Author Topic: Spencer Middleton - Age 14 - murdered | Stonewall, Mb (1980)  (Read 28072 times)

Willythickfoot

• View Profile
Re: Spencer Middleton - Age 14 - murdered | Stonewall, Mb (1980)
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 08:44:28 PM »
I dont recall Sangster having anything to do with it. As far as I know Randy Gushulak is the man to thank.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:49:41 PM by Willythickfoot »

meganray

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 01:34:05 PM »
I am really really sorry for your loss. We recenty lost a friend to murder... and I can't imagin even after 30 years not missing him every day.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:37:09 PM by meganray »

richardd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
Hi dave like you i knew spence we were in cadets together and when they reported that they found the guy who did this well that was a good day. the pit that they said they found him was at argyle, I too was at the arena that night we had gone out side for a smoke a van came up he went to talk to who was in it and that was the last time i saw him i went back inside the arena, its been so long ago yet it stays in your mind. I kept hoping that he would be found alive , i never had anyone to talk to this is the first time i found this site, They say that this rocked stonewall would be an under statement, the amount of people at his funeral you could barely find a seat , He was a great friend and will be missed by many, me as one , Its hard to believe its been so long ago since he was taken I hope the whomever did this will suffer.I hope others that lived there and knew spence can find this site and send him your prayers. He was a great guy to young to be taken like that.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 12:00:43 PM »

Hi richardd, welcome to the site. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. It was obviously a traumatic event in your life, that has had a lasting effect. It's nice to see that people have not forgotten Spencer.

rainstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 08:56:33 PM »
I am sorry about your friend. 30 years is along time. I been to stonewall. It was a really nice town. Hope you keep posting.

rebelgirl

• Reaching Everyone By Exposing Lies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
was it James G. Skinner?...i found something...I'll post it when I figure out how.

rebelgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
Ok, so I couldn't Copy the article so I typed it out by hand.

Stonewall Argus and Teulon Times

Skinner claims stories all made up
                 BY KELLY LANGEVIN

The trial of James G. Skinner continued last week as the jury heard taped conversations of the accused confess
to an undercoverpolice officer about the murder ofSpencer Middleton, then later state it was all
made up to gain the confidence of a friend.
In an elaborate RCMP sting operation,undercover officer Const. Jean Gagnon befriended Skinner, 43, while in
in prison in Vancouver and later on while Skinner was on parole.
Tapped conversations between Gagnon and Skinner recorded Skinner describing how he lured Middleton into a Chevy
Vegas outside of the Stonewall Arena, Dec.6 1979, then drove out of town and strangled him.
Gagnon, however, said later on Skinnerdescribed the murder differently, stating Skinner said the 14-year-old boy
must have died of exposure after he wrapped his skates around his neck, tied his hands up, stuffed his sock in his
mouth and let him out of the car outside of town.
Based on the conversations Skinner was charged with murder in May,1991. Last Friday the court heard Skinner's con-
versations with RCMP officers as he discovered his three "friends" were RCMP undercover police.
With the tape recorder visible in front of him, Skinner spoke briefly to RCMP before asking for his lawyer.
"I proved my innocents with a polygraph 12 years ago," said Skinner referring to a lie dector test he underwent with
the RCMP. The results of the test, however, were not presented in the court. "I'll talk to you guys, I've nothing to hide."
Skinner said he made the story up in order to gain Gagnon's confidence to help him get a job.
"You were telling me how you could help me make money," Skinner said to the undercover office who posed as a convict
who killed his brother. "I'm thinking,well, I gotta be a bad guy, I gotta be a bad guy to make some money."
"Because I was promised jobs, I had to say something." Skinner then stopped the conversation asking for his lawyer from
Winnipeg to be present.
Earlier in the trial police and other witnesses testified that Skinner told stories of other criminal acts he did not commit.
Skinner's lawyer Greg Brodsky maintains his client's account of the murder provided no more information than what was already
acailable in the media reports.

NOT AT WORK
Mark Krul later testified that he had worked with James Skinner at Perimeter Aviation cleaning aircrafts.
He said he rememberd being late for work Dec.6, the night of Middleton's disappearance, because he had no means of getting to work.
Krul said he usually received a ride to work with Skinner, who borrowed a car from Davide Brown, with whom he was staying in Wheel
City Trailer court.
Krul testified that Skinner quit the job the evening before because he thought he was going to be fired.
Dale Gefreter, who was 15 years old in 1979, said he saw Middleton and Skinner together at Skinner's ex-girlfriend's house, Doreen
(Doddie) Meilleur.
Gefreiter said many teenagers frequented the house to drink or smoke marijuana. He said he saw Middleton and Skinner talking to
each other at the house in the fall of 1979.
"They seemedd to be getting along," recalled Gefreiter who babsat for Meilleur, as did Middleton.
He said he knew Middleton at the time, but was not a close friend. He said he remembered Middleton as being "cheeky" to older
guys, and played a lot of pinball. "For a guy who didn't work he seemed to spend a lot of money," said Gefreiter who suspected
Middleton was selling drugs.
Defence council Greg Brodsky questioned the accuracy of Gefreiter's testimony.
"Are you sure about very much?" asked Brodsky who referred to Gefreiter pointing to Brodsky's assistant as being James Skinner durring
the preliminary hearing.
"All I can say is Mr. Skinner's appearance has changed a lot in the past 12 years," said Gefreiter.
Crown attorney George Dangerfield said the prosecution's case will be completed early this week. Adecision on the second-degree murder
charge from the four-man, seven-woman jury is expected to be brough down before the end of the week.

if I find any more articles I will post those too
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:28:19 AM by rebelgirl »

rebelgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
Skate quote helps pin Skinner

Lucky charm an omen for solving case
By Kelly Langevin

Minutes after Henrietta (Hetti) Middleton stepped out of the court room, having just
heard the "guilty" verdict that would put her son's killer behind bars, RCMP Corp.
Bob Urbanoski pinned his lucky charm onto the mother's coat lapel.
The "lucky charm" was a gold-plated tie clip with a C.C.M. hockey skate mounted on it.
Urbanoski, the officer who also helped solve the Helen Betty Osborne murder case, wore
the lucky charm throughout the trial. It was passed onto him by Const. Randy Gushulak
whose diligence on the case led to a conviction.
The charm proved to be worth its weight in gold. "It's one of those superstitious type
things I guess," recalls Const. Gushulak. "We wew just yacking arounf the office one
day and I had got it (the pin) from my father-in-law, and Turbo (Urbanoski) mentioned
to me that during some of the previous operations he found it good luck to hand along
to someone else a good luck charm. So I said, 'Well here, have this one,' and as he
said when he was done with it, if things went well, and he had good luck, he'd pass
it along to someone else. So he figured he'd give that one to Hetti."

Helped Conviction

As fate would have it, a pair of skates helped lead to the conviction of James G.
Skinner of manslaughter.
skinner,43, was sentenced to 25 years in prison last Thursday after being convicted
of manslaughter in the death of 14-year-old Spencer Middleton the day before.
The four-man, seven-woman jury deliberated for approximately ten hours on the case
before reaching their decision.
The jury began reviewing the witness testimonies and taped conversations between
Skinner and undercover Const. Larry Gagnon at 3 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
Approximately two hours after the jury was in deliberations, a question was raised by
the jury concerning the skates that were found wrapped around Middleton's neck. The
jury asked if the skates belonged to Spencer's brother Tyler and if they were new skates.
Referring to Hetti Middleton's testimony earlier on in the trial, Judge James Scolllin
replied that they were neew and belong to Tyler.
During the trial the skates were rarely mentioned in the case as the coroner did not
believe they were used to strangle Middleton. Signs of asphyxiation were evident, however,
as Middleton was discovered with a sock stuffed in his mouth, believed to be the cause
of asphyxia.
During the taped conversation between Skinner and undercover Gagnon, Skinner recalled how
Middleton was anxious about losing the skates, which was why Skinner wrapped them around
his neck so he wouldn't lose them, he told Gagnon.
Skinner's lawyer Greg Brodsky, bases his client's defence onthe fact that Skinner was a
compulsive liar,and often bragged about crimes he never committed. Brodsky claimed Skinner
was lying to Gagnon to gain his congifence, so he could get jobs with a fictious criminal
group the undercover officer spoke of.
Skinner's accounts of the murder were taken from media reports and elaborated on to sound
realistic, Brodsky claimed.
But the pair of skates turned out to be a link of truth between Skinner's elaborated
account of the murder and what really happened that fateful night of Dec 6th when Middleton
went missing.
There were no reports in the media about the skates found wrapped around Spencer's neck
being new or belonging to his brother Tyler. Skinner's conversation to Gagnon pointed out
that the skates were special to Spencer, which was why the young boy was anxious about
losing them.
"We found that quite interesting when they asked about it (the skates)," said Gushulak.
"There's no question about it, we can look at (Skinner's comment about the skates) as
being a very important statement."

IRONY

Another ironic aspect of the case was pointed out in Judge Scollin's comments after
convicting Skinner for 25-year sentence. Scollin stated Skinner predicted his own demise.
In taped conversations between Skinner and RCMP officers, the suspected killer said he
would get 25 years if he was convicted of murder.
Last Thursday morning, his prediction came true.

Sadly there is no pictures with any of the articles
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:53:24 AM by rebelgirl »

rainstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »
That was so nice of you to type it out rebel.  :D You are a angel.

rebelgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 06:47:12 PM »
well the only place I found it was on this newspaper site and you had to subscribe to it ... but it showed you the paper REAL tiny like....so I just used the magnifier thingy and then typed it all out...that way no one has to pay to read it  ;D

Willythickfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 01:59:52 AM »
That was so nice of you to type it out rebel.  :D You are a angel.

Very nice of you indeed. Thank you for taking the time to do this. Besides this forum there is very little evidence that Spencer even existed. I would like to thank everyone for the help and kind words.

Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
Hello All

I am Spencer's brother, I want to thank you all for your concern, thoughts and prayers over the years.  33 years later and his memory is still strong with our family.  Tragedy was thrust upon us and the entire community all those years ago and it brightens my heart to hear that his friends still think of him from time to time. To clarify those skates were mine and they were new.  I was supposed to go skating with him that night ( he bugged and bugged me to go ) I refused and my regret of that is carried with me every day of my life.  To make it up to him I let him borrow my skates and insisted that they be returned without a scratch ( even in death my brother he held to his word ).  Skinner is now out of jail and my parents are aware of where he is and what he is doing.  I wish people would have came forward with information that came out in the trial earlier but as we all know things happen and people get scared.  The RCMP, especially the lead investigator was amazing and I wish I could inform you of the inside help we recieved at that time but can't.  I am here today because of their help.  I was in court every day and watched the result of the conviction.
   I still have a huge empty spot in my heart where Spencer should be but sadly only memories reside there.  I will check this site on occasion and wish all that the missing souls all be found and brought home.

Thanks  T

SAP

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
Hi Brother and welcome. Very sad situation about Spencer. Skinner was to be incarcerated for 25 years ... to 2017, so he got out early. I don't agree with the system but it's what we have. Always more consideration for the perp it seems.
I'm sure your brother loved you very much and would not want you to feel guilty for not walking with him. Certainly happy you had some very helpful police detectives on your side. Take care, and try to keep in your heart all the good memories of Spencer and try to push the pain away. :)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 02:59:23 PM »

Welcome Brother,

Thanks for sharing a little about Spencer. Having a family member show up here is as good as it gets, in my opinion. I'm also disappointed to read that Skinner is no longer incarcerated. It sounds like those involved in the investigation did a great job and they should be commended for that.

I just can't help but think that if Spencer were able, he would tell you there is no need to feel guilty. He would want you to be happy and live your life to the fullest. When we lose someone we love it leaves us with an empty spot in our heart. Thankfully we have our memories and will carry them with us through our lives. They can see us through our darkest times, truly a gift.

HarberM1971

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »
I was only 9 years old at the time but my brother was friends with Spencer and Dave. I remember the day he went missing. There was always alot of speculation as to who was responsible and Skinner's name always came up around town. There was one other person that was always under suspicion by the police and the people in the town but he seemed to remain just outside of the RCMP's reach. I don't even know if he's still alive but his nickname was "Crow," I won't give his real name but he was a real low life.  Jim Skinner was a family friend of ours and the guy always gave me the creeps, he was given the nickname of "Skip" in prison previously. He had stayed with David Brown's mother in the trailer court in Stonewall and we even had him over for supper numerous times. I remember going to see the movie "Bloodsport" with him and a friend of mine in 1988 at the theatre in Stonewall. When I think back to that I always get chills. It was only 8 years after he killed Spencer. Skinner even worked with my dad and I in Stonewall briefly, painting houses. So needless to say when I found out in '92 that he had been convicted, I wasn't at all surprised.