Author Topic: Bill C-23  (Read 3978 times)

Sleuth

Bill C-23
« on: June 16, 2010, 12:48:40 PM »
By CBC News, cbc.ca, Updated: June 16, 2010 1:59 PM
Tories call for quick vote on pardon bill

Tories call for quick vote on pardon bill

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews is urging opposition MPs to help pass the government's tougher criminal pardon bill before the current parliamentary session ends, possibly as early as Thursday.

The urgency stems from revelations that convicted killer Karla Homolka could apply for a pardon on July 5 if the legislation is not passed. Bill C-23 would make it more difficult to obtain pardons.

"I think it's very, very clear that if this bill does not proceed, there will be all kinds of individuals who the vast majority of Canadians will say simply should not be entitled to a pardon," Toews said. "Right now more than 99 per cent of the applications are basically rubber-stamped after the waiting period. That is simply not acceptable."

Bill C-23 would make it impossible for people convicted of sex offences against minors to have their criminal records suspended, except in very specific cases. As well, the period of ineligibility for a pardon would increase to five years from three for summary conviction crimes, and to 10 years from five for more serious indictable offences.

But critics of the bill say pardons help offenders integrate into society because they lower the barrier to find jobs.

The NDP has proposed splitting the bill, so that the part that would pertain to convicted criminals like Homolka could pass quickly, while the rest of the legislation could be considered later. Toews dismissed that possibility, saying the NDP's alternative "effectively guts" the government's proposed legislation.

'I will not allow the gutting of the bill'

"If I can see some amendments in terms of cogent concerns and substantively the bill is upheld, I will consider those," he said. "But I will not allow the gutting of the bill. If they want to go back to their constituents and explain it, I'll let them do that."

Some Liberals have expressed concern that the Conservatives are using Homolka's name to pressure the opposition to pass the bill hastily. Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff said his party is willing to work with the Conservative minority government on it, but vowed that the Liberals would ensure the legislation is done "properly."

"I think Canadians are horrified at the idea that someone convicted of those crimes could ever get a pardon," Ignatieff said.

He pointed out that the government talked about changing the pardon system four years ago. "They prorogued Parliament, and then they tried to find solutions at the last minute," Ignatieff said.

Toews presented the bill in early May after it came to light that convicted sex predator and former junior hockey coach Graham James had been granted a pardon in 2007.
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=24593171

jobo

• View Profile
Re: Bill C-23
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
No Pardon for Homolka.....never.  That's how I feel.  When I hear that she is married and even has a child, I think of her victims......They will never marry, never have children......Homolka was part of their demise.   I think she should still be in jail, like Bernardo.

sally

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »
Hello everyone:  This is my first post and if it is not permitted to provide this link, please just delete.  This is a facebook page set up to rally Canadians against the possibility of Karla getting a pardon:

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/cause_invitations/new?cause_id=475014

I also want to thank everyone for their posts on these various subjects, trying to keep topics alive and in the public forum.  I especially want to thank the administrators of the site for all of their hard work and for letting people state their opinions in an open, frank discussion.  Thank you!

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 04:20:58 PM »
Thanks, Sally....exactly what I was looking for.

Sleuth

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 01:20:01 AM »
Toews said it wasn't everything he wanted, but that a compromise was essential to get legislation in place before summer.

Under the deal, the national parole board would be able to deny any pardon which would bring the system into disrepute

As well, the period of ineligibility for a pardon would increase to five years from three for summary conviction crimes, and to 10 years from five for more serious indictable offences.

All those convicted of serious violent offences would be prohibited from applying for parole for 10 years.

The urgency for the bill stems from revelations that Homolka could apply for a pardon on July 5 if the legislation is not passed.

Asked by a reporter if the bill would specifically prevent Homolka from applying for a pardon, Toews said: "I believe that people like the individual you mentioned would not fit the criteria for a pardon."

The opposition parties had been pushing back, saying that the government is using Homolka's name as a way to get badly drafted legislation passed without proper scrutiny.

The NDP had proposed splitting the bill so that the part that would pertain to criminals like Homolka could pass quickly while the rest of the legislation could be considered later. Toews had dismissed that possibility, saying the NDP's alternative "effectively guts" the government's proposed legislation.

Some Liberals had expressed concern that the Conservatives are using Homolka's name to pressure the opposition to pass the bill hastily.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=24593171
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:21:58 AM by Sleuth »

SAP

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 06:08:42 AM »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100617/national/homolka_pardon

MPs strike deal to head off Homolka pardon

Thu Jun 17, 1:40 AM

By Joan Bryden, The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - Federal political parties have joined forces to ensure notorious sex killer Karla Homolka won't be pardoned for her gruesome crimes.

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
There are some crimes that simply cannot be forgiven or forgotten, says the niece of the woman killed by Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka.

"Forgiveness is up to us, the victims, not the government," said Talin French-Doyle, niece of the late Kristen French.http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2010/06/16/14415406.html