Author Topic: Project Angel January 1997 to June 2000  (Read 27305 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Project Angel January 1997 to June 2000
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »
Have faith, I am so sorry to hear about your childhood. I'm so very glad you are here with us and sharing. When we hear these stories, we often wonder, what could we have done. What can we do now. What will put this behind us in a much better way. Sometimes those that live it, may have better answers we never thought of.

I hope we can find those answers. So many other children don't have the memories still fresh in your mind, even today.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 02:14:34 AM »
Wow. A lot of tragedy. very sorry about that.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »

gibbons

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 06:20:28 AM »
Wow - thanks for posting this rkay!

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
have faith... I can'y imagine how these murders have effected you. Just discussing them, looking at the pictures of the victims weighs pretty heavy on the heart but knowing the killers are still out there and never punished... unreal.

The only murder I can remember is that of Donna Awcock. The others either happened before I was born or in the case of Russell Johnson, during a time when I was too young to hear about it so adults must have guarded their conversations.

I have met Donna's family and try to help with their fundraising when I can. To actually SEE their pain years later is hard to see at times. Listening to her friends tell stories of how she was etc... you can't help wonder what she would have done in her life. The same really strikes me with Jacqueline English. Reading about the kind of person she is makes her death endlessly more tragic.

Thank you for sharing EVERYONE... who knows where it could lead?

sweetnurse64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »
I am so glad that I came across this forum and these posts.  I was doing a Google search and then found out some intersting things that I had not known before and that led me to here!  I am 46 years old and NEVER even knew until today that there were two murders in my little home town of Merlin in 1970 and 1971.  I would have been 6 or7 at the time so I guess nothing was told to us.  We lived outside of Merlin in the countryside but I do remember a time when we started to lock our doors.  Previously we never ever locked them.  I am thinking now that was probably around the same time as the murders occured.   All I can find on it is one little article that says Gerald Archer was responsible for one (Edith Authier, Labor Day, 1970). You have to pay to read the whole text , I believe it is from the Starr.  So nothing else about him except that he is now deceased.  Thats it.  I shake my head at how much information has been held back from us such as no serial killers here and them only charging them with "one" murder because of the "cost!" .. That is not right at all. It seems like they might be starting to get it together some with that database the RCMP are working on.  What a lack of communication ect... there was.  If a cop retires who is working on a cold case it seems that it never got transferred to anyone else??   I too was NOT impressed by the last line of the first article.  "Well , the killer is not in our city anymore"!  ???  Well..... good for that city!... what about the rest?  I don't think a name was in the article of who said that!
@ wanted Thanks for all the information.   
@Have faith; Sorry to hear about all the murders in London and how young you were when they all happened.  It sure did end your innocence at an age when you are supposed to feel safe, secure and protected in your home with no worries. 
@Jenson; sorry to hear about your brother; that must have been so awful.  I can't imagine.  My brother is 8 years younger than me. 
RKay; that is a Great story!!  So good to hear something like that, gives a feeling of hope.  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 11:53:27 PM by sweetnurse64 »

gibbons

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »
Sweetnurse '64

Did you manage to find a little about the other two women who's murders were attributed to Archer?  There is at least a little more information about him sprinkled throughout this forum.  There are two women in London, and another in Chatham that constitute the list that are attributed to him...but as he was leaving the courtroom after his sentencing his comments suggested that he may have killed others (the three were "just the first strike"...suggesting he had been in the batter's box for a while).   I believe that goNgo has some addiitonal articles on Archer.  In Archer's case, his role in the murders came to the surface when an ex-wife went to the police.  Hopefully, for the myriad of other cases on this unsolved site, something similar will happen - a relative etc. who may have been keeping quiet for decades, will finally come forward with crucial information.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »
Welcome sweetnurse64.  I hope you will jump in and give your thoughts on these cases, as they are always welcome.

Chickapey..thanks for your empathy.  You are right, it is an unspeakable tragedy to realize that two, sweet, kind and lovable girls like Jackie English and Donna Awcock could be killed in this way.  That their cases are unsolved, to me, is like rubbing salt in the wounds.  Their families are true heroes, who keep up the fight for answers and justice. 

Have Faith

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 07:14:33 PM »
Hi goNgo,

I would like to see more info on G. Archer also, if you have any, and the time to add it.  Is there a picture of him anywhere? Btw, I suppose his info should be under the "Serial Killers" thread, or his victims' threads, instead of Project Angel.

Thanks,

HF

sweetnurse64

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 05:19:34 AM »
Sweetnurse '64

Did you manage to find a little about the other two women who's murders were attributed to Archer?  There is at least a little more information about him sprinkled throughout this forum.  There are two women in London, and another in Chatham that constitute the list that are attributed to him...but as he was leaving the courtroom after his sentencing his comments suggested that he may have killed others (the three were "just the first strike"...suggesting he had been in the batter's box for a while).   I believe that goNgo has some addiitonal articles on Archer.  In Archer's case, his role in the murders came to the surface when an ex-wife went to the police.  Hopefully, for the myriad of other cases on this unsolved site, something similar will happen - a relative etc. who may have been keeping quiet for decades, will finally come forward with crucial information.

Hi, Oh thanks! I was wondering if there was any more info on him.  I also read that they thought he might have been responsible for another murder in Merlin in Jan. /71 of a woman named Isobel Russell who was 57.  Those are the only two ever there that I know of and they were two years in a row.  I bet there are more too!  I will check out goNgo for more info ; thanks :)
@HaveFaith;  thanks :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:24:13 AM by sweetnurse64 »

freeman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 07:07:22 AM »
Archer was convicted of Russell's murder in 1971, in the article below they call her Belva instead of Isobel, must be a nick name, note the "only strike one " statement at the end of the article
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=kjM_AAAAIBAJ&sjid=QlEMAAAAIBAJ&dq=belva%20russell&pg=5588%2C1606176

The two other murders he was connected to were Jane Wooley and Edith Authier according to this link

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/access/445642181.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Feb+16%2C+2000&author=&pub=The+Guelph+Mercury&desc=Investigators+making+gains+in+cold+cases&pqatl=google

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 05:48:06 PM »
Thanks for those links, Freeman!

And, now that everyone seems to think that I have some articles about Gerald Archer (thanks gibbons!), I thought it best to look for some!  Any previous information that I had came from this message board.  I'm not sure if some was deleted, since I don't see it now.  So, here is what I understand to be true about Gerald Archer (gleaned from previous posts, Freeman's links and the links I will add below):

Gerald Thomas Archer tended to murder older women who worked in hotels or frequented hotels.  Convicted in 1971 of one murder.  Paroled in 1985. Died in 1985.  (need to confirm dates)  Born  ~1932.  From London.  Had previous criminal record relating to robbery, B&E and possession dating back to 1950.
•   Jan 31/69  -  Jane Woolley (62).   Victim stabbed and beaten.  Last seen in hotel (where she worked) and found in apartment on York St. in London.  Project Angel announced solved.
•   Sep 1970  - Edith Authier (57).  Stabbed and beaten.  Found in her house in Merlin.  Project Angel announced solved.
•   Archer and his wife Mary (who was 19 years older than her husband) moved from Merlin to 203 Adelaide St S. in Chatham in Oct 1970.
•   Jan 23/71  - Belva Russell (57).  Partially nude body found on dining room floor of her Chatham apartment. Victim was a chambermaid at a Chatham hotel.  GTA convicted in June 1971 and sentenced to life; paroled 1985.

Here are the additional news article links for articles from June 16, 1971 in the Windsor Star:

Waiter Tells of Drinking with Accused on Day of Murder
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=kTM_AAAAIBAJ&sjid=QlEMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5456,768541&dq=gerald+archer+chatham&hl=en

Court hears accused's wife

So there!  Please don't make me do all of that work again!   ;) ;)

I will set up a thread over in the 'serial killers' forum to replicate some of this information.

[Edited to try to fix link to second article.  Update #2:  Whoops! all I've succeeded in doing is messing it up completely. I will put the link in a new post.]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:12:01 PM by goNgo »

gibbons

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
goNgo

Brilliant!  Sorry about setting you up like that...but given the excellent work, I will try to think of something else now!

Gibbons

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »
Link to second story referred to in my post above (from the June 16, 1971 Windsor Star):

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=kTM_AAAAIBAJ&sjid=QlEMAAAAIBAJ&pg=2690,1484275&dq=geral+archer+chatham&hl=en

(Sorry about that boss!)

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »
I'm going to use this thread to post articles related to the cases as a whole or in conjunction, up to and including Project Angel.

This will likely not be exhaustive, as it would be ridiculous to go through every single LFP paper from the last forty years (likely the microfiche would cause me to go blind somewhere around 1977), but I'll try to fill in whatever I've run across. Certainly these articles come up during 'peak' periods and anniversaries.  If there's any anyone knows about that contains interesting comparisons, additional information, or photos (I know there's one that actually contains a picture of Irene Gibbons, for instance), please let me know.

The first article, from Oct 18, 1969, was published just over a week after Jackie English's body was discovered. The diagram of where abductions occurred and where the bodies were discovered is food for thought.

The second two articles, from Nov. 7-8, 1969, deal with London City Council debating the merits of an award being offered.

Besides the inherent panic in realizing that the murders over 1968-69 weren't likely isolated incidents (also seen in the high public alert and media discussion after Jackie was found), there are a couple of interesting facts to be gleaned here-- one is that the London Police Force at the time were NOT trained as homicide detectives. That training had yet to be approved and money had to be found to pay for that training. So perhaps it is not surprising how little headway was apparently being made at this time; the detectives just were not prepared for it. (Not sure what the status of the OPP team would be at this point or how they would specifically be working with the city police.)

Secondly, the police commission chairman, which would be in charge of investigating the criticisms levelled at the detective divsion, happened to be Judge W.E.C. Colter, who, one year later, would be the trial judge in the Glen Fryer case. So perhaps Judge Colter came in with an understanding that the criminal investigation may not have been as thorough as could have been hoped.

The fourth article is from Nov. 22 detailing the specific of the rewards being offered, focusing on the Dunleavy, Jensen, and English cases.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:21:27 PM by rkay »