Author Topic: Dustin Paxton torture case  (Read 80333 times)

Sleuth

jobo

• View Profile
Re: Dustin Paxton torture case
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 07:27:35 AM »
I hate to sound so heartless, but Paxton probably dropped Dustin off at the hospital because he knew Dustin was close to death, and didn't really have a solution on what to do with his body if he died, it would get too complicated for him.   It would be easier to ditch poor Dustin at this point. 
I don't think Dalhmer is a scary looking guy, and neither is Paxton.....but they are both similar in appearance and they are both demented.

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
It is going to be  interesting what comes out in the trial. I am betting that Paxton left a trail of missing/tortured small animals when he was growing up. There must've been warning signs as you dont just wake up one day and decide to torture a human being. Surely his parents/teachers/caregivers must've seen something to indicate that he is a sadistic soul.

Jobo -  I agree with you on the speculation of dropping Dustin at the hospital. Trying to hide a body can not be an easy task.

Dustin has a long slow road to recovery but at least he gets to see the justice (assuming there are no "technicalities") unlike so many other victims of violence - though I dont see Dustin as a victim - he's a survivor of the violence.

Carol-Lynn

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 04:31:27 PM »
This one sick guy and he should be locked up for life, I can't even think about someone walking the streets ever again. I heard more of his people have come forward after they seen the photo the cops releaced , There tell the cops they also were hurt by this man. So I guess we will hear about more charges on him coming soon.

Unsolved

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 06:10:22 PM »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 06:36:06 PM »
They have to serve justice to Dustin and protect the public and give this perp the max sentence possible, when he is found guilty.   
Other victims, alleging assault, are coming forward....sounds like a pattern might emerge...more reason to throw away the key for this sick puppy. 

haunted

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 07:48:53 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/08/27/calgary-paxton-court-appearance-lafortune.html

LaFortune torture suspect agitated in court

The man accused of confining and brutally beating his former roommate, Dustin LaFortune, appeared confused and agitated Friday as he made his first court appearance by video link in Calgary.

Dustin Ward Paxton, 30, is charged with two counts of aggravated assault and one count of forcible confinement in connection with a long-running series of attacks in Calgary and Regina that left LaFortune disfigured and emaciated.

LaFortune, 26, was dumped at a Regina hospital by an unidentified man in April with injuries his family believes were the result of torture.

When provincial court Judge C.L. Daniel asked Paxton, appearing from the Calgary Remand Centre, whether he understood the charges against him, the accused man replied, "No." He called them "jargon."

"I want a lawyer," Paxton said loudly.

Wearing blue overalls and pacing alone in a locked room in the jail, Paxton vigorously rubbed his hair, and rocked back and forth with his arms tightly crossed.

Paxton has so far only been advised by a duty counsel.

The judge told him he has the option of retaining his own lawyer or applying for legal aid, which Paxton said he would do.

Paxton's next court appearance was set for Sept. 3.

Police believe LaFortune, originally of Winnipeg, was assaulted in Calgary between Dec. 1, 2008, and March 2, 2010, and again in Regina between March 15 and April 16, when he was dropped off at the hospital in Regina.

Paxton was arrested on Monday at a residence in southeast Edmonton and transported on Thursday to Calgary, where the investigation is being handled.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/08/27/calgary-paxton-court-appearance-lafortune.html#ixzz0xrQpZXWT

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
So,  what's with the perps attitude?  Think he is just staging the insanity plea?  He had to have known that with actions and behaviors like that he would end up like this, or worse if left at the hands of others.

On a very positive note though, what an improvement Dustin is making!!!!! That video was awesome.  Tons and tons better than we've seen previously. Great job, Dustin.

SAP

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 11:22:43 AM »
My thoughts too Concerned, he's trying for insanity plea.

I would think this snippet from an article above shows rationality as do many of his moves and therefore I don't think he can get away with the insanity plea...I hope not anyway.

snippet:
(quote)
Police check identity

Police said Paxton was not initially forthcoming about his identity, so Calgary police travelled to Edmonton to verify that the man arrested was Paxton.

Paxton had been renting a bungalow at the end of a cul-de-sac since May. His landlord, Rick Guile, said he had no idea who Paxton really was.

Guile said Paxton told him his name was John Roach, showed him a piece of ID with that name and said he had a job fixing iPods for a living.

It wasn't until Guile received a visit from police on Tuesday night that he heard a different story.

"They interviewed me as to who lived in the house and showed me a picture of Dustin, and I ID'd him," Guile said.(unquote)

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
Dustin looked just great in the video on the news, it was so good to see him looking normal. The news noted that he has brain damage because of the torture. It was stated that Dustin possibly will never be able to live on his own again. I would say that he should be around his loving family and be safe forever. It is sad to think that someone would do this to a young man and that creep that did this to him was supposedly his friend. I note you said there were others who were assaulted by Paxton. I didn't think that Dustin would be the first. And yes, where would he hide the body of Dustin. And possibly there were people that did know that Dustin was living there and would have pointed the finger at him. This creep is not mentally ill, he is crazy like a fox. Mentally ill because he got caught. And crys for a lawyer immediately, there will be lots of cry baby shows now because he got caught. He should be charged with attempted murder.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Annastaisha

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 07:06:39 PM »
SAP - he might try but I dont think he qualifies.. being legally insane means to not realize what you are doing is wrong... he hid it for years, he has a history of the abuses, and he moved - assuming a false identity. He knew what he did was wrong. And I also think that his actions in court didnt lean towards insane. Contemptive, disrespectful and unremorseful. I just hope a jury feels that way too. The more I read about it, the more I think he's a sociopath.

SAP

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 08:17:21 PM »
Annastaisha: That's the word...sociopath suits what he has done. I can't see a jury falling for his acting. He needs life away from humans, alone. He's a predator.

Annastaisha

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2010, 09:09:16 PM »
SAP - I hope that he does get just that...  he will also have to face an eternity given to him by our Maker

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »
It would be really interesting to hear why they turned him down for financial assistance, because if his vicous and horrendous case doesn't qualify. I also have to wonder why the story is closed to commenting.

LaFortune family denied victims' services: mother
Last Updated: Monday, August 30, 2010
The family of a former Winnipeg man allegedly tortured by his former roommate says its pleas for financial assistance to help pay for his rehabilitation have been ignored.

Dustin LaFortune, 26, is moving to Victoria to continue his rehabilitation. (CBC)
Dustin LaFortune's mother, Renee LaFortune, said victims' services groups in Alberta, Manitoba and British Columbia had rejected the family's request for financial and other aid to help with his recovery.

"We were so traumatized and we went to victims' services and they said, 'No, we can't help you,'" Renee LaFortune said.

The family said it has spent thousands of dollars on equipment and psychological counselling for Dustin, who was dumped at a Regina hospital in April covered in burns and stab marks, and missing part of his bottom lip and tongue. He also had brain damage, and was severely emaciated.

The family has ordered a wheelchair, special bed and other devices, Renee LaFortune said. She is also moving to a bigger townhouse in Victoria, where she lives, to accommodate her son's new needs. Dustin was expected to move there Monday from the Wascana Rehabilitation Centre in Regina to continue his recovery.

In April, Dustin LaFortune was left at a Regina hospital covered in scabs and burn marks, and missing part of his bottom lip and tongue. A request to transport Dustin via a subsidized air ambulance service was turned down because the service provider couldn't reach Dustin's doctor to confirm his therapeutic schedule, his mother said.

While she finds the rejection by social services agencies disheartening, Renee LaFortune said the family is buoyed by the flood of support it has received online from more than 48,000 users of the social networking site Facebook.

Dustin LaFortune's former roommate, Dustin Ward Paxton, 30, was arrested on Aug. 24 in southeast Edmonton. He appeared in court on Friday in Calgary, where the case is being handled, on charges of aggravated assault and forcible confinement.

Police believe LaFortune, originally of Winnipeg, was assaulted in Calgary between Dec. 1, 2008, and March 2, 2010, and again in Regina between March 15 and April 16, when he was dropped off at the hospital in Regina.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/30/victoria-lafortune-expenses.html