Author Topic: Dustin Paxton torture case  (Read 81730 times)

Sleuth

Dustin Paxton torture case
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:18:28 PM »

"We were basically our own police and our own media," LaFortune's brother, Ryan, wrote in a recent letter to The Canadian Press. "We have done far better than either to this point."

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=24488135
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:18:50 PM by debbiec »

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Dustin Paxton torture case
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:47:22 AM »
I am definitely in the support of Dustin's family. Come on Calgary Police, get these men arrested that tortured this young man, what in the hell is going on here. I mean you know that it was his roommate, what are you waiting for, so he can run to Brazil or something. I don't get it, even when the police have these animals, they still let them go. Look at what happened with Vandersloot, they had him in their clutches how many times, give me a bloody break. There is no need for slow justice in this case, you know who did this crime. Get out there and make arrests. Make this your top priority. I wonder how you would feel if it was your son or daughter that was tortured, I guess he'd be in the slammer pretty quick. Stop dragging your feet on this one, this is a very shocking case to happen in our civilized country. But if the police can't do their job, quit and get somebody who can do it. Get out there and solve the real violent crimes that are happening, assaults, murders and a case such as this one. It just makes me angry that the person who did this is not in jail as I am writing this post. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Jason van Rassel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »
I am definitely in the support of Dustin's family. Come on Calgary Police, get these men arrested that tortured this young man, what in the hell is going on here.

Regina police are the lead investigators on this case, and frankly, there isn't much for Calgary police to do.

When I poked around about the case a month ago, I certainly turned up evidence that all was NOT right with LaFortune's situation here in Calgary (see the article pasted below). However, neighbours told me LaFortune and his roommate moved out at the end of March. I'd surmise (and I've also been told by a couple of sources) that the injuries that put LaFortune in his current condition were likely inflicted in Regina -- after they left Calgary. Also FYI, their former house in Calgary was completely gutted and renovated by the landlord after they moved out, so it's unlikely it would yield any physical evidence of any value for Calgary police.

Calgarian says man assaulted by ex-roommate; Neighbours often noticed visible injuries
Calgary Herald
Tue May 18 2010
Byline: Jason Van Rassel
Source: Calgary Herald; with files from Canwest News Service and The Winnipeg Free Press

As Dustin LaFortune lies recovering from horrific injuries in a Regina hospital, former neighbours in Calgary are trying to understand how he ended up emaciated and near death.

LaFortune, 26, has told police in Regina that he was assaulted by his former roommate -- an acquaintance he worked for and shared a home with in Calgary's Highland Park neighbourhood.

The horrific details that have emerged since LaFortune was dropped off at a Regina hospital on April 16 have cast a far more ominous light on the happenings at his former home in the 4200 block of Centre Street North.

The house served as the base for a moving company owned by LaFortune's roommate, and one neighbour said it seemed the men worked -- and played -- hard.

It wasn't unusual to hear boisterous laughing coming from the back deck as the men and their friends partied after-hours, but neighbour Tannis Melville-Oberten said hindsight has shown her "there was very much a dark side."

While LaFortune's roommate was polite to a fault when dealing with neighbours -- once apologizing profusely for improperly parking a moving truck -- Melville-Oberten said she often heard profane tirades directed at his employees.

"When he wanted something done, he wanted it done right and he wanted it done yesterday," she said.

LaFortune, meanwhile, was quiet.

"They seemed as different as night and day," Melville-Oberten said.

Her last recollection of LaFortune was seeing him shovelling snow in February -- around the same time his family stopped hearing from him.

One thing that struck Melville-Oberten was LaFortune often had visible injuries.

"We would see him outside and his face would be (swollen) like a moon," she said.

Given LaFortune's job and the seemingly rough-and-tumble crowd he lived and worked with, Melville-Oberten said never occurred to her at the time he was being repeatedly beaten and abused.

"He never said 'boo.' He never said anything to me," she said.

Another neighbour said he also noticed LaFortune's injuries and once asked him about it. "He said it was a big filing cabinet that landed on his face," said the man, who didn't give his name.

LaFortune told family members a similar story when he was taken to a Calgary hospital with broken ribs in September 2009, saying a freezer had fallen onto him.

He weighed only 90 pounds when a man falsely claiming to be his cousin dropped him off at the Regina hospital.

His tongue and bottom lip were cut, his face smashed and his ribs were broken, giving him the appearance of someone who had been tortured, said his mother.

"It's something worse than a horror movie. You can't look at him," said Renee LaFortune, who lives in Victoria.

Renee said her son showed evidence of possible brain damage, struggling to follow conversations and being unable to speak. The extent of his brain injuries, if any, are not yet known.

Police in Regina are now trying to piece together what happened to LaFortune, who moved from Winnipeg to Calgary in 2008 to work for the moving company owned by his acquaintance.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 03:16:04 PM »
Well you don't have to be a rocket scientist here to get the charges laid. So it's another province and the same individual who is the person who committed the crime. Police go from province to province to  arrest criminals, so what's the wait here. I cannot believe they are letting this person get away with the cruelty against Dustin. He knows who did this to him and the police are letting him walk free. It is bad enough in this country to not know who committed a crime, but when the person is there right in front of their eyes and they have eye witnesses to the abuse that Dustin suffered, enough said. Enough is enough on these cases, it is abuse of a friend, lover, wife or whatever, it is abuse and this is so horrific what has happened to this young man. If I was his parents, I would personally get a lawyer and sue him for damages to Dustin. Sue him and make him pay out of his pocket for all the bills, the time lost for work of Dustin and all the damages and pain caused by the family, that should add up to a couple of million. I would be in the lawyer's office yesterday. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Jason van Rassel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 03:41:04 PM »
I didn't make my post as a blanket defence of the police. Your comment was aimed at CALGARY police not doing anything, and my answer was strictly confined to that.

(a) As I said earlier, given what is known (publicly) about the case so far, there is little or no evidence to gather here in Calgary that hasn't already been gathered.

(b) Neither you, nor I, are privy to what information or intelligence police are getting with regard to the POI's whereabouts. It's quite possible Calgary police are very much involved in the search for him -- depending on where he's believed to be. And if Calgary police were involved in actively searching for the POI, that's not necessarily information they'd want known publicly, either.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:43:53 PM by Jason van Rassel »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »
I understand what you're saying, but I thought that everything was in the Calgary area. If the police are looking for this individual, they could be doing it quietly. But time is ticking by and surely they do not want this man to do this to another person. I am just giving comments on what would be things the family could do to get some justice for Dustin. My heart breaks for him, because of the way he looks since he was attacked and abused. His family must be devastated as I know any one of you would be if it was a family member. The quicker this person is charged with the violence he has done, the quicker the case will get to court. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 03:23:13 PM »
Des, I know, it is just outrageous that this case is not just rolling along and getting the perp behind bars. Once an abuser, always an abuser and this perp may harm someone else. I feel like crying when I see Dustin's picture on what was done to him. When animals are abused, they certainly go and arrest someone as soon as possible, so why wait for this time when it is a young man. Dustin was lucky to escape with his life. The family should defiinitely seek a civil action against the person who committed this crime. Get a lawyer on this case and let's see what course it takes then.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 06:59:38 AM »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »
Concerned, it is even worse then I imagine. I am sure if he was in a concentration camp during the war that he would look better then the picture I am seeing. My prayers are with Dustin and I pray that he recovers and is able to testify against the people who did this to him. What this man endured, it is no wonder that he has amnesia. He was tortured so much that he just cannot remember. I pray for his recovery and that the people who did this to him will spend many years behind bars. If he was dropped off at a hospital, there must be video surveillance of who dropped him off. I hope there is lots of support for Dustin in the community. I am glad to hear that there was attention brought to Dustin's case. And I hope the love and prayers of family and friends will help him get back to feeling happy and safe again. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Sleuth

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 02:18:04 AM »
What I find odd about this is why a 26 year old would allow, or live, with someone who is abusing him. If Dustin was a woman, it would be spousal abuse, no? So what happened here that he would allow this?

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 05:33:09 PM »
I've seen it over and over in abuse cases. They wear you down, then threaten you. In really terrible abuse, they start out really sick and extreme where you don't have the chance to leave. If over the months you gain privileges, then you are thankful because it's less than before. Then there are also threats of harming those you love. Perhaps they told him they know where his friends and family live and if he should leave, they would be harmed. When you are abused like that, you would do anything to protect those you love, so they say. If you can't protect yourself, you certainly don't want those around to be like harmed, is the thinking. They break you, then a Stockholm like thing kicks in. On top of that it appears he has brain damage. That could have started early on, and left him with an inability to think logically to get released.

From what I read, Dustin needed a job, income. To do so, it appears he got room and board. The perp got a worker for free and a sick fetish answered. It appears, these perp(s) may have had total control. What I don't understand is where the perp got the courage to drive him to a hospital and let him survive. Is he that protected and that bold that he has no fear of recourse? Makes you wonder why he wasn't caught and why they can't find him. Is there more than one?

I got an eary feeling the other day when I was reading another thread of a guy named Curt missing. I wonder if he could have gotten messed up with the same perp(s). 

I recall some other posts in Ontario where a family member of perps recalled childhood where parents and those they hung around have done this sort of thing for years. The perps are well integrated in the community and ban together with others that like torture. For some reason they have not been busted. Even when their own children were removed from the house. Makes you wonder what part of the system needs to be cleaned up, in all cases. The crimes are horrendous.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »
Are there cameras at the hospital that Dustin was left at? Seems you would have a photo id of the driver, the vehicle and the license, perhaps. If not at the hospital, then in the surrounding areas.

SAP

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100823/national/crime_lafortune_assault_1

Arrest warrant issued in Lafortune assault

Mon Aug 23, 10:41 PM

By The Canadian Press

CALGARY - Calgary and Regina police have issued arrest warrants in the case of a man who was dumped at a Regina hospital starving, burned and with parts of his tongue and lips cut off.

Calgary police say Dustin Ward Paxton, 30, of no fixed address, is being sought on charges of aggravated assault and forcible confinement.

The charges come after a four-month joint investigation by Calgary and Regina police.

Dustin Lafortune was dropped off at the Regina hospital on April 16 and has been there ever since, recovering from physical injuries and what his family describes as amnesia and brain damage.

His family says Lafortune told them he was beaten by a former roommate in Calgary.

They say an individual has bragged about drugging and torturing Lafortune over a period of time.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 02:58:28 PM »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 05:13:34 PM »
Absolutely excellent news. At one point, due to his brain damage they did not know if he would have good enough recall to press charges. This is good news for him and in getting the perp one step closer to justice. Go Dustin!