Author Topic: Lyle and Marie McCann: St. Albert  (Read 350887 times)

SAP

Lyle and Marie McCann: St. Albert
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:20:41 AM »
July 5th, the McCann's motohome was found engulfed in flames, but the couple and their green Hyundai Tucson SUV were missing. Other reports state they had a cell with them however family cannot reach them. My assumption is that possibly as they came home to thier motorhome in a remote area behind Edson they may have surprised some intruders. Whatever happened next may have needed to be covered up by a fire and they were compelled to leave with whomever in the car. How sad. This couple never reached their destination in B.C....SAP

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100714/missing-alberta-couple-100714/20100714/?hub=CalgaryHome

The son of a missing Alberta couple continues to hold on to hope as he appeals for the public's help in their suspicious disappearance.

"We know you're out there. You may be hurt," Bret McCann said Tuesday. "But we're looking as hard as we can for you."

Lyle McCann, 78, and his wife Marie, 77, were last seen July 3 in surveillance video while at a gas station in their hometown of St. Albert, Alta. Two days later, their motorhome was found engulfed in flames near a remote wooded area near Edson, Alta.

However, the RCMP didn't begin searching for the couple until July 10, when their family reported them missing.

"They were going to pick up (my sister) at the Abbotsford, B.C. airport and spend a week together camping near Chilliwack area but they didn't show up," McCann told CTV's Canada AM Wednesday. "That's when we found out that they were missing."

The RCMP has characterized the couple's disappearance as "extremely suspicious."

Both police and family think the key to the case is the couple's missing green Hyundai Tucson SUV.

"We need to get the word out to people, they were towing a Hyundai SUV behind them, and that has not been found," McCann said. "We are very hopeful that by doing these media broadcasts that people will be alerted to this and be on the lookout . . . and phone the police."

"We are hoping my parents are somehow with that vehicle, they might be hurt, but we hope we can find them through that."

The RCMP is rechecking the area where the motorhome went missing for clues and an aerial and ground search is underway.

The Mounties have faced criticism for their actions following the discovery of the burning motorhome and why more efforts weren't made to search for the couple.

"We get lots of stolen vehicles that are burned in isolated locations, that happens on a fairly regular basis," Alberta RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Patrick Webb said Tuesday.

"Every detachment, I would venture to say every RCMP member at one time or another, has investigated a stolen vehicle or an abandoned vehicle that is burned for some reason or other."

The Mounties are now examining whether proper procedures were followed after the burning vehicle was identified as belonging to the McCanns. Officers called the couple's home and knocked on their door but did not find them.

Bret McCann says he has faith in the RCMP, however.

"The RCMP are fully engaged here," he said. "They are keeping us up-to-date every day."

The RCMP has been monitoring the couple's cellphone and credit card usage, but report there has been no activity since July 5.

On Sunday, Bret McCann started a Facebook dedicated to the search for his parents. As of Wednesday morning, there were nearly 3,500 members.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:48:18 AM by SAP »

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Lyle and Marie Mccann: St. Albert
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »
This is a tragedy and I do not believe it will have a good ending for the McCann's. If my memory serves me correctly, there was an older couple not long ago in the west that got lost and they died together as a result of natural causes. It surely is not a good idea for persons of this age to be trekking across the country in motor homes and all, because of their age. It is also very dangerous for them to camp in isolated regions with not a lot of people around them. However, I am not losing the sight of the fact that this brings great sadness to all family members in searching for their parents. We certainly will pray for their safe return. If a crime was committed in this trailer, that would be the reason for torching it. I do hope there will be news soon of theh McCann's safe return. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

nander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 11:21:11 PM »
Just a bit of info that has been misunderstood - their motorhome was found by the campground down a deadend road/cutline. The last known sighting of the Mccann's was at a gas station in St Albert - their vehicle was last seen in the Edson area. As a resident of Edson I pray and hope that the Mccann's are found safe and returned to their family soon.

amIam

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »
Cape, I know of which you speak, I had the link to that story but it has disappeared.  That was the case of the elderly couple, they had been celebrating  the elderly mother's birthday at their
home with family.  It was a nice gathering, thier children left and the parents had a plan to go somewhere where they had been many times.  A few days later..or perhaps sooner one of the children checked in an the parents and discovered all plates, etc, even the remaining birthday cake was still on the counter in the parents home.
Their remains were finally found on a logging road, their car had run out of gas.  Both had died of hypothermia in their efforts to walk back to civilization.  LE suspected no foul play..they were elderly and perhaps confused.
I have always wondered if they were so confused, how were they aware of which way to go for help??
And now this case..this is not good, I doubt very much there will be a happy ending here
and  a result of the case you have mentioned; I am wondering if they are connected?

This is a tragedy and I do not believe it will have a good ending for the McCann's. If my memory serves me correctly, there was an older couple not long ago in the west that got lost and they died together as a result of natural causes. It surely is not a good idea for persons of this age to be trekking across the country in motor homes and all, because of their age. It is also very dangerous for them to camp in isolated regions with not a lot of people around them. However, I am not losing the sight of the fact that this brings great sadness to all family members in searching for their parents. We certainly will pray for their safe return. If a crime was committed in this trailer, that would be the reason for torching it. I do hope there will be news soon of theh McCann's safe return. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

SAP

Re: Lyle and Marie McCann: St. Albert
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:34:34 PM »
They left St. Albert on the third of July. I don't think it took long to get to Edson depending if they stopped prior at a campsite, and possibly they were around Edson for a day, could have even picked up a hitchhiker or two.

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100715/missing-alberta-couple-100715/20100715/?hub=WinnipegHome

RCMP accused of botching search for missing couple

In the photo made from video, Lyle McCann is standing at the pump at a Superstore gas bar in St. Albert, Alta., on July 3, 2010.
   View larger image (at link above)

Lyle and Marie McCann are seen in this composite image made from undated family handout photos.

View larger image

Lyle and Marie McCann's Hyundai Tucson is pictured in this undated family handout photo.

The burned motorhome of Lyle and Marie McCann is seen in the woods near Edson, Alta. in this photo that was released by the RCMP on Wednesday, July 14, 2010. (Photo courtesy: RCMP)

Updated: Thu Jul. 15 2010 16:49:30

CTV.ca News Staff

The RCMP is facing harsh criticism over what some experts call a botched investigation in the disappearance of an elderly Alberta couple.

The search for Lyle and Marie McCann "has been a banquet of mistakes, of laziness, of unprofessional conduct -- and two lives are in the balance here," Bill Pitt, an Edmonton-based criminologist and former Mountie, told The Canadian Press.

"I think just about every protocol I'm aware of as far as investigation is concerned has been missed, sloughed off or tried to be explained in some ridiculous fashion.

"It's a blown investigation from beginning to end. Completely blown."

Mounties are pursuing some 80 leads in connection with the case.

The couple, who are in their late 70s, left on vacation in their motorhome from their house in St. Albert on July 3. They haven't been seen since and their vehicle, which was being towed behind their motorhome, has disappeared.

A surveillance video released Thursday by the RCMP shows them filling the motorhome with gas that morning.

Two days later, the motorhome was found burning in a wooded area south of Edson, Alta.

Police have come under fire for compromising one of the most promising leads so far.

Mounties in Prince George, B.C., confirmed Wednesday that a local couple came to the detachment, claiming to have seen the couple's light green Hyundai Tucson SUV driving around the area.

But the pair was allowed to leave before police could ask more questions. Now, they can't be found.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 05:39:53 PM by SAP »

SAP

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »
More tips coming in to Police at Prince George of spotting the vehicle that looks like McCanns. Another article claims that finances are in order, so then no one is using their cards or account, not even themselves?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/07/15/edmonton-missing-couple-rcmp.html

Two people who told police they saw an SUV belonging to a missing Alberta couple in Prince George, B.C., say staff at the local RCMP detachment weren't interested in the information when they reported it on Tuesday.

"They said well, that was last Thursday and we came in on Tuesday and they said it was irrelevant because it was four days ago, five days ago," Diana Bjorklund told CBC Radio in Prince George.

Bjorklund went to the detachment with her father, Everitt, after they saw a vehicle matching the description of the Hyundai Tucson, belonging to Lyle and Marie McCann, who haven't been seen since they bought gas in their hometown of St. Albert, Alta., on July 3.

Bjorklund said they were able to write the licence plate number down. She said she was insulted at how she was treated at the detachment and almost didn't go back.

"They never asked our names, our phone numbers or nothing," she said.

On Wednesday, RCMP spokesman Gary Godwin said police were looking for two people who showed up at the detachment and provided good information.

"This couple sounds very credible and the fact that they saw it and they had the plate number leads us to believe that they actually saw the vehicle," he said.

More witnesses come forward
Mounties in Prince George, B.C., say more witnesses have now reported credible sightings of a vehicle belonging to the missing Alberta couple in the central Interior community.

A man resembling Lyle McCann is shown on surveillance video taken at a Superstore Gas Bar in St. Albert, Alta., on July 3. (RCMP)The information puts the SUV in the city on Monday and Tuesday, RCMP said.

McCann, 78, and his wife, 77, left St. Albert on July 3 headed for British Columbia.

The two were in a 1999 green and white Gulf Stream Sun Voyager recreational vehicle and towing the Hyundai. They were supposed to be in Abbotsford, B.C., to meet their daughter at the airport on July 10 but never arrived.

On Thursday, Alberta RCMP released security video taken at a Superstore Gas Bar on July 3. In the video, a man resembling Lyle McCann is seen putting gas into the green and white motorhome.

McCann leaves the frame, presumably to pay for his gas. The motorhome towing the Tucson is then seen driving away.

Burned motorhome found
A multijurisdictional search has been underway for the vehicle since police found the couple's burned motorhome at a campground near Edson, Alta.

RCMP confirmed Monday that the McCanns' RV was found on fire at the Minnow Lake campground near Edson on July 5. Their SUV, bearing Alberta licence plate ZPK 289, has not been found.

Police said the motorhome and the Hyundai were in that campground just hours before the fire was reported. Sgt. Patrick Webb said they don't know who drove the vehicles there.

The McCanns' Hyundai Tucson SUV, bearing Alberta licence plate ZPK 289, has not been found. (RCMP)"The manager apparently tried to get ahold of people that may have been in it, but there was no answer to the door, and after a couple of attempts then, the vehicles left after that," he said.

Since July 10, the RCMP have performed an air search of 259 square kilometres, interviewed witnesses and searched the couple's cellphone records and bank accounts.

Police in two provinces are now tracking down leads and acting on tips as they try to find the McCanns.

Meanwhile, family members are trying to stay positive as they wait to find out where the couple is.

"We're keeping busy, and we're only trying to think optimistically," said their son, Bret McCann.

The McCann family has set up a Facebook group, hoping to get information from the public. The page has more than 12,000 members.

The family has also set up its own website in hopes of generating more tips.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/07/15/edmonton-missing-couple-rcmp.html#ixzz0tnbXGG8t

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:09:27 PM »
I cannot understand why the RCMP would not be all over the tip they heard about the car being in the area of Prince George. Sap, I am glad you have posted that the trailer was in an area that was not a camp ground as such. It is absolutely correct, someone could have gotten in the trailer when they stopped for gas. But does the son think they would have picked up a hitch hiker??? The realization today is that nobody can be trusted. As I am writing this the CTV news just came on mentioning the case. The RCMP have stated that there have been three reports of the SUV being spotted in Prince George. I hope that every person in that area is vigilant on looking for this vehicle and even take pictures if they can of who is behind the wheel. The police have stated that there is foul play already, because of the burned out camper. I fear for the safety and well being of the McCann's. The police now should look at their files of persons of interest who live in Prince George who could be capable of such a crime. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
Sap, I did check out the facebook site and I did post on it. I do feel you are correct, this person or persons is on the move. They have committed a very serious crime. So the McCann's were possibly already gone before the camper was seen being taken to the area it was, shortly before it was torched. So whatever happened was between the gas station and the area in Edson where the burned out motor home was. I am just wondering what distance that is from the garage where they were last seen? If they could get tips of anyone that did see the trailer turning onto another road or coming off another road before Edson. The perp had to have gone off the main road to commit a crime and then got back on and went to the area he torched the motorhome in Edson. I hope the RCMP can get on this and get a line on anyone that saw anything suspicious of this motor home coming out of another area. I believe they should definitely be posting lots of pictures of the trailer as it was previously. This is a very sad situation for the family of the McCann's. This person had to have left them in another area and that is what is so disturbing. 

SAP

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »
The son also said, his father having been a long haul driver, would not have stopped as soon as  Edson to overnight.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100715/edm_missing_100715/20100715/?hub=EdmontonHome

Updated: Thu Jul. 15 2010 18:02:32

ctvedmonton.ca

The RCMP now suspect foul play in the disappearance of a missing couple from St. Albert.

<snipped>

Bret McCann says a calendar inside the couple's home outlined where they wanted to stop along their trip.

"They had noted on the Monday and Tuesday they had planned to be in Kelowna."

RCMP say an Edson RCMP officer came across the burning RV and was able to pull information from the registration card. The officer attempted to to call the registered owner of the RV, but that was unsuccessful.

At that point, the file was then passed along to the St. Albert police detachment. Police would not say if the St. Albert detachment followed up on the case.

Officers do not currently have any suspects in the burning of the RV. The family is certain the couple would have never come to the campground where their motorhome was found.

The road leading to the campsite is pitted with deep pot holes.

So far, the RCMP has received more than 80 tips from the public and say they are in the process of following up on the information they have received. A Facebook group started by the couple's children now boasts more than 14,000 members.

Investigators are asking people to keep an eye out for the couple or their missing SUV. The licence plate of the green Hyundai Tucson is ZPK 289.

The family is asking everyone to print off a poster created for the missing couple. The poster can be found on the family's Facebook page.

Anyone with information on the missing couple or their SUV is asked to contact Const. Jon Cruz at 250-561-3300 or the Serious Crimes Unit directly at 250-561-3365.

nander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 10:03:37 PM »
On the Facebook group's discussion board last night a young boy had posted that he had seen the SUV in a junkyard in Prince George. After being encouraged to call RCMP the boy's mom posted that they had contacted police. This morning the post was gone from the discussion board and ironically enough, in the news this morning there had been sightings of the SUV. I cannot help but think there might have been something more to the young boy's claim. He stated that it looked like the SUV had been possibly rolled, had water damage, rocks and gravel in it with camping gear.

The question that keeps plaguing me is where were the Mccann's between July 3 (last seen at the gas station in St Albert) and July 5 (motorhome and SUV seen in the Minnow Lake campground earlier in the day and reported on fire around 7 pm that evening outside of the campground down the dead end road/cutline) I live in Edson and have made numerous trips in and out of the city in a day's time and can't for the life of me think where they may have been in this time.

I realize that this question is being asked by everyone so I'm just stating what is bothering me about this disappearance.

nander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:45:28 AM »
I don't think that sounds morbid - unfortunately we live in a world that is made up of all kinds - including those who get off on hurting or killing others just to make themselves feel more powerful. I have not been down to Minnow Lake so I cannot tell you what it is like or how deep the lake may be. I do know however that the campsite is quite a distance down a very well used and very rough road. I find it unusual that a couple on holidays would travel down to the campsite just to have a lunch or rest. I honestly feel that something started going wrong for them before they left St Albert. It has crossed my mind that whoever is responsible for their disappearance is possibly from the Edson area - or at least someone who frequented the area.

I hope that the Mccann's are found - whether they be alive or dead - so the family may have closure. I hope with all my heart that there is a possibility they are found alive.

Thank you for the welcome - I have been a fly on the wall since March reading about various cases on the site and find it interesting how everyone looks at things differently.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »
There is a long period of time there between the time the McCann's were missing and reported officially missing. It could be that someone had just faked having a broken down car and was awaiting someone just like the McCann's, elderly and easy to overtake. They needed money and that would be the motive. If there were any vehicles broken down on that stretch of highway that were towed later on and noticed, that would be something they could also look into. It sounds like it could be more then one individual that did this. This is very scary and to think that the McCann's were at the hands of someone for maybe a couple of days. They will be ditching the car more then likely, because they know everyone in B.C. has an eye out for this vehicle. I certainly would not think about taking a camping trip until this person is caught. My thoughts are with the McCann's and hope for their safe return, but it sure does not look good. It is very sad to think the McCann's had to disappear and nobody know what has happened to them or where they are.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
SAP, I did not realize that this is the "The Highway of Tears" that the McCann's went missing on. This throws a different light on this and this crime.  Nobody should be taking any chances until they find out what has happened to this couple. I am not a very brave camper myself. Certainly being summer and all the families with their young ones want to go fishing and camping and lighting camp fires, I do hope they go to areas that are very well populated and that nobody ventures off alone. A great deal of attention should be focused on this case all across the west. They just have to get the person responsible for this. The police have to work 24-7 on this case with every investigator they can get to work on the case. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

SAP, I am modifying my post, yes, what you said there could be very true. Someone could have been following the McCann's from St. Albert. They could have waited for an opportune time to approach the couple. Also, the police should do a check of everyone who lived on the street that the McCann's lived on. Were there any persons living there that could be capable of following the McCann's, someone who knew they were going away for three weeks. They could have approached them because they knew them and had intentions of harming them. This had crossed my mind earlier also, but I did not post it. A relative of someone who lived close by, a young man who may be on drugs and needed money. This could have been pre planned by someone to harm this couple. Just another thought, as Sap has said also. Everyone who lived on their street, neighbours who knew them, every one of them should be asked if they know anything that could help this investigation. :( :( :( :( :( :(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:18:21 PM by capeheart »

amIam

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 03:18:59 PM »
SAP, you and Cape have some excellent observations and opinions regarding the missing
McCann's.  But what better target than an elderly couple travelling in a motor home with an SUV on the hitch..looks like lots of money, right? 
What a sad state of affairs that LE dropped this one..yet again.
Such a sweet couple, despite thier age they were so active and what better way to travel than in the comfort of a motor home.
Had someone been scoping their home prior to their departure?  Given the age of the
McCann's I doubt they would even have noticed as they are from the old school, those that
trust. 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:38 PM »
Our CTV news locally has just reported that the Police are seeking an individual in the disappearance of Lyle and Marie McCann. The last name of the person, I believe is (mispelled previously as Leder) Vader, not sure of the spelling. He is considered armed and dangerous. I would have gotten the first name, but was shocked that they do have a POI in this case. Maybe someone from the west coast will have his full name and spelling.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) I am going in to modify the name here, because I thought they said Leder and they said Vader, thank you for that Chet.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:00:06 PM by capeheart »