Author Topic: Niagara Region Serial Killer - Is it Possible?  (Read 18384 times)

Desespere

Niagara Region Serial Killer - Is it Possible?
« on: May 24, 2007, 01:46:49 PM »
I do not have a link to this article, but have provided the copyright information.

Who Killed Them?

NIAGARA POLICE HUNT FOR LINKS IN FIVE SLAYINGS

By John Burman
The Hamilton Spectator
ST. CATHARINES (Jan 27, 2006)

Niagara police want to know if a serial killer is involved in the unsolved murders of five young women in the region since 1995.

Police have launched a task force to examine the homicides.

The bodies of the five women -- linked by their involvements in high risk lifestyles including drugs, the sex trade and exotic dancing -- were dumped outdoors in Niagara.

Cassey Cichocki, a 22-year-old exotic dancer who used drugs, is the latest victim.

Her body was found wrapped in a sheet just off Whirlpool Road near Church's Lane Tuesday afternoon.

Police will not reveal the cause of death and say only that her death was "some time ago."

Niagara police Chief Wendy Southall consulted with Hamilton and Halton police yesterday prior to the announcement.

But Southall said it was to advise Hamilton Chief Brian Mullan and Halton Chief Ean Algar about Niagara's investigation, not to seek information about attacks on women in the sex trade gleaned from Project Advocate.

Advocate was a joint Hamilton-Halton investigation of the murder of a 19-year-old prostitute, the disappearance of a 29-year-old sex-trade worker and a 15-year-old girl who lived on the street.

Project Advocate was disbanded in May 2004 after two men were charged with some incidents but the homicide is unsolved. Southall said the Niagara task force will probe the following murders:

* Cassey Cichocki, of Niagara Falls, was reported missing Dec. 10, 2005, five days after she called her mother in Port Colborne and told her she would be home for Christmas.

Her body was spotted in a bush area Tuesday afternoon by a man walking along a hydro-right-of-way near Whirlpool Road and Church's Lane, just a few blocks from where she had worked as a dancer.

* The body of Margaret Jeannette Jugaru, 26, of Niagara Falls, was found kneeling in the middle of the Princess Margaret elementary school parking lot on Culp Street in Niagara Falls July 9, 2004, by a man taking his son to day care. She was last seen alive the day before.

* The body of Diane Christina DiMitri, 28 of Niagara Falls, was found Aug. 9, 2003, dumped in a ditch at Darby Road and Grassybrook Road near the Niagara Falls city limits. Diane worked in the sex trade.

* The body of Nadine Gurczenski, 26, of Toronto, was found in a ditch beside Victoria Avenue near Eighth Avenue in Vineland, May 8, 1999, less than 24 hours after she was last seen alive at a strip club in Mississauga where she used the name Marilyn as an exotic dancer.

Shortly afterwards, police released a composite photograph of a suspect wanted for Gurczenski's slaying -- the only suspect police have to date for any of the five homicides the task force will look at.

Police said yesterday their hunt for this unknown man is still active but he is not considered a suspect in any of the other four slayings the task force is looking at.

* The fifth homicide police will look at is the murder of Dawn Stewart, a 31-year-old pregnant mother of two young boys, who worked in the sex trade to make ends meet.

Stewart, of Niagara Falls, was reported missing Sept. 27, 1995. On March 31, 1996, her remains were found in a wooded area near Centre Street in Pelham.

Southall and major crimes unit commander Inspector Brian Eckhardt would not comment on similarities between the homicides or the causes of death of any of the women because it may compromise their investigation. Police have previously said post mortems indicated all suffered some form of trauma.

The families of all five women were contacted before the press conference and told of the police plan to re-double their efforts to solve the slayings.

Jugaru's mother, Peggy Hall, attended the press conference but did not speak.

She told reporters afterwards she was there to "make sure they remember these women -- not just my daughter Jeannette -- but all of these women were someone's daughters, mothers, sisters and friends.

"Remember, there was a lot more to them than their 'high-risk lifestyle,'" she said.

Southall would not explain specific details about each woman's involvement in risky activities or how those activities were related to their deaths.

"Our priority is to solve each unsolved homicide," she said.

Eckhardt also said police will not comment on the cause of death in each or all the cases or whether there are any suspects.

Eckhardt said the investigative team will look for similarities in the cases beyond the women's lifestyles but will not comment on what those may be.

"They were not all found in similar areas," he said, although all were outdoors.

As far as looking for a serial killer, Southall said the Niagara police "are providing the resources to investigate (these) unsolved homicides and part of that is to find out if there is (a serial killer).

"But we are providing resources to investigate the current and the past to determine whether or not there is (a link)," she said.

Niagara Falls police have released this composite picture of a man that was seen with Toronto stripper Nadine Gurczenski before she disappeared in May 1999.

[Picture to come]

1. Dawn Stewart
Missing: Late September 1995.
Found: Wooded area, Pelham 1996.

2. Nadine Gurczenski
Missing: From club May 6, 1999.
Found: Vineland ditch, May 8, 1999.

3. Diane Christina DiMitri
Missing: Body found same day.
Found: Niagara Falls, Aug. 9, 2003.

4. Margaret Jeannette Jugaru Age: 26
Missing: Not reported missing.
Found: Niagara Falls, July 9, 2004

5. Cassey Cichocki
Missing: Since Dec. 4, 2005.
Found: Niagara Falls, Tuesday.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Niagara Region Serial Killer - Is it Possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 02:49:12 PM »
I think so. Ontario is way behind the times on these things. Vancouver and Edmonton changed the way they handle potential serial killers in the past few years and no longer just keep denying there is one out there. Ontairo on the other hand still does not want to admit there is one.

Keep in mind that Detroit just busted a serial killer who targeted prositutes too, and that is not that far away from Detroit.

I wonder if the USA side at Buffalo has any of these too, I will look into that.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:37:52 PM »

At least the Niagara murders, didn't take twenty plus years to get looked at. I think Pickton, and the Edmonton Serial Killer finally getting attention, has the police more willing to look at the idea of serial killings, and how there appears to be so many.

Just look at the Canadian Northwest, it has become a killing zone, for many predators.They should open a serial killer jail, shove them all in, and let them go at each other. No writing letters either.No computers. No newspapers. They would all go squirrley.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:24:19 PM »

At least the Niagara murders, didn't take twenty plus years to get looked at. I think Pickton, and the Edmonton Serial Killer finally getting attention, has the police more willing to look at the idea of serial killings, and how there appears to be so many.

Just look at the Canadian Northwest, it has become a killing zone, for many predators.They should open a serial killer jail, shove them all in, and let them go at each other. No writing letters either.No computers. No newspapers. They would all go squirrley.

Throw in the child molesters too.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
I found 2 sex trade workers form Hamilton Ontario that are missing. I could not find but maybe 1 from Niagara.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:20:54 AM »
OK, I found another from Hamilton, but she is listed as murder from Burlington where they found here.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »
Diane Dimitri & Cichocki have been tied to Micheal Durant
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_905.aspx

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 02:19:23 PM »
Maybe Hamilton too, it's just a quick trip up the highway from this area. But then again, half of Canada lives within 2 hours of Toronto so there very well could be many of these.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »
Can't find anything. Maybe they are still investigating?

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:27:02 PM »
Does anybody know how to get in touch with Harriet because I'll ask her if she's heard anything?

No idea.  I haven't heard anything in over a year.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 01:16:09 PM »

Des, Last I heard of her, was at least a year. She often wrote me, and confided. She was moving and making a new start. :)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 11:24:34 PM »
Nope nothing here, back in January here and Willow had a falling out of some kind and that was the last time someone even mentioned her to me.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »
Wow I live in Niagara Falls and this is the first I have ever heard of there perhaps being a serial killer.  But this police force aren't any better than thunder Bay opp so doubt they will ever catch the killer.

butterflies

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 11:27:07 AM »
Just a thought... I could be WAAAY with this but I remember hearing one of these victims had their hands removed, as well as another one might have..
I came across this, even though it is more "extreme" could these be somehow related? Buffalo isn't at all far from Niagara falls..

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/womans-dismembered-body-found-in-vacant-new-york-home/

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 05:12:38 PM »
In that article you posted the link to, butterflies, does say the two women, Loretta and Terri were relatives.  The article also says they Both had the same lifestyles and we're trying to clean up.
Does make one think there is just too many similarities for the crimes not to attributed to a serial killer.