Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Karen Ewanciw - April 24, 1975 - Age 11 - Edmonton  (Read 21088 times)

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Re: Karen Ewanciw - April 24, 1975 - Age 11 - Edmonton - KARE
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 11:08:40 AM »

Where was Clifford Olsen during this time? He was smart, tricky, and liked to play games. He was a sadist, and liked the emotional pull of sex with children.He also liked to taunt the victim's families.  >:(

haunted

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
Terry Arnold was 42 in 2005 when he commited suicide, therefore he was likely too young to be involved in this case as he would have been only 12. And in Kelly Cook's case he would have been 18, too young, given the profile from the witnesses.

Olsen likely commited more crimes than he was convicted of. He was active around that period of time too I think but I also know that he was in and out of prison a lot and spent a lot of time down east. Will check the thread on Olsen to see what is indicated of him in 1975.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »

Thanks haunted, I have to get going till tonight. I know a bit of Clifford, as I met a man who grew up beside him, and also a landlord who worked with him.

The man who grew up beside him, well, his sister married Olsons brother, if what he said was true.Marriage made in hell if what I heard was true. This guy worked in the DTES of Vancouver, in a large hotel. He knew many victims of the farm.He said that Olsons brother was a ped.I don't know whether to believe this or not.

I know that Clifford, liked to move around, was spontaneous, arrogant, liked to talk, had the gift of gab, joked around a lot. The other side was just crazy in the depths of depravity he went, including taunting victim's families over the years.

sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »
Wow! This blows my mind!  Tonight on the news they had a story about a rapist who was just arrested for a rape that occurred April 6, 1987.  The victim who is now 30 years old will be testifying in court against her attacker James Alexander Parent.  Global Calgary website has the details.
James Parent is 50 years of age & has travelled & lived extensively throughout Alberta.  They are now comparing his DNA to forensic evidence of unsolved murder/rape cases for the last 30+ years.
Could this be the freak we are all looking for, or what?
I can't believe it, but dear lord, I hope this is the bloody SOB!!
Justice for Karen, Kelly & all the other poor souls he has destroyed!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:32:16 PM by sandy »

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 07:37:47 PM »
Wow, that is shocking. I guess when the police test DNA, good things happen. I hope they can speed up that process and test all DNA samples in Canada.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 12:43:54 AM »
Wow, this may be a bigger story soon. I just wish they could test more DNA without having to wait years.

sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
That's it!  I am going to the court house tomorrow.  Anyone live in Calgary & want to join me?  I find this whole thing so compelling.  I really have a feeling this is the SOB.  He would have been 17 years old at the time Karen was murdered.  High School age.  I have been trying to find student databases for McNally High in Edmonton, as well as J H Picard (a few blocks away) to see if he was a student at either school.  No luck, but I'm sure the police are on top of that (i hope).  He would have been 23 years at the time of Kelly Cooks murder, old enough to be a young father needing a babysitter.  I really have a hopeful feeling you guys (& girls).  I find it profound that this has all happened within days of first meeting you all online & discussing everything that we hope to find answers for.  Very surreal!

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »

Good Luck Sandy!

I hope the re opening of the case, brings some final answers. It may well open a big ole can of worms. Who knows what else this guy did? I am in Edmonton, but wish you well in Calgary.

I wonder why there are no pictures of Karen, it just may help the public more.Good luck on your quest for justice.

Des, I feel you are lucky, who knows what this jerk would of done. I doubt you were a trigger, but their are weirdoes all over.

sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »
Thanks Adrian.  I have actually contacted Chatelaine magazine & have asked them if they would reprint the story of Karen which contained a photo of her.  Haven't heard back from them yet, but if they can't reprint the story, I will ask them for a copy & hopefully get a photo of her.  My mother actually has a photo of Karen, her sister & myself back in 1974, but my mother is a pack rat & can't find a thing amongst her junk.  I will eventually see her soon & sort through her boxes of crap & find it. LOL  I wonder if any of Karen's siblings might have gone to school with Parent, maybe that's how Karen was chosen as a victim.  Thanks Desespere for finding that info on Parent.  All your help & support is great everyone!

haunted

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 10:00:55 PM »

Where was Clifford Olsen during this time? He was smart, tricky, and liked to play games. He was a sadist, and liked the emotional pull of sex with children.He also liked to taunt the victim's families.  >:(

I did some more looking, the info on Olson prior to 1980 isn't very detailed, at least not what I have found so far. He was serving a prison sentence in 1974 but I am unsure for how long. He was out in 1978 for sure and commited a crime that is documented. I get the impression he was in prison from 74 to close to 78 but I could be wrong. I have no doubt in my mind that Olson commited more crimes than he admitted to.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 01:39:58 AM »
If I was in Calgary I'd go. Des, that is interesting. You sure have a real good memory.

Maureen47

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 09:21:49 PM »
The Edmonton Police re-opened Karen's case April 24th, 2005.  There was a article in the Edmonton Sun.  The name of the detective in charge was in the article & I did contact him to thank him & to find out where she is buried. (something else I couldn't find).  She does not have a headstone (that's why I can't find her-she's just a number- really sad).  He said that he could not give me the info where she was buried but felt it would be ok to contact family members to find out.  There must be forensic evidence they are re-testing, otherwise they wouldn't re-open her case.  I will find out the Detectives name for you.  My mom worked with a police officer's wife back in 1975.  This woman's husband was working on Karen's case at the time & she told my mother in confidence that they had a suspect who was a Postal worker, who they investigated for quite some time but were never able to prove anything.  They felt it was a man in a uniform who did this & there was a delivery truck seen at the school the day of Karen's murder.  I feel this man has murdered & molested more girls, not just Karen.  Her face was beaten beyond recognition, which leads me to believe she may have known him.  I hope they investigated some of her father's friends at the time.  He was a single father & the family was rather disfunctional with no mother (I believe she died)  Karen's body was identified by dental records & her sister's ring that she wore on her finger.  Most of this info I found out in the newspapers.  We went to Forest Heights Elementary (right by McNally) & the paths down to the river were our hang out.  We played there often.  The school may have a photo of Karen, I wonder.  It's so great to talk to someone about this, so excuse the verbal diarrhea.  I think we have all been brought together by Karen for a reason, she wants to be remembered & she needs justice.  I will go through all my info that I have & get back to you.

I remember this too.  I was 17 at the time, and it was so upsetting.  The news guy started crying when he reported on it.  I am surprised that she does not have a headstone.  I've never forgotten her name.

sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 10:43:32 AM »
Hello Everyone,  It has been a while since I have been back to this web page but I really need to share this info with all of you.  I was visiting friends in Edmonton over this passed weekend & what I have to share with all of you is very bizzaar to say the least.  I don't know how you would term this experience exactly, divine intervention?, six degrees of seperation?, prophetic?  I don't know.  I received some very very interesting information which was all basically placed in my lap over a 20 minute conversation.

conversation details:

James Alexander Parent - Grew up in St. Albert, Alberta, attended Paul Cain High School in St. Albert up until 1975, lived in St. Albert for probably 7 - 8 years after that, heavy drug user, grew up in a very abusive home, he was never married but has a common law spouse who lives in Calgary , he has worked in the oil & gas industry since roughly 1979.

Shane - Was a good friend of James Parent, is the same age, attended Paul Cain High, was a big drug dealer in St. Albert from 1975 to possibly 1983, maybe longer.

It was common knowledge to alot of people who lived in St. Albert from roughly 1976 - 1983 that both these men would drive around elementary schools in St. Albert & check out little girls.

Hetta - common law spouse of James Parent, recalls numerous times when James would go missing for days, but would never divulge info to her of where he had been.  Her testimony of her common law husband could not be used against him when he was acquitted of 10 sexual assault charges back in 1988.

Pat - began working with James Parent in 1983 & worked on & off with him for more than a decade.  When Pat heard of James Parents arrest the beginning of Sept, 2008.  He now recalls numerous times that while working & travelling from city to city & town to town, that there would always be some sort of unsolved incident occurring when ever he was working with James Parent.  They would head off to another city or town & either in the papers or tv, Pat would hear of missing persons or sexual assault cases.

I have reported all of this information to the police & have also asked that James Parent & Shane B. be questioned about the unsolved murders of Karen Ewanciw, Kelly Cook & Tanya Murrell.  I was told that if I want anything to add to my report file that I can do so at anytime.

I know that all of you who are members of this web site are concerned citizens & I value you opinions, ideas & suggestions.  If you have comments, additional info or anything you can add to this, then please let me know.

Why I ended up finding out all this info is still a mystery to me, but I know that by reporting it to the police & to all of you was a definate must.

Sandy
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:12:24 PM by sandy »

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 01:28:17 AM »
Wow, that is great! One thing for sure, pedo freaks never change and are always up to something.

It could be a stretch, but at least it is something the police can look at.

GOod work!

sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »

Thanks Chris but as for the good work though, I didn't do anything really, other than report it.  That's the weird thing about it.  It all stemmed from a very casual conversation about nothing.
What I'm wondering is, based on his criminal history that is known, he seems to not have a preference whether it be women or little girls, so maybe he doesn't have a preference to just sexual assault.  If he had this friend doing the same sick stuff with him, sexual assault & murder could have been a definate possibility.  Just my gut feelings.  I'm just glad they have him in custody.  He's gonna pay...finally!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:31:21 AM by sandy »

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here