Author Topic: Camille Cleroux | 56 | Ottawa | Ottawa's First Serial Killer  (Read 16623 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
This is the most bizarre story I've heard in a long time. I'm sure it will not be the last we hear more.

They are claiming that Camille Cleroux could just be Ottawa's first serial killer with a crime span spanning possibly over a 20 year period. He has recently been charged with three murders, even though two of the bodies have not been found.   He differs from the 'classic' serial killer, in that 'classic' serial killers usually target strangers, someone that they don't have ties with. He targeted those he was connected with and had blatant lies.  "He killed people he knew--that's very, very rare," said Jack Levin an expert on psychology behind multiple murder.

"A classic serial killer does not kill intimates," said Canadian anthropologist Elliott Leyton, author of Hunting Humans: The Rise of The Multiple Modern Murderer. "They prey on strangers, they don't go around killing in a relentless extirpation of people they had a relationship with."

In the short amount of time he has been captured, recently for Paula Leclair's, 64, death, now for Lisa Roy, 27 (disappeared 1990), and Jean Rock, 32 (last seen in 2003).  The story is just unfolding but it is quite a story.

First, Paula Leclair, 64, a grandmother. Cleroux moved into her highrise apartment (in the Filla Vista Highrise near Walkley and Heron Roads. Note Cleroux lived in the same building one story below) saying to those that noticed her missing that she had recently won $50,000 lottery and was taking a vacation in Florida, then moving to Gatineau where her son lives. There was not lottery wins and her son reported her missing. Her belongings were thrown into the dumpsters in the back of the highrise after Cleroux moved in. Other items given away. Her cat was left to roam the hallways. He convinced a tenant to draft a letter to the property management company of Leclair's building to say he had her consent to move in. He had her keys. Leclair's son came to her house to look for her but was greeted by Cleroux. After police questioned him Cleroux disappeared. Her body was found in the old Walkley train yards, barely a kilometre from the highrise. Police know the cause of death. He confessed once caught and directed officers to her body. "He's clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer if he thought people were going to believe that," said Ron MacKay, a retired criminal profiler with the RCMP. "Organized serial killers are generally more meticulous than that."

Jean Rock, 32, Ottawa, last seen in 2003: For years, and since 2007,  a woman who lived in the same building as Cleroux said she was paid $10 a letter to write to letters from in Cleroux's common-law wife, Jean Rock, 32 (last seen in 2003)name to Jean Rock's father. They contained made up stories about Jean's life as if she was informing her father of her activities (while she was actually missing) like the birth of their daughter, their son, suffered a miscarriage, was in the hospital, moved to this place, then to that place, and the last letter written in November 2009, claimed Rock was moving back to Ottawa in June, That letter was written November 2009. (Get this he would drop of the letters to the house  :o ) The letter writer didn't realize Jean Rock was missing. Apparently, neither did her family until Cleroux was arrested.  "I didn't realize that she wasn't alive," said the woman. "Oh, I was shocked. I've been having such a hard time with it." She thought she was writing letters as a favour to Cleroux who said he didn't know how to write.  He told her his wife didn't want nothing to do with her family, but thought they deserved to know what she was up to. And, he told her he kicked her out when he found her in bed with another man. It is reported that Rock had filed a peace bond (police not releasing against whom) in 2001 and disappeared two years later.

Lisa Roy, 27, Ottawa, last seen in 1990: Has no known relatives other than her two children. Never reported missing. A neighbor Theresa Lafontaine who knew Cleroux since he was young and grew up in Nevan, said Cleroux told her in 2007 that Roy committed suicide and that Rock had left him after she became pregnant with another man's child. Her son Gilbert believes that Cleroux may have buried all of the bodies where Leclair's body was found. "If you look in the back (of the highrise) from the balcony, you're looking at the field where she was buried," Gilbert said. "They were likely all buried back there. We figured that was his playground there."

On June 24, 2010, Cleroux was charged with two counts of first-degree murder for Rock, 32 when missing, and his former wife, Lise Roy, 27 when last seen in 1990. "Roy's and Rock's bodies have not been found, but police say they have enough information to lead them to believe the women are dead." Both women were never reported missing by their relatives because they assumed the women had moved and didn't want contact. Cleroux had four children with the two women. One boy and one girl, each.

"He creeps me out."  Laurel Stewart who lived on the eighth floor of the highrise Cleroux lived in recalls that he would knock on her door thre or four times a day and tried to get in. "I'm thinking it could have been me if my son and my dog weren't here," she said. "I told him, I'm not interested in you, you're not my type.' He creeps me out" He reportedly tried to woo her with newspapers, flowers, and wine. He moved on to other single women in the building. Investigators are looking for other possible cases. He had other common-law spouses prior to Lise Roy. Neighbors also report he would hunt often in the wooded trail where LeClair was found. They once found an animal carcass that had been skinned and decapitated. One witness said Cleroux was 'strange' and spent his free time in a wooded trail along nearby power lines.

A substantial part of Cleroux's life was spent in an apartment building on Fairlea Crescent primarily with Rock, however Roy lived in the same area. He has six known children, total. He is estranged by all his relatives except his sister. His parents haven'te talked to Cleroux since 1982. Neighbors report that he was a loner who hunted off the wooded trail near the old Walkley train yards.

Attorney:  Kimberley Pegg, Ottawa defence attorney and her associate Dominique Smith.

Detectives on the case:  Det. John Monette is the lead investigator. Staff Sgt. Randy Wisker is the case manager. 8 officers are now working on the case as it is unraveling. Anyone with tips urged to call: 613-236-1222 ext. 5493, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).

Next court appearance:  July 5, 2010. Trial likely to take two years. He is being housed at the Ottawa Carleton Detention Centre.

Stories:

By Meghan Hurley , The Ottawa Citizen June 3, 2010
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Poor+Paula+didn+deserve+this/3099903/story.html

Suspect allegedly confessed to killing
Estranged family in shock as man appears in court

By Gary Dimmock and Meghan Hurley, The Ottawa Citizen June 4, 2010
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Suspect+allegedly+confessed+killing/3109290/story.html

Charges laid against suspected serial killer
Camille Cleroux accused in deaths of 2 more women
By Kristy Nease and Meghan Hurley, The Ottawa Citizen June 25, 2010
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Charges+laid+against+suspected+serial+killer/3195275/story.html

Accused doesn't fit mold of 'classic' serial killer
Strangers are usually targeted, not people, know to suspect:experts

By Ellen Mauro, The Ottawa Citizen June 25, 2010
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Accused+doesn+mold+classic+serial+killer/3198117/story.html

Fake letters from a missing woman
Neighbour says man accused in serial killings paid her to pose as wife

By Meghan Hurley and Kristy Nease, The Ottawa Citizen July 1, 2010
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Fake+letters+from+missing+woman/3222902/story.html

amIam

Re: Camille Cleroux | 56 | Ottawa | Ottawa's First Serial Killer
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:21:58 PM »
Is this the same guy who took over the woman's apartment awhile back?  If so, I read recently he was under suspicion  regarding further crimes.  I thought we had already had a thread ( or something) about this creep..guess not!

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:51:54 AM »
Exclusive interview with accused killer Camille Cleroux
In Tuesday's Citizen and online Tuesday morning at www.ottawacitizen.com
The Ottawa Citizen July 6, 2010

The Citizen's Meghan Hurley sat down with accused serial killer Camille Cleroux, who described the moments leading up to the death of 64-year-old Paula Leclair..."I just lost it," Cleroux said in a 20-minute jailhouse interview. "I burned a fuse, that's all."...

...Cleroux admitted Monday that he knows where Roy is, a woman police believe to be dead.

He said he won't give up her location, and added he won't tell police until he talks to his lawyer.

As for Rock, he claims to have no knowledge of her location...

...His eyes teared up as he spoke of the first-degree murder charges and the possibility of life in prison.

"It hurts because I know when I get out, I will be 99 years old," he said. "But I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend the rest of my life in jail."...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Exclusive+interview+with+accused+killer+Camille+Cleroux/3238782/story.html

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 06:21:23 AM »
He appeared in court January, I thought, and haven't heard a thing since. Shouldn't this be in trial?  Possibly in the fall. Little info on it in the past year.

The victim: Paula Leclair, 64

The scene: 2969 Fairlea Cres., near Walkley/Heron

Cleroux had moved into her Fairlea Cres. apartment and given away or thrown out most of her things. Leclair's body was later found in the wooded Walkley Yards area. Camille Cleroux, 56, was arrested June 2 after Leclair was reported missing by her son. Cleroux was charged with first-degree murder and on June 24 he was charged with two more counts in the disappearance of Lise Roy, who disappeared in 1990 aged 27, and Jean Rock, who went missing in 2003 at the age of 32.

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/ottawa/2011/01/02/16734896.html

About Ottawa's struggle to keep up with cold cases and homicides:
There is no designated cold case unit in Ottawa. Instead, all the unsolved cases - including homicides and some missing persons files - are spread among the force's 17 major crime investigators.

It takes patience to work the cases, the investigator said. Sometimes the most minute, trivial detail can help.

It took 20 years before police linked the 1990 disappearance of Lise Roy, 27, to alleged serial killer Camille Cleroux, who will go to trial in the fall on three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Roy, Jean Rock, 32, and Paula Leclair, 62....

...What does it take? Dedication, the investigator said

"Because in many cases the (original) investigators are retired it takes some time for (new) investigators as they pick these files up to dig into them and become familiar with them," he said.

"I don't think it's something that they dread, I think they look at it more as a challenge."

But nothing is more challenging than the delicate relationships that develop with the families of victims - families waiting for answers.

"We have some families that contact us on a regular basis, it runs the whole gambit. It goes with the age of the case to a degree," the investigator said. "Dealing with the families is probably one of the tougher parts of the job because we're always looking to bring closure."

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2011/01/28/17077866.html

Interesting story about Ottawa's 2010 homicides. There were ten in 2010, and "half of the victims knew their alleged assailants, who ranged from estranged boyfriends to irate tenants. One was a home invasion and one remains ongoing, with no arrests having been made."
http://www.calgarysun.com/news/ottawa/2011/01/02/16734896.html

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:32:41 AM by Concerned »

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
Updated: Tue Nov. 01 2011 12:23:11 PM

ctvottawa.ca

Accused serial killer Camille Cleroux once lived at the house where human remains were found Monday, according to neighbours.

Police say a construction crew made the discovery while working in the backyard of a home at 1535 Heatherington Rd. south-east of downtown Ottawa.

A coroner told police the remains are likely several years old.

A police probe in June 2010 led to Cleroux's arrest.

Cleroux, 57, currently faces first-degree murder charges in relation to the disappearance of his neighbour. It is also believed he may be connected to the disappearance of two of his past wives.

Lise Roy, 27 vanished in 1990 and Jean Rock, 32, disappeared in 2003.

Neither woman was reported missing, as family members told police they believed the women had moved away and cut off all contact voluntarily.

Last year's probe started after Cleroux took over the apartment unit of a woman who lived in his building.

At the time, neighbours said Cleroux told them 64-year-old Paula Leclair won the lottery, moved out and allowed him to move in.

Police say Leclair never won the lottery.

The accused killer's prelimary hearing began Tuesday morning.

With a report from CTV Ottawa's Catherine Lathem

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 04:29:46 PM »
Perhaps there can be tag on someone's record that every time their wife goes missing without a trace it can flag authorities by the time the second wife disappears or the third or the fourth...etc.... Or, should we continue to not be phased by such things. And, let it just happen....over and over and over...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Bones+found+accused+serial+killer+Camille+Cleroux+garden+belonged+former+wife/5892842/story.html

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:05:46 AM »
Searching for the remains of at least two more? Or, the two previous wives?

Police leave south Ottawa Cleroux dig 0

BY DANIELLE BELL    ,OTTAWA SUN
FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, APRIL 21, 2012 04:17 PM EDT | UPDATED: SATURDAY, APRIL 21, 2012 04:21 PM EDT

OTTAWA - Police have left a wooded area in south Ottawa near where officers discovered human remains in connection with the case of accused serial killer Camille Cleroux.

The area was buzzing with police activity all day Friday, as several cruisers went in and out of the fiercely guarded area and a coroner visited the scene. But on Saturday, police had cleared out.

Police are searching for the remains of at least two more people,

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/21/police-leave-south-ottawa-cleroux-dig

I have to applaud the police, for not giving up on finding the remains of this serial killer's wife. After they have the man, and they are clear he is serial, I'm gad the human component of dignity comes in to play. The wives get proper burial someday. And, perhaps his trial gets the cement it requires.

Cops find more human remains in investigation of accused serial killer

QMI AGENCY

FIRST POSTED: FRIDAY, APRIL 20, 2012 10:04 AM EDT | UPDATED: FRIDAY, APRIL 20, 2012 03:46 PM EDT

OTTAWA - Cops confirmed Friday they found more human remains in the search for victims of accused serial killer Camille Cleroux.

The news comes as police continued their search of a forested area in the city's south end.

Police began searching the forested section of Fairlea Woods along Albion Rd. on Thursday. A source told QMI Agency police are searching for at least two more bodies.

Cleroux, 58, is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of two of his wives and a neighbour over the course of two decades.

He lived in the area now being searched for several years and the remains of two of his alleged victims were both recovered in the neighbourhood.

"It is expected that the dig will continue for a few days," police said in a release Friday morning. "The unearthed human remains will be sent to the Centre for Forensic Science and Medicine in Toronto for assessment and forensic identification."

"This process will likely take from a few weeks to months to complete."

A coroner was on scene Friday to assist police.

Bones later identified as those of Cleroux's wife Lise Roy were found in his former backyard last Halloween. Roy, who was 27, disappeared without a trace in 1990, police said.

Her bones were found buried in the backyard of the public-housing unit.

Neighbours said Cleroux planted a tomato garden after her disappearance. The bones were found under the garden and identified using DNA.

Cleroux's common-law wife Jean Rock disappeared in 2001. Her body has never been found.

Neither Roy nor Rock were ever reported missing. Family members believed they'd simply moved away and cut off contact.

However, that situation changed in May 2010, when 64-year-old grandmother Paula Leclair went missing from her apartment. Her son called police, and Leclair's body was later found in a nearby wooded area.

It's alleged Cleroux wanted her apartment because he'd been evicted from his unit in the same building. Witnesses told QMI Agency that Cleroux said Leclair had given him her apartment after winning $50,000 in the lottery and that she was vacationing in Florida before moving in with her son in Gatineau, Que.

They said they spotted Cleroux throwing away some of Leclair's belongings and giving away other items.

Cleroux is reportedly a father of six. One of his siblings described him as a drifter and a loner. He worked as a cook at a downtown diner.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/20/cops-search-fields-for-more-victims-of-alleged-serial-killer
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:10:40 AM by Concerned »

HaveThoughtsWillTravel

• It's a fine line between genius and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
Camille Cleroux killed 2 ex-wives and a former neighbour over 2 decades
CBC News Posted: Jun 26, 2012 7:08 AM ET Last Updated: Jun 26, 2012 11:38 AM ET
  Facebook 

Twitter 

Email 

Related
Related Stories
Serial killer case may be linked to remains in woods
Accused Ottawa serial killer to stand trialCamille Cleroux has been charged in connection with the deaths of three women. (Laurie Foster-MacLeod/CBC)An Ottawa man has pleaded guilty to killing two ex-wives and a former neighbour over two decades.

Camille Cleroux, 58, appeared at a pre-trial hearing Tuesday with the family members of victims crowding the courtroom.

He pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree murder. That carries an automatic sentence of life in prison.

Family members were set to deliver victim impact statements in court as part of the sentencing hearing immediately following the plea.

First arrest after neighbour's death
Cleroux was first arrested and charged in 2010 in the death of Paula Leclair, 64, after her body was discovered in a wooded area near where she lived.

He lived in the same apartment building and had taken over her apartment, prompting her son to report her missing.

After the plea, the Crown attorney also told the court Cleroux killed Paula Leclair because he wanted her apartment.

"When she refused to let him move in, he killed her," James Cavanagh said.

Cleroux was later charged in the deaths of two former wives. His first wife, Lise Roy, disappeared in 1990 and his second wife, Jean Rock, was last seen in 2003.

The court proceedings had been put off last fall after police examined remains found at his former home on Heatherington Road in south Ottawa and later at a second site in a forest off of Albion Road.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
It is disturbing that this guy seemed to think murder was easy....actually since he got away with it twice before, I suppose he thought he was above the law.  Certainly the Cops didn't investigate him near enough after the first murder, and then the second.  Wow...good for them, they got him on his third.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 07:22:03 AM »
"I just lost it. I burned a fuse, that's all."

That's all? Charged of 3 murders over 20 years seems more than a "fuse" going off.

Camille Cleroux pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree murder; receives life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years. Ontario Superior Court Judge Lynn Ratushny denied a defence request for credit for time already served. "With a mind that has functioned in a way that yours has and does, there's no better place for you than in custody," Ratuschny said. "After hearing the stomach-churning details today, and your plan to kill these cherished women just to get them out of your way, we can all take some comfort knowing that you are incarcerated and likely will be for the rest of your life."  Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/06/25/ottawa-camilee-cleroux-murder-trial.html

Interview with Camille Cleroux: 'I just lost it';

He also revealed that he knows the location of his ex-wife, Lise Roy, who city police believe to be dead.

By Meghan Hurley, The Ottawa Citizen June 26, 2012

The Citizen's Meghan Hurley sat down with accused serial killer Camille Cleroux, who described the moments leading up to the death of 64-year-old Paula Leclair. (Originally published July 6, 2010)

- - -

Hours before Camille Cleroux appeared in court Monday, the man accused of being Ottawa's first serial killer appeared emotionless as he recounted what led him to allegedly murder Paula Leclair.

"I just lost it," Cleroux said in a 20-minute jailhouse interview. "I burned a fuse, that's all."

Cleroux, 56, told the Citizen he confessed during a 14-hour police interview to killing Leclair, a 64-year-old grandmother who lived in his apartment building. He said he led detectives to a body police believe to be Leclair's in the old Walkley train yards.

Cleroux is facing three first-degree murder charges related to disappearances spanning 20 years, including Leclair and two of his former spouses.

Cleroux's former wife, Lise Roy, was last seen in 1990 and his common-law spouse, Jean Rock, was last seen in 2003.

Cleroux admitted Monday that he knows where Roy is, a woman police believe to be dead.

He said he won't give up her location, and added he won't tell police until he talks to his lawyer.

As for Rock, he claims to have no knowledge of her location.

The women's bodies have not been found, but police say they have enough information to lead them to believe the women are dead.

"If we have charged him with the three murders, the logical conclusion is he knows where they are," said Staff Sgt. Randy Wisker, case manager for the major crimes file on Cleroux.

On Monday, Cleroux sat behind glass at the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre, with a phone connecting him to the outside world already in his hand as he awaited his visitor.

His eyes teared up as he spoke of the first-degree murder charges and the possibility of life in prison.

"It hurts because I know when I get out, I will be 99 years old," he said. "But I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend the rest of my life in jail."

Cleroux described his relationship with Rock as "rough" and claimed that she was abusive, including a time she struck him repeatedly with a baseball bat.

"She had a pretty bad temper," Cleroux said. "I always had a black eye."

Cleroux said he has five children -- two with a common-law spouse, one with Roy and two with Rock. He said his youngest child is 15 or 16 years old.

Cleroux admitted Monday that he is lonely in jail. The former dishwasher at a ByWard Market diner said he wants his colleagues to visit. He said that restaurant was his home for many years.

It appears the diner staff won't make a trip to visit their former employee.

"No, I'm not interested at all. Not after what he did," said a woman who answered the phone at the diner. "I mourn for those families. He needs to get help."

Even family members have not visited him since his arrest, he said. Cleroux hasn't seen his father since the 1980s and is estranged from most of his family.

Cleroux said he was given a low-fat diet in jail because of his diabetes. He said he has been treated well, and shares a cell with two roommates.

Police began to investigate Cleroux after Leclair's son reported her missing.

He had knocked on her door, only to find a man inside. The man said Leclair had just won a lottery, and dipped into her $50,000 winnings to go to Disney World. He also said she was leaving everything she owned behind and would be renting a new apartment in Hull when she got back from Florida.

When Rock disappeared in 2003, family didn't report her missing because they thought she wanted nothing to do with them.

Then, Rock's family began to receive monthly letters from her.

A woman who lived in Cleroux's building said she was hired to write letters, forging Rock's signature.

The letters said Rock had several sons. One excitedly reported the birth of a daughter, the letter writer told the Citizen in an earlier interview.

To explain Rock's absence, Cleroux told the letter writer he kicked her out when he found her in bed with another man.

Cleroux also told neighbours that his former wife, Lise Roy, committed suicide.

Cleroux was described by neighbours as a loner who was aggressive with women in the building. He used to bring women in the building the newspaper, flowers and wine to win them over.

"It was nice waking up to someone," Cleroux said with a grin.

mhurley@thecitizen.canwest.com

- - -

Possible Victims

Paula Leclair: A 64-year-old grandmother Camille Cleroux befriended while living in the same apartment building.

Jean Rock: Common-law spouse, who was last spotted in 2003.

Lise Roy: Cleroux's former wife, who was last seen in 1990.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Interview+with+Camille+Cleroux+just+lost/6842549/story.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:27:55 AM by Concerned »

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
I keep thinking about that lady who wrote the letters to Jean's family.

Can you imagine the guilt?

I really hope this woman is getting some therapy for all of this.