Author Topic: Tina Marie Schweitzer/Yule - 38 - April 16, 2008 - Kitchener - Suspicious death  (Read 6781 times)

wantedwanted

• View Profile
http://www.wrps.on.ca/news-centre/police-identify-body-discovered-in-nith-river-wilmot-township.htm
----

I can find little about this woman's death, but there are a few articles from when she was still alive in the star archives. The newspaper articles are pay-per-view but the abstract of this one from October 1994 fills in the blanks:

'Heartbreaking situation': Drug-addicted prostitute jailed again for plying trade

Tina Yule, 25, who was released from the Vanier Institute for women on Sept. 23 after doing 10 months of a 12-month sentence for passing forged cheques and breaching probation, was arrested six days later after propositioning an undercover officer in the downtown Kitchener area.

Defence lawyer Brad Dempster suggested to Downie that Yule wouldn't mind an order banning her totally from Kitchener which she blamed as the cause of her problems.

"No amount of jail time will be sufficient to help her unless she wants to help herself," Dempster said. Yule told him she received three months of individual and group counselling for her drug dependency while at Vanier.

---

Another PPV article from Nov,1994 is titled, "Drugs, abuse, bad choices lead woman to hell on streets."

It's difficult to see how long this woman must have struggled before meeting such a miserable fate. The following is text from a Waterloo Chronicle article dated April 23, 2008, which provides a bit more information about where and how Tina was found.

'Detectives yet to determine how body ended up in river'

It didn't take long for Waterloo Regional Police to identitify the woman whose body was found floating in the Nith River north of New Hamburg last Wednesday.

Less than 24 hours after two canoeists made the gruesome discovery, police identified the victim as Tina Marie Yule also known as Tina Marie Schweitzer, 38, of Kitchener.

Police said the victim was known to frequent downtown Kitchener and the surrounding area.

Executive officer Bryan Larkin said no missing person report was filed for Yule who was last seen by friends and relatives about a week before her body was discovered.

A post-mortem examination took place Thursday morning and an investigative team led by the homicide branch continues to work in partnership with the coroner's office to determine the cause of death.

Larkin said all information relating to the condition of the body and cause of death will be withheld as the investigation continues.

"There's a lot of unanswered questions," said Larkin, adding police are focusing on the investigation while appealing to the public for answers.

Police and firefighters were called to a property on Wilby Road during the noon hour Wednesday after two canoeists discovered what they described to a neighbour as the naked body of a 40 to 50-year-old woman face down in the Nith River. The canoeists told a neighbour they were stopping along the river bank for lunch when they saw the body.

Police later confirmed the discovery after an initial search and preliminary investigation. Detectives and forensic identification officers along with the coroner's office were called to the scene to complete a grid search, which Larkin said was inconclusive.

On Monday Larkin said detectives were still hard at work on the case. Police have not yet confirmed the case as homicide but are still calling the cause of death suspicious.

A year ago police discovered a woman's body in the Grand River -- Denise Bourdeau.

Larkin said at this time police are not linking Yule's death to the unsolved murder of Bourdeau, who was last seen in December 2006.

Police don't anticipate post-mortem results this week and are still appealing to the public for help in the case.

Investigators are appealing to anyone who may have information in relation to this investigation to contact police at (519) 653-7700 extension 8669 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Link to article: http://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news/article/125388
---

This is very frustrating to me. I live nearby in the Cambridge area and never heard anything about this woman's death. If a woman is found naked and deceased in a river, is it not reasonable to expect that there would be greater media attention, and a heavier police focus on such a horrific incident? I find it unlikely that Tina Yule placed herself where she was found. But not even a month after her death, her name vanishes from newspapers. What type of message is this sending to predators who target such vulnerable people as Yule? This enrages me. Did the police classify her death as 'suspicious' and then simply move on? Given the circumstances, what the hell do they think happened? Why haven't K-W area residents heard any more about this? Are there suspects? Was her death ever upgraded from 'suspicious' to a homicide? Has this case been solved? Where is the media attention? Where is the outrage that something like this could happen, and then apparently be swept under the table in as little as a few weeks time?

If anybody has more information on this it would be greatly appreciated. I do wonder if her death could be related to Bordeau's, but with such little information available I feel like it would be pointless to speculate on that. There is a picture of Yule available in the Waterloo Chronicle article above.

----
Just an edit to include some extra details about the circumstances of Yule's death that I've found in various news articles. One mentions that Yule had muscular dystrophy, and required a wheelchair to get around. To my knowledge Tina's wheelchair was never found. Also, there was bruising around her neck, indicating that she may have been strangled before ending up in the river. Lastly, I noticed that numerous police officers indicated that they personally knew Yule, and were particularly impacted by her death. One article at least made it clear that the police were committed to finding out who did this. It's reassuring at least to know that even if the media didn't catch on, the police took her death very seriously.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:51:47 PM by wantedwanted »

wantedwanted

• View Profile
Dawn Marie, I'm sorry to hear your niece has been going through such a rough time. If you think there may be some connection between her and Yule, there is a photo of Yule in this article: http://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news/article/125388
It sounds like your niece is much younger, from what I read about Yule she was an adult with a grown up soon so it doesn't seem likely this is your niece. I wish I could help more. Best of luck in your search.

PandaBearKitty

photo from her obituary

2soccermom

thank you, PandaBearKitty for posting the photo of Tina Marie, and wantedwanted for starting this thread! It's devastating to have so little attention to this woman's death --
I offer my condolences to her family and friends and hope she rests in peace.

2soccermom

I am grateful to posters for keeping Tina Yule in our collective memory and, hopefully, her case on our radar! Hoping for answers around her death soon. She deserves to rest in peace.