Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Tim Bachman of Turner Overdrive charged in sex assault girl under 14  (Read 6575 times)

Sleuth

Of all bloody things. Will these men never stop!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

BTO guitarist charged with sex assault of minor
Tim Bachman faces charges of sexual touching, interference, assault
Last Updated: Monday, June 14, 2010 | 9:29 PM PT
CBC News
Former Bachman-Turner Overdrive guitarist Tim Bachman is scheduled to appear in court in July to face charges of sexually touching and assaulting a girl under the age of 14 between 2000 and 2004. Former Bachman-Turner Overdrive guitarist Tim Bachman is scheduled to appear in court in July to face charges of sexually touching and assaulting a girl under the age of 14 between 2000 and 2004. (CBC)

Tim Bachman, one of the founding members of the 1970s Canadian rock band Bachman-Turner Overdrive, has been charged with three sex-related crimes involving a minor, CBC News has learned.

The charges against Bachman include one count of sexual touching, one count of sexual interference and one count of sexual assault, all involving the same female, who police say was 11 when the crimes started.

The charges relate to incidents that are alleged to have occurred in Abbotsford, B.C., east of Vancouver, between June 2000 and April 2004, Abbotsford police said.

Bachman, 58, is now a real estate agent in Abbotsford.

A lawyer representing him made an initial court appearance on the charges in Abbotsford Monday. Bachman was not required to appear personally.

Police say they were told about the alleged offences in a complaint made to them about 14 months ago.

"It came to our attention, essentially, through a complaint that was lodged through our front counter on March 28, 2009," said Const. Ian MacDonald.

Bachman, a guitarist, was one of four founding members of multi-platinum selling Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO), along with brother Randy Bachman of Guess Who fame, brother and drummer Robbie Bachman and bass guitarist and vocalist Fred Turner.

Tim Bachman left BTO in 1974, shortly after the release of the band's second album, which contained two of their biggest hits — Let It Ride and rock standard Takin' Care of Business.

Bachman is scheduled to appear in court July 5.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/06/14/bc-tim-bachman-sex-charges.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Tim Bachman of Turner Overdrive charged in sex assault girl under 14
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »
When this creep goes to court he should get the maximum penalty. Also, he should be sued civally by the parents for every penny he has. This girl should get compensation for what she has gone through with this animal. Well here is one person that will never play any of his music. This is disgusting. I feel sorry for this young girl that had to be abused by this creep. ??? ??? ??? ???

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 01:31:15 PM »
Another sick old fart.....fame and fortune went to his head. So many think they can have anything.  And he picked on a little girl.  Give him some jail time with the men.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:29:59 PM »
So does anyone know whether he was found guilty or not?  I think it's premature to label him a pedophile until he is proven guilty.  Based on a quick search that I just did, I can't see anything online further to the charges that were laid in June.

Shadow Girl

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rocker-tim-bachman-found-not-guilty-on-sex-charges-1.1407275

Tim Bachman, a founding member of Bachman-Turner Overdrive has been found not guilty of three charges for an alleged sexual relationship with a girl, in a New Westminster, B.C., courtroom today.

The former rocker was charged with sex assault, sexual interference of a person under 14 and sexual touching of a young person following a complaint to police by a woman who was a foster child in his home from the time she was 11 until she was 14.

Stacy Bohun, 24, alleged Bachman would grope her when she was a foster child living in his home in the Fraser Valley.  She went to police in 2009 and Bachman was charged in 2010.

On Wednesday, Justice Neill Brown concluded that Bohun's testimony was not reliable enough to support a criminal conviction.

During the trial, court heard Bohun had a difficult childhood, which included living in a string of foster homes, her mother's suicide and her own addiction to crystal meth.

A publication ban was imposed on Bachman's name in 2010 to shield the identity of Bohun. But the bans were lifted last month by the judge after an application by The Canadian Press news agency, with the approval of Bohun.

Winnipeg brothers had 1973 hit album

Bachman, 59, and his brothers Randy and Robbie, were founding members of the Winnipeg-based Bachman-Turner Overdrive, also known at BTO.

The band's second album, Bachman-Turner Overdrive II, was released in December 1973 and became a huge hit in the U.S. and Canada, with hit singles Let it Ride and Takin' Care of Business.

In 1974, Tim Bachman left BTO, but rejoined the band in the 1980s for several reunion tours. He has been working as a realtor in Abbotsford since the early 1990s.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 12:58:14 AM »
OMG. Could this be the sister of Casey Bohun, the little girl who vanished without a trace from North Delta many years ago? It says Stacy's mother committed suicide as did Casey's mother several years after her disappearance. Yes it is the same family. Small world. Very unfortunate string of events.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:01:15 AM by leonagleant »

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:21:33 PM »
I was just thinking this! 

As for Bachman, we have no idea what really happened.

But yes the Bohun connection- I saw that right away.  Sounds like too much of a coincidence.  Would explain the sad childhood this woman appears to have had if that is the case.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 05:09:29 PM »
How did this man get foster kids>  No record that I can find that he was even married at the time?
Or was he married at the time.

jb

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »
Bachman is reported to have a son, Paxton Bachman, a rock/blues guitar player, so he could have been married at one point.

I can't imagine how traumatic it must be to go to court and be told you must be imagining the sexual abuse. I wasn't in court but the quotes in the newspaper from Stacy sound convincing enough to be believed. it would seem that what is needed is more victims, if any, to come forward so only time will tell.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:50:28 PM by leonagleant »

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »
It could be she was in foster care her whole life and was abused by another foster parent and thinks its him.  Like another poster said, we just don't know.

Not discounting her story at all, but this happens.  Foster kids go through a terrible time.  A lot of kids can't even remember the names of the families they lived with because they've been in so many homes.  One accused someone and then later admitted it was dad abusing her but it just came out of her wrong- she had to disclose her secret and she didn't feel safe saying it was her dad because she had to keep going back home to him.

There was one story that really sickened me- I think it was somewhere in Saskatoon?-where a kid's mom told him to accuse the foster parents of abusing him, promising it would make the social workers return him home to her faster.  Can't remember the exact news story but it might have been the same one where a bunch of kids falsely accused their parents of abusing them and then finally admitted it wasn't true.  Can't remember the particulars on that one...

Point is, we just don't know enough.  I strongly believe she was sexually abused- no doubt.  I'm just not sure by whom.

This is why I could never be a foster parent- I would constantly be scared of allegations.  these kids just have so many sad stories/problems.

What I really want to know is if anyone knows if she was Casey Bohun's sister.  Any new info?

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 10:40:49 PM »
can't imagine how traumatic it must be to go to court and be told you must be imagining the sexual abuse. I wasn't in court but the quotes in the newspaper from Stacy sound convincing enough to be believed. it would seem that what is needed is more victims, if any, to come forward so only time will tell.

Like others have stated, we just don't know for sure 'what', if anything, went on. All we really know is that he has been found not guilty.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 11:12:27 PM »
Heads up- just noticed this story was from 2010 (unless I am mistaken).  Wonder if anything was reported on since then.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 11:27:20 PM »
He was found not guilty in 2013 and yes Stacy is the sister to the missing person Casey Bohun. You can find more news stories by googling the names.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/10/tim-bachman-sexual-assault_n_3055877.html

http://news.ca.msn.com/missing-childrens-day-may-2013-1?page=5
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:30:46 PM by leonagleant »