woman widened on Friday to include a city park and waterways near her residence.

Ann Marie Shirran, 32, was last seen at Brennan Field, near her home in the Kilbride area of the Newfoundland and Labrador capital.
Ann Marie Shirran has not been seen since last Sunday. Ann Marie Shirran has not been seen since last Sunday. (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary)

Volunteer searchers continued to look through nearby fields and trails, as well as an area in Bowring Park.

A helicopter that had participated in the search on Thursday was not able to fly on Friday because of foggy weather. The chopper had surveyed the Densmore's Lane area of the neighbourhood from the air.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary opened a missing-person file on Shirran on Wednesday.

"We are right now concerned about her well-being, and we would like to obtain any information in regards to her whereabouts to confirm her well-being," Const. Suzanne FitzGerald said Thursday.

Friends said Shirran lived with her boyfriend and her one-year-old son, and said that her child had not been out of her sight since he was born. They say she left the house for a walk on Sunday morning, but never returned.

Volunteer searchers were expected to return to trails and woods in the area Friday.

Police describe her as being six feet tall with brown-auburn shoulder-length hair. She was wearing black capri pants, a white sleeveless top and flip-flops.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2010/07/23/missing-woman-kilbride-stjohns-723.html#socialcomments#ixzz0wA79sIRv

justice

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 08:36:59 PM »
You know, I have been thinking about this for awhile now, how many missing people start off with being being reported missing and having to wait 24 hours for police action, now I am not blaming police I am blaming policy.  What is that saying a stitch in time saves nine.  I realize that this would increase policing man hours, but how many lives would it save or at the very least how many would it solve.  Everyone knows how important the early hours of a crime are.  Something needs to be done.  Especially with all the increase of abduction, murders, etc.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 09:30:07 PM »
I believe that under certain circumstances,a search should be underway quickly. We have Amber Alert, which also should be changed, but we do not have anything for adults. I think tho, all too often, a partner will leave for a few days, and return home. Now if this policy applied to all who went missing, we would constantly have the police on the go, and search teams kept busy all of the time.  But common sense should prevail, and this is not always the case. Often it is too late and too late.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
If a person goes for a walk and are expected back within a certain period of time, especially at night time, considerations should be given if they are reported missing. Once family members and friends are called and the hospital, to see if the person has been hurt or dropped in to see a relative, then a search should begin. What would it cost for just a local group of friends and neighbours and a couple of police to see what may have happened to someone, especially a woman. I also do not know why this woman would go for a walk at 10:00 p.m. In my neighbourhood, I would go with a friend for a short walk, but not alone and I live in a pretty safe place. Now in C.B. we have coyote problems and they aren't getting any better. So people who would go out in the country in the evening would certainly be cautious. We were just told yesterday that there are 8000 coyotes on Cape Breton Island, that is a lot. And attacks have been reported. Just this week a young woman was attacked while sleeping, at a campground in Northern Cape Breton. So in Newfoundland, I don't know if they have any such predators as we do here. Hopefully soon, they will have something about Ann. If she has left of her own free will and left the island, I do hope she is safe. My thoughts are, is her companion the father of her baby???? :( :( :( :( :(

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
In the last article from cbc.ca, it stated that she left the house Sunday morning for a walk.
Honestly, the reporting stinks.  Which is it? Evening, or morning. In the comment section of this article, a woman wrote that she would see her with her child at the park, and that she never left his side.  So, i can't imagine her leaving him behind, should she have decided to leave the relationship.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »
Jellybean, that could be a possibility. And if she was afraid of her companion, that is exactly what she should have done, disappear. Now he may have told her he would never allow her to take the baby away and that is why she left. If she was afraid he might hurt the child, I do not think she would have left the baby there. However, when one lives in a small community usually they know if the boyfriend is abusive. I had noted I thought that Ann went for the walk in the evening, I believe that is what was posted. I do hope she is safe. But when a spouse is the last known one to see the person, that is suspicious. ::) ::) ::) ::)

ladyt

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »
I believe she said she was going out and left around 9 or so in the evening (reporting does suck).
Taken from the Facebook group:
"She was not meeting with any one. She just said she was going out for a bit. We have no idea where she intended to go or if there was an intended destination."
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=141568745869039&topic=127#!/topic.php?uid=141568745869039&topic=127

I've edited this post because I feel that it may spread rumours or perhaps upset family/friends. I didn't realize there were so many people viewing this forum.

I find it odd that she left on Sunday night to go out for a little while and didn't return but it wasn't reported until Monday. What's even more shocking is that the police didn't do anything about it until Wednesday!!! That's crazy! Is it normal for them to wait 48 hours???
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:44:58 PM by ladyt »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 08:12:02 PM »
Ladyt.  Thank you so much for giving us this link on Facebook. Yes, its funny abut rumours.  The way that they can build up and alter perceptions about someone.  Never to the advantage of the person, I might add.  However, she certainly has a lot of friends who care about her, and are frantic with worry.

Rick1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 12:21:13 PM »
You people have no idea. Stop the speculation. You don't know Ann Marie and the rumors aren't helping the family. Let the investigators do their work. >:( >:(